• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's up with the GIF speed difference between Firefox and IE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed it plenty of times before, but the fact that I use IE at work and I have a gif as an avatar just brought it to mind. It seems too fast in Firefox, but too slow in IE. It doesn't happen to all GIFs that I've seen, though.

(for example this one)
7150igk.gif

I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong that creates the speed difference. I use Imageready, btw.

I use Firefox and that gif shows up at the correct speed for me.

But yeah, I've too noticed that all browsers show gif's and even images in other ways.

For example, when someone has an avatar which is actually over the resolution limit, it shows up very pixel-ish and jaggie in Firefox to me. Viewed in Opera, it is seen as crisp clear and sharp.

Kastro

Banned
I get it too.. and your avatar is really freaking me out right now because the hands are moving way fast.

I believe it has something to do with IE having a maximum speed for GIF animation. For example, let's say it won't run GIFs any faster than 10 frames per second, so if you animate at gif at 20fps, IE's going to slow it down to 10fps. If you animate it at 8fps, it won't be slowed down. (Note I just made those numbers up. I know very little about GIF animation). Firefox, on the other hand, is displaying them properly (ie - at whatever speed they are supposed to be run at).

I could be totally wrong, but this makes sense in my head. I suppose it could be the opposite as well, that Firefox has a minimum speed and cranks the speed up on anything below it.

StrikerObi said:
I believe it has something to do with IE having a maximum speed for GIF animation. For example, let's say it won't run GIFs any faster than 10 frames per second, so if you animate at gif at 20fps, IE's going to slow it down to 10fps. If you animate it at 8fps, it won't be slowed down. (Note I just made those numbers up. I know very little about GIF animation). Firefox, on the other hand, is displaying them properly (ie - at whatever speed they are supposed to be run at).

I could be totally wrong, but this makes sense in my head. I suppose it could be the opposite as well, that Firefox has a minimum speed and cranks the speed up on anything below it.
Could be both!

I just know that neither Firefox nor IE7 display my avatar at the same speed as Imageready.

Your avatar is the same speed in both, too.

This is why I'm thinking I'm fucking up something when I create my GIFs.

CajoleJuice said:
I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong that creates the speed difference. I use Imageready, btw.

Maybe it's just me, but ImageReady doesn't run animated GIF's at the speed you set it to. The preview will most often be slower. I use ACDSEE to double check if GIF's are working properly because IE also tends to be slower.

But Firefox is somehow faster. It just adds to the mystery.

StrikerObi said:

This is correct. IE doesn't obey the frame time set, Firefox does.

Also, Imageready doesn't play gifs at the correct speed. The better question is: does the gif play at the same speed when you view it in irfanview and Firefox?

fistfulofmetal said:
This is correct. IE doesn't obey the frame time set, Firefox does.

Also, Imageready doesn't play gifs at the correct speed. The better question is: does the gif play at the same speed when you view it in irfanview and Firefox?
I wouldn't know. Getting that program now. Thanks for the info. :D

Imageready really should play them at the right speed. What the hell.

CajoleJuice said:
I wouldn't know. Getting that program now. Thanks for the info. :D

Imageready really should play them at the right speed. What the hell.

And as for animated gif makers, you should look into Ulead. It's far superior to Imageready.

fistfulofmetal said:
And as for animated gif makers, you should look into Ulead. It's far superior to Imageready.
I heard the opposite from a master. But I'll look into it.

Actually, wow I have an installer for it on my PC. I think I tried it out once a while ago. :lol

fistfulofmetal said:
I dunno, I only used either to make gifs out of video files and Ulead destroys Imageready in that department.
Ok, that shit is getting installed. Does it actually display the gifs at the right fucking speed?

fistfulofmetal said:
I dunno, I only used either to make gifs out of video files and Ulead destroys Imageready in that department.

yeah ok, but how do I do this. Must I really open a 40000 frame movie or can I configure from which timeframe I want to import the movie in?

Powerslave said:
yeah ok, but how do I do this. Must I really open a 40000 frame movie or can I configure from which timeframe I want to import the movie in?
Well, I usually use Virtualdub to cut out the part of a video I want to mess around with.

Powerslave said:

Hah, maybe. What I do is open up fraps and record a specific section of a video then open THAT in Ulead.

kind of convoluted, but it's better than having to record something in fraps then convert it to mpg so Imageready can recognize it.
at least to me.

I have Virtual Dub, but I only use that program to save frames as jpg's into a folder. Then I make a gif out of it in Imageready.

But I will try out that 'fraps' program.

fistfulofmetal said:
ITT I tell about people about better programs.
Fixed and :bow

Well actually this is gonna take some getting used to...and I was just starting to get the hang of Imageready. So screw this. Thanks anyway, though. :lol

CajoleJuice said:
Well actually this is gonna take some getting used to...and I was just starting to get the hang of Imageready. So screw this. Thanks anyway, though. :lol

It takes a little bit of getting used to, but it is a better app.

Vlad

Personally, I use Jasc Animation Shop for GIF making. I used to like Ulead, but I tried a demo of the most recent version, and it seemed a little too bloated for my taste. Animation Shop does everything I want it to and is nice and straightforward.

NotWii

Banned
IE has a weird timing restriction on GIFs
Anything that has a frame duration of less than 6ms slows down really badly.

santouras

I've noticed timing differences between the opera 9.2x (too slow) series and the Opera 9.5x (too fast) series of browsers as well. It is interesting

gblues

Banned
It probably also has to do with how animated GIFs are handled behind the scenes. Firefox basically allocates a gigantic bitmap and then simply alters the viewport. The result is a bit longer initialization but smooth framerate since it doesn't have to do disk I/O for each frame.

santouras

miyamotofreak said:
Safari is fucking terrible.
fixed

Rlan said:
I get slow GIFs in Opera and fast in Firefox, aren't they based on the same stuff?

no, they both use different rendering engines. Firefox is gekko, Opera is Merlin(9.0-9.2), Kestrel (9.5) and soon Peregrine(10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom