• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USB 3.0 unveiled, 2010 gaming devices rejoice

Wollan

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/10/usb-3-0-in-the-flesh/

Releases in 2010, just in time for the next wave of consoles.

Transfer speed: 4.8 Gbit/s (600 MB/s)
Perk: Powering system which intelligently cuts the juice when you're not using a device.

usb304.jpg

LowParry

Damn. Now that's a transfer rate. So far far away though. 2010 may be the year to get me a new computer :D

Wollan

It's good to have high transfer speed when you connect your portable next gen HDD to the software vending machine @ 7/11. Sell your EB stocks.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
PC Gaming is back!

the only real thing I could see being better with this technology is external graphics cards now being possible without a large a mount of suck to them.

other than that I dont know how much this would benefit, well unless it helpes charge controllers faster, which wouldent make that much sense at all.

Slavik81

So if we build a desktop in '09, what would we have to change to use USB 3.0 (to its full potential) when it comes out?

Can't find the image but: Homer: Oh, five thousand dollars for a computer and it can't handle a simple assignment. [pushes computer into trash can]

Applies here.

wsippel

Banned
CcrooK said:
Damn. Now that's a transfer rate. So far far away though. 2010 may be the year to get me a new computer :D
This is a transfer rate:

12X-Infiniband-R.jpg

Infiniband 12x - 20Gbit/s serial interface. Available since 2006.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
While it's not gaming related, I see a lot of potential in external hard drive transfer rate.

Inspirius

The backwards compatibility thing is going to be interesting here. In order to have higher transfer speed the connectors are actually different in USB3 to USB2 and 1.1. You will still be able to plug a USB2 device into a USB3 slot and use it but not the other way around. You of course could plug a USB2 device into USB1.1 and have it work, just a lot slower.

The other interesting thing is that they have shown a version of the connector that has two optical connections, looks like it is intended to be an interconnect connection as well.

I hope they up the amount of power that can be drawn over the interface, the current 5 volt 500ma limit is a bit low for charging portable devices.

EDIT: Actually I may be completely wrong here, it's not entirely clear whether you can plug USB3 into 2 and have it work, let's hope they aren't complete idiots and it all works fine.

Jonnyram

thetrin said:
While it's not gaming related, I see a lot of potential in external hard drive transfer rate.
Yeah, good luck finding a drive that can read at that speed!

Maybe this could replace HDMI for A/V stuff? Or 1000base-T for network stuff? It could serve a bunch of uses really.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
I bet PS4's controller needs 4.8Gbit/s transfer rate for the next gimmick they try to copy from Nintendo, lawlz!

itxaka

Defeatist
Why don´t they give this up and work on Wireless at 600 mbps? After having a rented camera with wireless connection, usb is useless for me. Cables have to go.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Look at that cable cutaway, expensive cables confirmed. Not only is USB3.0 going to shielded conductors, it is including the old USB conductors in the cable for BC.

I'm sure Monster already has their $150 USB 3.x certified prototypes. :D

wsippel

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Yeah, good luck finding a drive that can read at that speed!

Maybe this could replace HDMI for A/V stuff? Or 1000base-T for network stuff? It could serve a bunch of uses really.
We're already at 10GbE. More than two times as fast as USB 3.0, and on the market since 2005. USB isn't really all that well suited for networking, anyway, and I doubt USB 3 will change that.

itxaka said:
Why don´t they give this up and work on Wireless at 600 mbps? After having a rented camera with wireless connection, usb is useless for me. Cables have to go.

Global headache aproaching.

Ravidrath

Isn't the transfer rate already somewhat outdated? FireWire 800's already available with new Macs, and you can buy external drives that use it, etc.

SexConker

Banned
No.
FireWire 800 = Mbps.
USB 3.0 = 4.8 Gbps = 600 MBps.

MB = megabyte.
Mb = megabit.

mB = megabyte. The use of a lower case m is incorrect.
mb = megabyte, but check your context. People usually use this form for bits because they don't want to capitalize things (the K, M, etc). Byte should be assumed when dealing with storage, and bit should be assumed when dealing with transport (buses, intertrons, and interconnects).

Well not really... in this case 4.8 Gbps = 4,800,000,000 bps. Damned marketing.

When you have a K, M, etc, you're talking about 1,000, 1,000,000, etc.
When you add a b or B (for bit or byte) you're talking about 1,024, 1,048,576, etc.

(1,024 is 2 to the power of 10, and is used in computer science because it plays nice in a binary system, where things like to be powers of 2.)

You may see some places talking about kibibytes or mibibytes or some other crap denoted by KiB or Kib or etc. This is a bullshit made up term that a bunch of non scientists invented to deal with the confusion among the masses. ("Why is my 300 GB hard drive only 279 GB?!")

Marketing people love to assume K, M, and G are the classical multiples of 1000, because when dealing with GB, you can advertise a 7.375% larger size than you actually have if you ignore the fact that 1024 is the magic number, not 1000.
This difference increases to nearly 10% when dealing with TB marketed sizes.
A drive marketed as being 1 TB in size really only has 931 GB. (931GB * ~1.1 = 1024GB, or 1TB)

Top Bottom