• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tales of Innocence videos (best looking DS game yet?)

duckroll

Shop promotion trailer: mms://wmt9-od.stream.ne.jp/vod11/bngi/toi_pv_shop.wmv
Newest trailer: mms://wmt9-od.stream.ne.jp/vod11/bngi/pv_new.wmv

It's probably one of the best 3D engines on the DS yet. Really smooth, good models, good textures. Unfortunately, because it's Tales, I'll wait for others to take the plunge before I decide if I'll buy it.

It's funny, the last time we had Tales vs FF on the DS, FF3 won by a default walkover. This time.... it might be different. ^^;

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
FFIV has lip sync, how can it be beat? It looks alright though, second best looking 3D DS game yet (and until DQIX comes out maybe).

duckroll

jj984jj said:
FFIV has lip sync, how can it be beat? It looks alright though, second best looking 3D DS game yet (and until DQIX comes out maybe).

Lipsync doesn't really mean much when the towns, dungeons, fields, world map, and pretty much all PLAYABLE parts of the game in ToI look far superior imo. Much smoother and prettier. The ToI graphics engine is a beast.

duckroll said:
Lipsync doesn't really mean much when the towns, dungeons, fields, world map, and pretty much all PLAYABLE parts of the game in ToI look far superior imo. Much smoother and prettier. The ToI graphics engine is a beast.
Indeed. This completely decimates FFIV IMO.

I thought TotT looked better than FFIII :p

jesusraz

Wow, truly spectacular! That actually gave me the funny tingle I get after seeing a really fantastic looking game...(call me crazy if you will). I wonder how long this adventure's likely to be. I'm hoping that since it's a 'main entry' Tales, it won't be as light-weight as Tempest.

Since Bandai Namco's putting a lot of force behind this, I wonder what sales expectations are. Hmm, if it's well-stocked enough, it could well hit around 300,000+ for its first week, I reckon.

Anyway, cheers for the update, plus You Tubes, duckroll, king zell and slaughterking :)

Caaz

It reminds me of Tales of Symphonia... awesome. Thanks for the links!
I love the song playing in the background in the trailer...

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Still looks as nice as it did before. Thanks for the youtube links guys.

Music from what I heard sounds quite good.

DQ IVr, FFIV and ToI all within a year. RPG overload.

Link1110

Magicpaint said:
I thought TotT looked better than FFIII :p
TotT reminded me of Legendia in that there were basically some random team making Tales knockoffs. They had many of the elements of the Tales series, and were decent at times, but never managed to reach the levels of greatness of the originals.

And come on, start releasing more Tales games. 2004 and 2005 were awesome, when we got ToS (US,) ToR, ND3, ToEpsp, ToL, and TotA. 4 masterpieces, 1 port of a masterpiece, and one almost decent game in 2 years went a long way in making that one of my favorite eras in gaming.

duckroll said:
Fixed for even more accuracy. :lol
And we could possibly have EO2 AND DQV DS shortly after those. *head explode*

Link1110 said:
TotT reminded me of Legendia in that there were basically some random team basically making Tales knockoffs. They had many of the elements of the Tales series, and were decent at times, but never managed to reach the levels of greatness of the originals.

I really liked Tales of Legendia. It was lacking a few things but it had amazing music, nice presentation and lovely animation, I thought it surpassed the regular Tales games in some ways, but fell short in others. Tempest on the other hand was an all round disgrace that namco doesn't even want to acknowledge anymore. It had some potentially nice ideas, but nothing came out of it, so it was empty and lifeless.

And come on, start releasing more Tales games. 2004 and 2005 were awesome, when we got ToS (US,) ToR, ND3, ToL, and TotA. 4 masterpieces and one almost decent game in 2 years...
Eh? We're getting more Tales games lately than ever before.

Link1110

Also, do we know exactly what that ToD-DC is? Is it a whole new version with an option toplay the entire game as Leon, or the remake with a few extra scenes and sidequests?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Call me morbid, but I'm still hoping for a budget Tales of the Tempest localization. Yeah, I know it's awful. Short, meandering, low production values, boring, etc. I'd still play it.

I really hope, Innocence will sell very, very well, so we can get a release outside of japan. But I wonder if the japanese are still turned off by a new Tales game on the DS after they experienced the awfulness, that Tempest seemed to be. :I

madara said:
Where do you go open link in WMV? I have not done since few versions ago and I going in circles here. :lol
File - > Open URL

duckroll

Link1110 said:
Also, do we know exactly what that ToD-DC is? Is it a whole new version with an option toplay the entire game as Leon, or the remake with a few extra scenes and sidequests?

It's like Persona 3 Fes. It's pretty much TODr + expansion content. You get to select Stahn Chapter or Leon Chapter to play the game. The Leon chapter is about 15 hours long apparently. The Stahn Chapter is the normal ToDr + a bunch of extra stuff added.

Link1110 said:
I think the major attraction is the new scenario with Leon. Other than that, you have the usual Stahn and Co scenario and possibly a few more minor extras. It's not anything brand-spanking-new.

Stumpokapow said:
Call me morbid, but I'm still hoping for a budget Tales of the Tempest localization. Yeah, I know it's awful. Short, meandering, low production values, boring, etc. I'd still play it.
I got it for about £3, I'd say it was worth the money. It's not a BAD game, it just fails miserably compared to the rest of the Tales games. If they'd kept some of the series' staples and made it a bit longer and added voice, it'd have been ok.

But no, Tempest won't be localised.

duckroll

http://gmstar.com/ps2/talesofdestinydc.html

Tales of Destiny Director's Cut

*New scenario "Leon Side" added!

- Play volume is about 15-20 hours.
- Brand new skills and arts added for Leon.
- The game is played from Leon's perspective and undercovers the true nature of the Destiny scenario.
- Event scenes features many brand new voice recordings by the original cast.

*Destiny scenario features many new additions!

- "Stahn Side" is about 30-40 hours of play time.
- Many new events added.
- Balance and difficulty retuned.
- Hints have been added to point to available subevents.
- Previous save data supported. (Both clear saves and mid-saves supported.)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Character designs are kind of meh but the footage is amazing o_O

Link1110

duckroll said:
It's like Persona 3 Fes. It's pretty much TODr + expansion content. You get to select Stahn Chapter or Leon Chapter to play the game. The Leon chapter is about 15 hours long apparently. The Stahn Chapter is the normal ToDr + a bunch of extra stuff added.
Looks like I picked the right time to to a remake longplay. :D

Wow, it really does look incredibly smooth in those videos -- and the combat is really setting a new high water mark for action 3D on the DS.

I think FFIV looks fucking great too, but I'd be hard pressed to disagree that this game seems to be on top enginewise.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Forget best looking DS game yet, looking at the trailers gave me a tingly feeling I can't explain.

It felt something along the lines of "This will be one of the best DS games ever made."

ethelred

Yeah, the game looks great, and I think I'd have to agree that based on what we've seen, it's pretty easily the best looking game on the system.

Edit: Spoke a bit unclearly there. I meant that it's the best looking game of this particular style, and of the comparisons being made (ie FFIV).

ksamedi said:
So is this game touch controlled? I hope it is.

... why?

ksamedi

ethelred said:
Yeah, the game looks great, and I think I'd have to agree that based on what we've seen, it's pretty easily the best looking game on the system.

... why?

Because I like it and I think it could benefit the battle system.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I dont see how the touchscreen would benefit a fast-paced, action packed battle system.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
*looks at trailer*

Well, I have a lot of thoughts on 3D on DS...but I guess this doesn't look too bad. The over-world/general running around looks much better than the battles do, no question (the battle, graphically, look terrible to me). Looks good as a whole though.

I always want to look forward to playing Tales games in english, but then I remember that I don't know what will end up being cut, left out, or not even translated if anything. So, I'll wish silently.

I can't compare this to FFIV though since I haven't seen any screens or video of the battle system for this version.

In terms of overall look and presentation though, DQ IV blows this away in my eyes.

ksamedi said:
No, no no.

Tales battles are all about being fast paced and chaotic, adding touch controls would hurt that. Unless you're suggesting that it's touch control only, which I can't even imagine working nearly as well. :/

ethelred

ksamedi said:

How would you successfully implement the Tales battle system with the touch screen? How would you do special moves, or free motion, or aerial combos? Just tap everything? What benefit is that? They tried this already (Tempest) and it was a horrible little abortion within the series.

chakoo

Banned
It looks nice but their rendering system has fix point issues (probably low accuracy). Models up close shake too much and distort even when they barely move or don't move at all.

I don't think FF3 had it that bad either. So I'm more incline to think FF4 will be far more impressive (on a visual and technical note).

*note, just my two cents as a handheld programmer*

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
chakoo said:
It looks nice but their rendering system has fix point issues (probably low accuracy). Models up close shake too much and distort even when they barely move or don't move at all.

This is what I really notice as well and it's what really throws me off. I've never liked it (on any system, console or otherwise) so I guess that's where my complaint lies.

Link1110

Magicpaint said:
No, no no.

Tales battles are all about being fast paced and chaotic, adding touch controls would hurt that. Unless you're suggesting that it's touch control only, which I can't even imagine working nearly as well. :/
Tales of Phantasia's battle system is slow enough to do that. :D

kiryogi

Banned
I seriously can't wait for this. Anyone take a look at the villians? So many veteran seiyuu finally debuting in the "Tales of" series. Might be the most all star cast yet in a Tales.

Also on Tempest being an abortion, there was a recent interview with the series producer where he basically disowned it. Sort of funny though, when I think about how he was all over the fan book for Tempest.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
kiryogi said:
I seriously can't wait for this. Anyone take a look at the villians? So many veteran seiyuu finally debuting in the "Tales of" series. Might be the most all star cast yet in a Tales.

Also on Tempest being an abortion, there was a recent interview with the series producer where he basically disowned it. Sort of funny though, when I think about how he was all over the fan book for Tempest.
link of that interview please

ivysaur12

Banned
Holy crap. I can't believe that this game is being done on the DS. I could never have imagined these graphics on the system when it launched.

Top Bottom