• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aces of the Galaxy and Roogoo coming to the Xbox Live Arcade on June 4, 2008

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/05/30/aces-of-the-galaxy-hitting-xbla-next-week/

It seems it's been a trend lately for XBLA games to release in pairs and while we were a bit less than thrilled with this week's releases, next week does look better. In addition to Roogoo, June 4 will also see the release of the co-op space shooter Aces of the Galaxy. Little to nothing has been revealed about the game so far but XBLA thankfully gives us trial versions, and the graphics and co-op play give us more than enough reason to give it try. From what we can infer the game could be worth its 800pt price tag, we just wish Artech had gotten more out there about it.

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/05/29/roogoo-twists-and-turns-onto-the-xbla-june-4th/

Roogoo twists and turns onto the XBLA June 4th

Posted May 29th 2008 10:30AM by Dustin Burg
Filed under: News, Xbox Live Arcade
We've just been informed that Spidermonk Entertainment and SouthPeak Games' upcoming twisty, puzzly and colorfully puzzle game Roogoo is set to release to the XBLA next Wednesday, June 4th for 800 Microsoft points. We've also been informed about some Roogoo game specifics that we'd like to share with you for the sake of expanding upon your (and our) Roogoo knowledge base. Ahem. Roogoo will feature over 45 level of "action packed puzzle racing games", use five different shape / colored meteor pieces, feature single and multiplayer fun and include "entertaining short story segments." Sounds fun, no?

Also, you can view some new Roogoo screenshots in the gallery below and hit the break to get learnified about all twelve of the game's achievements. Because you want to learn what you must go through to become a Roogoo Guru ... don't you? Blue. Screw. Moo.

I'm still pretty disappointed in Sierra using "Aces" for an outer space action flight shooter... I mean, I like space flying action games a lot, but that's not Aces!

I'm still pretty disappointed in Sierra using "Aces" for an outer space action flight shooter... I mean, I like space flying action games a lot, but that's not Aces!

They could have at least offered a cockpit view with a HUD or something. It still looks good, but yeah it's sort of totally not Aces.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Sierra have been a massive supporter of XBLA. What's best is that most (all?) of their games are originals rather than just rehashes.

Roogoo looks pretty cool, I'm always down for a puzzle game that doesn't do a variation of match-four-blocks.

alistairw said:
Sounds like they'll be disappearing from the service in 6 months time.

Is every XBLA thread going to be like this from now on?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
PrivateRyan said:
Roogoo looks pretty cool, I'm always down for a puzzle game that doesn't do a variation of match-four-blocks.

I really, really hope that it is not the case.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Well, the GamerScoreBlog is being a tad slow today, but Major Nelson confrims that Roogoo and Aces to the Galaxy are coming this week.

This week on Arcade: Aces of the Galaxy and RooGoo

Aces of the Galaxy and RooGoo will be available this Wednesday for 800 points each

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
soldat7 said:
:lol :lol :lol

Blame MS people, not witty GAFers.

See, the thing is, this anecdote about the current state of the XBLA is neither witty nor insightful anymore. No, no, it has very quickly become a tiresome and trite observation with a slant towards ignorance to denote that an XBLA game might not sell and/or might suck.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Finally, the full PR, I hope this doesn't happen next week.

Blast off with the Intense Space Shooter, Aces of the Galaxy and Experience the Action Puzzler Roogoo, Both Launching onto Xbox LIVE Arcade This Wednesday!

Experience the thrilling retro arcade space shooter "Aces of the Galaxy, and enjoy a new type of action-puzzler, "Roogoo," both launching on Xbox LIVE Arcade this Wednesday, June 4, 2008 at 9:00 a.m. GMT (1:00 a.m. PDT).

Enjoy the frantic action of "Aces of the Galaxy," an old fashioned arcade adrenaline-pumping shoot-em-up that allows players to save the Universe from the wicked Skurgian Empire. Players annihilate enemy ships with an impressive arsenal of upgradeable weapons including high-powered missile launchers, devastating torpedoes and the relentless chain gun. Battle intense waves of enemy Skurgians against a breathtaking outer space backdrop, and choose to fight alone or join up with a friend at home or via Xbox LIVE.

Developed by Sierra Online, "Aces of the Galaxy" will be available worldwide for 800 Microsoft Points and is rated E10+ by the ESRB. For more details on "Aces of the Galaxy" please visit:

• http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/livearcadexbox360
• http://www.acesofthegalaxy.com

"Roogoo" updates the square peg in round hole premise to a whole new level. Help the Roogoo defeat their enemies, the evil Meemoo, in "Roogoo," a new and innovative action based-puzzler with addictive gameplay. Players line up multiple platforms on different levels to allow shaped blocks to pass through and once enough stack up, that particular shape closes off. A simple premise becomes more complicated as Meemoos begin to obstruct players' paths and butterflies attempt to steal blocks away. Players must swivel, roll and boost their way through 45 puzzle-filled levels alone or with up to four friends in cooperative party mode play. For those with a more competitive spirit, "Roogoo" offers a two-player multiplayer mode over Xbox LIVE where players battle to solve the same puzzle and can build up attacks to thwart their competitors' efforts.

Developed by SouthPeak Games, "Roogoo" will be available worldwide (with the exception of Japan) for 800 Microsoft Points and is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB. For more details on "Roogoo" please visit:

• http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/livearcadexbox360

SickBoy

I'll be downloading Aces tonight/tomorrow morning... don't know if I'll buy it, but it looks fantastic. IGN's got a review for it as well (8.4): http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/878/878506p1.html

I haven't read it (other than to see what they said about the gameplay: "Playing through Aces is mostly a thrill, if a bit monotonous at times. Weapon mix is fun and well-balanced. Bosses would be icing on the space cake.") Otherwise, I just clicked through to see the video, which is the first I've seen of the game :)

soldat7

SickBoy said:
I'll be downloading Aces tonight/tomorrow morning... don't know if I'll buy it, but it looks fantastic. IGN's got a review for it as well (8.4): http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/878/878506p1.html

The non-automatic chain gun isn't the only throwback choice Artech made with Aces of the Galaxy. In true hardcore arcade fashion, each game is a one-shot chance at glory with no continues, no saves, no checkpoints and no quarter. There's also no "opening up" of levels in Aces of the Galaxy for later play. If you die in level seven, there's no going back to play previous levels a la carte.

That is pretty bone-headed if you ask me.

FightyF

Banned
soldat7 said:
That is pretty bone-headed if you ask me.

It's just like Mario and Sonic...I don't see what's wrong with that. SuperStarDustHD was also similar in that it didn't have continues...though you could play the levels you did beat.

Actually IIRC, it's just like Star Fox...I don't think it had continues either. I really can't remember since I was a pro at the SNES and N64 one and I rarely died. I had troubles fighting the boss but even then I just paused it and asked GAF (or rather Dave's SEGA Saturn multiplatform board).

If anyone starts an official Aces thread, you should probably add (StarFox in HD) to the title so it gets the attention it deserves.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
chun li's thighs said:
roogoo sounds strangly erotic

Roogoo sounds like a plate of pasta, tasty, tasty pasta......

I think I am going to have Italian for dinner tonight.

epmode

PrivateRyan said:
I hope so. Maybe it'll get Microsoft to reverse the ridiculous policy. Digital distribution = infinite shelf space

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/878/878952p1.html

IGN XBOX 360 Review of Roogoo

8.0 Presentation
Easy to navigate menus that keep the Roogoo feel, but the online options should include a party system so play can continue after one match.
8.0 Graphics
Nothing too fancy but what’s here works, especially when it comes to those cute little aliens. Few framerate drops don’t hurt much.
8.5 Sound
A soundtrack that sticks with the themes of the game very well. Roogoo succeeds in being effective in its audio delivery but not over-bearing or redundant.
9.0 Gameplay
The strategy that you’ll need to use changes throughout Roogoo but it’s always fun and exciting. Later levels will turn your brain to mush.
8.0 Lasting Appeal
Only 45 levels is actually a little shallow for an XBLA puzzler, but the multiplayer is fun despite its design flaws and the single-player, while short, is no cake walk.
Great OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average) See All Award Recipients

rating_ecaward.gif

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So, does anybody have impressions of either game yet, or is this going to be one of those apathy weeks?

Sean

Banned
Roogoo is AWESOME - one of my favorite XBLA games.

Very addictive, thought I would play it for just a few minutes but I unlocked it and now I'm on level 4-1. Don't ignore this game guys....

- Soothing music
- Nice colorful art style
- Simple controls (it's the two bumpers to rotate and the A button to speed things up mostly)
- They switch things up a lot.

Buy this game!! I fear it'll be another overlooked gem like Eets Chowdown.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sean said:
Roogoo is AWESOME - one of my favorite XBLA games.

Very addictive, thought I would play it for just a few minutes but I unlocked it and now I'm on level 4-1. Don't ignore this game guys....

- Soothing music
- Nice colorful art style
- Simple controls (it's the two bumpers to rotate and the A button to speed things up mostly)
- They switch things up a lot.

Buy this game!! I fear it'll be another overlooked gem like Eets Chowdown.

You know, this mighjt be one of the strongest weeks ever for the XBLA, stupid bloody apathy.

HoTHiTTeR

where the hell is the HUD in that Aces video? I couldn't tell wtf was going on when he was just sliding left to right and back again. :lol

DL'ed the demo of Aces. Pretty damn cool actually. Wonder why there are no boss battles, though. That really irks me. At least one or two? Otherwise I think they really nailed the feel and the graphics are pretty good, too.

RadarScope1 said:
DL'ed the demo of Aces. Pretty damn cool actually. Wonder why there are no boss battles, though. That really irks me. At least one or two? Otherwise I think they really nailed the feel and the graphics are pretty good, too.

Credits are fucking awesome.

They have those Ships captained by the local badguy (Humanoid Obliteration Drone, Commander Zaxres etc. etc.) While not bosses, they do take alot of hits and are worth alot of points. They were trying to emulate the UFO at the top of the screen in space invaders kinda feel. Big points, but you gotta ignore everything else to get him.

Aces of the Galaxy has nothing to do with the Aces of (Pacific, Europe etc. etc.) series. The name is the publishers decision, along with the amount of publicity (or lack thereof) for the game.

Full disclosure:
I know someone who worked on the game, take my opinion as you will.

Aaron

PedroLumpy said:
Full disclosure:
I know someone who worked on the game, take my opinion as you will.
Tell them to patch in level select. This game would be fantastic for a quick play before work, trying to top my current scores, but having to play through a whole nine levels just for my run to count takes way too long. That and the lack of boss fights are my only two real complaints.

Aaron said:
Tell them to patch in level select. This game would be fantastic for a quick play before work, trying to top my current scores, but having to play through a whole nine levels just for my run to count takes way too long. That and the lack of boss fights are my only two real complaints.

I haven't talked to him about the game for a little bit, but it's one of a couple things I'm gonna ask him about.

Wizpig

What to buy?

Rogoo or Aces?
Aces or Rogoo?

Damn it.
DAMN - IT.

Why are there some weeks full of Arcade shovelware and weeks like these with 2 great games?

Wizpig

If anyone wants to play Aces of the Galaxy CoOp online one of these days please send me a PM with your Gamertag.

[i'd say "just add me" but i've got 100 friends, so i have to delete some before i add you]

Top Bottom