• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton - English trailer

Kintaro said:
Woof. $34.99? I'll wait on this with that price. =/

Yeah, I'm pretty sick of all the nasty 35-40$ pricetags a lot of companies are putting on their DS games as of late. :( Especially bad for me since I usually refuse to buy games unless they're under 20 bucks. Ninja Gaiden comes with a really sweet bonus for preorder (and the game looks sweet) but I'm not sure I want to pay 35$. :(

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Kintaro said:
Woof. $34.99? I'll wait on this with that price. =/

Goddamn it, handheld games should be $29.99 at most.

It doesn't help that Nintendo NEVER does price drops.....ever. Animal Crossing and Mario Kart are still $34.99

Hcoregamer00 said:
Goddamn it, handheld games should be $29.99 at most.

It doesn't help that Nintendo NEVER does price drops.....ever. Animal Crossing and Mario Kart are still $34.99

yeah WTF happened to Player's Choice, Nintendo? They had those when they were flopping with the GC, now they're on top of the world and apparently they're too good for Player's Choice. Sleezy bastards. :lol

batbeg

I think this looks pretty fantastic :) If it's going for $35 in America I fear what they may charge here in the UK though.

Aeana

Chris Michael said:
I really hope they don't screw up the localization, the Layton games have always intrigued me a lot.

Didn't Nintendo/Treehouse do the localization for this? They're the people you want to do the localization for whatever game you're interested in. They're awesome.

slaughterking said:
Wow @ people freaking out because of a 35$ price point. You're really spoiled.

And I'm a bitter euro gamer. D:
Same here!

just shut up all. we pay around 55$ for such a game, that's why I import them from you

Aeana said:
Didn't Nintendo/Treehouse do the localization for this? They're the people you want to do the localization for whatever game you're interested in. They're awesome.

What have they done? Did they do Symphonia?

Mirimar said:
I'm an idiot.

Not clever, but probably the most truthful thing that could ever be said about you.

Have you played it? Probably not. So basically, based on nothing, you assume that this game is not worth $35.00.

Until your posts stop sucking ass, GTFO.

And for fuck's sake, the game has voice acting, handdrawn FMVs, and more than one hundred clever puzzles on top of the many downloadable puzzles Nintendo offers. Base your opinion on something besides your stupidity.

nli10

Surely none of us have played the English language version to find out whether it is worth the mythical $35 or not, so comments either way would be baseless?

The voice acting is unfortunately from the All-English-Over-Pronounce-Everything school of American voice acting - which kind of fits in with the Miyazaki vibe, but is going to be a tad annoying for those of us with real British accents... :lol

nli10 said:
Surely none of us have played the English language version to find out whether it is worth the mythical $35 or not, so comments either way would be baseless?

The voice acting is unfortunately from the All-English-Over-Pronounce-Everything school of American voice acting - which kind of fits in with the Miyazaki vibe, but is going to be a tad annoying for those of us with real British accents... :lol

We've already seen reviews that call it a great game.

We have positive reviews to base our expectations on, people who are saying it's not worth $35.00 do not base it on any reviews, because negative reviews are pretty rare.

jesusraz

nli10 said:

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw the trailer earlier. Why can't they just hire proper British accents? Do they not realise we don't speak like that!! :/

Anyway, fantastic game from what I played of the Japanese version, so can't wait for the full translation. Great that Treehouse is on the case :)

madara

Mirimar said:
Heh...bargain bin quick please, $20

Ah at that price point after publishing, manufacturing costs and other fees they would get $6 at title. Some of you really need take few moments and think outside yourself. The era of cheap ass gamers surely isn't helping small more original games.
Anyway that video looks better then expected,definitely keeping my preorder!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
madara said:
Ah at that price point after publishing, manufacturing costs and other fees they would get $6 at title. Some of you really need take few moments and think outside yourself. The era of cheap ass gamers surely isn't helping small more original games.
Anyway that video looks better then expected,definitely keeping my preorder!

Normally, I wouldn't care. However, this year is already starting off with awesome games all over the place. I can wait on Layton to drop in price (even from $29.99) or wait until a lull in releases and not feel bad about it one bit. The game is already on it's sequel and selling over a million. Cry me a river.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
guidop said:
Britney spears voice acting? Those british voice overs are TRRRRBLE
Because voice acting is really the main point behind a video game's sales.

Grow the fuck up.

Srider

Banned
Mildly disappointed at the localization, especially the title...

I don't know, the Japanese version was really good at first, but like most sub par suspense/mystery stories, it just fuzzes out after a few hours of play.

It's also when you realize the puzzles are mostly just variations of one another logic wise. I would say enjoyable puzzles in the game is about 1/4th or 1/5th of the total amount. A couple of them are just kind of ridiculous (makes little sense) when you see the explanation of the answers.

Of course, the majority of the puzzles are optional, but I took the effort to solve them all, so my thoughts about the game is based upon that. The game has its moments though, and some of the puzzles I throughly enjoyed. Just that maybe it wasn't such a good idea to spend the time to see every one of them.

batbeg

Chris Michael said:
What have they done? Did they do Symphonia?

They've done loooads of stuff. Paper Mario, Baten Kaitos Origins, Advance Wars, etc. etc. They do, as far as I've seen, pretty much all Nintendo published games. No idea if they do anything else though.

Like others have said, handheld games shouldn't break the $30 price point regardless of the quality, because let's face it if we were paying by the perceived quality this game could easily go for $40 or more (sorry Euro dwellers).

Top Bottom