• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power Reviews: December 2007 Vol.222

Just quoted important parts from the reviews.

4zxf94z.jpg

Zack And Wiki

"The point and click adventure has gone the way of the dodo in recent years, so when one as engaging as Capcom's Zack And Wiki comes along, it's a cause for celebration."

535vwis.jpg

Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker

"Jokers is not quite a Pokemon pretender...yet the parallels are undeniable..And not only do his monster align themselves to a Pokemonesque rock,paper,scissors circle of dominance, but two monsters can mate to make a third variety...WFC"

4mwjg92.jpg

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core

"Play GGXXAC with a Gamecube or Classic controller, and you'll be treated to 2-D one-on-one fighting at its finest..."

6ff8njs.jpg

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials And Tribulations

"...the outcome is no different from before: we've got another excellent DS graphic-text adventure on our hands...."

54mkvhh.jpg

Mega Man ZX Advent

"...Excellent anime story scenes link the action stges and feature extensive use of voices...several multi player options to give Advent longer legs..."

2uztehl.jpg

Naruto: Path Of The Ninja

"...pretty basic RPG, it does a nice job of immersing Naruto fans...The game doesn't push the DS; the graphics are so-so, the top of the screen isn't used for anything special, and the control pad usually works better than stylus controls...Only 10-12 hours to beat...the time that it does offer is well spent."

4v2whza.jpg

Guitar hero III: Legends Of Rock

"If I could only buy one game this holiday season it would be Guitar hero III. Why? Maybe it's that I'm not a rock star, but each time I strap the plastic guitar around my neck I feel like I am...New Nintendo WFC and co-op career modes."

2ztiqsz.png

Naruto: Clash Of Ninja Revolution

"The latest version is basically a roster update. Oh and use the classic controller; it's more responsive than the remote's limited motion control."

4vra6ad.jpg

WWE SmackDown VS Raw 2008

"Anyone can jump in and star grappling thanks to simple controls and a robust roster...Unfortunately, accessibility has been achieved at the expense of depth. There aren't many moves to go around and most of the characters feel the same."

4qh25ww.jpg

MLB Power Pros

"MLB Power pros proves that looks can be deceiving. Beneath the game's cartoony exterior lies and honest-to-goodness baseball sim with a heck of a lot of depth."

54b85m8.gif

Front Mission

"Unfortunately there's no way to target a particular enemy part or to skip the animation sequences that shows every attack...The battles are sufficiently strategic...you could spend more than an hour in a single skirmish."

4y00hgo.jpg

Geometry Wars: Galaxies

"Aiming via Wiimote gestures works well-subtle gestures offer smooth and accurate targeting..."

54djy4k.png

Battalion Wars 2

"At times the story feels to intricate-spanning 200 years and featuring six armies...The series transition to the Wii has produced mix results..."

53qhjbr.jpg

Contra

"I'm shocked at just how well they nailed Contra....It's intense, fast-paced and hard..."

6d2cwf9.jpg

Bleach: The Blade Of Fate

"Still, players looking for a challenge should fear not. The roll of the credits is just the beginning. here are 22 additional episodes and multi player.."

4t7p2dh.png

Fire Emblem: Path Of Radiance

"Here's a bit of heresy: motion controls aren't required for every Wii title, and in the case of Fire Emblem: Path Of Radiance, intelligent Systems made the right move..."

Dahbomb

but two monsters can mate to make a third variety

but two monsters can mate to make a third variety

but two monsters can mate

two monsters can mate

monsters can mate

monsters mate

MATE

E-phonk

Banned
Fire emblem = best game, followed by Zack & Wiki & GH III?

All is right in this world. Add mario to the mix and these are my november/december games.

Busaiku

"MLB Power pros proves that looks can be deceiving. Beneath the game's cartoony exterior lies and honest-to-goodness baseball sim with a heck of a lot of depth."
So the main cause of such a low score is attributed to the cartoony look? What's up with that? Or was there more criticism?

Lobster

Banned
Busaiku said:
So the main cause of such a low score is attributed to the cartoony look? What's up with that? Or was there more criticism?

Well motion is only gimmicky in the game. That could be a reason.

Busaiku said:
"Unfortunately, for all of its cool options and play modes, Power Pros fails to hit it out of the park because the on-field gameplay is disappointingly simplistic and suffers from lackluster controls. Maybe next year."

duckroll

"Unfortunately there's no way to target a particular enemy part or to skip the animation sequences that shows every attack...The battles are sufficiently strategic...you could spend more than an hour in a single skirmish."

Maybe they didn't read the manual and failed at playing the game. :lol

Model 500

Visualante said:
Geometry Wars: Galaxies

GAF Boycott in effect, if you buy this game you are weak and can die in a fire.

Lol, I'm not hoping it to match the excellence of Grid Wars II, but it's probably better than GeoWars 1 and that's more than enough for me.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Visualante said:
It's fundamentally a $50 game based on a $5 concept which was ironically meant to be free.

I thought the game was $40 and they added a shit ton of features too. You know people that make games should get money somehow.

AlternativeUlster said:
I thought the game was $40 and they added a shit ton of features too. You know people that make games should get money somehow.
You know people who abuse a good franchise deserve nothing. And did a $5 game really need all those features?

Does Tetris need more game modes? How about adding new enemies to Pac Man? Would you pay $40 for either of those games?

E-phonk

Banned
R0nn said:
535f1x0.jpg

Wait...what.

Did I miss something here?
stupid photoshop. I guess the OP just googled for "guitar hero 3 wii boxart" or something.

Visualante said:
Does Tetris need more game modes? How about adding new enemies to Pac Man? Would you pay $40 for either of those games?
I bought tetris DS. So did many others.

Great format in the OP. Crushdance I salute you!

Damn I want a euro date on fire emblem so much...

Loads of games this year so not in that much of a hurry but I want to know that it is actually coming(relatively soon)! This is NOE we are talking about... They are so crazy who knows what they will do...

Geometry wars is dangerously close to be added to a an already overloaded list of games to buy...

E-phonk said:
I bought tetris DS. So did many others.
Stop unnecessarily defending this shit. Tetris was a fine port albeit lacking the original theme tune. For me it didn't touch Meteos in terms of charm. This, however is garbage.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Visualante said:
You know people who abuse a good franchise deserve nothing. And did a $5 game really need all those features?

Tetris DS is pretty sweet and that Pac-Man Vs. is really awesome too. I guess I can be one of those people that can die in a fire (according to Visualante) for going out and buying a game that probably a lot of people will enjoy. Well excuse me Princess.

Lobster

Banned
Visualante said:
Stop unnecessarily defending this shit. Tetris was a fine port albeit lacking the original theme tune. For me it didn't touch Meteos in terms of charm. This, however is garbage.

Wait wait what...it could be a 200% upgrade to the original game for all you know.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Visualante said:

Have you played it then?

AlternativeUlster said:
Tetris DS is pretty sweet and that Pac-Man Vs. is really awesome too. I guess I can be one of those people that can die in a fire (according to Visualante) for going out and buying a game that probably a lot of people will enjoy. Well excuse me Princess.
Pac Man vs. was not $40 though!
SovanJedi said:
Have you played it then?
Who gives a shit? It's $40. I don't need to play anything to criticise it's price.

E-phonk

Banned
Stop raging against a game you didn't even play. If it's a piece of shovelware not worthy of it's retail price, you will see that reflected in reviews.

Nobody is forcing you to buy it.

Model 500

Yeah, Grid Wars II was available for free, but I would've got more than my moneys worth even if it had cost me 50e. It's very high on my all-time favourite games-list.

Quality-wise, I expect this new Geo Wars to fit somewhere between Geo Wars 1 and Grid Wars II => no-brainer.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Visualante said:
Who gives a shit? It's $40. I don't need to play anything to criticise it's price.

I was genuinely asking if you had played it and was interested in feedback on it, there was no need to snap back in a shitty manner.

SovanJedi said:
I was genuinely asking if you had played it and was interested in feedback on it, there was no need to snap back in a shitty manner.
That's usually the first defence. My apologies. I've only played the xbox versions.

Jesus, it's not like Geo Wars Wii is Retro Evolved with more enemies, the game is taking it's mechanic and making a sizeable game out of it. Being able to send Retro Evolved to my DS makes it worth the cost without question, let alone the huge number of stages and leveling up elements.

TheGreatDave said:
Jesus, it's not like Geo Wars Wii is Retro Evolved with more enemies, the game is taking it's mechanic and making a sizeable game out of it. Being able to send Retro Evolved to my DS makes it worth the cost without question, let alone the huge number of stages and leveling up elements.

You can do that?

Sold.

JDSN

Banned
TheGreatDave said:

Sold!

Vinnk

TheGreatDave said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I'm gonna have to pick this one up. Thanks Visualante, without your post I might have missed this one.

Wasn't it the original theme tune playing near the end of the 'classic' one player mode in Tetris DS? Isn't that the last background theme?

Tetris DS is awesome, its like mixing 2 sweet things together to form Devastator or something.

Burai said:
No, it's the full version of Retro Evolved. You just don't get the extra Galaxies content.
It's not a full version when you turn off the DS the game records go away, so in that regard it is a demo for that extra content. I wouldn't rule out the demo appearing on the demo channel anyway because it is Kuju.

The game should have been Wiiware, simple as that. I can't wait to see the image size of the dump.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Visualante said:
It's not a full version when you turn off the DS the game records go away, so in that regard it is a demo for that extra content.

I'm willing to sacrifice the ability to save records for the ability to play Geometry Wars on the go.

Top Bottom