• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Light at the end of the tunnel: Orange Box (PS3) patch might be on the horizon.

EktorPR

Sorry if old:

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/01/01/orange-box-patch-might-be-on-the-horizon/

PS3 Fanboy said:
It's no secret the PS3 version of Orange Box is inferior to the PC and 360 version due to the unforgivable amounts of bugs and bad coding. Many gamers have voiced their displeasure about the game, and one upset gamer, who purchased the game despite the highly publicized problems, posted a thread on Valve's forums. Soon after, a Valve employee responded to address his complaints.

"I hope that we will be able to correct any major issues in the future," wrote Burton before wishing him a "Happy New Years." Now, this can be interpreted numerous ways, however, the most likely scenario is Valve issuing a patch to address these problems.

Hopefully a patch will come through. I'm happy with my Orange Box, but the loading detracts so much from the experience that...well, sometimes, it makes me unhappy.

EktorPR said:
Hopefully a patch will come through. I'm happy with my Orange Box, but the loading detracts so much from the experience that...well, sometimes, it makes me unhappy.

The Loading is standard, at least in the 360 version.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
due to the unforgivable amounts of bugs and bad coding

Ugh. It's not that bad...in fact, I've yet to encounter one bug in my 20+ hours of playtime so far.

"I hope that we will be able to correct any major issues in the future," wrote Burton before wishing him a "Happy New Years."

Still doesn't sound all that hopeful, though.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I think I'm almost done with Portal and I've yet to see anything I'd call a bug or poor performance. I'm also about 30 minutes into HL2 (the original) and didn't see anything really untoward there either.

But if a patch makes things better, even marginally, and doesn't hurt anything, I'm all for it.

nofi

chubigans said:
Ugh. It's not that bad...in fact, I've yet to encounter one bug in my 20+ hours of playtime so far.

It's only bad in Episode 2. These 'bugs' and problems are massively overstated.

Borys said:
Stopped reading right there.

But enough to post, right?

WTF is wrong with you? I guess you don't want HL3 on the PS3? That's FINE by me. The less idiotic fanboys play it, the better.
GAF really needs to set a consensus on inferior PS3 ports. Do you not support crappy ports, or risk lowered dev support? The same argument appears all the time.

jonabbey

I've played through Portal, spent about 30 hours in TF2, and maybe 3 hours in HL2. So far, nothing really objectionable, although the loading times in Portal were a bit of a pain.

It's been a lot of fun, so no complaints here.

Borys

Banned
RubberJohnny said:
GAF really needs to set a consensus on inferior PS3 ports. Do you not support crappy ports, or risk lowered dev support? The same argument appears all the time.

I don't care if you intend to play Orange Box on PS3, microwave or NDS. It's worth it. Even at 10 fps, black and white only.

I do not endorse other shitty PS3 ports, but Orange Box is worth playing on any system.

This shit better not become some sort of trend this gen. Finish your game before you finish it. Don't ship some buggy half finished product and then attempt to patch it afterwards.

Shamrock

Banned
I don't think that is going to happen. If you visit the steam forums and look in the 360/PS3 Forum you will find just as many posts from Valve employee's telling PS3 fans that EA is responsible for everything Orange box on PS3 from patches to technical support.

Here is one response from a Valve employee right here.
I believe EA is supposed to offer full support for the PS3 version as they were the ones who produced and developed it. I'm not sure why they are handing you off to us.

GeoramA

Playing HL2 right now and the only problem I encountered so far were a few seconds of slowdown during the Route Kanal chapter. And Portal had no performance problems at all.

steve

Banned
I haven't encountered anything worth complaining over, the game looks and runs fine. If a patch is going to lessen load times, then bring it on. Otherwise, the game's fine just how it is now.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
EktorPR said:
I know, but is it this slow? Dying in Portal = a trip to the fridge and back.
No, it's fast on the 360 and PC (now), but it's actually faster than Half-Life 2 was back in 2004 when it was first released. That was awful (waiting a full minute or more per load screen).

itxaka

Defeatist
Just checked you post history. Well done.

did you find anything interesting? please share with us.

Elbrain said:
So are we going to hang someone to rectify the problem! :D

spwolf? nah, he don´t deserve it. He just bashed a nice game and was happy because it didn´t sell well.

And no, Valve won´t address any issue on the EA developed Orange Box.

Nizz

Borys said:
I don't care if you intend to play Orange Box on PS3, microwave or NDS. It's worth it. Even at 10 fps, black and white only.

I do not endorse other shitty PS3 ports, but Orange Box is worth playing on any system.
:lol So what I get from GAF is that the PS3 verison of Orange Box really isn't that bad, eh? I played it on my nephew's 360, but I'd really like to get this for my PS3. If it's really only Episode 2 with the jitters (and not that bad from what I hear from you guys) then I'll pick this up.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
fps fanatic said:
:lol So what I get from GAF is that the PS3 verison of Orange Box really isn't that bad, eh? I played it on my nephew's 360, but I'd really like to get this for my PS3. If it's really only Episode 2 with the jitters (and not that bad from what I hear from you guys) then I'll pick this up.

There's also the horrible loadings on Portal but one hour in the game you'll want to use this time to call people and tell them how this game makes you happy as a gamer, better as a human and that the cake in your pants is definitely not a lie.

You can witness those on gametrailers and decide for yourself. I'm playing the orange box on PC so the idea of playing this with a pad...*throws up*. No KB/Mouse support on any console version I imagine?

Top Bottom