• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces Baroque (hardcore Wii/PS2 dungeon crawler)

TehOh

Rejoice!

my inbox said:
Atlus U.S.A., Inc. is proud to announce Baroque, a hardcore dungeon-crawling action RPG, for the WiiTM (bet you weren’t expecting THAT) and PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system. For the Wii owner who craves a pure RPG experience but doubts one will arrive… Your game is coming. For the PS2 owner knelt before a framed photograph of their beloved system, a single lit candle illuminating tears slowly trickling down their face, betraying thoughts laden with worry that the system is near its end… Fear not - your game is coming. For anyone who loves a good action RPG, one loaded with items to find and customize, packed with tons of twisted monsters to vanquish, boasting a powerful musical score, and featuring an innovative story progression system in which death is not the end, but rather, the means by which to move the story forward… Baroque is coming. Look for it February 2008!

Official Website

Looks pretty awesome, I like the artwork.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Oh yeah! OH YES!

And it seems to be coming soon!

And BTW, this was first put up in the resume of that voice actor that also revealed FES before it was put down.

Wow, that's unexpected. Atlus doing a multi-plat RPG release, whouda thunk it?

This game's got really awesome art, I guess Sting is doing the Wii port themselves. If I were allowed to dream, I'd ask that they shoehorn in the Baroque 2D shooter from the 90's in there as some sort of extra, but that's just nutty to ask for.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
HyperZone<3 said:
Wow, that's unexpected. Atlus doing a multi-plat RPG release, whouda thunk it?

This game's got really awesome art, I guess Sting is doing the Wii port themselves. If I were allowed to dream, I'd ask that they shoehorn in the Baroque 2D shooter from the 90's in there as some sort of extra, but that's just nutty to ask for.
From the Saturn? Oh shit yeah!

Just watched the video, the gameplay looks like a direct rip of PSO!

LOL, even the scream from the enemy when dying (a little less than half way through the vid) sounds exactly like the enemies in PSO's forest(boomas?).

:lol

Kuran

Banned
I'm in... I'm hoping for a budget-release, though.. I loved the Saturn release, but could never really enjoy it due to the language barrier. I hope they managed to keep the unique atmosphere of the original intact..

EDarkness

Oh man, I've been craving an RPG on the Wii and Atlus delivers. I can't wait for this to come out. As long as the action is good and there are lots of things to collect, I'll be happy. :)

Prospero

Reserving my excitement until I hear more about the gameplay. (I'm hoping it's a straight-ahead loot-and-level game.)

EDIT: if it's a ripoff of PSO as stated above, then: sold.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
This is definitely interesting. Another in the 'meaningless tidbits of small games = growing avalanche of announcements" thing.

NichM

Banned
Prospero said:
Reserving my excitement until I hear more about the gameplay. (I'm hoping it's a straight-ahead loot-and-level game.)

EDIT: if it's a ripoff of PSO as stated above, then: sold.

It's kind of PSO meets Dragon Quarter. Also, you have the option of playing it all in first person view.

duckroll

I hear this wasn't so hot. It looked pretty bad so I didn't pick it up anyway. Supposedly it butchers a lot of what was great about the Saturn version in favor of shitty third person + cutscenes treatment but is stuck in low-budget hell. Oh well, Sting's better off making more portable 2D goodness instead of wasting their time with shitty 3D games anyway.

CTLance

-WindYoshi- said:
Just watched the video, the gameplay looks like a direct rip of PSO!

LOL, even the scream from the enemy when dying (a little less than half way through the vid) sounds exactly like the enemies in PSO's forest.

:lol
Frothing demand++

Can't watch the video (or browse the flash site), but it sounds awesome. DO WANT etc.

PkunkFury

February, in the US? That is verys soon! Please delay Atlus! I want this game but Wii has too much in February already and Smash Brothers will trample it

kiryogi

Banned
Also the mentions of this amazing musical score, it's supposedly a massive butchering of the original version's as well.

PkunkFury said:
February, in the US? That is verys soon! Please delay Atlus! I want this game but Wii has too much in February already and Smash Brothers will trample it

It'll get trampled by everything anyway so why bother delaying it?

Going by the posts here it looks like Sting screwed the pooch on this update so I'll pass. Maybe I'll consider importing the original game(but that language barrier...ugh)

Made by Sting it looks like, which gets me interested that way as i like one of their games ive got

*edit after reading what some have said*

So its this remake i read about once, that got some radical changes..

Please don't take it the wrong way when I laugh about the similarities to PSO - that is in no way a bad thing! I just find it humorous... a huge plus for me really.
Though, if this was originally a Saturn game, then perhaps it is PSO that was influenced?

Innotech

Banned
PkunkFury said:
the hardcore rpg fans who buy this sort of game are aware of it already. The other games wont affect the sales it gets because its already niche.

Amankhan

Innotech said:
the hardcore rpg fans who buy this sort of game are aware of it already.

Aware of its existence, yes, but certainly not the release date (which is what the original poster was referring to)

Innotech said:
the hardcore rpg fans who buy this sort of game are aware of it already. The other games wont affect the sales it gets because its already niche.

Yeah a game like this wouldn't get into SSBB's way and vice-versa... being such different games they actually go hand in hand.

EDarkness

Hmmmm...perhaps I'll see if I can dig up some pics of the import PS2 version. Maybe they'll clean it up a bit since it's also getting a Wii port.

jarrod

Banned
I sort of wish Atlus had picked up other late term PS2 title to localize and Wiimake. Something like DSS or SRTOG something. :/

february? ATLUS? RPG??????

*head explodes*

am I alone in loving Atlus? They are seriously my favorite favorite RPG publisher/developer.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
BAROQUE

frontboxart.jpg

(PS2 SCREENS)

ss_01b.jpg
ss_02b.jpg
ss_03b.jpg
ss_04b.jpg
ss_05b.jpg
ss_06b.jpg
ss_07b.jpg
ss_08b.jpg
ss_09b.jpg
ss_10b.jpg
ss_11b.jpg
ss_12b.jpg
ss_13b.jpg
ss_14b.jpg
ss_15b.jpg
ss_16b.jpg
ss_17b.jpg
ss_18b.jpg

Dascu

jarrod said:
I sort of wish Atlus had picked up other late term PS2 title to localize and Wiimake. Something like DSS or SRTOG something. :/

I wonder if they'll try to put in waggle for the Wii version.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
that trailer was kinda badass

edit:

though some of those screens remind me of Eternal Ring for some reason.

If anything, I have another odd desire to see King's Field Wii now :(

RedBoot

Wow, didn't know this was on Wii as well. I want to buy it (good dungeon crawlers are rare these days, so even if the game's not fantastic I'll probably still like it), but February for the Wii is absolutely ridiculous already with Brawl, No More Heroes, and Dragon Quest Swords already on my list (plus One Piece UA in late January).

Still, it's an Atlus game I'm interested in, so I should probably buy it at release just to be safe.

EDIT: Also happy that this makes a FES release that much more likely since it was on the same VA page as Baroque.

Mamesj

Banned
The blonde emo guy with angel wings is a turn off. Also looks melodramatic, which means it'll probably try too hard to have a *deep* story.

maybe the gameplay will be good...

Top Bottom