• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey: The Advice Thread

Aadil

Banned
Inspired from the Dragon Quest VIII advice thread.

I just recieved this game in the post, played it for about five hours. I'm quite taken back at it's difficulty, the lack of advice from the game makes it very daunting to choose which skills I want to progress on my characters. Any reccomended skill builds? Best characters to start off with, and any other tips and advice.

Subscribed to and waiting...

Advice I can give.

Grind. Grind like you've never grinded before.

Other than that; apply skill points and pray you're not gimping each character.

Also pray you don't have a gimped party.

Aadil

Banned
Should the Protector stay at the front with the Landsknect and Survivalist or at the back with the Alchemist and Medic?

NomarTyme

Aadil said:
Should the Protector stay at the front with the Landsknect and Survivalist or at the back with the Alchemist and Medic?
Protector and Lands should be in front and the rest at the back row.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
bigdaddygamebot said:
Is that what you recommend?
Yes.

Aadil said:
Protector and Landsknect in front. Survivalist, Alchemist and Medic in back

What level was your party when you beat the "wolf".

The large wolf-boss; whose name eludes me at the moment and that I had no chance of beating by the time I got to him.

grandjedi6

bigdaddygamebot said:

The large wolf-boss; whose name eludes me at the moment and that I had no chance of beating by the time I got to him.

I don't remember. Try taking more quests and grinding. You are playing an old school dungeon crawler, grinding is the name of the game

NolbertoS

Have a question regarding maxing out your party at Lvl. 70. If you make them rest, will you retain the skill points you accumulated and get 15 extra skill points to play with?? and of course you lose 10 levels, but I don't mind that, as long as I retain my skills when I rest my players.

CTLance

What i know so far:
Protectors are AWESOME. Not only can they heal, but their Front/Back Guard abilities are a real blessing. That, and Aegis and the Parry skill are really nice. The weapons they can equip deal a decent amount of damage, too, so they're very useful. Front row.
Alchemists with enough ranks in Poison kill anything that.... isn't resistant to poison. Really, poison damage is ridiculous. Sadly enough many FOEs will simply resist the attack. So put some ranks in Fire or whatever. weak as fuck, back row.
You'll need a medic. There's no two ways about it. Go for Salve rather than Cure if given the choice, it's only marginally more expensive, but way more effective. Have one on hand for grinding runs with some ranks in ... uh... the increased drop rate skill. Keep them in the back where the butterflys can't maim them. They faint when a FOE looks in their direction.
Archers(Survivalists). They're crazy damage dealers if skilled correctly. Their high speed makes them unbelievably useful, and their anti-ambush/ambush passive skills are a godsend. For the love of all that is holy keep them in the back rows, they don't stand a chance in the front row.
Landsknechts are for doing the grunt work in the front row. They're pretty damage-oriented, and together with an alchemist they can become quite deadly. Survivalists seem to better at dishing out the hurt, but they can't take a smackdown like the Landsknechts can.

That's how I see it so far. I gotta say 'm pleasantly surprised by the bards too. One of them equipped with a good bow and skilled just right can help the party immensely.

One hint for easy money: Make a party of Landsknechts or Survivalists and max out their wood gathering skills. There's a gathering point right next to the entrance of BF1, connected by a hidden passage. Just have them go there, collect everything they can, and sell the stuff. Easy money. The chance of encountering an enemy is near null, and you'll get roughly 500 bucks per day.

grandjedi6

NolbertoS said:
Have a question regarding maxing out your party at Lvl. 70. If you make them rest, will you retain the skill points you accumulated and get 15 extra skill points to play with?? and of course you lose 10 levels, but I don't mind that, as long as I retain my skills when I rest my players.

You're getting resting and retiring mixed up

Resting a character allows you to reassign the character's skill points, but
they lose 10 levels. They also lose those 10 skill points, but they are free to
reassign the rest of their points

Retiring allows you to create a new character with extra bonuses. So if you retire a level 30 character you get 2 extra skill points and 1 stat point. But if you retire a level 70 character yo get 6 extra skill points and 3 stat points

Max out the medic's Immunize asap. You could also max out the protector's Defend. These two skills combined will be lifesavers against bosses and FOEs.

vareon

Nice thread, Aadil. I've got some questions but I don't want to revive the old thread.

This is for those who have beaten the final boss :

So, how DO you survive the 6th Stratum? I rested my Protector so she's in a relatively low level and gets KO'd at every attack :( . Also do I need Alchemist?

CTLance

One question:
I can't shake the feeling the Patch up Medic skill is kind of wasteful on skill points. Sure, it keeps lowlevel enemies from eating into your TP/healing items, but on the other hand the amount of health you get back per battle is just ridiculously small. All those points spent on useful skills should be more effective, I'd guess.

...anybody done the numbers?

grandjedi6

vareon said:
Nice thread, Aadil. I've got some questions but I don't want to revive the old thread.

This is for those who have beaten the final boss :

So, how DO you survive the 6th Stratum? I rested my Protector so she's in a relatively low level and gets KO'd at every attack :( . Also do I need Alchemist?

Grind

and Yes

CTLance said:
One question:
I can't shake the feeling the Patch up Medic skill is kind of wasteful on skill points. Sure, it keeps lowlevel enemies from eating into your TP/healing items, but on the other hand the amount of health you get back per battle is just ridiculously small. All those points spent on useful skills should be more effective, I'd guess.

Patch up is good for grinding and exploring but its pretty much useless for the fights

CTLance

Doublethink said:
Don't put points into Patch Up. My early medic had them and it was absolutely useless.
Thanks to grandjedi6 too.
I was fearing that this was the case. I'm at a point where I can kill all the monsters I encounter in less than one round most of the time so Patch up kinda works in my favour there, since just walking around and killing stuff effectively heals my party, but it looks like that medic will be my "gathering party" medic from now on. I kinda like not having to carry around many healing items.

Back to the drawing board I go. Gotta make a new medic. :D

Oh yeah, one more tip for newbs and seasoned players alike: Many overlook the fact that you can sell all of a certain item by pressing Y while having it selected at the shop. It's not really a hidden feature or anything, but many people (like me) just completely fail to see that hint on the dialog.

Bonus info: Don't rest at the pretty flower field.
Bonus info 2: You do not want the weapon, you want the healing item.
Bonus info 3: On BF1 there is a well that may randomly refresh your whole partys TP by 10. It's not much, but if you're in a tight spot...

Teasel

Aadil said:
Inspired from the Dragon Quest VIII advice thread.

I just recieved this game in the post, played it for about five hours. I'm quite taken back at it's difficulty, the lack of advice from the game makes it very daunting to choose which skills I want to progress on my characters. Any reccomended skill builds? Best characters to start off with, and any other tips and advice.
well... buff spell are overpowered in fact the medic immunize can turn a OHKO (one hit ko) attack into a single digit damage attack,so get them

alchemist can do some pretty good damage with poison but consider that the damage cap at 255 so putting all your skill point on poison it's useless,also if i remember correctly the first few bosses are ice resistant so don't get ice spell

and personaly i think people are exagerating with all the "grind" tips,just try to go as deep as you can and use a wire when you start to run out of MP and/or have opened a decent number of secret passage

the game become easier around half of the 3rd stratum anyway and at a certain point you can start buying MP restoring item which will resolve the problem of finding yourself without resource

also if you are lucky the 3rd boss can drop the best survivalist weapon in the game

sphinx

the piano man
Doublethink said:
Max out the medic's Immunize asap. You could also max out the protector's Defend. These two skills combined will be lifesavers against bosses and FOEs.

everyone new to the game: taking the advice I quoted is CRUCIAL in this game.

I'll repeat it:

Max out the medic's Immunize asap. You should also max out the protector's Defend. These two skills combined will be lifesavers against everything.

Get a troubadour with : Attack+ at 10, Speed+ at 10, divinity(extra exp), and level one of each of the elemental property imbune spells. After, raise his hp first, then MP. Recovery is also somewhat useful but leave that for last.

You should ignore : The def up spells(its crappy in comparison to the defender's defense skills, and the medic's immunize), hp regen.

Relaxing is also pretty useful.

Also, there are only three slots for buffs. Which means that if you Immunize and Defend, the troubadour can only contribute one buff without replacing the others.

vareon

Doublethink said:
Relaxing is also pretty useful.

Also, there are only three slots for buffs. Which means that if you Immunize and Defend, the troubadour can only contribute one buff without replacing the others.

I usually use the last slot according to the situation. If the enemy is a hard-hitter, then a defensive buff it is. If not, offensive.

I'll get back to this game after PH...

noonche

Don't waste skill points on gathering skills for your main party. Make some additional survivalists and make them your gatherers. Just take them into the maze when you need to gather stuff, place them in the back row.

lyre

CTLance said:
One question:

Patch up is a waste. The points are better spent on Salve II and TP Up.

CTLance said:
Bonus info 3: On BF1 there is a well that may randomly refresh your whole partys TP by 10. It's not much, but if you're in a tight spot...

That spot on B1F recovers 10 TP only at night, every night.

PillowKnight said:
Get a troubadour with : Attack+ at 10, Speed+ at 10, divinity(extra exp), and level one of each of the elemental property imbune spells. After, raise his hp first, then MP. Recovery is also somewhat useful but leave that for last.

You should ignore : The def up spells(its crappy in comparison to the defender's defense skills, and the medic's immunize), hp regen.

The Troubador is pretty much the most overpowered non-fighting character in the game, and probably in other games as well. Max out his/her Relaxing and you pretty much have nigh-infinite TP. Give it Att+ lvl 10, a good level Eraser, and one of the elemental status changes (whichever element you use the most), and your party is almost unstoppable, or at least won't have to return to town until you run out of space for items.

Scenester

I cant actually figure out what a Protector is good for... Medic's immunize seems to be the only party wide defense buff you need, so what can a protector do? I only just realised (at B26F) that my Protector was nothing but a pussed back fighter who was hitting for half as much damage as my main guy. Swapped the loser out for a Troub.

Mudhoney

I just beat the game yesterday with:

Landsknecht - maxed out attack, defense, and all of the elemental follow-up skills

Ronin

Alchemist - maxed out flame, 1 or 2 points in the skills that attack all opponents (great in combination with the Landsknecht's elemental skills)

Medic - maxed out immunize (heavily used), salve 2

Troubadour - My most valuable party member. Mostly due to Relaxing, and Healing. Maxed out Divinity also helped my party to level up extremely fast.

grandjedi6

Scenester said:
I cant actually figure out what a Protector is good for... Medic's immunize seems to be the only party wide defense buff you need, so what can a protector do? I only just realised (at B26F) that my Protector was nothing but a pussed back fighter who was hitting for half as much damage as my main guy. Swapped the loser out for a Troub.

There is your problem. Protector is a front line unit

Scenester said:

Immunize should be used in conjunction with Defender. Both of them just provide an insane amount of defense against all attacks. Smite is also a very strong attack that you can use, but it is very slow. With the exception of area spells, it'll probably go last.

Scenester

grandjedi6 said:
There is your problem. Protector is a front line unit

haha, sorry what I meant by saying that is I was describing him as 'pussed back' which means he's a pussy. (abstract slang ftl huh) I had him on the front line. He just never dealt that much damage. Yeah I was using smite, chews thru the TP pretty hard :( I think I need a Troub with a good Relaxing now that Im in the postgame, I run out of TP after two FOE encounters :(

Beezy

Scenester said:
Shame on you Scenester. :(

They're called Protector for a very good reason.

Scenester said:
haha, sorry what I meant by saying that is I was describing him as 'pussed back' which means he's a pussy. (abstract slang ftl huh) I had him on the front line. He just never dealt that much damage. Yeah I was using smite, chews thru the TP pretty hard :( I think I need a Troub with a good Relaxing now that Im in the postgame, I run out of TP after two FOE encounters :(

You probably wont be able to beat the game without a protector... their defender lowers physical damage by 30~40% at ten. front/back guard helps protect your caster line when they're terminal, as well as defending the front line. Smite's just good all around damage.

Protectors fulfill absolutely no vital role to your party whatsoever...

for the first 5 stratums. Come Stratum 6, you have a Protector, or you don't advance. It's that simple. For that simple reason - train a Protector.

lyre

So this means by stratum 6 and on I'll have to have my characters max out their levels or I'll get ass-raped? :S

lyre said:
So this means by stratum 6 and on I'll have to have my characters max out their levels or I'll get ass-raped? :S

No, you just need particular skills to survive certain situations. There're no analogous abilities or characters. Use it, or DIE.

lyre

Oh I definitely am.

Hell, since I spend so much time wandering around the game, I gain far too many levels to my liking so I purposely reset my party's skills and drop 10 levels just to make more challenging (thus funner) for myself. :D Obviously since I do this, I play with various skill sets for my characters and see what's good and what's not firsthand.

I need to find more time to put into the game. "/

Nah, you dont really have to grind much..although you should be close to the 70 cap by the time you reach the last boss. Also, FYI without bind arms it's really difficult to beat the last boss, so plan for that.

My advice though : DO NOT retire your characters, for the most part its worthless. If you need a skill change just rest them.

Dark Hunter Binds each have 55% chance to connect at Lvl 10 (not factoring in enemy resistances), thus making it the second highest skill with bind chance in the game.

My advice though : DO NOT retire your characters, for the most part its worthless. If you need a skill change just rest them.

Please enlighten me on a situation where 6 more Skill Points is 'worthless'.

lyre

Pureauthor said:
Dark Hunter Binds each have 55% chance to connect at Lvl 10 (not factoring in enemy resistances), thus making it the second highest skill with bind chance in the game.
That's is my lead S&M character. :p
The other one consists of Landsknecht ax skill and Ronin's bind arm skill. I do not believe in attacking moves that don't do damage (ie Hexer skills). :p

Not that I want to defend him, but 6 points isn't really much in the long run, especially when you have to raise your character ANOTHER 69 levels. :p

lyre said:
Not that I want to defend him, but 6 points isn't really much in the long run, especially when you have to raise your character ANOTHER 69 levels. :p

Wait until you're at Lvl 60+ and catch yourself thinking 'If only I had another 2 or so Skill Points'. 'Side, at that point in the game, you can get characters up to Lvl 35 or so in no time.

grandjedi6

etrianodysseycomic.gif

Orodreth

bigdaddygamebot said:

Mine was around level 15. I quote what i said in the other thread:
I have reached the 5th floor boss but i think i dont have chances of winning unless fighting it alone.

The problem is there are 3 or 4 foes behind that join the "party" once i start the battle and the characters arent able to counter all that.

I can defeat those foes alone or in pairs so any way of atractting those to get rid of them before confronting the boss?

Btw, all my characters are level 15 now (got defender for the protector but still cant get inmunize for medic).
I noticed the boss follows you when approaching so i taunted and retreated as far as possible to have time to finish the fight before the other wolves reached.

I´m on 6th floor now, yay.

I would recommend having a Troubadour, Medic, and Alchemist for the party. Get relaxing on the troubadour maxed asap and get immunize level 10 pretty early on(maybe after you get some basic heals). Relaxing basically allows your party to use sp liberally, so you can take your Alchemist and rain magic down on enemies every battle if you want. Protector is not very useful in my opinion if you have a Medic with Immunize(which is better than all Protector defensive skills combined). Besides those three, a Survivalist is very nice with Ambush and Multihit being the best skills. The last member is up to you but I recommend a frontline attacker of some sort.

lyre

Pureauthor said:
Wait until you're at Lvl 60+ and catch yourself thinking 'If only I had another 2 or so Skill Points'. 'Side, at that point in the game, you can get characters up to Lvl 35 or so in no time.
While true, but getting characters from level 36 to 60+ again is what I'm wary of the most. :p

Though while I am spending a few points on things I might but not really need, I am still at the 4th spectrum (near the end though) and chances are the difficulty level of the game will spike immensely come the 5th. "/

Pureauthor said:

This anecdote should clear things up;

I had just finished the game, and most of my characters were close to level 70, so I went into the first of the post games floors and completely wiped the floor with every single monster there, for the most part progression was extremely easy because the party i had molded could take on the challenges and were adept at staying alive. When all my characters hit seventy, I thought it'd be a great idea to retire them so that I could get a few extra skill points, figured it would not be very difficult since they had top of the line equipment. Well, it wasnt and about 3 hours or so of grinding later they still weren't up to snuff with my party at level 70. This absolutely killed the end game for me, because personally the draw of the game was the dungeon exploration, retiring my characters brought my exploration to a halt.

Point being : The six extra skill points were not necessary to advance, and the extra hours of grinding are not worth the effort for what they put out. Even though I did manage to get my characters close to 70 the improvementt gained from the skill points were negligible, because those extra points went into skills my party members did not necessarily need.

lyre

PillowKnight said:
Point being : The six extra skill points were not necessary to advance, and the extra hours of grinding are not worth the effort for what they put out. Even though I did manage to get my characters close to 70 the improvementt gained from the skill points were negligible, because those extra points will go into skills that you don't necessarily need.

This is my thoughts exactly. Because in the end, it is not the level of skills or the number of them that will make or break your team, but the actual execution of your party in battle. Even if your party is a bit underleveled, as long as you have all the skills that you need and at a high enough level, and with some luck, you can pretty much take on any boss that will not just outright cream you.

And in the end 72 is almost 78 and the time effort needed to get all those points back is not worth it (IMO) and also, you'll probably get a better password with higher levels than with lower levels.

firex

Depending on the class there's 2-5 must have skills for them, excluding passive stat-ups and HP/TP up skills. here's what I recommend:
Medic - Immunize and Salve 2 must be maxed out, no questions asked. You can also go with a maxed out Cure 3. it's a good grinding skill, especially for early on in the game before you face monsters that hit multiple people. way later in the game you can rest your Medic and redo them so they have maxed Immunize and Salve 2, and level 1 Revive (anything more is a waste in this skill) and then go for Caduceus to allow your Medic to do more than sit in the back row and defend.
Protector - mostly passives here. All you really need is level 5 in antifire, anticold and antivolt, and that's only if you want to do some optional bosses after you beat the main game. Otherwise? Just learn smite and invest in HP/TP/Def up and shields so your protector can take a lot of hits.
Survivalist - Apollon and Multihit are the attack skills you want. Trickery is a useful debuff. 1st Turn is really useful late in the game, but not so much for the first 20 floors of the dungeon.
Alchemist - poison is good for the first 8 floors or so. But I would just go with a fire/ice build instead, or you could go fire/volt and add in ice later. The best spells of the 3 elements are as follows: Flame, Freeze, and Thor. Thor is the 3rd tier spell, which does less damage to each monster than the 2nd tier, but hits all. There are more common enemies weak to thunder than fire and ice, but Flame and Freeze are worth it for those enemies that have a lot of hp/defense and are resistant to thunder. You also probably want Scavenge, and maybe a point into Warp too.
Landsknecht - decide if you want to go swords or axes. Axes kill single targets easily, swords clear out groups easily. If you go axes, learn Crush and Silencer and Hell Cry, and put the rest into ATK/HP/TP up. If you go swords you have to learn 2hit to unlock Allslash, and you may as well also get some points into TP up and unlock the "chaser" skills that automatically trigger after the enemy is hit with elemental magic (which makes them a natural pair with the alchemist). In that case the best one is Shocker so you hit all enemies twice when your alchemist uses Thor, but truth be told, Allslash does the job just as well.
Ronin - Overhead stance and Midareba. After you've maxed those, get some HP/TP up, and you may want to learn another stance or learn Kesagiri. If you take another stance, pick the one with the instakill strike since it's useful for an optional boss.
Dark Hunter - decide on whips or swords. If you go whips you will spend virtually all your skill points on maxing out all 3 binds, Ecstasy and Climax. Anything left over goes into HP/ATK up, since Ds get a ton of TP and don't need TP up. If you go swords, max out Drain and then choose Petrify or Nerve and max that one out, or max out Bait. And learn some Boost up along with the HP/ATK up combo.
Hexer - binds, relapse, and their sleep spell. I never really used one because they are so limited and specialized, but those are the skills all the guides/players say to look at.
Troubadour - saving the best for last here. Max out Relaxing and Bravery, fuck the defensive spells like Shelter and Mercury. Those are for cowards. Bravery boosts everyone but your alchemist's damage, and relaxing gives a huge bunch of TP regen. Best of all, these songs don't need to be refreshed like other buffs, unless someone dies and you revive them. To enhance their utility, learn level 1 blaze/frost/shock to give your melee guys elemental damage if you come up against someone with high physical resistance. edit: I forgot, you should also learn Erasure. level 1-5 is fine. Troubadours have tons of skill points to go around since they only need to max out relaxing and bravery, so just decide how many of the enemy's buffs you want to erase at once. I went with erasure 5 just so I could be a bastard, plus there was enough room for me to max out HP/TP up and all the other songs I needed along with it.

If you just want to maul the main game I'd recommend Landsknecht, Protector (or another Landsknecht), Survivalist, Troubadour, Medic. The T will use relaxing/bravery and buff everyone's damage/tp regen, the medic will heal, the landsknechts will tank and slaughter with allslash or axe skills, and the survivalist uses apollon and multihit to own bosses/FOEs. Alchemists don't suck in the main game by any means, but they don't really come into their own until you get postgame gear + run into the insanely physically resistant guys in the bonus section of the game. at least IMO. I used an alchemist early on and dropped him for a Landsknecht before facing the second stratum's boss, and never looked back.

Top Bottom