• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January 2008 NPD Analysis (next-gen.biz)

jvm

Gamasutra.
Another month, another set of graphs. Next-Gen just posted the article I submitted to them on NPD's January 2007 numbers. As I've read over the official results thread, I think a lot of the same stuff has been said, so I'll just try to hold out an item or two as potentially interesting.

Article link.

An attempt to compare previous December-to-January transitions by viewing January sales as a percentage of December sales:
2n21pg1.gif

Excepting the 2004-2005 and 2007-2008 numbers, one easily discerns a generally increasing trend from 14% to 17%. That is, January console unit sales about 15% of sales in December. (Remember that January 2007 was five weeks; this has been accounted for in the data presented.)

The exceptional ratio from December 2004 to January 2005 arises from strong sales of the PlayStation 2 and, to a lesser extent, the Xbox (for which Halo 2 had launched in November 2004).

And what of the 21% ratio for December 2007 to January 2008? Here are the specifics.

The PlayStation line of hardware had the highest ratios: PSP at 22%, PS2 at 24%, and the PS3 at 34%.

All other platforms were below it. The Wii and the Xbox 360 were at 20% and 18%, respectively.

Even though the Wii and Xbox 360 did not carry as large a fraction of their December sales into January, it is important to note that their ratios were both larger than the 17% average the previous year. The increasing trend across this graph could be a signal that the industry is supplying products on a timetable that smooths transition from the heights of the Holiday season to the slower months of the new year.

While it is true that a higher ratio is generally better, the PlayStation 3 potentially demonstrates a weakness of this kind of examination. If a system has a particularly weak December and a relatively strong January, then it will have a higher ratio. To interpret its ratio, one must first determine whether PlayStation 3 sales should be considered weak in December 2007.

Despite the shortages claimed by Nintendo and Microsoft, the PlayStation 3 sales would appear to be a true win for Sony. For the past year, the PlayStation 3 has been in a price class essentially all its own. Given that cost disparity which still exists between the Wii/Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3, it isn't unreasonable to assume that unmet demand of the former two platforms does not automatically translate into demand for the latter. That is, a family wanting a Wii at $250 because it is a Wii isn't suddenly going to change its mind and settle for a 40Gb PS3 at $400 with a pack-in copy of Spider-man 3. Perhaps on the Xbox 360 the situation is less clear, but the price and slate of software exclusives still present a nontrivial barrier to switching to the PlayStation 3.

So demand for the PlayStation 3 is quite possibly all demand for that system specifically, whether as a game system, a Blu-Ray player, or both. That reasoning leads one to conclude that January PlayStation 3 sales being a high 34% of December sales is a legitimate measure of improved demand for the system.
That's my reasoning at least. I think others in the official thread may have argued toward a similar conclusion (namely that the PS3 sales show robust support) but this is where I'm coming from when I claim it. I'm perfectly willing to admit that it's not perfect, but there you go.

On top 10 software:
Just on the Xbox 360, games like Call of Duty 4 and Burnout Paradise each retail for $60. The Rock Band bundle retails for $170. And depending on whether you're buying the guitar bundle or the standalone game, Guitar Hero III ranges from $100 down to $60. At a minimum, the Xbox 360 titles alone generated $70 million dollars in revenue during January 2008. The remaining software in the top 10, for the Wii, Nintendo DS, and PlayStation 3, generated over $63 million.

And good ol' Wii Play:
Wii Play has achieved a success that may well be unmatched in the annals of console software sales: It has appeared in the top 10 for 12 successive months. More impressively, it has been in the top 5 for 11 of those 12 months. Given that more than 50% of Wii owners buy Wii Play, it seems possible that Wii Play will continue to place in the top 10 each month until sales of the Wii itself begin to slow.
Serious question: has any game before now been in the top 10 for an entire year? If not, what was the previous record, and what game achieved it?

Final caveat -- over the weekend of writing I was crushed by some sort of flu-like pestilence that my children brought home from daycare, so I'm liable to take a "the virus made me do it" defense if you find an error. That said, please point out factual errors. As previous critics know, I'm not to proud to admit when I've made an error and make sure it gets corrected.

In case you'd like to review previous threads:
December and all of 2007
November 2007
October 2007

spwolf

hard to take site that analyzes Amazon sales data, seriously. Even if it work well with my own little schemes.

:D

jvm

Gamasutra.
mr_bishiuk said:
2008 dude
Woo. Last time I post at 5AM. :D Or maybe Tanod's PSN Content bug infected me too while I was filling in for him. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Maybe a mod will fix the title.

jvm

Gamasutra.
spwolf said:
hard to take site that analyzes Amazon sales data, seriously. Even if it work well with my own little schemes.
There are different writers doing different jobs, you know. ;^)

Innotech

Banned
SeeeeK said:
Is this like the quiet before the storm? Good Sony news, and no crazy outbreak?!?
its all been discussed before. Wii shortages, 360 shortages, stronger sales from in stock Ps3= noneventful NPD

Innotech said:
its all been discussed before. Wii shortages, 360 shortages, stronger sales from in stock Ps3= noneventful NPD
Except for... you know PS3 sales being about 100k units higher then most expected.

I didn't even expect the PS3 to exceed 150k units for it to have exceeded 250k units was unexpected.

We won't know until likely March what this means for the PS3, but for a start? This looks to be a better year then last for Sony.

Serious question: has any game before now been in the top 10 for an entire year? If not, what was the previous record, and what game achieved it?

I suppose MS could stop selling 360 controllers and start selling the "Blinx 3: wireless controler bundle" and Wii Play could get a little competition. Package Motorstorm 2 with the only way to get a new vibrating controller. Or they could just charge $10 extra for the game bundle.

D.Lo

article said:
At a minimum, the Xbox 360 titles alone generated $70 million dollars in revenue during January 2008. The remaining software in the top 10, for the Wii, Nintendo DS, and PlayStation 3, generated over $63 million.
Tsk tsk - extrapolating the top ten as if it is the whole market.

Even just taking the revenue released in MS PR ($159 million on 360 games, $131 million Wii, $80 million PS3) shows that 55% of MS's revenue was from the top ten, but only 30% of Nintendo's revenue and only around 10% of Sony's revenue came from games in the top ten. MS's revenue figures also show that it's extremely likely Wii software outsold 360 software total for the second month in a row, based on higher average 360 game prices (including $30k worth of $170 Rock Band alone). All with the Wii still having a 1.7 million smaller install base.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Tabris said:
I can't wait for February NPD. It's going to be awesome!

You're right, either way it's awesome. If PS3 doesn't outsell the 360, we'll get some really funny posts from people like you. If it does, we'll get some epically funny posts from people like you. Either way, we win.

D.Lo said:

Even just taking the revenue released in MS PR ($159 million on 360 games, $131 million Wii, $80 million PS3) shows that 55% of MS's revenue was from the top ten, but only 30% of Nintendo's revenue and only around 10% of Sony's revenue came from games in the top ten. MS's revenue figures also show that it's extremely likely Wii software outsold 360 software total for the second month in a row, based on higher average 360 game prices (including $30k worth of $170 Rock Band alone). All with the Wii still having a 1.7 million smaller install base.

wat

Ah Attach rate: the poor man's success barometer.

The PS3 BETTER have a higher attach rate or something is terribly wrong with it. High attach rate on the weakest selling console isn't something to celebrate.

IcebergSlim3000 said:
If Sony packaged a "game" with every ps2 controller sold wouldn't you being seeing the same results.

The Dual Shock 3 should come bundled with Super Rub-a-Dub, if only to make a farce out of Wii Play sales.

I've always loved your analysis each month. It's calm, rational, a bit bias but nothing to write home about, and some of the numbers included are always interesting to compare and reflect upon. Hopefully Feb's numbers will be interesting (either way they go).

(oh, and this is my first post.)

oneHeero

Tyrannical said:
I suppose MS could stop selling 360 controllers and start selling the "Blinx 3: wireless controler bundle" and Wii Play could get a little competition. Package Motorstorm 2 with the only way to get a new vibrating controller. Or they could just charge $10 extra for the game bundle.
This.

People really think Wii Play would sell this much if it wasnt bundled? Lol REALLY!?!?!

squatingyeti said:
You're right, either way it's awesome. If PS3 doesn't outsell the 360, we'll get some really funny posts from people like you. If it does, we'll get some epically funny posts from people like you. Either way, we win.

:lol Very true.

Dragon

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:

The PS3 BETTER have a higher attach rate or something is terribly wrong with it. High attach rate on the weakest selling console isn't something to celebrate.

Good PS3 News?!!

jvm

Gamasutra.
D.Lo said:

Wait...I made an extrapolation? Please tell me where.

All I said, and I thought the language was pretty clear, was that the top 10 from 2008 generated a ton of revenue compared to the top 10 in 2007. I didn't see a reference to the whole market until the last paragraph of that section.

jvm said:

GTA 3

Month (Sales Rank)
Oct 2001 - #2
Nov 2001 - #2
Dec 2001 - #1
Jan 2002 - #1
Feb 2002 - #1
Mar 2002 - #2
Apr 2002 - #2
May 2002 - #3
Jun 2002 - #2
Jul 2002 - #2
Aug 2002 - #5
Sep 2002 - #8
Oct 2002 - #20 (Vice City Hit)

after than it dropped quickly.

Wii Play will defeat it handlily, but release dates come into play here as Oct is the start of the holiday season with heavy hitter releases. Wii Play will continue on having only combatted 1 holiday season, whereas GTA 3 hit into a second.

Still, I agree that Wii Play will reach uncharted territory in terms of top 10 sales.

Christine

_leech_ said:
The Dual Shock 3 should come bundled with Super Rub-a-Dub, if only to make a farce out of Wii Play sales.

More like, Sony should bundle Super Rub-a-Dub with a Wii remote. Despite Wii Play's performance, bare Wii remotes were the best selling game controller accessory of 2007.

jvm

Gamasutra.
sonycowboy said:
Ah, thank you so much.

I wondered if a GTA might have done that, but I don't have software charts that far back. :^(

Wii Play will defeat it handlily, but release dates come into play here as Oct is the start of the holiday season with heavy hitter releases. Wii Play will continue on having only combatted 1 holiday season, whereas GTA 3 hit into a second.
Yep, I thought about that as I was writing. We're going into a season where 200,000 a month will keep you on the charts, and the 50% rule makes Wii Play practically a shoo-in.

Now, if it *doesn't* chart some month...that would be interesting.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
IcebergSlim3000 said:
If Sony packaged a "game" with every ps2 controller sold wouldn't you being seeing the same results.

do people actually think every wii controller sold comes with wii play?

dyls

oneHeero said:
This.

People really think Wii Play would sell this much if it wasnt bundled? Lol REALLY!?!?!

I'd be willing to bet that worldwide Wii Play has outsold the standalone 360 and PS3 pads combined. And that's to say nothing of the millions of standalone Wii-motes that have been sold.

And for all the people who actually believe that MS or Sony could bundle in a game (any game for that matter) with a controller and get the kind of sales Wii Play has gotten, have you ever asked yourself why they haven't? Certainly they've seen how well Wii Play has sold, so why haven't they made any sort of counterattack? We know both of these companies are more than willing to lose barrels of money, so that can't be it. Perhaps it's because unlike the deluded fanboys who populate GAF, they've realized that it's the entire package that sells Wii Play, not just the bundled remote.

Jokeropia

DeaconKnowledge said:

These are not attach rates (number of games sold per system), just ratios for the respective December to January drops for each system. PS3 had the worst attach rate after December and considering the hardware shortages for Wii and 360 in January I'd be very surprised if things were any different now.

Judging by the sales of Carnival Games, I suspect a $9.99 standalone Wii Play would sell very well anyway.

Also, just yesterday the Sony guys had no issues counting bundled Motorstorm sales, so can we at least try to hold some consistency for at least one week?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Tyrannical said:
You seem to be missing the point that you can buy a remote without Wiiplay. Both your examples rely on not having a choice but to buy the $10 more expensive package. Motorstorm 2 would be a full price game so add $60 to the cost of your controller Motorstorm 2 bundle and see how well it sells. Yes Wiiplay is selling because it is part of a bundle with a remote, but your hypotheticals are not analogous to the Wiiplay situation.

D.Lo

jvm said:
Wait...I made an extrapolation? Please tell me where.

All I said, and I thought the language was pretty clear, was that the top 10 from 2008 generated a ton of revenue compared to the top 10 in 2007. I didn't see a reference to the whole market until the last paragraph of that section.
There is absolutely no point talking about the revenue of an arbitrary cut-off like the top ten. The only thing a top ten figure shows is how concentrated the game buying market is, a point you were not making.

The market can go up but the top ten down and vice versa. It shown nothing about the industry except its homogeneity.

The figures we have (overall PS3/360/Wii game revenue $370m, top ten revenue PS3/360/Wii $125m) show that overall the top ten was 33% of the next-gen market, but this was heavily skewed by Microsoft, for whom it was 55% of the Xbox market. For the Wii it was 30%, and for the PS3 it was only 10%. Basically Xbox game purchases were heavily concentrated on a few titles, while Wii and especially PS3 purchases were at least partially* more evenly spread over a larger number of games.

*We don't really know this 100%, as most PS3 and Wii game could be in the 10-20 bracket, but given the relatively high revenue figures and low top ten % they are definitely at least somewhat more spread out then 360 game purchases are.

jvm

Gamasutra.
D.Lo said:
There is absolutely no point talking about the revenue of an arbitrary cut-off like the top ten. The only thing a top ten figure shows is how concentrated the game buying market is, a point you were not making.
I'll assume you either didn't read or didn't understand what I said. I made a comment about the total revenue generated by the top 10. It was a pair of facts.

I made no comment about how it compares to the rest of the market. If you want to read more into it, feel free, but that's you, not me.

D.Lo

jvm said:
I'll assume you either didn't read or didn't understand what I said. I made a comment about the total revenue generated by the top 10. It was a pair of facts.

I made no comment about how it compares to the rest of the market. If you want to read more into it, feel free, but that's you, not me.
I read what you said in the article, and my point is that top ten 'revenue analysis' is pointless. It SHOULD have been compared to the rest of the market.

You may not have made an explicit extrapolation, by why did you bother comparing the Xbox 360 top ten revenue to PS3, Wii and DS combined when it is a meaningless statistic in this context? The only meaning that can come from it was that Xbox 360 game purchases were concentrated on fewer titles.

Has Next Gen done that yearly wrap up they do where they have a mega 16 page report on the best selling games of the year. Its called the Games People Buy, I have not seen it for last year yet.

Thanks for that.

Analyzing the December-January transition in such length when two of the three current gen consoles face serious supply issues is kind of strange though. Esp. since the Wii was supply constrained in December as well (360 may have been too, at least some SKUs).

Despite the shortages claimed by Nintendo and Microsoft...
I think at this point the shortages are verified. For the Wii it's been that way the whole year anyways.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Judging by the sales of Carnival Games, I suspect a $9.99 standalone Wii Play would sell very well anyway.

Also, just yesterday the Sony guys had no issues counting bundled Motorstorm sales, so can we at least try to hold some consistency for at least one week?
But WiiPlay is a non-game durr-hurr. But yeah trolls are on a roll last few days.

_leech_ said:

Maybe they should bundle it with all the unsold copies of Ratchet or Lair instead.

poppabk said:
You seem to be missing the point that you can buy a remote without Wiiplay. Both your examples rely on not having a choice but to buy the $10 more expensive package. Motorstorm 2 would be a full price game so add $60 to the cost of your controller Motorstorm 2 bundle and see how well it sells. Yes Wiiplay is selling because it is part of a bundle with a remote, but your hypotheticals are not analogous to the Wiiplay situation.

Ever go to gamestop?
Would you like a copy of Wii sports with that? It comes with 10 extra games and an extra Wii mote that you'll need anyways for two players, and is only $10 more then just the Wii mote.

fernoca

Nice analysis...
Though (as always)..it seems as the thread title should be:
January 2008 Wii Play Sales Analysis
Since that what many seem to always focus.."Oh!..It's a controller" .."LOL, it's a $50 controller".. "LOLOLOLOL non gaming lololol"

Yeah, people just get whatever Gamestop clerks tell them to buy. That's why the Halo 3 guide sold five million copies last year, and disc cleaning supplies are out of stock nationwide.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Phife Dawg said:
Thanks for that.

Analyzing the December-January transition in such length when two of the three current gen consoles face serious supply issues is kind of strange though. Esp. since the Wii was supply constrained in December as well (360 may have been too, at least some SKUs).
Well, there were two parts of it. First, what have we seen historically. Second, what did we see this holiday. Trying to make sense of this holiday in the context of history is, I believe, a worthwhile exercise, provided one takes the shortages into account.

Thanks for the kind comments.

jvm

Gamasutra.
fernoca said:
Nice analysis...
Though (as always)..it seems as the thread title should be:
January 2008 Wii Play Sales Analysis
Since that what many seem to always focus.."Oh!..It's a controller" .."LOL, it's a $50 controller".. "LOLOLOLOL non gaming lololol"
And thanks to this suggestion, I now have my thread title for February... :D

donny2112

The exceptional ratio from December 2004 to January 2005 arises from strong sales of the PlayStation 2 and, to a lesser extent, the Xbox (for which Halo 2 had launched in November 2004).

The PS2 was having shortages at the end of 2004 as Sony was transitioning to the PS2 Slim. The higher than usual January 2005 PS2 number was due to that pent-up demand being drained off.

A good, effective writeup covering the bases from the main January NPD numbers. Why no further discussion of the software like Burnout, though?

Also if we get full $ figures next month for 360, PS3, and Wii software, doing an analysis like D.Lo mentioned of top 10 $ vs. full $ would be interesting, at least to me. :lol

jvm

Gamasutra.
donny2112 said:
A good, effective writeup covering the bases from the main January NPD numbers. Why no further discussion of the software like Burnout, though?
Thanks, donny. The short answer to your question is: we just found out that what we've all been suffering with in this household is the flu. So, you're kind of lucky you got what you got, it appears...

BigDug13

I think the PS3 will be an even bigger juggernaut now. HD-DVD being declared dead by Toshiba means the flood of people who have been "sitting on the fence" waiting for the format war to be over will jump in. The PS3 is still the best bluray player on the market which can and will handle the 2.0 spec when it comes out...plus it plays PS3 games and depending on the model, PS2 and 1 games as well.

Microsoft needs to think of something. The death of HD-DVD, the crowning of Bluray as the only HD media format, the better DVD upconversion of the PS3, and the fact that both systems can stream DIVX video means that Microsoft is a step behind in their quest to be the living room multimedia machine.

Wiiplay is such an awesome marketing idea. It can be looked as a controller with a game or a game with a controller. Im sure most casual see it as a game and most hardcore see it as a controller. Any way Nintendo wins.

People should looke up what sinergy means because Wiiplay has lots of it.

Top Bottom