• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN says that Kid Icarus Wii could be released by the end of the year (in a podcast)

First on the 3/10 "Wiik in review"
from summary by Milabrega: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10147320&postcount=11
-Guesses?, Following franchises we may see by the end of the year? ~" AC yes, F zero No, Pilotwings not exactly, Pikmin yes, Kid Icarus Absolutely". "...and cue the phone call by Reggie", "Come on man, the rumors are already out there"

Then on the 3/17 "Nintendo Voice Chat: Episode 1"
from summary by Milabrega: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10263027&postcount=58
-The game could be Kid Icarus, they know it exists, but it could not be.
(in reference to the game Reggie recently said would be seen at E3)

So, they've alluded to its existence on multiple occassions now... and it seems that this isn't merely conjecture on their part. They sound pretty certain. So, if they're to be believed, maybe we'll be seeing it as soon as E3. What do you expect it to be?
Unless Nintendo plans to put this on Wiiware, it's extremely unlikely that it would be 2D, and after a 20 year lapse, I imagine a lot will change. Do you feel it should play similarly to the original, but in 3D? Personally, I'm hoping for a sort of blend of action, 3rd person arrowing, platforming, and adventure. It would be cool if there were some long vertically scrolling sections, but I'd prefer if they were added simply as little nods to the original games rather than being the central focus of the gameplay.

theBishop

Banned
Great. 20 years from now, everyone will remember Kiid Icarus as 100x better than it actually was.

Two words, Nintendo: STAR TROPICS

ethelred

The idea of this being a 3D Wii game us very disappointing. It should be a vertically scrolling platformer/adventure for the DS.

Branskins

I am just reallying dying for something different from Nintendo. Kid Icarus might be closest thing to getting that since it has not been around for so long!

I guess we will just have to wait and see.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
ethelred said:
The idea of this being a 3D Wii game us very disappointing. It should be a vertically scrolling platformer/adventure for the DS.

I'm ready for Kid Icarus Prime

Grecco

ethelred said:
'

So it can be as bad as the NES version?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
first shot of updated character model in game?

pit_070528b-l.jpg

Xav

Funny how people only care about a Kid Icarus game now because they only learnt of Pit via Super Smash Bros Brawl.
*Waiits for moron to claim it could be Nintendo's answer to God of War*

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Xav said:
Funny how people only care about a Kid Icarus game now because they only learnt of Pit via Super Smash Bros Brawl.

I think most people learned about Kid Icarus through Captain N or actually owned the original Nintendo game. People have been hyping a new Kid Icarus game since his trophy in Melee dude.

grandjedi6

Xav said:

People have been clammering for a Kid Icarus sequel long before Smash Bros Brawl, especially Matt Cassamina

Ariexv

Xav said:
Well gotta hand it to Nintendo Smash bros is a pretty awesome way to introduce people to new franchises.....espicially when the character is as awesome as Pit is.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
How many of you were even alive when the original Kid Icarus came out? They have a lot of work to do to update it to modern standards.

Can you imagine the complaints about the eggplant if it was a new game in this day and age?

Xav said:
Yea, Kid Icarus has been cared about for a while now, not just because of Brawl. In fact, I think it was all the questions and comments directed towards Nintendo the last 5 years (or more) that was the reason for Pit's inclusion in Brawl anyways.

Breaking: Nintendo is making a big first-party game, gamers complain

I wouldn't doubt that Nintendo is trying to make Kid Icarus the Wii equivalent of Metroid Prime, given that Corruption is the last one in the series.

Also, if Metroid is indeed any indication, I do doubt that the next Kid Icarus will be anything like the NES game.

ethelred said:

Looks like Miyamoto is determined to piss on the grave of Yokoi and continue to mock the enslaved remnant of R&D1.

giggas

shantyman said:
How many of you were even alive when the original Kid Icarus came out? They have a lot of work to do to update it to modern standards.

Can you imagine the complaints about the eggplant if it was a new game in this day and age?

I for one was, and if this is true I'd be thrilled. I'm a huge Kid Icarus fan (though the Gameboy version is border line trash) and I've been waiting for a follow up for ages now. However I'm a realist in that I understand that outside of me, and a few other KI fans, no one gives a crap or even knows what this franchise is. In fact, it's not even a franchise, it's just one really well remembered game.

If this does really happen, it'll be sure to get the Prime treatment in the design area as far as updating it. Hopefully, it'll also get the Prime treatment in the awesome area.

what exactly would be wrong with anticipating a sequel to Kid Icarus after playing Brawl? I haven't played the original game beyond the first level, but since seeing Pit's awesome character model and moveset in Brawl, and knowing how well aiming worked in Twilight Princess, I've been thinking about how a sequel might work. I don't see what's wrong with that. Shit, there are probably people who hadn't played videogames a single day in their life that buy Wiis and play Super Mario Galaxy.

bridegur

I'm trying not to get my hopes up for something of Mario/Zelda/Metroid scale, but it's really hard to do.

Any idea of who the team behind it is?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Man as long as he doesn't have that HIYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYYAYAYAYYAYA bs from Brawl, I'm game. Hopefully it plays as nice as his sections in the SSE.

NeonZ

I think IGN's sources close to Nintendo have been fairly weak lately.

Weren't they talking about more 3rd party characters and alternate costumes for Brawl before the game was released? They even said that were certain about the "other 3rd party characters" part. I wouldn't believe these rumors without proof.

madara

Right because anything remotely side scrolling or 2D is mandated to DS or PSP technology.
No wonder folks say that genre cant offer anything exciting they are not even allowed on consoles.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
NeonZ said:
I think IGN's sources close to Nintendo have been fairly weak lately.

Weren't they talking about more 3rd party characters and alternate costumes for Brawl before the game was released? They even said that were certain about the "other 3rd party characters" part. I wouldn't believe these rumors without proof.

No, they were guessing on the Brawl stuff.

Cassassassasssassimina does have some connections and called a couple games on the podcast last year (Tos spin off and the SC: Legends fiasco).

ethelred said:

You're never happy, you know? If you want a 2D old-school game, you can always play the original :)

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
madara said:
Right because anything remotely side scrolling or 2D is mandated to DS or PSP technology.
No wonder folks say that genre cant offer anything exciting they are not even allowed on consoles.

I wish Nintendo would occasionaly make Super Nintendo games for all those people that aren't ready to make the jump to more current generations.

grandjedi6

Dragona Akehi said:
Looks like Miyamoto is determined to piss on the grave of Yokoi and continue to mock the enslaved remnant of R&D1.

Metroid Prime > 2D Metroid

::bails out::

wat
I just said that it's extremely unlikely. At least it seems that way to me.

brandonh83 said:
If you're involved in the creation of this game

and you're posting on GAF

and you see this

MAKE THIS SHIT EPIC.

Co-signed

If they're going to go back and reimagine an old franchise, I think this is one of the most promising ones to pick. Its full of potential. 2d kid icarus fans will no doubt come out of the woodwork appauled at any/many of the changes made, but just do it Nintendo. Make this shit epic. Another feather in the cap.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Oh my God. Now I'm really worried. Retro would be the ideal choice.

At least if Factor 5 is doing it, no one will have illusions that the game will be true to its roots, let alone be good..

Why do people want a new Kid Icarus so much? The original was a decent but frustrating platformer that didn't really tread any new ground that had been done in Nintendo's other franchises, and not to be down on Nintendo or anything, but I feel like a New Kid Icarus game would simply be a mix of Metroid/3d Zeldas with the mythologic twist.

For all the old franchises that Nintendo has sitting around, I think Mach Rider has the best potential for an update. I mean, basically you just had a premise of a post-apocalytpic world, dude with a bike with guns. Hell a mix of GTA sandbox, plus Twisted Metal-esque combat and racing, plus a company like Retro working on it would DEFINITELY something that would fill a niche from the Wii lineup.

Not to say that other old franchises like Wild Gunman, Hogan's Alley, Punchout or Gumshoe completely reinvented might not be bad idease either.

Otacon

Who cares about Kid Icarus?! ;)

Seriously...I don't care about Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, StarFox, F-Zero, Animal Crossing etc...all I want from Nintendo is PIKMIN 3.
PLEASE!
One of the few games that could benefit from the Wii Controllers.

And before you start bashing ;)...of course I like the above mentioned franchises. But I LOVE Pikmin and I would be highly disappointed if it is not one of the "many games" unveiled at E³ this summer.
And the quote in the OP is the first time I've read anything about Pikmin Wii. But Olimar's appearance in SSBB already gave me hope. :D

Dragona Akehi said:
At least if Factor 5 is doing it, no one will have illusions that the game will be true to its roots, let alone be a good game.

Who knows? Under the direction of Nintendo, it could become a nice surprise (if this rumour is true of course).
At least it wont be crap graphically.

Top Bottom