• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT on Wii Software Sales According to (banned site) and Pacter. guess which first?

Sharp

theguy said:
I'd guess it has something to do with the fact that Kotaku doesn't mislead its audience by making claims about its content, staff and partners that are completely false?
Not completely false, no, but I'd say Kotaku does a fair bit of misleading! Also--and I'm not sure if this has changed recently--Kotaku has historically gotten a lot of its news from GAF.

Banned
I'd guess it has something to do with the fact that Kotaku doesn't mislead its audience by making claims about its content, staff and partners that are completely false?

I guess, bit i would make the argument that Kotaku, while it doesn't directly mislead their audience, they do spend a lot of time injecting their often moronic viewpoints on issues, sensationalizing stories (holocaust video game?) and spinning shit to spark any controversy.

Banned

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ruby_onix said:
Just like the time NPD was gonna pull their numbers and all the vgcharters were celebrating and laughing at us. Thank god the NPD was convinced otherwise.

jay

Ioi posts:

"1. They question "team of analysts" as though it is funny for some reason? The Source, sqrl, DKII, myself and many others are indeed both a "team" and "analysts". Don't really see what is funny there?"

Do any of these people have any qualifications?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
jay said:
Ioi posts:

"1. They question "team of analysts" as though it is funny for some reason? The Source, sqrl, DKII, myself and many others are indeed both a "team" and "analysts". Don't really see what is funny there?"

They has a site with numberz. They must be!

FrankT

Not to give them credit but it sounds they are have a pretty good explanation for Uncharted?

It's questionable at best because the way that guy is quoted is such;

If you look at the NPD charts we’re like about 1.2 million worldwide.

It seems from what the guy is saying is he takes NPD figures and meshes it in with world wide shipment figures? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Because you cannot come to 1.2 million by February with NPD alone, and since NPD only does NA the figures must be some combination of world shipment and hard sales. While it maybe close to that there is no way to come to a hard figure with NPD alone. Total worldwide shipment figures are however easier to track for them (Naughty Dog).

jay

HK-47 said:
They has a site with numberz. They must be!

The "z" branding is beyond retarded but in fairness I want to see if they are actually analysts before mocking them for being a bunch of gamers with passing knowledge of means and modes.

Reading ioi call a poster with different opinions a troll is pretty convincing that whatever the guy's degree, I would prefer to not know him personally. It keeps getting better. After the owner calls the guy a troll admins tell some other poster to be nicer to the guy who was already called a troll. I need to stop reading this because these updates are surely more amusing to me than anyone else.

Innotech

Banned
so because Neogaf doesnt buy into ioi's shit this makes the forum jealous? Of what? that we dont count numbers for a living? I just want a reputable source of sales data and thats what NPD, Media Create and chart-track does. ioi's site is ultimately irrelevant to anyone with a real interest in sales information. You guys know that Ive been known to support some very unpopular htings here. If I truly bleieved ******** had any legitimacy Id say so. but even I think it doesnt. and February's terrible report there sealed the deal.

Hey guys, remember that time when Sony released their stock report last fall, and VGShitz number was 900K *HIGHER* than the amount Sony shipped?

what was ioi's excuse then? something about counting orders prepaid by retailers?

Cheerilee

Innotech said:
so because Neogaf doesnt buy into ioi's shit this makes the forum jealous? Of what?
Of the growing list of public service citations in their Wikipedia entry, of course.
Banned forum's Wiki thread said:
PS: ioi or TheSource, feel free to post in here and tell us what you want in there and what you don't. If you guys change it to your liking, just tell us here to stop changing it around.

Dave Long

Banned
Lots of folks are very happy to believe this article because to them it means the Wii is failing. Just take a ride around other forums similar to GAF and enjoy.

goomba

Banned
"The Wii may not be behind the success of all those titles, though; Guitar Hero, for example, sold 2.2 million copies for the Wii, but 2.8 million copies for the Xbox 360 and almost 5 million for two versions of the PlayStation."

:lol

jibblypop

Banned
Dave Long said:
Lots of folks are very happy to believe this article because to them it means the Wii is failing. Just take a ride around other forums similar to GAF and enjoy.

If the Wii is failing then I would hate to think what those people think that the much less successful 360 and ps3 are doing.

What a horrible article. Just a bunch of weird baseless opinions. The New York Times used to really be something too.
I lost a lot of respect for them a few years back when it was discovered that a writer for them made up dozens of stories. Was a sad day.

ecurbj said:
Fuck NeoGAF...I was trying to become a member a couple of weeks ago. I signed up and everything and I have to wait for the mods to confirm my e-mail address to make sure I'm not a troll or going to spam with my account.

I have been waiting for about a month now and I still haven't got the permission to become a poster on that site.

Whatever the rules are strict over there if you site anything your banned. Just a immature site that was build on bad reputation. Good thing ioi, left to make ********. Because I couldn't imagine what NeoGAF would be over there if ioi was still there.

Dumb ass NeoGayAssFags....lol
wow, and they're calling GAF immature!

McLovin

I'd say this was bs.. but then I look at my wii games and my ps3 games... I have 4 wii games including wii play and wii sports. I have over 14 ps3 games.

jibblypop

Banned
McLovin said:
I'd say this was bs.. but then I look at my wii games and my ps3 games... I have 4 wii games including wii play and wii sports. I have over 14 ps3 games.

Cookie.jpg

Innotech

Banned
McLovin said:
I dunno. I have 20 games for the wii already. Im not done yet either. the wii has a lot of games appealing to my tastes and Im picking up new ones rather quickly. I also dont buy shovelware (except Rapala fishing which was a dud).

McLovin

Innotech said:
I dunno. I have 20 games for the wii already. Im not done yet either. the wii has a lot of games appealing to my tastes and Im picking up new ones rather quickly. I also dont buy shovelware (except Rapala fishing which was a dud).
Different people different tastes I guess.
The Faceless Master said:
so which games did you buy twice?

j/k
:lol

Vinnk

NYT said:
Over the first three months of the year, only three other Wii titles broke the list of top 10 best-selling games compiled by the NPD Group, a market research firm: Super Mario Galaxy, Guitar Hero III and Wii Play, a sports game that comes with the purchase of a much-needed additional game controller. The Wii may not be behind the success of all those titles, though; Guitar Hero, for example, sold 2.2 million copies for the Wii, but 2.8 million copies for the Xbox 360 and almost 5 million for two versions of the PlayStation.

WOuld you guys consider it a sports game? Ping-pong maybe. But since when have "Tank" , "Cow-racing" and "spot that guy in the crowd" been practiced by olympic hopefuls...

Xisiqomelir

McLovin said:

00001-4.jpg

People buy different stuff.

Chumly

1. the fact they dont want to keep an open mind when we have been cited by the likes of Forbes, the NYT, IGN, etc, etc. And Pachter uses this site for his analyst. That right there shows we have better tracking then what NeoGAF wants to admit.

2. As PR rep, and have taken business, statistics, and analyst courses, I can tell you that the NPD does not have 50% of all retail as 60% of the world wide retail market is basically mom and pop stores and small retail chains that dont have the strength to pull 1% of Walmart's numbers. ioi is a bit modest about the percentage of retailers we get. He doesnt want us to let you know the actually percentage but let me tell you its above 7% and below 14% and isnt one of those numbers.
4. Yes, we are more lenient mattering the topic. This is why he is getting a warning for cursing and nothing more. He is defending this site like a loyal member. He isn't doing anything specifically wrong. Just like your fine with defending whatever sites you feel you are more loyal to. Just realize that our numbers are by far more accurate then you want to give us credit for and we all qualify to be analysts. I personally help my local government offices with their financial outlooks for their fiscals.
:lol :lol :lol :lol

When the fuck did he manage to pull in 7-14% of retail numbers. We all know his history and he NEVER got retail numbers so when did his site magically start giving real numbers instead of makebelieve.

jibblypop

Banned
diddlyD said:
holy shit im on a low carb diet DONT POST PICTURES LIKE THIS ASSHOLE

there are no carbs in cookies. just fairy dust and the feeling of utter satisfaction. go ahead and treat yourself!

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
Dave Long said:

Wii isn't failing, but Nintendo is doing as shitty a job as they ever have with providing software to their hardware owners. Whether you're a devotee or someone who just bought the system with Wii Sports, there isn't enough follow-up with software.

Sharp

CrapSandwich said:
Wii isn't failing, but Nintendo is doing as shitty a job as they ever have with providing software to their hardware owners. Whether you're a devotee or someone who just bought the system with Wii Sports, there isn't enough follow-up with software.
Nintendo's been releasing about a game a month, more some months, in addition to any games third parties deliver. Given the circumstances it's difficult for them to do much better.

F#A#Oo

Banned
CrapSandwich said:

Nintendo is doing their job...

It's third-parties who don't want to develop for the platform...it's as simple as that...what do you want Nintendo to do? Bribe them?:lol

F#A#Oo said:

It's third-parties who don't want to develop for the platform...it's as simple as that...what do you want Nintendo to do? Bribe them?:lol

Isn't that basically money-hats and such?

Xisiqomelir

F#A#Oo said:

Actually, this came up a while ago and some people said that "incentivizing development" was now "a standard industry practice" just because Sony did it a few times last-gen. If that's what the 3rd parties are seriously waiting for, they'll be at it a while.

jay said:
Ioi posts:

Well, I used to be a fairly regular poster over there and most of their "analysts" are college kids who can intelligently discuss video games, trends, and to a lesser extent business. If that's a team of video game analysts then every bar in this country isn't full of drunk middle aged guys but is in fact a team of sports analysts.

As for the site's credibility, which I know most consider to be somewhere around zero around here, I can just add that I bailed on it due to ioi insisting on padding the 360's numbers since someone at MS told him NPD undercounts the 360 by a decent amount (oh and also my NeoGAF account was finally activated). My recommendation to him that he find someone at Sony and Nintendo and just get his numbers that way wasn't well met.

Vinnk

F#A#Oo said:

It might help. They seem to be blind to anything else. Blowjobs may also help.

Gaborn

Bending_Unit_22 said:
Well, I used to be a fairly regular poster over there and most of their "analysts" are college kids who can intelligently discuss video games, trends, and to a lesser extent business. If that's a team of video game analysts then every bar in this country isn't full of drunk middle aged guys but is in fact a team of sports analysts.

How else do you explain ESPN?

Top Bottom