• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Ace Combat 6 thread of narrative bloat and online joy

gkryhewy

ac6_banner.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE November 7, 2008

A host of good news on this game, and I thought it was worth bumping this thread. I'll also update the OP with this info.

1. Price (US) has been dropped to $27.99 shipped on Amazon (LINK). It's rumored that this is because the game is about to get a Platinum Hits re-release with some of the DLC added to the disc (in particular, the holiday-themed planes are rumored to be included). You may want to wait on that, but $27.99 is a good deal in the meantime. In addition, the some of the DLC (including the holiday-themed planes) is now free:

Ace Combat® 6 Soars to Platinum Hits Status with Free Downloadable Content

November 6, 2008 - NAMCO BANDAI Games America today announced that Ace Combat® 6: Fires of Liberation™ for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft has achieved Platinum Hits status and is now available nationwide for a suggested retail price of $29.99. Additionally, players across North America can now download the following previously released premium holiday-themed aircraft and multiplayer stages for free:

F-14D – Halloween A-10A – Christmas F-14D – Zipang Team Battle 1 Battle Royale 1 Co-op Battle 1 Co-op Battle 2 Siege Battle 1

Thrusting players into massive living battlefields, Ace Combat 6 lets players pilot cutting-edge real world aircraft such as the F-22 Raptor and A-10 Thunderbolt as they take on screaming enemy fighter jets, ground-based anti-air emplacements and hulking naval vessels. Up to 16 players can test their dogfighting skills online in a variety of multiplayer modes, including objective-based air raids and cooperative missions. Unanimously praised by critics and fans alike, Ace Combat 6 was chosen as one of Time Magazine’s top 10 games of 2007 and lauded as “bigger, better and even more photorealistic than its predecessors” by USA Today.

Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation, exclusively for Xbox 360, is available at retailers nationwide.

2. The Flight Stick Bundle is being re-released as a Best Buy exclusive for $149.99. (LINK) This is showing up in stores already, and should show up online soon. Even better, it's going to be on sale for $129.99 starting Sunday 11/9 (aka, this Sunday). The Best Buy exclusive bundle includes an exclusive "Speed & Angels" DVD :)lol ), in addition to the rest of the stuff (faceplate, stick, etc).

---------------------------------------------------------

Release dates:

NA: October 23, 2007 (game only or flight stick bundle)
Japan: November 1, 2007 (game only or flight stick bundle)
Europe: November 23, 2007 (game only)

Platform(s):
-Xbox 360
-Playstation3 (probably eventually)

North American boxart:
51L5ig0myIL._SS400_.jpg

Superior Japanese boxart:
pa.105197.1.jpg

North American flight stick bundle
-includes game, unique faceplate, and Hori flight stick [wired - will also work on PCs]):
41iRNIJ5PAL._SS400_.jpg

EB/Gamestop preorder bonus faceplates (these are different and separate from the LE stick bundle faceplate):
faceplates.jpg

Official Sites:
North America: http://www.acecombatsix.com/
Japan: http://www.acecombat.jp/ace6/index.html

Wallpapers:
1:
wallpaper_sam01.jpg

1024x768, 1280x1024
2:
wallpaper_sam02.jpg

1024x768, 1280x1024
3:
wallpaper_sam03.jpg

1024x768, 1280x1024
4:
wallpaper_sam04.jpg

1024x768, 1280x1024
5:
wallpaper_sam05.jpg

1024x768, 1280x1024
6: 1024x768, 1280x1024
7: 1024x768, 1280x1024

Videos:
Trailer 1: http://youtube.com/watch?v=IKgOAdnZ7Aw
Trailer 2: http://youtube.com/watch?v=2bNvn8l0OD8

Promotions:
1. Play & Win Sweepstakes:
Play online weekend of 10/26 – 10/28, one entry per day, register gamertag at: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/a/acecombat6/playandwin/default.htm
2. $30,000 Military vs. Civilian 2-on-2 Team Tournament: http://acecombat6.ggl.com/

Single player:
15 branching missions
15 planes, with 3-4 weapons load options and color schemes (with related stat changes) each

Multiplayer:
-Battle Royale: 16 player deathmatch
-Team Battle: Up to 8v8 team deathmatch
-Siege Battle: Up to 4v4 - teams alternate assaulting and defending a variety of land, sea, and air-based targets
-Co-op Battle: Up to 4 player coop against computer-controlled enemies in "a selection of cooperative missions"

DLC:
-New plane variants/color schemes: currently there is one free plane, and three 200 point planes (some color schemes adjust aircraft parameters):
*F-16C SCARFACE EMBLEM (free): Scarface squadron coloration from Ace Combat 2. Armor(+), speed(-)
*F-16C TYPE ACE 2 (200 points): Performance characteristics of Ace Combat 2 F-16C variant (lacks SP weapons)
*F-15E ACTIVE STRIPES (200 points): Better maneuverability, reduced armor and payload
*F-14D HALLOWEEN (200 points): F-14 with Jack-o-Lantern pattern. No performance changes mentioned
-All New Higher difficulty single player missions featuring new enemy types (TBA)
-New VS and coop multiplayer stages (TBA)

TwIsTeD

RiskyChris said:
Just a heads up, the PC will natively recognize this controller just like 360 controllers.

Mega win.

really.....holy shit then its getting opened when i get home, what did you use to confirm this by chance?

RiskyChris said:
Just a heads up, the PC will natively recognize this controller just like 360 controllers.

Mega win.

Mega win indeed. Just hope they have some left by the time i can get out to gamestop tonight.

TwIsTeD said:
really.....holy shit then its getting opened when i get home, what did you use to confirm this by chance?

Well, I plugged in the stick and went to the game controllers in control panel. Everything on the stick registers in that menu.

dejay

Banned
I can't wait to play this sucker....at the end of next month. Europe and Australia screwed again. It's not like the PAL market is important or anything.

watership

unomas said:
To buy or not to buy...with VF5 coming in a week and still playing Halo 3. Damn this is tough!

I think as soon as we see a good video review from either Gamespot (whos vreview is borked) or Gametrailers, we'll be sunk. We really haven't seen much in terms of missions beyond the first demo stage.

jet1911

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I have big manly-man hands. Is it true that the guard on the stick makes it uncomfortable for large hands?

I have big hands too and I tried a similar stick in store the other day and I had no problems.

RavenFox

Banned
Oh Jesus I need to play this badly. Damn I need to play this like now.

edit: lol at the replies on youtube.
cherrypoppa92 (22 hours ago) Show Hide Marked as spam
0 Good comment Poor comment
(Reply)
the thing was they had to get the one that can handle the graphics... so yeah 360.. luckily for me i have an xbox 360

I mean really lol. AceCombat would shine on either system.

Is there any real chance that Gamestop locations ordered more than enough to cover their preorders (I'm talking about the stick bundle)?

RumFore

Banned
Anyone has some feedback on the sticks? I just holding out to see if there worth it and can be used on the PC.

Edit- Oh shit..works on pc. Great!

unomas

Banned
watership said:
I think as soon as we see a good video review from either Gamespot (whos vreview is borked) or Gametrailers, we'll be sunk. We really haven't seen much in terms of missions beyond the first demo stage.

Yeah, I'm hoping the online multi is good but I'm just not sure as all my time is going to be taken up with VF5, Halo 3, Gears, and now possibly AC6. Decisions decisions...

Carl2282

Buying through gamefly (Sorta)day one purchase
i'll have it in a day or two send me a message if you want to be my wingman

Tzeentch

The sticks being usable on PC is fantastic news. Are they decent quality? I need to get a new stick anyways for when the new Lock On comes out, and this may be a good multi-purpose alternative.

RumFore

Banned
Any word on if there take offs and landings like in part 4?

watership said:

Basically every frigging review site and mag gave it a 8.0 or better except for EGM that gave it a 6.5. Fuckers.

Gowans

Tzeentch said:
The sticks being usable on PC is fantastic news. Are they decent quality? I need to get a new stick anyways for when the new Lock On comes out, and this may be a good multi-purpose alternative.

Ooohh! IL2 oooh!

Please be region free, can anyone check?

Cant wait for the online.

Can see some GAFs on my FL are playing, online impressions?

EGM92

The OP says "Higher Difficulty Missions" under DLC, are these new missions? or just difficulty levels like Hard, Aces, etc? That would be a fucking turn off to anyone who's buying the game to have to PAY for higher difficulty levels and even missions for that matter.

Pakman

Nice job on the thread gkrykewy. Played the first mission with my flightstick and never experienced any slowdown on framerate. Controls handle well though it's a little annoying to have the R-bumper button placed on the bottom of the flightstick. Your pinkie rests on it and it's hard not to pull on the R-bumper (which activates auto-pilot).

As for the PC recognizing the Edge flightstick, I'll re-confirm that it does. It installs the stick after you plug it in and recognizes it as the Ace-Edge flightstick. Though it seems when you test the controls, the throttle is actually tied to the Z-axis along with yaw. So get the Z-axis all the way down or up you need to have the trottle cranked up or down and be pulling right or left on the yaw buttons. I'm pretty sure the Z-axis shouldn't be tied up like this so I'll try to calibrate it and/or install Lock On: MAC and see how it works if I have time later today.

Edit: I'll try out the online portion next (though I'm going to get my ass kicked since I"m not used to the HOTAS setup yet).

I'll repost my pictures of the bundle (not great pictures since I just snapped them real quick).

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

Don't ask me what's up with the language on the back of the box. I have no clue. (it's the US version)

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

The buttugly DLC.

IMG_0250.jpg

The reviews weren't kidding about the menus being last-gen.

RumFore

Banned
Man thats awesome though I could do without it being white. Pakman does the sticks feels like quality stuff and can you take off and land in the game?

Pakman

RumFore said:
Man thats awesome though I could do without it being white. Pakman does the sticks feels like quality stuff and can you take off and land in the game?

Flightstick is pretty sturdy. I'll need to play around with it more to give you a better impression though. Rumble feedback seems to work well. Never shakes to much that it interferes with your flying, but shakes enough to let you know it's there. But I only played the first mission (which is exactly the same as the demo).

And for landing/taking off - the reviews state that you can. But like I said, I only played the first mission so I never got the chance to. Once I do I'll update you on it.

watership

Pakman said:
The reviews weren't kidding about the menus being last-gen.

They're not 'next gen' but they're very in tune with the digital text type displays the series always has used. It's a design choice, representing the digital displays in modern fighter aircraft.

/air combat apologist. :D

Pakman

watership said:
They're not 'next gen' but they're very in tune with the digital text type displays the series always has used. It's a design choice, representing the digital displays in modern fighter aircraft.

/air combat apologist. :D

Err I wasn't trying to take a shot at AC's menu. I was trying to show that the reviews were right about them not changing it much from past AC games. It doesn't bug me at all.

I got my stick pack as well. I really hope that Namco doesn't release a version with extras for the PS3 several months down the line like what they are planning to do for Eternal Sonata.

This might seem retardedly obvious for anyone else, but if you want to use the stick, I recommend going into 1st person view. I thought I could get by in 3rd person, but it's much easier in the cockpit.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Just got home with my copy, I'll be on later tonight if anyone wants to try out the multiplayer.

gt-purg3

Top Bottom