• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TiQal is the XBLA game of the week (Plus Sweitchball update)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Monday, March 24, 2008 9:00 AM by Gamerscore News
Slapdash Games Launches TiQal on Xbox LIVE Arcade this Wednesday – Plus, Sierra Online Releases Free Gameplay Update for Switchball

“TiQal,” a new challenge sure to delight fans of the puzzle game genre, is launching on Xbox LIVE Arcade this Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 9:00 a.m. GMT (1:00 a.m. PDT).

With graphics inspired by the ancient Mayan culture, “TiQal” takes players on an epic journey to save the village of the same name. Players must demolish enemy block walls by matching squares of the same color and building them up to unleash massive combo points and mind-blowing power-ups.

“TiQal” features 120 levels of easy to learn, yet difficult to master gameplay and 14 formidable power-ups, as well as multiplayer support for up to two players. Partner with a friend in the same room or via Xbox LIVE in co-op mode to rescue the village. Players will also enjoy sumptuous graphics and sound effects, as well as an impressive musical score.

Developed by Slapdash Games, “TiQal” will be available worldwide for 800 Microsoft Points and is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB. For more details on “TiQal” please visit:

* http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/t/tiqalxboxlivearcade/

Additionally, “Switchball,” TeamXbox.com’s downloadable game of the year for 2007, will be re-released on Xbox LIVE Arcade this Wednesday with a free update that delivers enhanced graphics for a smoother gameplay experience and the possibility of even higher scores! For more details on “Switchball,” please visit:

· http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/s/switchballxboxlivearcade/

Shard said:
Additionally, “Switchball,” TeamXbox.com’s downloadable game of the year for 2007, will be re-released on Xbox LIVE Arcade this Wednesday with a free update that delivers enhanced graphics for a smoother gameplay experience and the possibility of even higher scores! For more details on “Switchball,” please visit:

· http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/s/switchballxboxlivearcade/
No screen tearing? I'll have to check this out again.

So basically a Tetris ripoff and an update to a game I don't have.

Zzzzzzzz wake me up when Ikaruga comes out zzzzzzzz.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
I thought the Switchball patch was already out?

It is but I think what they are saying is that the patch will be integrated into the game come Wednesday.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
No impressions or videos currently exist for TiQal, this game was revealed literally last week.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
People should give Switchball a try if they haven't already. Constant screen tearing was a pretty significant flaw of the game, which has now been done away with. The first 3 worlds and the first half of 4 are really fun to play through, but later stages get a bit frustrating because of the wonky camera. Co-op stages rule.
World 3 was my favorite because of the introduction of the Powerball and its discoball lighting effects in the dark:

1194037272.jpg

aku:jiki

Shard said:
No impressions or videos currently exist for TiQal, this game was revealed literally last week.
Didn't I post mine?

Here:

Dull game. Skip unless you're absolutely crazy for puzzlers. Actually, you should still be playing Astropop, Lumines or Zuma if you're a puzzle nut.

soldat7

How long is Switchball and what's the replay value? I almost bought it but thought I'd ask these two very strategic questions first...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
soldat7 said:
How long is Switchball and what's the replay value? I almost bought it but thought I'd ask these two very strategic questions first...

Let me see, Switchball should take a decent amount of time to complete, especially with the later levels being as difficult as they are. Decent amount of replay value what with achievements, par time trials and medals to collect, it also has a multiplayer mode but as far as I know it is pretty hard to get a game going.

I am sure we are going to see a thread in the future about the TiQal devs getting sued for stealing the sound effects and the over all look of Zuma. I know both have different gameplay but EVERYTHING about them looks and sounds the same

haowan

Keyser Soze said:
I am sure we are going to see a thread in the future about the TiQal devs getting sued for stealing the sound effects and the over all look of Zuma. I know both have different gameplay but EVERYTHING about them looks and sounds the same

I don't agree at all. The music is completely different for a start, and the Mayan theme is understated compared to Zuma. I really can't see very much in common with the two titles apart from the overall visual theme of Mayan culture. There isn't even any chanting in TiQal.

VALIS

Hey, this ain't bad. It's like a high speed Tetris with power ups. A lot of power ups. I wouldn't call it boring. Boogie Bunnies, now that's boring. This ain't no Boogie Bunnies.

I'm playing the TiQal demo, and even though it "looks" like Tetris, it certainly doesn't control like Tetris, and I'm getting so thrown off LOL! I keep thinking I can slide a piece left or right while it is dropping, but it doesn't work like that, and I get all these holes everywhere! I also keep pressing A to rotate pieces like I do in Lumines, and A is the drop button! There's no way to change the controls either. Like, I can't press up or down to drop pieces like in every other puzzle game.

And, I can't believe it's a Mayan theme. LOLZ!

Anyway, it doesn't seem bad. The background graphics are really nice, and the music is fitting. You only get one level in the demo, so I can't really get a good feeling for it, since the demo is over just minutes after starting. I don't know. I might have to pass at this point.

Keyser Soze said:
Irony overload.

joaomgcd

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
I'm playing the TiQal demo, and even though it "looks" like Tetris, it certainly doesn't control like Tetris, and I'm getting so thrown off LOL! I keep thinking I can slide a piece left or right while it is dropping, but it doesn't work like that, and I get all these holes everywhere! I also keep pressing A to rotate pieces like I do in Lumines, and A is the drop button! There's no way to change the controls either. Like, I can't press up or down to drop pieces like in every other puzzle game.

And, I can't believe it's a Mayan theme. LOLZ!

Anyway, it doesn't seem bad. The background graphics are really nice, and the music is fitting. You only get one level in the demo, so I can't really get a good feeling for it, since the demo is over just minutes after starting. I don't know. I might have to pass at this point.

You have to press B at the end of the level to continue playing the demo. It's actually quite a long demo. like 6 levels or so.

Okay, after playing all 6 levels, I've totally changed my mind! JAGUAR STRIKE! The game is fun. I love how you keep adding pieces onto your chain before they explode... very cool gameplay mechanic. And you get used to the controls quick enough. I'm so glad there was more than one level in the demo, because it really does take all 6 to get a good taste. What a surprise, I'm TiQaled pink!

Bought.

k96npe.jpg

soldat7 said:
Switchball kept me busy for approximately 10 hours and there's a decent amount of replay value in the game if you want to collect the highest medal on each level.

Gowans

Ok just got back from a flight and tried out TiQal

not digging it, its a tetris rip (with a zuma style) but with limitations to make it different and it feels, clunky stiff and unnatural because of this.

Bad move to copy a perfect game and make changes to it.

No6

Wizpig said:
Is Switchball still 800 points? :(
It's worth it. The demo fools you into thinking levels top out around 3-4 minutes, but the later levels have par times (which are harder than hell to meet) of 11 minutes+. It's surprisingly meaty.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
IGN XBOX 360 Reviews TiQal

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/862/862114p1.html

7.0 Presentation
The Mayan theme does its job. The story is easily ignored, but does it really matter in a puzzle game?

6.0 Graphics
Simple in every way, but it gets the job done.

5.0 Sound
About the quality and diversity of your average casual PC game.

6.5 Gameplay
Falling blocks are always easy to get into and enjoy, but this one is fairly derivative.

6.0 Lasting Appeal
TiQal can keep you engaged for a while, but there are better alternatives you’ll gravitate back to.
Passable OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Eurogamer reviews TiQal

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=128476

I really wish that TiQal had been released twenty years ago. For one thing, it would mean that all subsequent block-dropping, colour-matching puzzle games would have to be described as "TiQalish", but mostly because at least then there would be something interesting or original to say about this utterly generic effort.

TiQal is the debut offering from the unfortunately named Slapdash Games, a company set up by former employees of MumboJumbo, the home of casual smash hit Luxor. Of course, Luxor bore more than a passing similarity to PopCap's Zuma, and it's clear from this effort that we're not going to be dazzled with originality any time soon. TiQal is about as predictable as casual games get, a Frankenstein gameplay carcass stitched together from elements openly swiped from previous titles.

You move a "dropper" across the top of the screen, and deposit shapes onto the ascending wall below. Right away, and rather blatantly, the game invites comparisons to Tetris, even using many of the same block shapes. However, rather than trying to create complete horizontal lines, your aim here is to form square or oblong blocks of the same colour. These then shimmer, and you have a few seconds to add more to the block for a larger score before it shatters. The aim isn't to clear the screen but to fill the score-meter at the bottom, as in...well, as in Luxor. That's variety, I guess.
The problem isn't that TiQal is a casual game, but that it's a lazy casual game. A game so mired in existing formula that it has nothing to offer beyond bland distraction. It's almost as if the folk at Slapdash were afraid to attempt anything that players might not recognise from previous games - not the best way to distinguish your new venture from the old.

For some, of course, this will be enough. Maybe you've just given up smoking, for instance, and just need something to do with your craving fingers. It's phenomenally easy to grasp - you can figure out how to play just from the screenshots - and the flatlined learning curve over 120 levels means that few players will get lost along the way. For those who still value their cognitive functions, however, TiQal has little to offer. It makes all the right noises to fit into its niche, but does so in such a flavourless and anonymous manner that there's no compelling reason to spend another 800 Points, especially when so many similar yet superior titles are already available on Live Arcade.

5/10

Top Bottom