• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES 2008 Wii- "Creator's Voice" interview's translation (+ other informative links)

mainimg.jpg

[edit]The interview has finally been translated for Europe !

Link :

http://uk.wii.com/software/interviews/evolution_soccer/index.html

Anyway, if you want to see more of the concepts mentioned in the interview in action, check out these videos :

-> Gameplay, controls, and game modes

-> Ultimate Gameplay/Controls Review (7 minutes, most informative video yet)

-> 2 lengthy videos of the game being played on two different difficulty levels

-> Trailer

->Gameplay Demonstration (advanced technics)

-> Game Intro

Or, you can learn what various publications think of the game so far by checking out these few previews :

IGN preview (01/21/08)

CVG hands-on (01/22/08)

So, I guess we have now enough material to generate a discussion. Well, if it wasn't for the fact that the number of people apparently interested in this game seems disturbingly low...
Oh anyway, I hope that the informations contained in this thread will at least get some people intrigued, interested, or why not, excited about this really promising game.

FF_VIII

Banned
Looks awesome, loving the control scheme.

It looks as if PES is ready to take back its crown :D

Now I just need my Wii to get here so I can play it...

Pre-ordering it this week. Never played too many soccer games before, but the controls in this and the depth look sick.

EDIT: Thanks for the translations! I'll read them when I get home.

Awesome, thankyou.

I can't wait to buy this. The controls look completely awesome - this is the kind of stuff I want to see on Wii.

Polari

As a massive PES fan, I'm hanging out for this. Looks like they're really going to radically change the way developers think about sports games on Wii. Where's my NHL?

Great job, Stormbringer.

This is my most anticipated Wii title at the moment. I LOVE the ability to pass anywhere on the field you want and sending all of your players on various runs. The only thing I am concerned about is whether or not playing defense will work with this setup.

The Hermit

Most expected game for the Wii, now that Smash is almost out.

I have a couple of friends who are really WE adicted, so I want to know they reaction to this. I am sure I will like it.

Thanks for this Storm, much appreciated. Only a week or so left until release. I'm dying to see impressions from Japan, some of the moves in the videos look incredible and open up so many possibilities.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I am very interested in this. To me it seems like the first 3rd party game to really take the Wiimote and do something innovative with it from a gameplay standpoint.

sp0rsk said:
I am very interested in this. To me it seems like the first 3rd party game to really take the Wiimote and do something innovative with it from a gameplay standpoint.

I'd give that vote to Zack and Wiki, but apart from that I agree.

Shouldn't it be coming out in Japan in a week or so? If so, I would imagine a famitsu review or one from other media will be coming in soon.

santouras

FF_VIII said:
Looks awesome, loving the control scheme.

It looks as if PES is ready to take back its crown :D

Now I just need my Wii to get here so I can play it...
they lost it?

I'm looking forward to this a lot. Fifa was a massive dissapointment, and it looks like konami is making the game EA should have

Vinnk

I was surprised to see posters and flyers for this game around my local shops. Form an in-store advertising perspective, this game has a bigger advertising push than Super Smash Bros. Brawl. However that title had tons of hype for the 2 years leading up to it.

I fear PES fans already have a 2008 edition of this game for another system.

Keio

For a Finer World
Vinnk said:
I fear PES fans already have a 2008 edition of this game for another system.
Then again most have been disappointed with the 2008 offerings, so if the Wii version can prove it is different, they might trade their old stuff in to get PES Wii.

I'm really looking forward to this, as the interview confirms they're actually creating a completely new type of football game. After watching Arsenal move the ball around with style and flair against Blackburn I was again struck that you really can't play like that in "normal PES"...

Part 4 is up on the OP, by the way.

Anyway, looks like Konami, and even Nintendo are indeed really confident with this game... First there was the fact that Nintendo are pushing it on their official site via all this coverage (IIRC, didn't Miyamoto himself practically blessed this game in an interview). And now we have reports that the game could be getting a good marketing push one week from his Japanese release date (which is even more unusual for a third party Wii game)...All I can hope is that their efforts pay off in the end. And obviously, that the game delivers on its promises.

apujanata

Stormbringer said:
Part 4 is up on the OP, by the way.

Anyway, looks like Konami, and even Nintendo are indeed really confident with this game... First there was the fact that Nintendo are pushing it on their official site via all this coverage (IIRC, didn't Miyamoto himself practically blessed this game in an interview). And now we have reports that the game could be getting a good marketing push one week from his Japanese release date (which is even more unusual for a third party Wii game)...All I can hope is that their efforts pay off in the end. And obviously, that the game delivers on its promises.

Many thanks for your effort in translating this interview. Very interesting indeed.

I will try out this game when it is out (in US).

Keio said:
Then again most have been disappointed with the 2008 offerings, so if the Wii version can prove it is different, they might trade their old stuff in to get PES Wii.

Can you post more detail on how those fans are disappointed in the 2008 offering ? Just a summary of points they hate.

RJT

I love that they were committed to make a REAL football game. I've always preferred manager games because of that. I need this game!!

Great thread, by the way. Thanks!

This looks so cool in the videos. I really hope this is the real deal.

PES is one of those series where europe actually does not have to wait 5 ages for, so bring it on!

I haven't used the training mode since I first played the series (WE6). However, with this release, I have a feeling the training mode and I will become very comfortable with each other :lol

Batongen said:
yep, this will be me my first PES game in a long time. I can't wait to kick GAF's ass online :D

In my case, this could actually be the first football game I buy since FIFA 98 on the N64... And actually my first and only experience with this series goes back to ISS on the PSOne...So yeah, this will be fun.

Model 500

This is potentially the first gaming revolution (the social revolution happened already) for the Wii, and going by the reviews, it looks like they've pulled it off on their first try. Well done Konami, I haven't bothered with videogame football since KO, Sensi and ISS, but this is a must buy.

I wonder if Konami know they have a proper game that seems to have been taken seriously in development coming out on the Wii.

I think theres a rule against that or something?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
this may actually be the first footy game i ever buy. i'm still on the fence with Okami and smash coming out and all that, but this is looking just as hot as when i saw the first demonstration video. :D

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
If this game turns out to be great, Wii will gain enormous respect in Europe. Nothing is more sacred than soccer here :D

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
marc^o^ said:
If this game turns out to be great, Wii will gain enormous respect in Europe. Nothing is more sacred than soccer here :D
This game will sell crap in europe.

I don't want to knock the advancements they've made (i'll probably be in line, and i very rarely purchase sports games), as it's great to see them reinventing the wheel in a genre that is pretty much limited to simple yearly updates.

But at the same time, i find it funny how they keep referring to it as a new 'build', as if the WE series has only been a single game for the last 10 years, just released yearly at different states of completion. I wonder how old some of their code is :lol

And given that for a while, you will not be able to experience another soccer game like this brand new version of the Winning Eleven series, I hope you enjoy it.

Is it just me or is that a subtle dig at the no doubt rushed into development FIFA 09 feat. "EA PLAY MAKERER(tm)"?

the androgyne said:
Is it just me or is that a subtle dig at the no doubt rushed into development FIFA 09 feat. "EA PLAY MAKERER(tm)"?

No doubt. FIFA 08 (Wii) looks like utter garbage compared to PES 2008 (Wii) at this point. It's like the FIFA team didn't even think about how to utilize the controls in a way that opens up and advances the game of soccer. Instead, EA looked to be content with replacing a button mash with the waving of the arm (like other rushed Wii ports).

This looks like a breath of fresh air. Although I would not put it past EA to scrap the FIFA 08 build and totally copy PES's Wii control scheme. Heck, to some extent EA may simply resurrect the Off The Ball controls from FIFA 2004, slap it in 09 for the Wii and call it a new feature.

the androgyne said:

It is the "for a while" that makes you believe this, isn't it ? Well, actually, it is pretty much an addition on my part to try to render in my translation the relative modesty and politeness expressed in the original passage (meaning that I assumed that he meant more "for a while" rather than "forever"...). But certainly, would the original passage include a subtle dig at the concurrent, it would have no doubt allowed to fuel a number of speculations and moanings :lol . Speaking of that, I think I'm better off modifying my translation before someone else mistakes the meaning of this passage and takes offence of it. Not that Enomoto would be necessarily wrong to imply this anyway...Quite the contrary, in fact.

Haunted

Exciting.

Roders5 said:
If the control scheme truly works, I'm actually hoping for good word of mouth among soccer aficionados to help sales.

Vinci

Danish
This sounds so awesome. Can't wait to try it. Here's hoping their attention to detail and very effective use of the Wii's controls score well for them in sales.

ksamedi

I think the Winning Eleven guys truly understand game design. I'm surprised that a soccer simulation team is more talented than most Konami studios. Great stuff.

Datschge

Interesting interview, thanks for the translation.

I didn't feel typical action football games so far specifically since they put tactics too much aside during games. Level 5's Inazuma 11 limited demo gameplay already showed to me that a more tactical approach to action football games is possible, and all the videos show so far showcasing PES 2008's approach to this (especially the one official - I think - trailer) are very nice. Very much looking forward to having tactical football competitions with this game.

marc^o^

Roders5 said:
There's a huge community who would buy a wii for this game if it turned out to be the ultimate PES version. Plus Nintendo gamers will AT LAST have a chance to buy a PES on their console. I wouldn't say it will bomb yet. Cab't wait to see Famitsu scores, maybe as early as this week?

egocrata

Banned
You basically can make your team look like a really good team. For the first time ever, a good tactical brain will kill any combo button pusher with tons of muscle memory in the king of all tactical sports.

Day fucking one.

(Egocrata is a crazed European that has every FIFA and PES known to man, including DS versions)

Timbuktu

marc^o^ said:
Plus Nintendo gamers will AT LAST have a chance to buy a PES on their console. I wouldn't say it will bomb yet. Cab't wait to see Famitsu scores, maybe as early as this week?

I had Winning Eleven on Gamecube. I still think this is going to be tricky to market, but I will get this for sure even if I buy only one football game every generation.

marc^o^

Timbuktu said:
I had Winning Eleven on Gamecube.
I did too, WE6FE was the best in the series IMO. But we were happy few to have it in Europe. Import is not exactly mass market.

Banned
If this means the end of the "Pass the ball to one guy, let him run down the field and shoot like a moron" type of playing that I see a lot of in Fifa and PES then I'm good.

gutshot

if we want to make a Wii soccer game, we have to think exclusively with the Wii in mind, without any porting involved, as I believe that using the Wii remote without bulding an original game/concept around it has no meaning.

Wow, finally a third party developer that actually gets it.

Vinci

Danish
gutshot said:
Wow, finally a third party developer that actually gets it.

True, but the publisher side needs to get that they have to actually promote the fucking game or it won't mean anything either.

felipeko

Vinci said:
True, but the publisher side needs to get that they have to actually promote the fucking game or it won't mean anything either.
According to Vinnk they are... It will be only Wii gamers to blame if this bomb...

Top Bottom