• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy Chinese New Year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thai

Bane was better.
It is the year 4705 in the Chinese Lunar Calendar, also the year of the rat!

At my house we're offering food to the gods and ancestors and tomorrow will receive some "red envelopes" filled with moneys! Although, I only get money from my parents nowadays as my aunts and uncles don't deem me worthy anymore :lol :lol :lol

I remember in my teens hauling like a couple hundred bucks or so, now, I'm getting like 20$. What the heck?!

What do you guys do celebrate the new year?

*ahem* I think the PC term is "Lunar New Year"

(But the Chinese invented it so I call it Chinese New Year anyway =D )

I was going to go to my parents' tonight for New Year Eve dinner, but my dad was too busy to cook =(

So I'm going on Saturday instead.

In our family, you keep getting money until you're married and have kids. When you get married and have kids, it's your turn to give out money. (It's good incentive to stay unmarried.)

My parents have started giving me more money as I got older. But my grandpa has been giving me $5 since I was 5 years old. Someone needs to tell him about inflation.

NomarTyme

Just got my red envelop, even though I don't really need the money.

Edit: And yes when I was younger I use to get crazy amount of envelop. It pay for my gaming! and baseball cards.

{Mike}

Banned
Thai said:

At my house we're offering food to the gods and ancestors and tomorrow will receive some "red envelopes" filled with moneys! Although, I only get money from my parents nowadays as my aunts and uncles don't deem me worthy anymore :lol :lol :lol

I remember in my teens hauling like a couple hundred bucks or so, now, I'm getting like 20$. What the heck?!

That's fucked up.

Chinomen

Thai said:

zOMG same here dude! it freakin sucks! oh well at least its better than $0

Troidal

It's called Old New Years in Japan, and we are one of the eastern cultures that don't celebrate this :/ Man why can't we celebrate and have like a week off like most of Asia? Booooo!

kassatsu

Banned
sackboyknit2.jpg

恭喜發財!

tenchir

Thai said:

I am in my late 20s and I feel embarassed getting money from my relatives, so I don't visit them anymore during this time........ them visiting us on the other hand............ I made 345 buck so far. Most of my relatives like me. :p

Pachael

Happy Lunar New Year to all.

新年快乐,年年有余,万事如意, 等等。

In AU-land it's only celebrated amongst the Chinese and Vietnamese communities so no week off for us. Anyhoo, retailers have used Xmas really well so that there's a long(er) shopping period from November to February (eg. a month before Xmas to the end of Lunar New Year, which never goes past Feb).

JoeFu

Banned
Happy New Years!!

I love calling my aunt or uncles house during holidays. Get to talk to EVERYBODY, so much fun.

ip916a4bb

Happy New year

I must say, new year doesnt feel like it here in North America. I wish I was back at home where most of family/relatives are but ah well...

suzu

money money money Happy CNY! :]

As a kid I would get $300+... nowadays, I barely get more than $50 (although I don't visit relatives as much as I used to).

Zyzyxxz

Me mum already gave me 100 bucks, kinda sad for me this year since my gramps is dying and I just got the last red envelope I will ever get from him again.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Happy New Year!

Usually the family will visit this temple my grandpa used to visit and then mill around Chinatown. Thankfully they at least set off exhibition fireworks now rather than the total fireworks ban under Giuliani. I miss seeing the streets awash with red paper.

wait, so today the 7th is the official day? the day where pour tea and i say those 4 word positive aphorisms to my parents and then i get money? i always forget when to do it and my parents are impatiently expecting it

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Yeah Chinese new year is crazy, my friend is living in China at the moment, and the city is going crazy this week! Everyone's on holidays for a week, the subways are empty, and you gotta yell all the time outside if you wanna have your voice heard, since everyone's shooting rockets and blowing bombs nonstop all the time!

Here's a vid he recorded on the new year evening: http://youtube.com/watch?v=_pMsqL3E_m0

The title means "war" in finnish :lol

Pachael

muttyeah416 said:
wait, so today the 7th is the official day? the day where pour tea and i say those 4 word positive aphorisms to my parents and then i get money? i always forget when to do it and my parents are impatiently expecting it

Yes, today today today!

Osaka said:
Yeah Chinese new year is crazy, my friend is living in China at the moment, and the city is going crazy this week! Everyone's on holidays for a week, the subways are empty, and you gotta yell all the time outside if you wanna have your voice heard, since everyone's shooting rockets and blowing bombs nonstop all the time!

Here's a vid he recorded on the new year evening: http://youtube.com/watch?v=_pMsqL3E_m0

The title means "war" in finnish :lol
holy shit :lol there's not a single moment of silence, it's complete mayhem

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I didn't get to go to Singapore this year with my girlfriend so I missed out on the awesome New Years Eve dinner last night, and tonight will most likely be just as big.

Defuser

speedpop said:
I didn't get to go to Singapore this year with my girlfriend so I missed out on the awesome New Years Eve dinner last night, and tonight will most likely be just as big.
New years eve dinner is awesome, every year me and my family have a hot plate where we cook with Abalone,chicken,mushrooms,scallop.etc on the plate with tons of butter and garlic.

TopDreg

Defuser said:
I don't usually get to keep my red packets, I give them back to my parents.

For me, I usually don't spend my red packets and just deposit them in the bank, which will inevitably be used for college. But this year I'm making an exception.

tnw

Banned
Troidal said:
It's called Old New Years in Japan, and we are one of the eastern cultures that don't celebrate this :/ Man why can't we celebrate and have like a week off like most of Asia? Booooo!

setsubun is kinda fun though......

yeah....

*cough*

Fowler

Kung Hei Fat Choi!

New Year's is in full swing in HK -- which means everyone is home having dinner with family.

...except me, because I'm at work.

klee123

Kung Hei Fat Choi! Happy Chinese new years everyone

Unfortunately for me and my family, since we've have so many things happening soon, we didn't have time to celebrate. We didn't even have Tun Lin Fan (Reunion dinner).

But I get a few red pockets, so I'll probably use that to help fund my books for uni. I wish I was in HK though, it must be madness over there right now.

kung hei fat choi... tbh, i cant celebrate this year's because my grandad recently passed away... heck, i been offered to go eat with some friends and go out but i cant do it. a sad day for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom