• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Voice Episode 8: Dark games abound!

http://wii.ign.com/articles/871/871734p1.html

So, the big thing this week is a third party game from an established franchise will be revealed Friday for the Wii and DS. Could it be the new Castlevania?

Summary thanks to Milabrega:

Milabrega said:
Summary Complete:

Protothea
-WiiWare Launch title 1000 points. Another Shooter.
-A 2005 Computer title being reworked.

Shikigami 3
-Verticle Shooter
-Doesn't really use the screen realestate

Boom Blox:
-A little over priced.
-Review coming tomorrow at midnight, Embargo up at midnight

~Sega, Ubisoft, Konami Events all on the same day next week
-Atleast one exclusive, pretty big coming friday. Wii and DS. Ign Exclusive!
-Based off an interested property.
-Video and SS of both versions Friday

Bionic Games
-Brand new start up company
-Surfer Girl rumor, Capcom will publish their game
-Some guys from Insomniac Resistance team, someone from Obsidian.
-Game is SciFi Action Adventure.
-Will be an Original IP for Wii.

Retro
-Job postings for those employees they lost

Iwata
-Sort of kind of admitted there is a storage problem (Iwata's FY Q&A)
-Hope the solution shows at E3, they didn't hint at anything.

Tidbits from a most anticipated section
-Matt says Pikmin 3 they know is being explored/ in full development getting ready for release
-Kid Icarus, again he jokes he knows its going to look nice (Matt)
-Animal Crossing.
-Damon has some issues with Line Rider. Interface issues. Some level issues.
-Craig mentioned he saw early version of next gen Ghostbusters and said it looks good, he likes it. No mention of the Wii version.
-They like the new space invaders and bangai-O.
-Guitar Hero DS is great, but song list seems shallow.
-Later on Damon mentions how no one mentioned De Blob or Deadly Creatures in this section. Matt and Bozon say those games are farther down their anticipated lists

E3
-They all fully believe this will be the last year of E3
-Especially with Activision pulling out.
-The old draw of E3, was the companies comparing the draw of crowds too their booth
-Now theres a bunch of Embargo'd crap, theres no time for VG journalists to go comprehensive with a game they just shell out Screenshots and PR.
-They all think the future will be E3 month, basically May where each company holds its own event.

Reader Q & A

Q: Is WiiFit coming with 4 AA batteries and not something Rechargeable ?
A: 4 duracells!

Q: Fully online Tetris title coming?
A: WiiWare title. Craig thinks the presentation just isn't there, but its Tetris.

Q: FF Tactics 2 in yet? A step up from FF tactics GBA?
A: Don't have it yet. Last time he played it was July 2007.

Q: Time Frame on Tecmo Bowl Wii version details?
A: They sort of know its coming for Wii, no official announcement yet.

Q: Boom Blox Single Player Fun?
A: Fun. It comes down to "Can you beat puzzle X, in a certain amount of throws". Create mode gets some praise here. Unlockables in create mode are unlocked via Single Player. This is the first game you really need to wear the wrist strap. Fun, but they all wish it was $29.99.

Q: Found out if the 6.7 attach rate for Wii includes VC games?
A: Haven't found it out yet

Q: Earthbound ESRB Rated, Why was Brawl Classic Taken out, is it actually coming ?
A: Doesn't mean its coming right away. Bozon talks about how everyone who tries to hype it, better buy it, because if it does come out on VC and doesn't sell, you can kiss it goodbye. Matt talks about how small the vocal minority of Earthbound's fanbase really is. Said its the same vocal 2,000 people.

Q: Are you going to come out and just admit Factor 5 is making Pilot Wings Wii ?
A: No, they are not making Pilot Wings Wii. "They are going to make more Nintendo games, and everyone who posts on the internet knows who it is" "it was one of the games he mentioned in his most anticipated section" (Matt). Obviously, Kid Icarus. No way any NDA about Factor 5 making Kid Icarus wasn't broken with all the hinting.

Q: WiiWare Size limit ?
A: 43 Megabytes. Talk about the hacking of WiiWare and how its going to kill off WiiWare. The publisher no longer chooses the price, they submit their preference, but Nintendo has final say. They don't want very cheap games compared to competition that may cannibalize their own sales.

Q: Now that Conduit debut went so well, now will devs of that other Dark Game go public?
A: That other developer is flying out to Ign this week, and they may do a blow out and a podcast about the game .... hopefully.

Q: Konami for Wii?
A: Craig has a list, but we will find out next week. There is a number 2 there, meaning a sequel. Elebits and Dewy's talk. Craig and Matt basically confirm its Elebits 2.

Q:Blast Works ?
A:Scrolling shooter, with a lot of stuff you can do in the map editor. Someone made a Cloverfield type level. The creation aspect is the selling point and coolest point about this game.

Q: WiiWare?
A: May 12th Launch. They still don't know the final launch list, as example by the new Ubisoft launch game announced today. Nothing from Nintendo about it.

Q: Wii Love Golf?
A: Not quite excited about it as they used to be after playing it.

The Moon guy was project lead on Iggy's Wrecking Balls.

~ Fin

batbeg

We need a Russian accent dammit!

And yeah, Castlevania seems like the logical choice - but then again, we've been assuming this all this time based off those screenshots even though we never found out if they were real :lol

*goes to listen*

Edit:

IAmtheFMan said:
Tecmo Bowl. Though not really "dark."

Whereas this is real so is even more logical :lol

IAmtheFMan said:
Tecmo Bowl. Though not really "dark."

The reason I think it's Castlevania is because they're going to a Konami event next week.
But who knows.

titiklabingapat said:
"Established franchise" usually mean spin offs.

The way they were saying it was to make it clear that it was a new game in a notable series and not a new IP.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
It's gotta be Castlevania

1- It's from a company that is holding an event next week-Ubisoft, Sega, or Konami

2- Existing property, DS/Wii both

3- EGM rumors about a DS/Wii Castlevania.

Threi

notag
I dont know about castlevania, but IGN hinted long ago that a franchise they were talking about was on SNES but was lost in the N64/GCN eras.

IAmtheFMan said:
So are we assuming that Kid Icarus is being developed by Factor 5? They seem to be dropping some pretty big hints...

We've been assuming it for weeks now, but this week pretty much confirmed it.

Alex

I hope if they do a Wii Castlevania like people have been saying, I hope they take another stab at a 3D one. I actually liked the N64 and PS2 ones, flawed but fun, and I'm REALLY sick of the portable SotN waterdowns.

schuelma

Alex said:
I hope if they do a Wii Castlevania like people have been saying, I hope they take another stab at a 3D one. I actually liked the N64 and PS2 ones, flawed but fun, and I'm REALLY sick of the portable SotN waterdowns.

The way the EGM rumors were phrased, it seems like Wii would most likely be 2D.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Threi said:
I dont know about castlevania, but IGN hinted long ago that a franchise they were talking about was on SNES but was lost in the N64/GCN eras.

Main series Final Fantasy? ;P

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Alex said:
I think the EGM rumors made the Wii game sound 2D, while a PS3/360 game would be 3D.

Innotech

Banned
AceBandage said:
We've been assuming it for weeks now, but this week pretty much confirmed it.
this is news to me. then again Ive been busy moving all my shit into a house this week.
Link?

Innotech

Banned
nobody even really remembers old Kid Icarus. what have they got to lose? also if they are developing it, Nintendo is going to give their input and it wont be another Lair at least.

nintendo-voice-chat-podcast-episode-8-20080505050326662.jpg

Ohh, another "dark" game that IGN is going to be revealing from a dev that needs a publisher is going to be shown this week, hopefully.
The dev is flying out tomorrow.

Crushed said:
I think the EGM rumors made the Wii game sound 2D, while a PS3/360 game would be 3D.

Mention of a 2D Castlevania on a console would have been earth shatteringly awesome news to me six or seven years ago, now I'm not too certain if I want another one of Iga's Metroidvania's. Be it on a console or handheld.

Milabrega

Ya i started a summary, the download is taking a couple minutes dunno why usually fast. Someone make a post so i don't double post when I start the summary.

well, if its c-vania wii, then i hope they dont have you swinging the whip all day with the wiimote. that would get old quick....really quick.

abstract alien said:
well, if its c-vania wii, then i hope they dont have you swinging the whip all day with the wiimote. that would get old quick....really quick.

That was Iga's excuse for not making a Wii Castlevania a long time ago.

Milabrega

Summary Complete:

Protothea
-WiiWare Launch title 1000 points. Another Shooter.
-A 2005 Computer title being reworked.

Shikigami 3
-Verticle Shooter
-Doesn't really use the screen realestate

Boom Blox:
-A little over priced.

~Sega, Ubisoft, Konami Events all on the same day next week
-Atleast one exclusive, pretty big coming friday. Wii and DS. Ign Exclusive!
-Based off an interested property.
-Video and SS of both versions Friday

Bionic Games

Retro
-Job postings for those employees they lost

Iwata
-Sort of kind of admitted there is a storage problem (Iwata's FY Q&A)
-Hope the solution shows at E3, they didn't hint at anything.

Tidbits from a most anticipated section
-Matt says Pikmin 3 they know is being explored/ in full development getting ready for release
-Kid Icarus, again he jokes he knows its going to look nice (Matt)
-Animal Crossing.
-Damon has some issues with Line Rider. Interface issues. Some level issues.
-Craig mentioned he saw early version of next gen Ghostbusters and said it looks good, he likes it. No mention of the Wii version.
-They like the new space invaders and bangai-O.
-Guitar Hero DS is great, but song list seems shallow.
-Later on Damon mentions how no one mentioned De Blob or Deadly Creatures in this section. Matt and Bozon say those games are farther down their anticipated lists

E3
-They all fully believe this will be the last year of E3
-Especially with Activision pulling out.
-The old draw of E3, was the companies comparing the draw of crowds too their booth
-Now theres a bunch of Embargo'd crap, theres no time for VG journalists to go comprehensive with a game they just shell out Screenshots and PR.
-They all think the future will be E3 month, basically May where each company holds its own event.

Reader Q & A

Q: Is WiiFit coming with 4 AA batteries and not something Rechargeable ?
A: 4 duracells!

Q: Fully online Tetris title coming?
A: WiiWare title. Craig thinks the presentation just isn't there, but its Tetris.

Q: FF Tactics 2 in yet? A step up from FF tactics GBA?
A: Don't have it yet. Last time he played it was July 2007.

Q: Time Frame on Tecmo Bowl Wii version details?
A: They sort of know its coming for Wii, no official announcement yet.

Q: Boom Blox Single Player Fun?
A: Fun. It comes down to "Can you beat puzzle X, in a certain amount of throws". Create mode gets some praise here. Unlockables in create mode are unlocked via Single Player. This is the first game you really need to wear the wrist strap. Fun, but they all wish it was $29.99.

Q: Found out if the 6.7 attach rate for Wii includes VC games?
A: Haven't found it out yet

Q: Earthbound ESRB Rated, Why was Brawl Classic Taken out, is it actually coming ?
A: Doesn't mean its coming right away. Bozon talks about how everyone who tries to hype it, better buy it, because if it does come out on VC and doesn't sell, you can kiss it goodbye. Matt talks about how small the vocal minority of Earthbound's fanbase really is. Said its the same vocal 2,000 people.

Q: Are you going to come out and just admit Factor 5 is making Pilot Wings Wii ?
A: No, they are not making Pilot Wings Wii. "They are going to make more Nintendo games, and everyone who posts on the internet knows who it is" "it was one of the games he mentioned in his most anticipated section" (Matt). Obviously, Kid Icarus. No way any NDA about Factor 5 making Kid Icarus wasn't broken with all the hinting.

Q: WiiWare Size limit ?
A: 43 Megabytes. Talk about the hacking of WiiWare and how its going to kill off WiiWare. The publisher no longer chooses the price, they submit their preference, but Nintendo has final say. They don't want very cheap games compared to competition that may cannibalize their own sales.

Q: Now that Conduit debut went so well, now will devs of that other Dark Game go public?
A: That other developer is flying out to Ign this week, and they may do a blow out and a podcast about the game .... hopefully.

Q: Konami for Wii?
A: Craig has a list, but we will find out next week. There is a number 2 there, meaning a sequel. Elebits and Dewy's talk. Craig and Matt basically confirm its Elebits 2.

Q:Blast Works ?
A:Scrolling shooter, with a lot of stuff you can do in the map editor. Someone made a Cloverfield type level. The creation aspect is the selling point and coolest point about this game.

Q: WiiWare?
A: May 12th Launch. They still don't know the final launch list, as example by the new Ubisoft launch game announced today. Nothing from Nintendo about it.

Q: Wii Love Golf?
A: Not quite excited about it as they used to be after playing it.

The Moon guy was project lead on Iggy's Wrecking Balls.

~ Fin

Milabrega said:
Summary to be posted here. Updated every ten minutes until complete.

Summary Incomplete:

Boom Blox:
-A little over priced.

Bionic Games

10/60
How is Boom Blox over priced? I've heard nothing but praise for this game.

Bionic Games sounds like it can make win.

batbeg

Milabrega said:

It's not coming at midnight, it's just coming "tomorrow". They would have put it up at midnight tonight, but they said people are probably sick of them praising it (ie they're too lazy or it's not optimal to do it tonight).

And yeah, I'm kind of sick of people saying puzzle games don't deserve a full price tag. Keep in mind, Bozon said the same stupid thing about Fire Emblem Wii.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
A lot of people said a lot of stupid things about FE Wii.

Man the game would have been so much cooler if it had a recruitable Mii character!

schuelma

At 41 minutes they do the most blatant confirmation of Kid Icarus developed by Factor 5 yet.

wsippel

Banned
Milabrega said:
It's actually the same guy, Mike Stout. I made a thread about Bionic a while ago, and did some more digging in the meantime. These are a few of the guys working there:

- Mike Stout, Creative Director (Alpha Protocol, Resistance, Ratchet & Clank 1 - 3)
- Alvin Chung, Art Director (Spielberg's PS360 project, Warhammer 40k, Darkwatch)
- Bill Black, Director of Audio and Video (Starcraft II, Burning Crusade, Starcraft Ghost)
- Ryan Juckett, Senior Programmer (Project Offset, Tony Hawk's Project 8, Gun)
- Ellen Lin, Environment Artist (R&C: Size Matters, MoH: Airborne, Tiberium Wars)

Alvin Chung already left the company after creating the general visual style of their debut title. I also tried to find out where Mike Haller, president of Bionic Games, worked in the past, and it seems he was vice president at Sammy, EA and THQ. Or maybe that was a different Mike Haller...

Top Bottom