• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 8 REVEALED IN ALL ITS GLOR...wait, what is this?

MisterHero

Teknoman said:
Pfft Kryptonite brass knuckles with kryptonite laced body armor = owned
Superman has the ultimate long-distance play.

Flying + Heat vision = no chance for Batman

Superspeed + Grab = Thrown into sun

light punch = Fatality

Does this mean that Superman, Thor and the rest of the god-like DC characters will be weakened so as to not utterly destroy the MK cast? That always bugs me with these types of crossover games, though it seems to come across a bit more ridiculously when the games looks more realistic as opposed to the goofier cartoon-like look of your classic Capcom crossover.

lupinko

MisterHero said:
Superman has the ultimate long-distance play.

Flying + Heat vision = no chance for Batman

Superspeed + Grab = Thrown into sun

light punch = Fatality

Prep-time > all of those.

Batman wins.

Going to hold judgement until I see some gampeplay. The teen rating rumor has me the most worried. It wont be MK without fatalities.

MisterHero

MightyHedgehog said:
Does this mean that Superman, Thor and the rest of the god-like DC characters will be weakened so as to not utterly destroy the MK cast? That always bugs me with these types of crossover games, though it seems to come across a bit more ridiculously when the games looks more realistic as opposed to the goofier cartoon-like look of your classic Capcom crossover.
Superman is weak to magic. Batman knows magic. Wonder Woman has magic-enhanced breasts weapons.

Everyone else who uses magic are just weirdos.

Holy low res promotional textures batman!

Interested to see if that is real promotional material.

Brings to mind when Bill Roper was talking about working on a DC fighter back it the day, he said they had huge issues with DC since for starters they said superman wasn't allowed to kick ha.
Maybe DC have changed...

Sean

Banned
This is weird... they are going for a teen rating and superheroes instead of an M rating and fatalities?

That said, I'm kind of interested in this game now. So I guess Midways plan worked.

Teknoman

What I want to know is were the "this looks terrible" and "what a stupid idea" posts are koming from.

How many people komplained about Xmen vs Street Fighter or Marvel vs Capcom? No one, thats who. We havent even seen any in game footage yet, and a fighting game being made using the kurrent Unreal Engine 3 is an intresting koncept. Seriously at least wait till some actual gameplay video releases.

raYne

MightyHedgehog said:
That's a pretty weird question.

It's a game. Why would you not balance it and have characters that can "utterly destroy" others in one attack? In that case, everyone would only use the top guy.

jet1911

Unison said:
I hope I can do a fatality on Heath Ledger Joker!

Oh... wow.

2224498185_0b4a97286d_o.gif

Teen rating??? If that is the case, I am not sure about how popular it is going to be unless it has some PHENOMENAL gameplay. The violence, blood and fatalities is what put Mortal Kombat on the map in the first place and distinguished it from all of the 2D other fighters.

fernoca

It will also depend on the story-arc they follow..
If they follow Taven's ending from Armageddon, it means (as someone already pointed) that the characters that didn't died in the Armageddon became demi-gods when Blaze was defeated and it's essence was released.

Or maybe it just an alternate universe..I mean, it doesn't have to make sense..is just a videogame.. :p

Nicktals

Banned
Router said:
Oh shut the fuck up. I already said I would happily admit I was wrong if it was true. Yes. "OWNED TO THE MAXX"

Uhh, then don't be an ass and laugh at people. If you had said "I don't think this will happen.", and he said "OWNED", then he would be the ass. But you were bein an ass first, and had it comin. So eat your crow in peace and hold the whine made out of sour grapes.

Sean said:
This is weird... they are going for a teen rating and superheroes instead of an M rating and fatalities?

That said, I'm kind of interested in this game now. So I guess Midways plan worked.

I do not get the teen rating thinking.
If they wanted to make a DC fighting game or even a cross over game they could have done some kind of new title, a battle arena type thing instead of doing it under the Mortal Kombat flag.
Mortal Kombat without violence that pushes the envelope is not Mortal Kombat.

gimmmick

This game is guaranteed to sell over 2 million... even if it is the most piece of shit fighting game of the year.

Caj814

Rhazer Fusion said:
Teen rating??? If that is the case, I am not sure about how popular it is going to be unless it has some PHENOMENAL gameplay. The violence, blood and fatalities is what put Mortal Kombat on the map in the first place and distinguished it from all of the 2D other fighters.

Yup and if it wasn't for the blood,guts and fatalities do you really think MK would have been as successful as it was?:lol

RiZ III

You know.. the disney and square combo was also pretty out of the blue and remembering back I thought Marvel vs Capcom was also totally bizarre. Being a huge marvel fanboy back then I was like.. pff wolverine can kill all of capcom single handedly :lol

Teknoman

The guys at MKonline forums arent taking it well..

"It's over. The MK franchise finally ended up with the gutter trash like DOA,Tekken and the last Soul Calibur games. "

Heh...the comment section of game specific forums are always fun to read.

RiZ III said:
You know.. the disney and square combo was also pretty out of the blue and remembering back I thought Marvel vs Capcom was also totally bizarre. Being a huge marvel fanboy back then I was like.. pff wolverine can kill all of capcom single handedly :lol

I was in disbelief back then when X-men vs Street Fighter released. My friend came running back from the local arcade to tell me about it and I thought he was lying...we all see how that turned out.

At a time when Darth Vader and Yoda somehow heard about the Soul Edge sword half-way across the galaxy, Sonic and Snake have to help Nintendo characters defeat a great evil, and Parasite Eve III was made for cell phones, anything can happen.

ezekial45

Banned
Teknoman said:

"It's over. The MK franchise finally ended up with the gutter trash like DOA,Tekken and the last Soul Calibur games. "

:lol :lol :lol :lol

raYne

gimmmick said:
This game is guaranteed to sell over 2 million... even if it is the most piece of shit fighting game of the year.
I agree with that. All the recent MK games were complete garbage. Yet they ended up selling well.

Throw in the DC Universe and you'll have comicbook fans and people who wouldn't be interested otherwise, picking it up just to see what the hell this is.

omg rite said:
Batman's fatality will be asking Scorpion if he's "retarded or something", then Scorpion will cry and run away.
:lol

Teknoman said:

:lol!

Guy Legend

Teknoman said:

:lol

Anyways, Day one of MK vs DC. :D

fernoca

Teknoman said:

Same at the official forums.. ;)

EVERY game revelation is like that....(Mortal Kombat or not)
Then you see the "late to the party" threads... and how everyone was a fan since day one.. :p

Pewp

Mortal Kombat was never really that good of a fighting game (especially the recent ones), I mostly played them for the over the top fatalities and what not. Without that what are they? A medicore fighting game?

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Nicktals said:
Uhh, then don't be an ass and laugh at people. If you had said "I don't think this will happen.", and he said "OWNED", then he would be the ass. But you were bein an ass first, and had it comin. So eat your crow in peace and hold the whine made out of sour grapes.

I was laughing at the idea that the "Reasoning" behind the rumors being true were more logical than it actually being true.

This is gaf though. Make fun of something and its a personal attack.

MisterHero

Pewp said:
Mortal Kombat was never really that good of a fighting game (especially the recent ones), I mostly played them for the over the top fatalities and what not. Without that what are they? A medicore fighting game?
Deception was alright.

Teknoman

What gets me is how someone was under the impression that Mortal Kombat was better than any Tekken game at any point in time. I mean I like the 2d Mortal Kombat games...but damn.

Jonnyram said:
Delusions of grandeur?

I'd say so.

Teknoman said:

hello! it's been over for almost 12 years!

and this one is rated teen? how can it get worse? well if they announce fatality's are out. which is possible considering this series.

raYne said:
That's a pretty weird question.

It's a game. Why would you not balance it and have characters that can "utterly destroy" others in one attack? In that case, everyone would only use the top guy.
Well, it was really rhetorical. I would like to see almost totally reimagined MK characters that could work well with the existing canon that the DC characters are well known for. That would mean that the MK ones would have to be buffed up considerably. And if the new fighting design could encompass many city blocks worth of space for the arenas, it could make things interesting if all of the talk about more free-form 3D battles is true and allows for gameplay similar to Powerstone, Destrega, King of the Monsters, War of the Monsters, etc. I guess it could be that the game's premise finds the DC characters weakened after they are magically transported to Outworld. Not a hardcore MK fan, but I was just thinking aloud about which way the balance will move...more toward the comics universe or toward the MK universe. With the added expense that the license presents and that you'd only bother with it because you want to attract DC fans to an MK game, I would move toward the DC universe-side of things.

I keep looking for the Christian Bale gif where he is doing like an interview and talking about kicking Superman's ass but I can't find it.
It somehow would be perfect here though :lol

Yoboman

MightyHedgehog said:
Isn't Thor a marvel character? And Raiden is supposed to be the God of thunder? Many of the Mortal Kombat characters are sorcerers/necromancers, demons and Elder Gods too. I don't think it's that hard to believe they could hold their own

MightyHedgehog said:
Well, it was really rhetorical. I would like to see almost totally reimagined MK characters that could work well with the existing canon that the DC characters are well known for. That would mean that the MK ones would have to be buffed up considerably. And if the new fighting design could encompass many city blocks worth of space for the arenas, it could make things interesting if all of the talk about more free-form 3D battles is true and allows for gameplay similar to Powerstone, Destrega, King of the Monsters, War of the Monsters, etc. I guess it could be that the game's premise finds the DC characters weakened after they are magically transported to Outworld. Not a hardcore MK fan, but I was just thinking aloud about which way the balance will move...more toward the comics universe or toward the MK universe. With the added expense that the license presents and that you'd only bother with it because you want to attract DC fans to an MK game, I would move toward the DC universe-side of things.

i say buff up the mk characters and have "The Matrix"-like fights.

Oddly enough I think this may be a step UP for DC gaming considering what we've gotten before. Justice League Heroes was a promising venture, but it appears they aren't going anywhere with that franchise.

It will be interesting to see how they will handle the fighting styles. The last set of MK games used grounded martial arts styles as their bases with chain combos, but I don't really see that working for anyone but Batman.

Top Bottom