• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite videogame memes?

So, title pretty much sums it up. For those wondering what the hell a "meme" is, its another way of saying "fad". Some examples would be the recent "Add mustache and eyepatch to your avatar". That's a MGS4 meme. A few years ago, that whole "All your base are belong to us" was a Zero Wing meme. You get the idea.

Another good one was when everyone was bagging on the PS3's launch price announcement. It spawned a bunch of stuff like this:
http://ps3ate3.ytmnd.com/
which just so happens to be my personal fave.

11j9kpg.gif

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
TheExodu5 said:
I'm bilingual, and I was wondering if "meme" is supposed to originate from "même" in French, meaning "same".

It was coined by evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins where he wanted a word similar to "gene" that showed how cultural trends and phenomenons had similar evolutionary principles and Darwinian properties (and a viral nature). Dawkins also said it came from Greek mimos which means mimic.

Yaweee

dawkins.jpg

Hello. I invented the phrase a few decades ago. It means 'language as a virus' or some shit like that to describe the retransmission and spread of simple bits of language.

EDIT: Damnit, McBacon.

TheExodu5

Banned
McBacon said:
It was coined by evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins where he wanted a word similar to "gene" that showed how cultural trends and phenomenons had similar evolutionary principles and Darwinian properties (and a viral nature). Dawkins also said it came from Greek mimos which means mimic.

So that means it's pronounced "meem". I was pronouncing it "mayme".

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The-Switcher said:
Soooo good :lol

Edit: Holy shit, I entered the other thread and found this:

2gubmte.jpg

:lol

Yoboman

Only 63 days until Solid Snake wipes your memes from the face of the Earth

bscap0000633.jpg

Where is your God now, GAF?

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
TheExodu5 said:
So that means it's pronounced "meem". I was pronouncing it "mayme".

Heh, we had a similar discussion in the OT a couple months ago. Just think of words with similar structure like gene, extreme, blaspheme. :)

TheExodu5

Banned
McBacon said:
Heh, we had a similar discussion in the OT a couple months ago. Just think of words with similar structure like gene, extreme, blaspheme. :)

Damn...it sounds so unnatural saying it that way.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Definitely the whole E3 2006 Sony press conference... "Giant Enemy Crab!" "Massive damage!" "Five-Hundred-and-Ninety-Nine US dollars!"

Chao

Not so a videogame meme, but a pretty popular meme on this board:

bishopsamuelljacksonscaryface.jpg (I can't find the picture atm)

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
unreon said:
I never got this one...can someone explain the history?

I liked Mario-itising avatars a few months back.
I don't know the history of it, but I find it amazing that he apparently can't close just one eye at a time.

I would prefer this forum if all memes were banned. The animated gifs are different. Occasionally some amuse me, such as the winking gif someone posted above.

Personally I can't fathom the mindset of someone who goes into a thread, writes 'wat' and that's it. What's the motivation? and what is so hilarious about 'am cry' ? I picture some of you talking like this in real life, that's the scary thing.

Nemesis_

I'm more interested in asking what's with the James Franco Spiderman 3 GIFs. I see them everywhere! >_>

Haunted

GauntletFan said:
I would prefer this forum if all memes were banned. The animated gifs are different. Occasionally some amuse me, such as the winking gif someone posted above.

Personally I can't fathom the mindset of someone who goes into a thread, writes 'wat' and that's it. What's the motivation? and what is so hilarious about 'am cry' ? I picture some of you talking like this in real life, that's the scary thing.
wat

Yaweee

GauntletFan said:

'Banning all Memes' doesn't even make sense. If that person typed "What?" instead of 'wat' would it be acceptable? The point is the same.

Tntnnbltn

GauntletFan said:

Personally I can't fathom the mindset of someone who goes into a thread, writes 'wat' and that's it. What's the motivation?
You'd prefer them to post a 'LOL WUT' pear gif?

adg1034

Colonel Nelson said:
Slightly OT, but can someone explain to me the source of the "am cry" meme?

I'm pretty sure that came from either pre-ban *** or the OA forums. Seeing as how I wasn't around then, though, could someone back me up on this?

cpro said:
'Banning all Memes' doesn't even make sense.

Yeah it does. Memes are for the lazy - they bring nothing of substance to the forum. I know some of you think they're funny, but they're not.

And my point stands, writing 'what?' in a thread is as useless as writing 'wat'. The latter is only used in a nudge-nudge, wink-wink kind of way anyway.

Top Bottom