• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official April 2008 NPD thread of massive disappointment if you're not Nintendo

AniHawk said:
Well we know for sure that it's under 150k. So I'm guessing it didn't do that well.
The PS2 - version didn´t managed 100.000 units in Sep. 06, so lets see. :)

@sonycowboy:
Could we get some additional numbers, please?

Hero

That's pretty much it for this generation, folks. Halo and GTA, two of the biggest franchises from last generation, are already released and this month just further proves that the price barrier for the HD consoles this generation is too high for the casual gamer.

And I really hope people aren't delusional to think that MGS4 will have an impact either.

chespace said:
Great month for our industry. :D

Not sure why all the long faces. You think the success of Wii is going to change the fact that both 360 and PS3 will have a ton of excellent games for core gamers?

Is Wii stunting the mainstream growth of HD consoles? Probably, but there are lots of factors to consider... HD penetration being one of them.

But software publishers on 360 are making cash monies hand over fist -- that trend isn't going to stop any time soon, which means the games will just keep on coming.

Don't worry, be happy.

This month is a good 25% below expectations for SW sales, even more for HW sales. GTA IV's numbers are great, but not as good as folks expected.

It was not a good month for the industry as a whole.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Concept17 said:
I sincerely hope not.

Ugh...why the hell not? The Wii is outselling everything--it makes perfect business sense. It's going to win this generation of consoles hands down.

3rd parties need to jump on board now or get left behind.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Nintendo should yank the chanins on the big 3rd parties now. Been calling for this action for months either start putting real titles consumers want both casuals or hardcore nintendo gamers or no Wii/DS. Publishers would shit their pants if they knew they had to rely ps family and the hd for money considering the state of games. Even if nintendo don't take action the publishers are screwed if they keep putting crap on Wii then in 2k10 finally get real stuff as they by then most nintendo consumers casual, non game, or hardcore won't give two craps about what's coming out from them. So knew this generation like the psx era was gonna be getting rid of a lot childish and immature publishers who don't bother to deal with nintendo because of bad blood. This time their own inept and conservative behaviors are gonna be their deaths bout time as it should cleaned out a lot the first time.

Pachinko said:
so is it wrong to hate nintendo and it's stupid crappy console more with each passing month? I mean don't get me wrong I've had a blast with mario galaxy, metroid prime 3, twilight princess and no more heroes but seriously 700,000 + consoles sold in a month with absolutly fucking nothing worth buying on it ?

I think we can consider april 2008 as the official toe tag for real videogames. Thanks nintendo, go fuck yourselves for ruining real games with this casual bullshit.

I allready barely consider the wii a game system, to me it's a toy that happens to play games whereas I look at the 360 as a videogames machine and the ps3 as a multimedia hub. Well guys, here's hoping the bubble bursts soon and nintendo has a make a real console soon. :D :(:(

This has got to go too far no?

Is this seriously the hardcore mentality?

Pachinko said:
so is it wrong to hate nintendo and it's stupid crappy console more with each passing month? I mean don't get me wrong I've had a blast with mario galaxy, metroid prime 3, twilight princess and no more heroes but seriously 700,000 + consoles sold in a month with absolutly fucking nothing worth buying on it ?

I think we can consider april 2008 as the official toe tag for real videogames. Thanks nintendo, go fuck yourselves for ruining real games with this casual bullshit.

I allready barely consider the wii a game system, to me it's a toy that happens to play games whereas I look at the 360 as a videogames machine and the ps3 as a multimedia hub. Well guys, here's hoping the bubble bursts soon and nintendo has a make a real console soon. :D :(:(

All video games are toys.

Davidion

Pachinko said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I didn't realize bitter tears are being distilled into its purer form now.

Jibber Hack said:

YUP! :lol

Foxix Von

perfectchaos007 said:
I think the Wii is experiencing an erection.
Wiipwn.gif

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
theguy said:
Nope, it's due to other factors but includes the economy.

People are still spending as much if not more money on video games as before. It's not because they can't afford the PS3 or 360 but because they are actively choosing to spend their money on different products.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
sonycowboy said:
This month is a good 25% below expectations for SW sales, even more for HW sales. GTA IV's numbers are great, but not as good as folks expected.

That will be fixed when we return to the golden era where Nintendo is the industry.

FrankT

Just in case you missed it from the last page, just cannot get over this;

I'd love to know how NPD come up with these figures, cause the stores we cover must be in the huge minority here.

Comedy gold.

:lol :lol

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
sonycowboy said:

US game sales are up 47%. That is what I would call a good month for the industry

I just had a thought, someone please make a Madworld GIF and splice a Wii/Miyamoto/Iwata killing everyone and crushing GAF`s heart in it`s hand. That would be so completely perfect right about now :lol

MisterHero

Code:
U.S. Video Games Industry - April 2008						
	April 2007	April 2008		YTD Apr 07	YTD Apr 08	
Video Games	$839 million	$1.23 billion	47.0%	$4.18 billion	$5.47 billion	31.0%
  Video Games Hardware	$339.2 million	$426.2 million	26.0%	$1.62 billion	$1.84 billion	13.0%
  Video Games Software	$389.4 million	$654.7 million	68.0%	$1.97 billion	$2.88 billion	46.0%
  Video Game Accessories	$110.4 million 	$154 million	39.0%	$584.4 million	$750.6 million	29.0%

Hardware
PlayStation 2	124.4K
PlayStation 3	187.1K
PSP	        192.7K
Xbox 360	       188.0K
Wii	      714.2K
Nintendo DS	414.8K

Top 10 VG Titles - April'08	
	Units*
360 GTA IV	1.85mm
Wii Mario Kart w/ wheel	1.12mm
PS3 GTA IV	1.00mm
Wii Play	360K
Wii Super Smash Bros. Brawl	326K
PS3 Gran Turismo 5:  Prologue	224K
DS Pokemon Mystery Dungeon:  Explorers of Darkness	202K
DS Pokemon Mystery Dungeon:  Explorers of Time	202K
Wii Guitar Hero III	152K
360 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare	141K

*includes bundles, collector's editions, GOTY editions
Miyamoto-EARTH.png

Concept17

Time to open up a betting thread on when Sony and MS will drop prices.

Sony could do it with MGS4.

MS needs to do it immediately.

Insanity. Beautiful, delicious insanity.

I gotta say, I'm loving this ride. There are CEOs screaming at the top of their lungs right now, and then weeping quietly.

Companies like EA, etc... had basically ZERO planned for Wii when it was first announced. "Revolution? Nintendo's gonna get third, no need to make anything for it." And they signed all the big budget games to the "safe bet" platforms, 360 and PS3.

Over the next year you are going to see a lot of big games heading to the Wii. Stuff like Mad World is just a taste. Companies are going to be leaping onto Wii and Wii Ware. The next-next Dragon Quest (after the DS one) will probably be announced for the Wii. We've already seen that Monster Hunter has been. With sales of Wii Guitar Hero, Activision is going to be focusing pretty heavily on making sure that cow keeps producing milk. EA already jumped on board with a pretty big-budget title in Boom Blox, and we'll definitely keep seeing more from them.

At this point, ignoring Nintendo platforms is just leaving money on the table.

theguy

Jtyettis said:
Quote:
I'd love to know how NPD come up with these figures, cause the stores we cover must be in the huge minority here.

:lol :lol

I was waiting for that. I have some VERY interesting insight that I'll be sharing with all of you soon. He had best check himself before he wrecks himself. Yeah, I'm going there. Oh, trust me, I WILL go there.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Jibber Hack said:

I think (and it's just a guess) that the quote was a joke--at least, it had better be.

He specifically listed 4 games he "had a blast with" and then went on to repeat the classic "hardcore gamer" mantra.

Grecco

Pachinko said:

I.

K. So you 1.Hate Nintendo 2.Think theres nothing good on the console but 3.loved Mario Galaxy prime, zelda and nmh

fantastic.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
sonycowboy said:

It was not a good month for unrealistic expectations and analysts, but it was a good month for the industry.

It's growing at a nice clip, despite the stalled economy. Folks are making money. I still have a job.

But seriously, my previous post was mostly directed at all those freaking out about Nintendo. The impact of Wii's success is highly exaggerated.

Jibber Hack said:

Well when you walk into a target or a blockbuster and the Wii has more shelf space for shovelware shit then the 360/ps3 combined. I think he's allowed to be upset.

Jokeropia

Pachinko said:
Having trouble connecting A to B, are we? Not only is Mario Kart very much worth buying, but there were tons of awesome games already out as well.
Pachinko said:
This should be obvious, but whiners don't get to decide what "real games" are.
Pachinko said:
I can atleast take comfort in the fact that 3rd parties release tons of shit that doesn't seem to sell on wii
Indeed, the shitty third party games on Wii tend to sell poorly. Fortunately however (well, not for you I guess), the good third party games do.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Yet another great day to be a Wii owner.

That's right, third parties. Scurry off of those sinking next-gen ships.

Top Bottom