• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why hasn't it been done? Standard game genres with a rhythm backbone

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Okay, I think we've all been in this kind of a situation before. We're playing a fun game, but there's a lull in the action. Maybe you're waiting for an event to happen. Maybe you're hanging about in a town. The game has a pretty neat soundtrack, and so you start moving your character or doing some attacks to the notes of the song playing the background.

Don't quite get what I mean?

Here's a snippet of Red Scarlet's 100% Super Metroid speed run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u22LpT-ocVU

Start watching around 4:10 and notice what she's doing while she's waiting for the spikes to eventually fall apart.

She starts playing a little rhythm game.

Now, I find myself doing this quite often in games, and every time I do it, I think "Why haven't designers capitalized on this instinct?" Now of course, yes, rhythm games are quite common. But why haven't rhythm games been integrated into other genres?

Example, start with a DMC-esque action game. Make attacks fairly instantaneous. Now, create an attack/combo system where your damage multiples if you time your attacks to the beat of some music. Essentially, you perform a very simple rhythm game to add punch to your attacks!

Or how about a music-based RPG? Instead of merely choosing spells and abilities from a menu, what if you chose an attack, did a simple rhythm game, and then the effectiveness of that ability is based off of the accuracy of your rhythm?

I think you get what I'm saying here. Why haven't developers experimented more with using rhythm as a gameplay mechanic in a bigger game, rather than building games focused solely on music? Patapon is the only game I can think of that's done something like this.

MGrant

ZealousD said:
Or how about a music-based RPG? Instead of merely choosing spells and abilities from a menu, what if you chose an attack, did a simple rhythm game, and then the effectiveness of that ability is based off of the accuracy of your rhythm?

Mother 3 does this. You attack to the beat of the music.

Also, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, to an extent.

Momar

aka Ryder
ZealousD said:
Example, start with a DMC-esque action game. Make attacks fairly instantaneous. Now, create an attack/combo system where your damage multiples if you time your attacks to the beat of some music. Essentially, you perform a very simple rhythm game to add punch to your attacks!

Still haven't played DMC4 but, isn't this kinda what DMC3 did for its combos? It wasn't to the beat of any music, but I found myself playing a sort of psuedo-rhythm game in my head to get the timing right on certain combos.

Man, this is an idea I've had at the back of my head, too. I really started thinking about it a lot with Jet Set Radio Future, as I'd often tap the "grind rail dance" button to the beat of whatever song was playing, and it got me thinking... what if games had that as a feature? You could be doing a combo and a little bonus modifier would pop up "ON BEAT x#" for every hit that was in the same tempo as the music.

Aeana

Mother 3 is kind of like this. You do combos when you press the A button in time with the music.

EDIT: Beaten. :O

ZealousD said:

P.N.03 is very close to doing this...
Also Patapon and Rez.

Gart

I think one of the tracks for F-Zero GX had a section where the music matched with a couple of speed boost in succession. Not sure if that was intentional or lucky coincidence but I vaguely remember the development saying something about wanting to incorperate what you're talking about. I guess it never made it in fully and that small section might be a piece left over. Can anyone confirm this or am I just imagining stuff?

beat

Sega1991 said:
Man, this is an idea I've had at the back of my head, too. I really started thinking about it a lot with Jet Set Radio Future, as I'd often tap the "grind rail dance" button to the beat of whatever song was playing, and it got me thinking... what if games had that as a feature? You could be doing a combo and a little bonus modifier would pop up "ON BEAT x#" for every hit that was in the same tempo as the music.
Yeah, for better or worse, JSRF's grind trick frequency was fixed, not matched to the beat of the song at the moment.

Speaking of fixed beats, though, Phantasy Star Online had the three hit combo where you had to hit on rhythm rather than just mash the button. I think that was mostly to hide modem lag, though.

Flunkie

Banned
Yoboman said:
pon pon pata pon
20080303.jpg

NotWii

Banned
Gart said:
I think one of the tracks for F-Zero GX had a section where the music matched with a couple of speed boost in succession. Not sure if that was intentional or lucky coincidence but I vaguely remember the development saying something about wanting to incorperate what you're talking about. I guess it never made it in fully and that small section might be a piece left over. Can anyone confirm this or am I just imagining stuff?
I've unlocked everything in that game and not noticed it.
And I love rhythm stuff... so I'd have to say it was coincidence.
Or maybe you had to be in a certain car to get to that point of the track in time for it to all connect.

Well rhythm game are fun, but I wouldn't want them to spread out in every damn game. I like to master the rhythm of the game, especially when I replay them, blasting through levels feels so nice, rhythm based mechanics would only slow me down and hurt the replay value.

I prefer when the music adapt to the game than the opposite. Exemple : Wind Waker's battles, Rez, Wipeout HD zone mode, etc...

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
ZealousD said:
yeah, i had this idea for a game years ago. i still wish i had the time, means and know how to make it happen.

NeXuSDK

Two words: Fable 2

What excites me the most about this game (probably) is the music integration in the combat system. That was their focus of their E3 07 presentation and I got to try it out. It basically evolves around the music building up, based on your combat. The music is meant to symbolise the fight, build tension and drama AND be used as a combat enhancer, if you fight correctly to the music.

What I tried at E3 was pretty convincing for an early build, but we'll see how it turns out, when it's released. Hopefully it will be as a hope...

Chao

Yeah, when I was a kid (and played the hell out of the few games I could afford) I used to do the same thing to kill time, I knew by heart what was going to happen on my games. It would be nice to see this introduced as a gameplay mechanic, I agree.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Play the Secret Agent Clank demo.

then delete that piece of crap immediately

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
RevenantKioku said:
Yeah, maybe this isn't a good idea after all.

Patapon's problems have nothing to do with its awesome rhythm based controls.

duckroll

I can't play rhythm games well at all. I'm really bad with beats and tones. If a game implemented it in a way that made it essential to master, I would never play it. I could never get combos in Mother 3, but at least the game is totally playable even if you ignore the entire system.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I would love a rhythm based fighting game, actually. It would be impossible to play in an arcade, but rhythm-based attacks and blocking would be kind of interesting. It might make the attacks too easy to predict, timing-wise, though.

MisterHero

Super Mario RPG used action commands (rhythm moves = more damage)

Mother 3 also does this as well.

I imagine they don't use this because it isn't ingrained in very many players' minds and the instincts are the more literal game mechanics.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
NeXuSDK said:
Two words: Fable 2

What excites me the most about this game (probably) is the music integration in the combat system. That was their focus of their E3 07 presentation and I got to try it out. It basically evolves around the music building up, based on your combat. The music is meant to symbolise the fight, build tension and drama AND be used as a combat enhancer, if you fight correctly to the music.

What I tried at E3 was pretty convincing for an early build, but we'll see how it turns out, when it's released. Hopefully it will be as a hope...

Nononono. That's not what I mean. That's just having a dynamic musical score. Zelda has done this for some time, and SSX Blur does this to a great effect as well. I'm talking about basing things like combat on a particular rhythm.

MC Safety said:
Def Jam Icon had rhythm elements.

And boy, did it ever suck.

That's not why it sucked though. Having the stages pulse and beat to the music was a great idea, it's just that the actual fighting system was rubbish.

Haunted One said:

This looks like the closest to what I mean.

Another idea I had would be a sort of Paparappa/Space Channel 5 system to boss battles. Take that action game example I had, and then have bosses somehow broadcast a series of notes, and then you have to follow. All the while you would be dodging attacks and stuff.

Speaking of Draglade....wasn't a sequel announced awhile back as being in the works since the first one at least met expectations? I want to think it was one of the old Famitsu news threads but I could easily be mistaken.

Jme

Haunted One said:

Man, I loved that game. I wish it was a bit more fleshed out though... Played it online for weeks, and then something more important came out and I haven't touched it since.

Top Bottom