• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Nakasan

One for Saturn-GAF:

I was inspired to play Burning Rangers last night thanks to discussions in the Saturn games for download (sega thinking about it) thread. I play it every couple of months or so, absolutely love it, and always watch the intro to get me in the mood...

"Sense a spilit second".

Not seen it in over 10 years, despite having read it roughly 100 times.

I thought it was pretty funky, maybe not mind blowing, but still funky.

Salsa

Chao said:
Jim_FlexDropPants.gif

Earthworm Jim's legs are mechanical. Not that shocking because, you know, that was a super space suit after all but never noticed them back in the day. I just assumed the suit had white fleshy legs or something. Crappy 14 inch crt tv helped too.

Thread does it yet again. My god, so many years thinking those were his legs, even with no explanation possible.

Ydahs

OnPoint said:
I'm curious as to why you haven't picked up Canvas Curse? No DS available? Dislike of touch-screen elements? It's easily one of the best Kirby games available.
I guess I completely forgot about it, considering it came out in Australia nearly a year after it's US release. Maybe I should look into it...

SpacLock

Was posted in another thread by someone else, but I don't remember who.

You could play with dual analog controls in Goldeneye for N64 by hooking up two controllers.

Controller 1:

B Button: Action
A Button: Fire
Start Button: Pause
Z Trigger: Aim
Control Stick Up/Down: Move
Control Stick Left/Right: Turn

Controller 2:

Z Trigger: Fire
Control Stick Up/Down: Look
Control Stick Left/Right: Strafe

Other control styles.

Fuckin miracles!

Bob White

SpacLock said:

You could play with dual analog controls in Goldeneye for N64 by hooking up two controllers.

Controller 1:

Controller 2:

Other control styles.

Fuckin miracles!

:O

my...GOD

Eteric Rice

SpacLock said:

Controller 1:

Controller 2:

Other control styles.

Fuckin miracles!

JESUS CHRIST!

:O

Jokey665

SpacLock said:
Yeah I played around with all the control settings back in the day, and the dual controller ones felt like the weirdest shit ever.

b.e.r.g

SpacLock said:

Controller 1:

Controller 2:

Other control styles.

Fuckin miracles!
Hah, I remember that!

*mind amused*

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Erigu said:
Speaking of which, a week before Sony registered the title "Wander to Kyozô" (i.e. the original title of Shadow of the Colossus), they registered "Nimrod no Kyozô (Nimrod Colossus)".
Note how "Nimrod Colossus" could be shortened as "NiCo".
That would be great, so many things. The big one that stands out is the fact Ni means 2.

SpacLock said:

Yay, I made a tiny difference! (but not really -- I was six minutes too slow, beaten by Tomasooie)

I just wanted to insert a slight addendum by pointing out that the conventional, modern method of dual analog, in which you move linearly with your left thumb and rotationally with your right thumb, was possible, but you had to hold the two controllers in opposite hands from which the game developers probably intended (controller #1 going into the right hand, controller #2 going into the left hand) -- that's with the Goodhead setting.

Gravijah

SapientWolf said:
Bugs Bunny ruined the word nimrod for all time. People now think it means idiot but it really means "great hunter."

Just how the world works. Would you name your son Gaylord these days?

ITA84

SapientWolf said:
Bugs Bunny ruined the word nimrod for all time. People now think it means idiot but it really means "great hunter."
More like it's Elmer's fault for beind an idiot and not a great hunter.

Chao said:
Earthworm Jim's legs are mechanical. Not that shocking because, you know, that was a super space suit after all but never noticed them back in the day. I just assumed the suit had white fleshy legs or something. Crappy 14 inch crt tv helped too.
Never really noticed the mechanical legs before, even though I've seen that animation several times on the Net as well.

Erigu

Drkirby said:
That would be great, so many things. The big one that stands out is the fact Ni means 2.
Actually, when Ueda explained the "Nico" development title, he said that it stood for "Next Ico". Nothing about a pun on "ni"/"two". 'Doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't intended as well, but I've never seen an actual confirmation from the man himself.

kinn

Erigu said:
Speaking of which, a week before Sony registered the title "Wander to Kyozô" (i.e. the original title of Shadow of the Colossus), they registered "Nimrod no Kyozô (Nimrod Colossus)".
Note how "Nimrod Colossus" could be shortened as "NiCo".

I remember reading in Edge about SoC and how Nimrod spelt backwards is Dormin.

Mike M

Nick N
Gravijah said:
Isn't he just a really small earthworm in a giant suit?
Giant earthworm (in the cartoon, the suit falling on him made him grow larger and sprout some eyes) in a person-sized suit.

bummyhead

Metalmurphy said:
What really blows my mind is that fact that she's not even attractive but gets all sort of attention just cause she's in the gaming industry.

I mean
jade-raymond-pic.jpg
jade-raymond-21b.jpg

Ugh...

She's not unnatractive, she's actually quite cute. I have seen a hell of a lot of uglier girls than her, on a daily basis.

bummyhead

Guybrush Threepwood said:
The PS1 and PS2 have both sold over 100 million units.

How? I just don't understand. I'm pretty sure the original Game Boy sold over 100 million units, but it was small, cheap, and portable. It's not really a surprise that it would be a sales megaton.

But home consoles selling that much? Insanity.

It's because Sony's consoles are built for shit, and dumbasses kept RE-buying them.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
bummyhead said:
It's because Sony's consoles are built for shit, and dumbasses kept RE-buying them.
Haha, I guess the same thing could be said about 360/PS3 I guess?

bummyhead

CaVaYeRo said:
This is even worse, including most "pro" journalist:
6) People typing and saying "Nintendo Wii" insted of what Nintendo clearly said in the console name PR: "Wii".

Uh, how it is wrong the mention the name of the company that makes the console that is called Wii when discussing said console?

Cheerilee

bummyhead said:
Uh, how it is wrong the mention the name of the company that makes the console that is called Wii when discussing said console?
Because Nintendo sent out a press release explaining the proper use of their made-up word, and specified that you were never to say things like "the Wii" or "Nintendo Wii", it was just supposed to be "Wii" by itself.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
ruby_onix said:
Because Nintendo sent out a press release explaining the proper use of their made-up word, and specified that you were never to say things like "the Wii" or "Nintendo Wii", it was just supposed to be "Wii" by itself.
Someone should notify the Nintendo marketing department, then, 'cause many of the TV ads for first party games end with "only for Nintendo Wii".

Celine

Jocchan said:
Someone should notify the Nintendo marketing department, then, 'cause many of the TV ads for first party games end with "only for Nintendo Wii".
Eh eh when the console caught success they slapped their name on it ;-)

japtar10101 said:
I hear it's a well-known glitch, but I never knew this. You can climb down the second ladder in Donkey Kong (the arcade game) for the NES.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swvy_STYgwY
:lol
Nintendo is amazing.

SpacLock said:

Controller 1:

Controller 2:

Other control styles.

Fuckin miracles!

The best thing about that control method was that if you were using it when you finished a level, you could shoot during the cutscenes, and kill other characters (Bond was immune). You aimed and fired as you normally would with that control scheme, but there's no cursor.

This made for some pretty damn hilarious cutscenes.

Top Bottom