• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo PR on psp's new pricepoint

Status
Not open for further replies.

neptunes

"That's not a game machine," said Yasuhiro Minagawa, head of PR for Nintendo Co., Ltd. "They showed it at the [Tokyo] Game Show without any fundamental game software, and you can tell that it's not yet complete."

For a reaction to the reaction, Bloomberg went to SCE's Ken Kutaragi. "People who want to play with Pikachu will need Nintendo's new-style DS machine," he said, "but those who want to play our racing game Gran Turismo 4 will need a PSP, right?"
-Chris Kohler

more here

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
"By announcing an unexpectedly low price for the PSP, Sony has raised the chances that it will fully expand into the market. Many game publishers are now saying, 'At that price, we'd seriously like to make games for the PSP.'"

Nintendo DS is DEAD

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
*walks over to Kutaragi's side*

Sorry, I need GT4 Mobile.

yodandy

For a reaction to the reaction, Bloomberg went to SCE's Ken Kutaragi. "People who want to play with Pikachu will need Nintendo's new-style DS machine," he said, "but those who want to play our racing game Gran Turismo 4 will need a PSP, right?"

Or a ps2...

Kon Tiki

Banned
Translation error.

Here is what it really said.
For a reaction to the reaction, Bloomberg went to SCE's Ken Kutaragi. "People who want to play with Sprung will need Nintendo's new-style DS machine," he said, "but those who want to play our racing game Gran Turismo 4 will need a PSP, right?"

Well technically you don't need a Game Boy or DS to play a Pikachu/Pokemon game either. Obviously he's referring to the portable sector.

joshschw

"but those who want to play our racing game Gran Turismo 4 will need a PSP, right?"

OMG, PS2 GT4 is teh canculld!!!111!

Actually Sony obviously isn't that confident or they wouldn't have lowered the price so much from the oringal guesses.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
yodandy said:

Or a ps2...

But the PSP version has online play! LOL AM I TIGHT?

Grizzlyjin said:
But the PSP version has online play! LOL AM I TIGHT?

I had trouble getting in. I'm sorry I just had to.

soundwave05 said:
Well technically you don't need a Game Boy or DS to play a Pikachu/Pokemon game either. Obviously he's referring to the portable sector.

Well I'm willing to argue that only the GB offers the full Pokemon experience. And it's a coin toss over whether Hey You! Pikachu or Pocket Pikachu are truly the ultimate Pikachu experience.

"That's not a game machine," said Yasuhiro Minagawa, head of PR for Nintendo Co., Ltd. "They showed it at the [Tokyo] Game Show without any fundamental game software, and you can tell that it's not yet complete."

Oh god, Nintendo. Don't fuck up again by trying to differentiate the market that your competitors are in. Xbox and PS2 aren't game systems - they're multimedia devices....

With the announced price of PSP, Sony just sold another system on my behalf. Furthermore...I'm starting to doubt whether or not I'm actually going to get a DS at launch. Hell, if the PSP gets a 2-D Castlevania or some good exclusive RPGs, I might not need a DS at all.

Oh fuck...Advance Wars DS. Pretent I didn't say the last paragraph. :D

Mrbob

sony-smooth.jpg

loomberg also quoted JP Morgan Securities analyst Masaru Onishi, who told the news service, "By announcing an unexpectedly low price for the PSP, Sony has raised the chances that it will fully expand into the market. Many game publishers are now saying, 'At that price, we'd seriously like to make games for the PSP.'"

Ahhh yes the real reason for the low PSP hardware price. Sony and Nintendo have the same emphasis: Killer software sells hardware. But they go about things in a different manner. Sony likes to put an emphasis on 3rd party titles and include them in the business. Nintendo likes to take the lion share of the software for themselves and leave the scraps to the 3rd parties.

SantaC

Forgotten Ancient said:
Oh god, Nintendo. Don't fuck up again by trying to differentiate the market that your competitors are in. Xbox and PS2 aren't game systems - they're multimedia devices....

With the announced price of PSP, Sony just sold another system on my behalf. Furthermore...I'm starting to doubt whether or not I'm actually going to get a DS at launch. Hell, if the PSP gets a 2-D Castlevania or some good exclusive RPGs, I might not need a DS at all.

Oh fuck...Advance Wars DS. Pretent I didn't say the last paragraph. :D

Castlevania is announced for DS, not PSP.

cvxfreak

soundwave05 said:
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl are coming to the DS. That's the next installment in the Pokemon series.

And I bet they're going to pwn any PSP game when they're released, sales-wise

Mrbob

kutaowned.jpg

I can't help it I love these photoshop pics! :lol

thefit

Waaa!
The PSP price has really riled up nintendo afterall they are trying to look like a more mature game company with the way the have headed in the design of the SP and DS and the low prices so that at the same time be affordable to the younger croud but here comes big bad sony and pops that bubble cuz now you can be a seriouse "mature" gamer even if your not old enought to have a bank account yet!

nintendo is afraid that now people will see things the way they really are and have been for a while.

$149.00

10051_b_1.jpg

VS

$185.00

h-601_25004_pspface.jpg.jpg

SantaC

thefit said:
Waaa!
The PSP price has really riled up nintendo afterall they are trying to look like a more mature game company with the way the have headed in the design of the SP and DS and the low prices so that at the same time be affordable to the younger croud but here comes big bad sony and pops that bubble cuz now you can be a seriouse "mature" gamer even if your not old enought to have a bank account yet!

nintendo is afraid that now people will see things the way they really are and have been for a while.

$149.00

10051_b_1.jpg

VS

$185.00

h-601_25004_pspface.jpg.jpg

nice try, but that's not a dual screen :p

What happens when Sony/Level 5/SquareEnix all join forces to make a game that blatantly rips of the Pokemon formula?

It's true that Pokemon can't be considered a "fad" anymore, but the next game in the series is facing unique competition. For the first time since Pokemon, there'll be an alternative and viable portable. For the first time since Pokemon, there's a "cool" competitor that knows what they're doing. For the first time ever, really, there could be an issue where little Timmy has a PSP and little Johnny has a Nintendo DS. Not being able to share and battle Pokemon on the playground could potentially hurt Pikachu and friends. Being a handheld that's not really marketed at children, the DS might not be the best place for a new Pokemon.

I don't know...I hope Pokemon is the answer. I'm really starting to worry about the fate of Nintendo though. I've been a fanboy to them since my conception, so I hate feeling this way - but I've seen them fall once; they can fall again.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
SantaCruZer said:
if anything, this forces Nintendo to hurry the development on the next Gameboy.

But they are caught between a rock and a hard place now. Launch the next Gameboy early and you are in Sega territory, and risk alienating the people who buy the DS and the developers who have supported it. And if they wait too long, PSP will have too big a headstart and it will be PS2 all over again.

As interested as I am in the DS (Made In Wario DS > anything), I think there's a risk the gamble might not pay off now because of PSP's price. A high PSP price would have given them breathing space, something they don't have now. I think Nintendo would have been wiser waiting to launch something with higher-specs and the Gameboy name.

The other worry is if DS gets lost in a sea of PSP hype, and under-performs, then the pressure on Revolution is going to be enormous.

Dragmire

What lame low blows from both sides, though the PR guy was less lame. Saying PSP isn't for games is only half wrong, while saying DS is for Pikachu is at least 99 percent wrong, considering 100+ games. A wrong and a half don't make a right, guys. No dessert for you.

SantaC

bitwise said:
eh, not really. Kutaragi used the situation to push one of their biggest titles. He was actually smart about it.

He mentioned pikachu. That's not a game. And there are many other interesting titles than pokemon. He spoke like it was the only thing Nintendo offer. Lame shit.

Axsider

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
It was a lame quote by Ken Kutaragi also.

1-1
I don't think so. It feels like Ken gives a damn about that Nintendo-quote. Like "go and play your POKEMON, we play Gran Turismo Mobile"
:D

Solid

SantaCruZer said:
It was a lame quote by Ken Kutaragi also.

1-1
"That's not a game machine,"

LAME

"They showed it at the [Tokyo] Game Show without any fundamental game software, and you can tell that it's not yet complete."

LAME

"People who want to play with Pikachu will need Nintendo's new-style DS machine,"

LAME

"but those who want to play our racing game Gran Turismo 4 will need a PSP, right?"

LAME

Nintendo-Sony 3-1

The one and only problem I have with the $200 is people announce that as the price that's going to sell. Personally I think you're a fool to not get the bundle or a memory stick (which is going to round that price on up to the bundle) with your PSP. Unless you planon only watching UMDs and not having game saves... I just think it looks attractive, but in the long run it's not going to be what you're going to flat out pay.

I'm still happy with $230-250 though. That's fine with me and still lower than I expected, plus I wasn't expecting it to be bundled with anything.

Mrbob

Dragmire said:
What lame low blows from both sides, though the PR guy was less lame. Saying PSP isn't for games is only half wrong, while saying DS is for Pikachu is, like 99 percent wrong. A wrong and a half don't make a right, guys. No dessert for you.

What was so low about Kutaragi's quote? Actually I thought his response to Nintendo's comments were quite humble.

He said for Pokemon you need a DS and Gran Turismo 4 you need a PSP. It's a factual quote. In fact I would say in a way he was tipping his cap to Nintendo saying that they have their own fanbase and PSP will have their own as well.

SantaC

Deepthroat said:
"That's not a game machine,"

LAME

"They showed it at the [Tokyo] Game Show without any fundamental game software, and you can tell that it's not yet complete."

LAME

"People who want to play with Pikachu will need Nintendo's new-style DS machine,"

LAME

LAME

Nintendo-Sony 3-1

huh? 3-1? wtf are you smoking.

DCharlie

Banned

or not play it on the go and play the PS2 version?

I think DS could have a decent future as a budget console as someone else mentioned on these boards (I think it was cybamerc) but for that to work it has to be in the $79-$99 price range the current GBA SP is at.

The touchscreen strikes me as more of a thing for really casual people who are just as likely to play touchscreen poker/black jack as they are Super Mario.

With a $50 difference though between the DS and PSP, unless the touchscreen absolutely is something you got batsh-t crazy over, I can't see how people wouldn't just pay the extra few bucks for the PSP instead.

bitwise

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
He mentioned pikachu. That's not a game. And there are many other interesting titles than pokemon. He spoke like it was the only thing Nintendo offer. Lame shit.

none will sell more than pokemon, though.

Put it into perspective please -- he mentioned DS's biggest title along with PSP's.

I don't see anything lame about that.

Buggy Loop

Hold on a minute, are they telling me that GT4 was cancelled on PS2?

edit- damn, beaten by dcharlie, should've read the replies :p

king zell

well Nintendo's quote wasn't lame too..

I don't think a Gran Turismo 4 port or a MGS card game is comparable to DS's strong lineup which seems more complete :)

beerbelly

Banned
Excellent. Competition is good for the gamers.

Nintendo better kick it up a notch. I think DS is a sorry excuse for a handheld.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom