• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ian McDiarmid (Emperor Palpatine) Is In Indiana Jones 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebs

The official Indiana Jones site accidently put up its full cast page and quickly took it back down. But before they did a piece of secret casting that they have kept from annoucing got leaked.

Lucas regular, Ian McDiarmid will be in the movie starring as a character named Professor Levi. And it seems to be more than a quick cameo based on the sizable write up the character got on the leaked page that got taken down:
Indy-McDiarmid-WebPage.jpg

Cheebs

Want another secret? INDIANA JONES WILL BE FREAKED OUT BY A SNAKE.

Jesus, this is a simple Indiana Jones adventure flick that will have a thinly-veiled plot at best, an actor being cast in the movie isn't some spoiler. :lol

NotWii

Banned
Cheebs said:
Want another secret? INDIANA JONES WILL BE FREAKED OUT BY A SNAKE.

Jesus, this is a simple Indiana Jones adventure flick that will have a thinly-veiled plot at best, an actor being cast in the movie isn't some spoiler. :lol
You already ruined the surprise :(

STOP IT!

Sapiens

Was that the dude that was in all the worst Star Wars movies?

Looks like this movie is following a pattern.

Who wants to bet that Shia TheBeef is essentially a JarJarian-type character?

Did anyone say Pod Race?

Latin chanting?

Shia lollypops and Indiana Jones soaps at the stores?

Cheebs

Sapiens said:
Was that the dude that was in all the worst Star Wars movies?

Looks like this movie is following a pattern.

Who wants to bet that Shia TheBeef is essentially a JarJarian-type character?

Did anyone say Pod Race?

Latin chanting?

Shia lollypops and Indiana Jones soaps at the stores?
You are trashing McDiarmid cause he was in the prequels? McDiarmid was one of the only actors who didn't seem wooden in the prequels, he is a fantastic actor.

Sapiens

Cheebs said:
You are trashing McDiarmid cause he was in the prequels? McDiarmid was one of the only actors who didn't seem wooden in the prequels, he is a fantastic actor.

Hey, Spaz! Re-fucking-lax!

Wes

venison crêpe
On the actor spoiler debate... why are certain actors names covered in spoiler tags in the Lost thread each week then if the name of an actor attached to a show/movie isn't considered spoil-worthy?

Personally I would rather have it in spoiler tags (so a different thread title here) and let it be up to me to decide whether to read it or not. I mean that's what that bit of code is on this forum for, right?

Cheebs

Wes said:
On the actor spoiler debate... why are certain actors names covered in spoiler tags in the Lost thread each week then if the name of an actor attached to a show/movie isn't considered spoil-worthy?

Personally I would rather have it in spoiler tags (so a different thread title here) and let it be up to me to decide whether to read it or not. I mean that's what that bit of code is on this forum for, right?
I dont know why people want to think of this as some massive spoiler. It's not like it's going to be OMG SURPRISE ITS THE EMPEROR FROM STAR WARS. I doubt he is going to be some massive story-changing character. We know nothing about his character. If I spoiled what his character actually does, that'd be a spoiler.

This is just as much a spoiler as John Hurt being in it is. It's silly.

Tobor

There are clear instances when an actor could be considered a spoiler:

Christopher Walken in Sleepy Hollow

The actor who plays Rorshach in the upcoming Watchmen.

These are just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are many more. Basically any time knowing an actor is playing a role gives away a plot point or device.

Ian McDiarmid in Indy 4 does not fit the bill.

Cheebs

Tobor said:
Basically any time knowing an actor is playing a role gives away a plot point or device.

Ian McDiarmid in Indy 4 does not fit the bill.
Exactly. No one knows what his role will be other than the characters name.

Wes said:

In Lost, certain actors names denote that their character is returning. That is why they are spoiler tagged. So the impact of their return is not ruined.

Casting announcements are generally not considered spoilers though. How does this actor being in the movie impact the plot or storyline? It doesn't. The character could have been played by a number of different actors.

I don't see how either of these would be spoilers. Albeit, it has been a long time since I read the Watchmen but why does it matter who is playing him?

As for your first example, why does it matter who is playing the character? The spoiler is the character?

Wes

venison crêpe
Fair point. I suppose it was a knee-jerk reaction of mine in that I hadn't heard of him being in the film thus far and assumed the worst.

i guess this is one of the "cameos" that was hinted at. i thought by "cameos" they meant past indy characters.

i'm still hoping for a sean connery appearance. shame there won't be; they're lucky to be doing a new indy movie whilst he's still alive.

Tobor

DoctorWho said:
In Lost, certain actors names denote that their character is returning. That is why they are spoiler tagged. So the impact of their return is not ruined.

Casting announcements are generally not considered spoilers though. How does this actor being in the movie impact the plot or storyline? It doesn't. The character could have been played by a number of different actors.

I don't see how either of these would be spoilers. Albeit, it has been a long time since I read the Watchmen but why does it matter who is playing him?

As for your first example, why does it matter who is playing the character? The spoiler is the character?

You finally realize at the end that Rorshach was actually the crazy bum with the "The world is ending" sign. It's meant to be a surprise, but if a known actor is playing him and you know this ahead of time, it won't be.
This is a clear case when knowing the casting could give away a plot twist.

It was a shock to see Christopher Walken's head appear on the Horseman. Had I known he was in it and would play the horseman, It wouldn't have been a shock.

This isn't complicated. Casting can effect plot, and when it does, it should remain a secret.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Back to the topic at hand... Ian McDiarmid's inclusion in a movie is always a good thing.

laserbeam

Banned
Background on the character in NON Spoiler form:

Meanwhile the site also lists "Star Wars" actor Ian McDiarmid as playing the role of Professor Levi in the new film. This is surprising as McDiarmid played the role of Professor Levi, a friend of Indy's father living in Paris, in a 1993 episode of "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles"

Cheebs

laserbeam said:
Background on the character in NON Spoiler form:

Meanwhile the site also lists "Star Wars" actor Ian McDiarmid as playing the role of Professor Levi in the new film. This is surprising as McDiarmid played the role of Professor Levi, a friend of Indy's father living in Paris, in a 1993 episode of "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles"
Interesting. Perhaps McDiarmid is filling the spot that was meant to be filled by Connery's indy sr. character?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom