• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega: Mario & Sonic at the Olympics could be the top selling game for all platforms

Guy Legend

So says Sega product manager Phil Lamb.....

We can win Xmas sales race, says Sega

We can win Xmas sales race, says SegaAndrew Wooden Today, 11:20am

Publisher says upcoming Mario & Sonic title could become Christmas number one
Sega believes that its marketing campaign for Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games could help it scoop the Christmas number one.

Speaking to MCV, Sega product manager Phil Lamb said: “This will be a leading title at Christmas. We have fully set our sights on it being the number one Wii title but are confident that this title has the potential to also achieve the top slot in the All Formats chart too.”

Sega claims the title represents the next step on from the massively successful Wii Sports, and has put in place what it describes at its “biggest ever and widest reaching media campaigns,” – which it hopes will ensure it achieves its goals.

“As sports titles go, Wii Sports was really just the tip of the iceberg,” continued Lamb. “Mario and Sonic goes way below the surface. We’ll be following Nintendo’s lead and ensuring that we are effectively hitting that universal audience of five to 95 year-olds from as many angles as possible. TV will take the lead with a massive campaign running from launch through to the new year.”

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/28637/We-can-win-Xmas-sales-race-says-Sega

Innotech

Banned
depends on how its marketed. I, for, one, have already preordered this sucker.
So far Ive pretty much rented or bought everything Sega has made for the system and enjoyed the majority of it. Not so sure about Ghost squad though.

i still think this game shoud of been the only one with Mario and Sonic ANNOUNCED until the new year.
Sakurai only announced Sonic was in, as he wanted the Smash Thread to topple the Halo thread.
Whenever the thread close together he drops a big update....... Wily bastard!!!

This game though.
Yeah HAS potential but it is up against Mario Galaxy (And WiiFit in other places outside of anywhere NoE have a say in a games release!!

jarrod

Banned
They mean number one 3rd party game right? Because no way is this game going to out sell Mario Galaxy over the holidays...

I don't think so... Most people see Mario & Sonic as the mini-game collection cash-in that it is.

The only people who will buy this game are strong Nintendo and Sega fans.

Sega Superstars Tennis, on the other hand...

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
koam said:
Isn't the game supposed to be another mini-game fiasco only shitty?
All the impressions and previews I've seen so far didn't make that sound like the case...has there been newer ones?

suaveric

If this game wasn't coming out this fall, I would be bashing Nintendo everyday for not having Wii Sports 2 ready for the holidays.

Unless the game is absolute shit, this game will give all the other games on Wii a run for their money in the sales department.

Tiktaalik

I used to think that Namco was the most delusional company when it came to predicting sales figures, but statements like these make me think that Sega might be a rival to that crown. Midway is probably a close third. :lol

PkunkFury

TheGreatDave said:
I don't see what is unappealing about this game. Everybody agreed Wii Sports was fun, and this is more in depth and has Wario.

I find the mascots terribly unappealing. If this were "Wii Olympics" I'd be all over it. I'm a big Mario fan, too, but it's hard to get other people to care about games that star cartoony mascots they aren't familiar with. Esepcially when those mascots include Sonic's friends :\

I honsetly think the Mario vs. Sonic angle will hurt sales more than they help in the long run

I'm also concerned the people behind MonkeyBall's minigames are involved with this, since it's Sega, and a bunch of these mini games were in MonkeyBall. Do we know who's actually working on this? Are impressions positive? I haven't been keeping up

Kenka

Tiktaalik said:
I used to think that Namco was the most delusional company when it came to predicting sales figures

So true. I still remember their predictions about Namco x Capcom and Gundam Musou :lol

Sega did also well in the past with Virtua Fighter Cyber Generation.

PkunkFury said:
I find the mascots terribly unappealing. If this were "Wii Olympics" I'd be all over it. I'm a big Mario fan, too, but it's hard to get other people to care about games that star cartoony mascots they aren't familiar with. Esepcially when those mascots include Sonic's friends :\

I honsetly think the Mario vs. Sonic angle will hurt sales more than they help in the long run

I'm in full agreement here. Wii Olympics would be a perfect followup to Wii Sports-but this is something else entirely that won't immediately lure in the mass market that liked Wii Sports. It also doesn't make much sense with the cartoon mascots-mii vs. mii is a much more sensible race than Sonic vs. anyone.

I'm pretty sure it was confirmed that Sega's internal studios were working on this, with some supervision from Miyamoto.

But has Bauhaus does anything since Monkey Ball? The minigames in Sonic Wii were done by Sega, not them. With any luck publishers haven't been giving them any work after that disaster.

Unison

PkunkFury said:

No doubt... Wii Olympics would have been a better seller. I know you can play with your Mii in this game, but still...

Bluecondor

PkunkFury said:

I'm also concerned the people behind MonkeyBall's minigames are involved with this, since it's Sega, and a bunch of these mini games were in MonkeyBall. Do we know who's actually working on this? Are impressions positive? I haven't been keeping up

There is Mii integration in the game as well. You can apparently add up to 4 Miis into each of the single player events, so it has the same "party game" appeal as Wii Sports. I can see this being the game you break out at Thanksgiving and Christmas to show your family.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
They have a big marketing budget, eh?

Anyone interested in what the top ten selling games of last year, what their marketing budgets were? I could provide, could be interesting to make a comparison of marketing budget vs sales success, if anyone cared to

Flakster99

koam said:
Isn't the game supposed to be another mini-game fiasco only shitty?

The game's quality is an unknown quantity at this point, though it does looks fun, it's an Olympics game, what other type of gameplay are you expecting?

Olympics games sell well, Mario games sell very well, and Sonic games sell well despite Sonic's recent rep.

Perhaps Sega is overstating, but I honestly don't see how this WON'T be a major success. In fact, if it ISN'T, heads at Sega will roll.

TJ Spyke

No6 said:
In what country?

I think they usually do well in PAL territories.

While I do have interest in the game, I think the top selling game this holiday will easily be Super Mario Galaxy.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
John Harker said:
They have a big marketing budget, eh?

Anyone interested in what the top ten selling games of last year, what their marketing budgets were? I could provide, could be interesting to make a comparison of marketing budget vs sales success, if anyone cared to

I want to see this

Xeke

Banned
Guybrush Threepwood said:
I don't think so... Most people see Mario & Sonic as the mini-game collection cash-in that it is.

The only people who will buy this game are strong Nintendo and Sega fans.

Sega Superstars Tennis, on the other hand...

Maybe most people on GAF but the people on this website are not representative of the people who are going to buy this game.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Mario and Sonic the best selling game of the year?

Uhhhhhh.... no. With competition like Halo 3 and Galaxy, Sega doesn't stand a chance.

Xeke

Banned
ZealousD said:
Mario and Sonic the best selling game of the year?

Uhhhhhh.... no. With competition like Halo 3 and Galaxy, Sega doesn't stand a chance.

You didn't read it very well.

The best selling title of the Christmas period.

jman2050

I keep saying this, but does everyone just forget Pokemon exists?

EDIT: Oh, Christmas period... misleading thread title ftl

acidviper

Banned
If it is a 9.5ish game its already got the right infrastructure in place. A helpful marketing push could also do wonders. But if they are pressing 10 million copies, in the hopes that grannies and grandpas are going to buy this, they are out of their minds.

Baryn

Banned
I haven't wanted this game once since I first heard about it. In fact, I tried to undo its existence with sheer will and failed, I'm sorry.

Baryn said:
I haven't wanted this game once since I first heard about it. In fact, I tried to undo its existence with sheer will and failed, I'm sorry.
Baryn, you fucking hate everything SEGA does anymore, no one cares what you have to think about the topic anymore.

PkunkFury said:

because no-one bought mario party

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Its basically a Wii version of track and field, with three major, all age-friendly, licenses attached to it, and is on a console that is supposed to have mass appeal, so from a marketing standpoint, this is "sure thing."

Although past Olympic branded games haven't performed so hot in the sales charts.

Enk

makes good threads.
Had it been Mario and Sonic "The Platformer" made by Nintendo, then yes I believe it would've had a chance. But this letdown of a long awaited team up is not going to stand a chance against some of the other games PERIOD. Sega once again being crazy in the brain.

Innotech

Banned
Sega does have a point though. But its a long shot. Given the absolute right amount of marketing that hit the right audience during the holiday peak, this game could really REALLY take off. But Im doubting it highly. When does it come out again? I think they need to make THAT quite clear first and foremost.

[Nintex]

This game will be their biggest game that's for sure.
With this game, Sonic Adventure, SEGA Rally and the announcement of the tennis game and rumors of Skies of Arcadia 2 SEGA seems to be preparing a comeback!

White Man

I see the Terribleness of Sega has leaked from their current development teams and directly into the people that talk to the presses. These Olympics games never sell well, which is why folks stopped fighting over the license. Mario may be able to sell a few copies, get it into the top 10 for a month, but that's it. And Mario will also get some form of videogame hepatitis from Sonic, who has been wallowing in shit filled with rusty nails for the better part of a decade now. His career will be over.

Top Bottom