• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PR -- Bethesda announces Fallout 3 composer: Inon Zur

It should have been Mark Morgan. :(

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257552

I hope he uses some of the strange ambient style from Fallout 1 and 2. Loved some of that stuff.

Just by listening to those three samples, it's pretty clear that they have abandoned that completely.

The first track is straight-out epic. The second and third sort of try to be atmospheric, kind of, but are still just decent orchestral/symphonic sounding stuff, nothing like Morgan's really cool electronic soundtracks for the first two games. I knew they were going to do this, but it's unfortunate nonetheless.

Victrix

*beard*
It's not Soule, I'm happy. He of the one track, repeated endlessly across all games he's ever worked on.

NoirYuki

First track: Bombastic like Oblivion, but less memorable. This sort of music is pretty out of place when it comes to Fallout. Fallout was all Ink Spots (or Louis Armstrong) and ambience.

Second track: "Old West" feel, like a dreary ghost town. Not bad. Decent ambience, but quite different from old Fallout.

Third track: Starts symphonic, then Middle Eastern/Asian influenced? Kind of odd, but not bad sounding.

Certainly a different approach, but I will remain non-judgemental. I really enjoyed the old ambient tracks of Fallout, and I am not sure how well this will fit with what I consider Fallout to be.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
This guy did a good score for Crysis. Not the best score ever but it was definitely quality.

Echoes

What a talented man. I honestly didn't know who he is from his name, but by looking at Wikipedia's list, my god what a great musician he is. Syberia, Icewind Dale 2, Crysis, Dawn of War and Throne of Bhaal. Sweet.

Walshicus

"Inon Zur was born in Israel. He graduated from the Music Academy of Tel Aviv, and he has studied at the Dick Grove School of Music and the University of California, Los Angeles."
*snicker*

Should be good, but I still think he ought to be a Super Villain.

It's more symphonic than the other Fallout soundtracks and it lacks that weird surrealism that was ran thick through those games, but I still like what I'm hearing so far, especially the Megaton theme. Few things get me excited like eerie Western music.

Not to get all NMA, but the music doesn't really scream Fallout to me. I'm sure the game will wind up being good at the very least, but they seem to be making a departure from the tone of the past games. To be expected given the change in developers, I guess.

buckfutter said:
Not to get all NMA, but the music doesn't really scream Fallout to me. I'm sure the game will wind up being good at the very least, but they seem to be making a departure from the tone of the past games.

Not entirely. The Fallout 3 tracks seems to have more in common with Fallout 2, though. Megaton is similar to My Chrysalis Highwayman and Into the Wasteland shares some similarities with Many Contrasts.

He took over Icewind Dale 2 from Jeremy Soule.

And I absolutely love the Icewind Dale series soundtracks, so this is great news for me.

It never goes too long without getting a playthrough. In particular, I like listening to it while playing other RPGs -- MMOs, specifically.

By the way, on the style and atmosphere topic, though the work of his that I know the best is not as gothic or ominous as, say, Matt Uelmen, and a lot of his work is pretty epic and soaring, he's still done some pretty good ambience as well so the bodes well for him adapting to the post-apoc Fallout setting--and more specifically how important the ambient atmosphere is to Fallout.

It's good music, and I'm sure it will suit the game just fine. I have a very special place in my heart for the music of the original games, but this is sizing up just fine. It evokes a tone similar to the subtle loneliness of the previous games. This just does it without a synthesizer.

Funnily, the Megaton song had me envisioning Fallout and that old western game Outlaws crashing into each other.

In a good way.

neuroticphil said:
Funnily, the Megaton song had me envisioning Fallout and that old western game Outlaws crashing into each other.

In a good way.

In a way, the world of Fallout kind of is like the new Old West. You have one or two larger "cities" and some scattered villages and outposts in a desert wasteland that are connected mainly by caravans and the odd traveler. The land in between the settlements is filled with environmental hazards, wild animals, bandits, and other hostile elements.

So it's really not that far off to have music in some parts that are evocative of that time period.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I hope this isn't going to be an Oblivion situation where we'll have 1 or 2 hours of music spread out over dozens of hours of playtime.

Chairman Yang said:
I hope this isn't going to be an Oblivion situation where we'll have 1 or 2 hours of music spread out over dozens of hours of playtime.

Uh...I wouldn't hold my breath in anticipation of an announcement like that.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Great Rumbler said:
Uh...I wouldn't hold my breath in anticipation of an announcement like that.

I know, my expectations are pretty low. Hopefully Bethesda will at least implement the same music system as Oblivion, where you could place your own MP3s in various directories (dungeon music, town music, overland music, etc.) and the game would play them automatically.

Chairman Yang said:
I know, my expectations are pretty low. Hopefully Bethesda will at least implement the same music system as Oblivion, where you could place your own MP3s in various directories (dungeon music, town music, overland music, etc.) and the game would play them automatically.

Unless they plan to completely keep the modding community away from F3, this should be possible.

I don't think the problem will be as bad as in Oblivion and Morrowind, though. The Fallout 3 world is smaller than Oblivion, for one thing, and in the previous Fallout games you could usually do just about everything in roughly 20-30 hours.

For anyone who didn't read the link I gave, this is what Mark Morgan (Fallout 1 & 2 composer) had to say about what he would theoretically do with a Fallout 3 soundtrack.

Mark: Like I said earlier, I would take “Fallout 3” to a much more modern place, while honoring a lot of the elements of the earlier games. Maybe heavier, more ethnic, more rhythmic, it could be a hybrid with some orchestral elements. Just nothing traditional. As I recall, Tim and I never discussed anything orchestral. Now that you’ve brought this to my attention, it would be exciting to be involved with the new game.

soldat7

Chairman Yang said:

I don't think there was even an entire hour's worth of music in Oblivion. Either that or I became desensitized to it after playing for so long...

soldat7 said:
I don't think there was even an entire hour's worth of music in Oblivion. Either that or I became desensitized to it after playing for so long...

There's 30 different pieces of music that add up to about an hour.

Gwanatu T

Mmmmmmm that is some seriously epic music. I loved his work from PoP 2 (don't know what else he did, just got the soundtrack from the pre-order) and was pleased to see his name here.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
The music needs to have a certain level of "freak" slapped into it. Get Trent Rezner or Marilyn Manson to help out.lol

Trent would just go crazy with his ideas, pushing the game back to 2010.

And Marilyn Manson... maybe if it was 2001 or something.

Top Bottom