• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Aims For Simultaneous Worldwide Releases

Luckyman

Banned
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/858/858038p1.html

Maybe Final Fantasy XIII isn't so far off after all
by John Tanaka

March 10, 2008 - Fans of Japanese RPGs like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest know the drill: get all hyped up for the Japanese release of the next installment in your favorite series, then watch the hype deflate as you wait additional six to twelve months for a localized version.

But the classic approach to localizing software may be on the way out. Square Enix president Yoichi Wada told Japan's Nihon Keizan Shimbun daily today that from here on out, the company will be "making simultaneous releases the norm."

Of course, the question is if this plan includes upcoming monster hits like Final Fantasy XIII and Dragon Quest IX. Both titles are still without a final release date, suggesting that if past schedules hold, we wouldn't have a chance of getting either until 2009 or beyond.

You can thank the strength of the gaming markets outside of Japan for this sudden shift in policy, which is actually just one area of overseas gaming that's drawing the attention of the suits at the Square Enix headquarters in Tokyo. In addition to simultaneous releases, the company is looking into the possibility of forming development studios outside of Japan and even selling overseas-developed games.

Skilletor

I want to believe...I really, really, really do. I mean, shit, even 3 months like Lost Odyssey would be better than the normal wait.

ksamedi

This is very positive news, if it means we will be playing the DQV remake and DQ main game at the same time of there respective releases in Japan.

Sandman7

The norm.

Which means for anything other than non-remade FFs and DQs they will just say 'The unprecedented demand for the game means we want to spend more time to make the quality of the translation and voice acting the best it can be.' And then the usual years wait.

TheExodu5

Banned
FINAL FANTASY XIII
FINAL FANTASY XIII
FINAL FANTASY XIII
FINAL FANTASY XIII
FINAL FANTASY XIII
FINAL FANTASY XIII
FINAL FANTASY XIII
FINAL FANTASY XIII
FINAL FANTASY XIII
FINAL FANTASY XIII

OMG! SIMULTANEOUS! DO IT!

batbeg

This is going to be like Last Remnant, isn't it?

"A Game for the World...

Simultaneous Worldwide Release!

(Except you, PAL land)"

EDIT:

By the way, seriously though...

FUCK YES SQUARE ENIX! They're already starting this with their portable titles (save Crisis Core :-\). World Ends With You, FFT: War of the Lions, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (I think?)...

lyre

This is merely a convenient excuse to delay FF13 until 20XX if they really need it.

Otherwise, FF13; 2k8; BELIEV!

batbeg

WAIT! This could suck. Whenever "International" releases come out (ie expanded ones), we won't get them because publishers never do that shit, but we wouldn't have got the extras to begin with because of a simultaneous release.

Or they could just stop that shit and go to DLC, or heaven forbid include everything in the game.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
batbeg said:
This is going to be like Last Remnant, isn't it?

"A Game for the World...

Simultaneous Worldwide Release!

(Except you, PAL land)"

btw. wasn`t that game supposed to hit the stores in 1Q of 08 ? :lol

SE seems to be really confused with their releases for the current gen....

Natsume

NA + JP = The world according to S-E

I'm calling it now, a year down the line when they are releasing games in NA + JP at the same time they'll deny PAL is in the world

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
monkeylite said:
I hope this explains the huge delay DQ IX is having.

no, the dq 4,5 and 6 are the explanation for that delay :)
also they reworked the battle-system....still dq9 christmas 08 worldwide would be fuckin sweet :D

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Great news, hopefully they will follow through on their promises. I'm sick of waiting 1+ years between releases, that is, if we even get the game at all.

Luckyman

Banned
What are SE biggest sellers outside of Japan?

Outside of Final Fantasy there dosen't seem to be much to gain from this for them.

Square-Enix finally gets it. Everyone should wait the same time so we all get the game at once - these types of games are dependent heavily on narrative, and having it out a year ahead of time in Japan is spoiler death to the rest of us.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Now if they can just follow this up by releasing their "International" versions with English dubs and/or subs, I can die happy.

Top Bottom