• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Codemasters secures Formula 1 License

woeds

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67228
Formula One is to have its first official computer game in more than two years next season following the capture of a new official licencing deal with British gaming company Codemasters, autosport.com can reveal.

With Sony having published the most recent official F1 game last summer, based on the 2006 season and available only on PlayStation consoles, Codemasters' deal will see F1 return to a multiformat platform for the first time in many years.

The game is set to be available on all major home consoles, as well as handheld and PC gaming formats.

After weeks of discussion between Codemasters and Formula One Administration, it is anticipated that the company will produce the first game next year, based on the 2009 F1 season. This will be the first game that Lewis Hamilton will appear in.

Rod Cousens, chief executive officers of Codemasters, said: "Formula One is ambitious in expanding its reach with more circuits planned beyond recent additions in the Middle East and China. It is also ambitious in expanding its reach via technology.

"The digital communities that computer and video gaming creates will play a key role in further growing the F1 audience and connecting them globally.

"As a world-leading creator of driving games, this alliance with F1 is the jewel in Codemasters' racing crown and creates an undisputed segment champion."

Chris Denning, chairman of Codemasters, added: "Codemasters' success and recent innovations in the racing game space makes the company more than appropriately tuned for the challenge.

"The combination of F1's new momentum of expansion and Codemasters' contemporary technology and past experience is the breaking of a new dawn for the sport, on the track and on the HD game screen."

Codemasters Studios has already begun preparations for the major task of creating the new game, by strengthening their team with personnel from the now defunct Sega Racing Studio.

There are 350 people working on the project, which will be based on the EGO Engine that Codemasters has put to good use on the Colin McRae: DIRT and soon-to-be-released Race Driver: GRID titles.
Yes! Yes! Yes!
I was afraid that EA was going to get the license again, this is great. I have a lot more faith in Codemasters with their previous racegame experience.

There are 350 people working on the project, which will be based on the EGO Engine that Codemasters has put to good use on the Colin McRae: DIRT and soon-to-be-released Race Driver: GRID titles.

After playing the GRID demo, i will stick with F1CE.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Wollan said:
Codemaster love racing games.

Codemasters love money.

*EDIT*
The also love spending it. I would hate to think exactly how much they had to pay to secure the license.

Keio

For a Finer World
Great news - I think DIRT was good and I yet have to try the GRID demo.

If they manage to get at least some of the Toca 2 feeling to the game, I'm finally back to F1 after a loooong (what, 8 years?) break.

It will be interesting to see how Codemasters handles the driving model for this game. F1 attracts both very casual and very hardcore fans, and the huge license sums involved means they need to reach an as large as possible audience. My guess is they will try to reach both audiences by going the Forza route of using driving assists (including racing lines) to make it very easy for casual players, but also have true simulation modes included.

sinnergy

amar212 said:
If they continue to stick with Central Pivot Point as in GRID, it's going to suck a bit.. But othervise - great news!

Sony rejected Berine's "offer" of 15 million euros for the licence. So, that's the price I guess.

So you think we will be sliding around the tracks with F1 cars?

sinnergy said:
So and how do you know this game will suck?

Fanboyism at it's finniest... :lol

fanboyism? fanboyism of what? i see codemasters release 2 games on the same engine with mediocre physics, and BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM, and its wrong to assume this game won't smash that trend and turn out spectacular?

F1 CE is an absoultely awesome game, i can't see codemasters out-doing it judging by their current efforts.

amar212

sinnergy said:

I wouldn't call it sliding - it's just not natural to drive with central pivot as a turning point.

You can't even do a propper 360 that way, at tleast with the wheel. Must admit I didn't bother to try GRID with controller. But, having central pivot point for turning point is very bad in terms of simulational physics.

GRID would be 5 times better and "simulational" if the turning point would be on the spot where axle is infact pushing the car towards turn. Central Pivot was something that games had long time ago, when you just didn't have resources to calculate movement for every wheel and corresponding mechanic that affects movement-physics.

So, my hopes goes to true turning point for F1 game - and all other Codemasters driving games in future.

Ahriman

sinnergy said:

Ironically, that may be somewhat fitting, since 2009 is the season of massively reduced downforce in F1. Doesn't change the fact that Codemasters' current physics model is absolute shit though.

Troidal

Not to rag on the physics since I liked DiRT, but turning corners in their F1 games would probably be insanely hard :lol

Raide

I wonder what Codemasters will bring to the F1 games then? Codemasters have had success with the Toca series and Dirt did really well also. I am really glad that Sony did not renew the licence, not because I am a fanboy, I am glad because it means other formats get to play F1 games at last. :lol

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Didn't try GRID, but while DiRT was quite pretty I disliked the central pivot physics. Hopefully they'll change this for the F1 game.

Personally I'm looking for a more arcadey F1 experience.

Tempy said:

If GRID and DIRT are anything to go by then this should be right up your alley. It'll be interesting to see how F1 forums react to this though. They're about as picky with details as it comes.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Ok Codies, redeem yourselves please, F1 is a SERIOUS franchise, you know you can make a decent racing sim (See Race Driver 1, 2 and 3), now go off and prove that you still have it.

For the record, I have played the GRID demo and to put it mildly, I wanted to punch someone after I played it.
Tempy said:
Codies, for the love of god, DO NOT FUCKING LISTEN TO SHIT LIKE THIS.

acm2000

the TOCA team will be making this i assume, and race driver already had F1 style cars, and that series is fucking amazing, much fun, i have high hopes for this :D shame its not out till next year tho

f@luS

More than a member.
acm2000 said:
the TOCA team will be making this i assume, and race driver already had F1 style cars, and that series is fucking amazing, much fun, i have high hopes for this :D shame its not out till next year tho
there is still a toca team?
we may see one of the few sequel beein' worst than the predecessor :eek:

acm2000 said:
Yeah, they had Formula One cars from the Williams team in Race Driver 3 and the handling was atrocious.

Codemasters getting the F1 license is the worst racing game related news of all time.

acm2000

Wax Free Vanilla said:
Yeah, they had Formula One cars from the Williams team in Race Driver 3 and the handling was atrocious.

Codemasters getting the F1 license is the worst racing game related news of all time.

its better than EA getting it and making BURNOUT:F1, and better than Sony keeping it since now everyone gets a version, codies have a proven track record of making great racing games, its not gonna be a hardcore sim, because it would sell 4 copies

RiverBed

Banned
which will be based on the EGO Engine that Codemasters has put to good use on the Colin McRae: DIRT and soon-to-be-released Race Driver: GRID titles.
wasn't the engine called Neon- which Sony helped create with Edge?

itxaka

Defeatist
Wax Free Vanilla said:

This.

its better than EA getting it and making BURNOUT:F1

At least Burnout is more playable than the last codemaster racing games.

EA will have keep it as a formula one. They already got the need for speed series for arcade racing, they needed a simulator.

Burai

shitonmychest57
This is great news. There is so much potential at Codemasters for decent racers with them having just rescued Sega Racing Studios.

It's never going to be a hardcore racing sim, but then it wasn't when it was with Sony and it certainly wouldn't have been with EA either.

Brosa

SolidSnakex said:
So what the hell is EA going to do with their Lewis Hamilton license? Put him in NFS?

Never forget...

michael-schumacher-world-tour-kart.jpg

acm2000 said:
its better than EA getting it and making BURNOUT:F1, and better than Sony keeping it since now everyone gets a version, codies have a proven track record of making great racing games, its not gonna be a hardcore sim, because it would sell 4 copies

No it's not.

EA in the past has shown that it can produce enjoyable single seater racing physics. Codies on the other hand have continuously failed since they introduced single seat racing cars in TOCA Touring Cars 2. The console version for me is a non-start, and I can only hope the PC version is mod friendly, so the REAL F1 fans can go to work on it.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
-so mr peter moore was lying , Sony didn't renew the license , why he said that ? he think he still with MS or something ?

- how in hell can codemasters pay $15 mil per year for the license but not EA ?

- Dirt/Grid Engine ? srsly ? Epic Fail , for $15 million at least make a new fucking Engine that let us actually handel the freaking cars .

- Lewis Hamilton is exclusive for EA right ? so can they still put him in this game ? not that i care or something .

-2009 season ? what ?? i guess it will be released mid season next year then .

Top Bottom