• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

cacildo

TunaLover said:
I don't know if someone posted it before, but I can see a heart every time I put the options screen in RE4 =P

DSCF0092.jpg

:lol :lol
Stupid and fun.

Rich!

sits said:
Minor point, but I don't remember this being mentioned anywhere in the previous 100+ pages: we've been using a hacked/modded version of SMB for this screenshot. (Look at the coin counter.)

I don't think so.

Looks like either the tg16 version or the arcade booth version.

reetva

Banned
You can pick up brooms and hoes in Assassin's Creed II to use as weapons. If you grab someone, you can slit their throat with them. You can slit people's throats with brooms in Assassin's Creed II.

Best game ever? :lol
They count as mace/hammer-type blunt weapons for all animation-related purposes if you were wondering.

reetva said:
You can pick up brooms and hoes in Assassin's Creed II to use as weapons. If you grab someone, you can slit their throat with them. You can slit people's throats with brooms in Assassin's Creed II.

Best game ever? :lol
They count as mace/hammer-type blunt weapons for all animation-related purposes if you were wondering.
You can pick up hoes in GTA games and then slit their throats.

Mandoric said:
Sometimes this is so poor for representing a terminal t that -ts(u) is used instead, the u in su and tsu being particularly silent in standard dialect.
tsu actually represents the short vowel sound that isn't found in most latin based/romance languages or japanese.

Take the word "Sonic" for example. ソニック

The ッ is there to tell the reader that this use the short vowel sound. So it's read as "So-nick" instead of "So-neek"

EDIT: Nevermind, I misunderstood what you're saying. I've never ever seen ッ used to represent 't' in romanization, ever, unless the word being romanized actually ends with 'ts'.

CryptiK

Nintendo 64 upside down looks like a Koala

3HVZC.jpg

I stole this from reddit also if this has been posted before my bad

SmokyDave

This is probably only of interest to me and two other people on the board but...

If you have a C64 and want to warm reboot without buying a cheat cartridge (for entering pokes etc) then look at the expansion port on the back of the C64 and use a paperclip to connect the leftmost pin with the pin third from the left. Et Voila! warm reboot, poke away at RAM until your heart is content, spend that extra £15 on a Quickshot.

plufim

Something I discovered years ago, which may or may not be widely known:

In the megadrive sonic games, the noise of collecting rings alternate between the left and right speaker (1st ring collected in left, 2nd in right, 3rd in left, etc). Easy enough to miss, especially since most games of that era were played on mono TVs.

mclem

SmokyDave said:
This is probably only of interest to me and two other people on the board but...

If you have a C64 and want to warm reboot without buying a cheat cartridge (for entering pokes etc) then look at the expansion port on the back of the C64 and use a paperclip to connect the leftmost pin with the pin third from the left. Et Voila! warm reboot, poke away at RAM until your heart is content, spend that extra £15 on a Quickshot.

Given I bought a C64 for a tenner about ten years ago, I really hope the stick wouldn't cost 50% more!

plufim said:

In the megadrive sonic games, the noise of collecting rings alternate between the left and right speaker (1st ring collected in left, 2nd in right, 3rd in left, etc). Easy enough to miss, especially since most games of that era were played on mono TVs.
Yeah, I once played on a stereo tv and heared it. :D

plufim said:

A good effect most modern sonic games do not make obvious or do it at all, it's great to stop the same effect playing quickly and sounding shit.

As a kid I first found out about that ring noise using earphones on my model 1 megadrive which had an earphone port on it, I was like wtfomgwow!

When I replaced it with a model 2 I lost earphone support and was upset :(

Mandoric

Banned
SuperAngelo64 said:
EDIT: Nevermind, I misunderstood what you're saying. I've never ever seen ッ used to represent 't' in romanization, ever, unless the word being romanized actually ends with 'ts'.

Shirt, suit, content.

Prime Blue said:
Thought I'd drop this here as it sure blew my mind when I saw it.

He'll never be the same again. ;)

Though I would love to take you on and show you how the Japanese materials themselves use the word "GANON" in English, the person who wrote that rebuttal misses the entire point of the site (as do 99% of people).

IT. IS. A. ****ING. JOKE.

Made it up when I was a teen with a friend and thought it would be funny to troll. True story. And a cool one, too, bro.

Platy

There is something that actualy blew my mind but i can't find anywhere here ...

Smash Bros's Mr Game & Watch is NOT a sprite ...but a full 3d model with a very bizarre cell shading applied and flattened ...

When i searched for youtube movies with chars with swaped movesets ... i saw one with mr game and watch ... and he was moving smoothly and ... my head exploded =P

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
wondermega said:
heatman.png

Heatman from Mega Man 2 is a Zippo lighter

zippo_windproof_lighter.jpg
great find brother!
also look at this one:

25gfjw2.png

cutman from mega man 1 has scissor blades on his head!

ogi7w2.jpg

surely not a coincidence, no????

Platy said:
There is something that actualy blew my mind but i can't find anywhere here ...

Smash Bros's Mr Game & Watch is NOT a sprite ...but a full 3d model with a very bizarre cell shading applied and flattened ...

When i searched for youtube movies with chars with swaped movesets ... i saw one with mr game and watch ... and he was moving smoothly and ... my head exploded =P

When Yoshi is an egg on Game & Watch's stage in Melee, he becomes "2D" (really just flat, but still):

2D%20Egg.jpg

Video:

http://www.gwlvideos.com/Vids/SSBM/Yoshi 2D.mpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Leondexter said:
When Yoshi is an egg on Game & Watch's stage in Melee, he becomes "2D" (really just flat, but still):

Every character and item becomes flat in both Game & Watch stages across Melee and Brawl. It renders the 3D model, but on a flat 2D plain, so there's no physical depth. Its part of the style for both stages.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Prime Blue said:
You didn't understand my post at all. Unlike the "u" from "ru", you can't drop the "o" from "ro".

It was "Gannon" for five years, even after the American "Ganon" was introduced. That's what it was meant to be. The notion of saying "Ganon" is a correction and "Gannon" is a mistake places a ridiculous amount of faith in localization teams of the Eighties and some fan who spread his stupid assumptions which everyone picked up in fear of being GANNON-BANNED.
I'm not even sure if Japanese people themselves take the Japanese language this seriously.

MNC

EatChildren said:
Every character and item becomes flat in both Game & Watch stages across Melee and Brawl. It renders the 3D model, but on a flat 2D plain, so there's no physical depth. Its part of the style for both stages.
This basically.

Next thing you peeps are gonna tell me you didn't know you're playing on an actual G&W handheld, viewable if you pause the game!

Well I don't know how many people knew this, but I just discovered you can turn off your Wii by holding the Power Button on your Wiimote. Yeah, stupid, but I've had a Wii since launch and I never knew that :lol

Oh and Kingdom Hearts wasn't the first time Square and Disney worked together. There was actually plans for a Disney published FF Comic, supposedly based off "FF II" (no idea if it was the Japanese II or the US II, the Cover could suggest either one.

wknt02.jpg

Oh and recently playing the GB Mega Man games and getting the MM Complete Works Book

959257-446096_quint_large_super.jpg

=

cn-megaman.png

Not the exact coloring but they both possess blue visors.

And another weird coincidence. Here's some sketches drawn by Inafune imagining an "American Mega Man"

2j1x1kh.png

Looks a lot like...

MegaManTitleCard.JPG

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Choppasmith said:
Well I don't know how many people knew this, but I just discovered you can turn off your Wii by holding the Power Button on your Wiimote. Yeah, stupid, but I've had a Wii since launch and I never knew that :lol

This is getting silly.

OMG Aero

Choppasmith said:
You can also press the button that looks like a house to bring up the home menu.
That blew my mind when I realised.

Choppasmith said:

You can even turn it ON with this trick! (Wasn't this even shown in the very first Wii videos?)

Choppasmith said:
And another weird coincidence. Here's some sketches drawn by Inafune imagining an "American Mega Man"

2j1x1kh.png

Looks a lot like...
MegaManTitleCard.JPG

The third one reminds me of Mega Girl from that single Captain N episode.

180px-Cntgmmegagirl.jpg

reetva

Banned
KevinCow said:
Why does Mega Zero have a mixer?
Because that's Roll. And everyone knows that the one recurring female character in all of Mega Man has to have a mixer for a hand because that is what women do. They replace their hands with cooking utensils.

:lol

EatChildren said:

I guess the mind-blowing part here, then, would be for you to find out that you're wrong. Go and look (or just watch the video): characters do NOT become flattened on the Game & Watch stage, EXCEPT when paused. Yoshi is in complete 3D. He has depth and can turn back and forth without the sheet effect that happens when he's an egg. It's only when he's an egg that he's flat.

MNC said:
Next thing you peeps are gonna tell me you didn't know you're playing on an actual G&W handheld, viewable if you pause the game!

Go boot up the game and blow your mind.

Top Bottom