• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

gamesTM 69 - GTA4 DLC advert & Mario kart shock

Front page Starwars unleased

Previews

Soul Caliber IV
C&C Red alert 3
The Sims 3
Valkyria Chronicles
GTA IV
Resistance 2
Guitar Hero: On tour
Soul Bubbles
Mirrors edge
Street fighter IV
STALKER: Clear sky
Men of war
Starcraft 2
New international Track & Field
Battlefield: Bad company
Demigod
Aliens: Colonial marines
Showcase

Reviews

Super smash Bros Brawl 9 - The perfect sequel
Viking: Battle for Asgard 7 - Vikings reach exceeds its grasp
God of war: Chains of Olympus 8 - For PSP its a minor miracle
Sins of a solar empire 8 - An exceptional strategy release
Bangai-O Spirits 9 - Treasures idiosyncratic approach to redeveloping
Echochrome 8 (PS3) - A deeply absorbing challenge for grey matter
The house of dead 2 & 3 return 7 - Another highly enjoyable Sega shooter
Mario Kart 6 -A Disappointment
Apollo Justice 7 - As good as before but expected better
Uefa Eurp 2008 8 - The franchise advances in the right direction
Family Ski 7 - Bright & breezy, 3rd parties take note
Turning point 3 - As poor as it gets without being broken
King of clubs 4 - Decidedly under par
Bomber Land Touch 2 - More fire starter than Apocalypse now
Sega superstar tennis 5 - A dull short lived grind
Guilty gear XX accent core 7 - An accomplished update but a proper sequel overdue
Space invaders extreme 8 - A brilliant blaster finds the perfect handheld home

The GTAV ad is on the back page, about 25% of the bottom states

Now on Xbox 360
Download exclusive content on Xbox LIVE starting Autumn 2008

Gowans007 said:
its out, great I'll pick it up later.

what's the features? in the industry and retro sections?

Features

Fighting force - Star wars unleased hands on

It's a me - Article on character design

Character class - GamesTM's fave game characters

Fade in - praise the talent behind the greatest scripts in video games

Retro

Interview Howard Scott Warshaw

Behind the scenes Burning rangers

Hall of fame - Lesuire suit larry

Minority report - rare consoles you may never have heard of

Industry

Recruitment - find the career for you

DC R1D3R

Banned
Thanks for the Heads up mr_bishiuk, I haven't bought the mag for a few issues now. When I hit the streets I'll pick one up.

The Hug Dog said:
Is the new gamestm in stores or are you a subscriber? May have to pick it up later

Subscriber

ksamedi said:
I don't undrstand the low Mario Kart scores in some mags, its the best Mario Kart since Super Mario Kart.

They are pretty scathing, they say the graphics are worse than its home console predecessor, music is forgettable and that there are only a couple of decent courses. They go on to accuse Nintendo of being lazy! Ouch!

ksamedi said:
I don't undrstand the low Mario Kart scores in some mags, its the best Mario Kart since Super Mario Kart.
I can't understand it either. They gave Double Dash 8/10, and to suggest that MK Wii is worse is just... well, it's ridiculous.

FallenAngelV said:
I can't understand it either. They gave Double Dash 8/10, and to suggest that MK Wii is worse is just... well, it's ridiculous.
Maybe it has to do with ridiculous design choices, like the butchering of battle mode and the lack of 2p gp. I definitely prefer DD from what I've played.

FallenAngelV said:

Double dash was a few years ago though wasn't it?

mr_bishiuk said:
They are pretty scathing, they say the graphics are worse than its home console predecessor, music is forgettable and that there are only a couple of decent courses. They go on to accuse Nintendo of being lazy! Ouch!

That's pretty spot on.

Mario Kart Wii's only saving grace is its online mode.

ksamedi

rakka said:
but it's still mario kart unfortunately.
It does feel new because of the online mode and the Mii intergration. The Wii wheel helps as well. I think its a much bigger step than DD. DD was trash.

kaleii said:
Autumn? For serious? That's a hell of a long time after launch.

Could have an impact on Christmas sales though??

I have an image of the ad, whats a goof hosting site that hasn't been banned?!

HPIM0450.jpg

Here is the 360 GTA ad on the bank of the mag

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Dabanton said:
Huh why isn't the PS3 logo on their as well?

Because Microsoft paid for it?

We've already seen the advent of platform-specific ads for multiplatform games.

Also, I can't believe I walked into a store, and for the first time ever, passed by a new Mario Kart :|

NekoFever

Dabanton said:
Huh why isn't the PS3 logo on their as well?
You don't think $50m (or whatever it was) only pays for DLC, do you?

I don't know if TV commercials have started yet, but I'd be very surprised if they didn't have the 'Jump In' thing at the end.

ksamedi said:
It does feel new because of the online mode and the Mii intergration. The Wii wheel helps as well. I think its a much bigger step than DD. DD was trash.

They claim the tracks are too wide to make allowances for the wheel and remove the absolute precision required in the past, they also say the wide tracks gives the sensation that you aren't going very fast "makes it feel like one of the slowest racing games ever"

Damn, my local Borders do not have them yet. I will try Tesco later when doing my weekly groceries. They usually have these in early.

17 days away from release and the first advert I see for the fabled 'onslaught' of GTA4/360 is in a gaming magazine.

Seriously, this shit should be all over the media if MS are serious about plugging GTA4/360 DLC. Further proof that the European HQ of MGS is a two man operation, and one of those is part-time.

Still, 17 days to go! :D

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wax Free Vanilla said:
Because Microsoft paid for exclusive GTA4 marketing rights in Europe.

Have they? You'd think an official bundle would count as marketing. It'll be interesting to see if that was just a loophole and if MS has the rights to everything else.

gofreak said:
Have they? You'd think an official bundle would count as marketing. It'll be interesting to see if that was just a loophole and if MS has the rights to everything else.

I don't know. Some hardcore Xbox fans on here seem to think so...

Elios83

monkeylite said:
I doubt so. Sony has a GTAIV PS3 bundle in Europe.

It's funny how a few hardcore fans want to believe in a rumor even against the evidence of the contrary (Steinberg's statement about huge promotion being planned on their side, the only official bundle until now is from Sony).

RE: Mario Kart review

It really doesn't feel any slower than previous MK games. Once you get into a frenetic 12 player race you'll forget all about the tracks being wider.

It remains the best home console MK since the original.

I don't think Edge or Games TM had played online when writing the reviews - Games TM were honest about this or so I've heard, whereas Edge tried to snake around the issue. You're missing such a massive part of the game by not including the online...It would be like scoring Halo 3 10/10 solely for its single player, utter lunacy.

That said, if Nintendo are only going to allow magazines to play the games far enough in advance in the 'Wii House', then you could argue that the scores cannot be complained about, but the most credible route for the magazines to take would be to not review it at all for a month or two rather than put it in there despite having no experience of the title's biggest selling point.

I understand that there is copy to sell and a game like MK is a high profile one, but these two pride themselves on being 'high brow' as far as gaming magazines go. A compromised review compromises their credibility somewhat.

ksamedi

mr_bishiuk said:
They claim the tracks are too wide to make allowances for the wheel and remove the absolute precision required in the past, they also say the wide tracks gives the sensation that you aren't going very fast "makes it feel like one of the slowest racing games ever"

Yes the tracks are indeed wider but that doesn't mean you don't need precision to win. There are a lot of obstacles and tough shortcuts. Its impossible to not bump into something if you didn't practice the courses toroughly.

tabsina

mr_bishiuk said:

I was under the impression it was due to having 12 racers (although it isn't out here yet, so i don't really have a feel for the necessity of a wider track yet)

Haunted

MKWii is the best game in the series. Beats the previous champion MKDS in nearly every possible way.

Aaron said:
Games isn't the only place you can see an ad for it:
gta4ad.jpg
:lol perfect.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
sionyboy said:
17 days away from release and the first advert I see for the fabled 'onslaught' of GTA4/360 is in a gaming magazine.

Seriously, this shit should be all over the media if MS are serious about plugging GTA4/360 DLC. Further proof that the European HQ of MGS is a two man operation, and one of those is part-time.

Still, 17 days to go! :D

It's because you don't pay attention to how Microsoft advertises their product.

US Price Cut: August 8th, 2007
Release of Madden: August 14th 2007
Length of time: 6 days

First word of Euro price cut: March 5th, 2008
Actual price cut: March 14th, 2008
Length of time: 9 days

Date Gears advertising trailer hit Xbox Live: October 25th, 2006
Date Gears went on sale: November 7th, 2006
Length of time: 12 days

Days until Grand Theft Auto releases: 17

Agent Icebeezy said:
Date Gears advertising trailer hit Xbox Live: October 25th, 2006
Date Gears went on sale: November 7th, 2006
Length of time: 12 days

Days until Grand Theft Auto releases: 17

That there's the Magic Stat.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
BenjaminBirdie said:
That there's the Magic Stat.

It's how Microsoft does their advertising for everywhere. It just comes out of nowhere and you can't escape it. It was like that for the 360 launch, it was like that for the Zune launch and presumably it will be like that for this.

Halo 3 commercial went live on Yahoo on September 13th. The game went on sale September 25th. That is only a span of 12 days between the two. It's why I laugh when people want to talk marketing, yet don't know anything about marketing. :lol

Top Bottom