• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opps I blew up my Gamecube

master15

So I returned home to New Zealand a few weeks ago and haven't touched a videogame in almost 2 years. So as you can imagine I was eager to sink my teeth back into some games.

Unfortuntely my eagerness seems to have cost me my machine. Let me explain; I have an imported US machine yet for some strange reason I completely forgot to use my power-convertor and plugged it straight into the main power (NZ is 230/240 volts (50 hertz). My Gamecube power adapter just went up in smoke and obviously now the machine won't go in.

My question is, do you think it's messed up the machine? Is it a simple case of buying a NZ Gamecube power adaptoer (Are they compatibile)? Or would I need to get a US one and use the power convertor? Hope this makes sense.

I feel like a complete nounce...I just wanted to play some Rouge Leader and Resi 4 :(

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
There's a reasonable chance that the AC adapter fused before wrecking your Cube. But I wouldn't be surprised if you killed it.

Not burned. I did the same thing to my Wii here in China.

Order another, standard power brick for your GC (safer that way), and then buy a power adapter. I got an excellent one from Amazon for about 14$, and it's worked wonders. :D

FlightOfHeaven said:
Not burned. I did the same thing to my Wii here in China.

Order another, standard power brick for your GC (safer that way), and then buy a power adapter. I got an excellent one from Amazon for about 14$, and it's worked wonders. :D

You could probably get the whole Gamecube on ebay for $20.:lol

Indeed, but that would not solve the man's problem. He'd get a new Cube, and it'd blow up again. He needs the power adapter, in any case.

Get a Wii, cough.

master15

FlightOfHeaven said:
Indeed, but that would not solve the man's problem. He'd get a new Cube, and it'd blow up again. He needs the power adapter, in any case.

Get a Wii, cough.

I have a power adapter, but I forgot to use it the first time I plugged my machine in.

What I'm wondering is whether I get a new Gamecube adapter whether that will solve the issue or has the machine been also damanged? (The Cube adaopter had smoke coming from it before it burnt out and the machine turned off).

In anycase I'm bidding for a new US machine just in case.

Just get a new cube. It would almost cost the same as a power adapter. During black friday in the US, you could get a GameCube for $30, so they shouldn't be hard to find (ebay, etc)

NZNova

Sorry to hear it dude. In my experience - I think you'll find the cube is likely fubar. You might want to try looking on trademe for a cheapie replacement. I just had a quick look and see someone selling an indigo one for like, $NZ40.

(I really ought to get a US cube one of these days... one day that freeloader disc is gonna get scratched and that'll be the end of it I'm sure...)

FlightOfHeaven said:

Get a Wii, cough.
But you can't play GBA games on a Wii

Top Bottom