• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sporepedia is Online

Sharp

SUPER UPDATE: Trial version, a.k.a. demo with 25% of the parts, is officially out now! Get it at this page, which includes links for the Mac and PC versions!

:D :D :D

Here's Sporepedia, which catalogs all the creatures players have created. 300,000+ creatures there already and growing ever-more-rapidly. If you have the demo and want to download a creature from Sporepedia into your editor, just download the thumbnail PNG and drag it into the editor!

Creature Creator Release Date: June 17th

Specs: See the post right below this one but basically if your computer cannot handle this game it probably cannot handle Solitaire either

Update 2:: Okay, there's a version of the free demo of the creature creator (same as the full version but with 25% of the parts) floating around the Internet. A lot of GAFers have it. They are making awesome things! On very low-spec rigs! But! They will not link you to a version of the upload because it's technically free content from a magazine you did not buy, so the magazine scan policy holds. If you want to be totally in the clear wait until the 17th to get the free version (or buy the full version if you are as enamored of it as GAF has been). Happy creatin'!

Update: It appears that some GAFers already have advance copies of the Creature Creator. Currently I know that Buttonbasher and Flynn are among them. Here is one of Flynn's creations...

Here are some of Buttonbasher's!

More sample creatures:
500000004843_lrg.png
500000004921_lrg.png
500000006182_lrg.png
500000004501_lrg.png
500000005023_lrg.png
500000010041_lrg.png
500000003881_lrg.png
500000016611_lrg.png

Some new creature creation videos:
Creature Creator Tutorial: Build
Creature Creator Tutorial: Paint
Creature Creator Tutorial: Test Drive

By popular request, some other Spore videos:
Spore: Overview Video
Cell Stage Video
Creature Stage Video
Tribal Stage Video

The Science Behind Spore

Note: All videos can be found at Spore's Youtube Profile.

Awesome space phase screenshot (sort of unrelated):
spacenewwebsite.jpg

Zzoram

This is the most significant thing I could find on the newly updated official website:

http://www.spore.com/what/specs_cc

* OS - Windows XP/Vista
* Processor - 2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
* Memory - XP: 512 MB RAM / Vista: 768 MB RAM
* Hard Drive - At least 300 MB of hard drive space for installation, plus additional space for created creatures. (190 MB for the Trial Edition)
* Video Card - A 128 MB Video Card, with support for Pixel Shader 2.0*

For computers using built-in graphics chipsets, the game requires at least:

* * Intel Integrated Chipset GMA 950
* * Dual 2.0GHz CPUs, or 1.7GHz Core 2 Duo, or equivalent

Supported Video Cards

ATI Radeon(TM) series

* 9500, 9600, 9800
* X300, X600, X700, X800, X850
* X1300, X1600, X1800, X1900, X1950
* 2400, 2600, 2900, 3650, 3850

NVIDIA GeForce series

* FX 5900, FX 5950
* 6200, 6500, 6600, 6800
* 7200, 7300, 7600, 7800, 7900, 7950
* 8400, 8500, 8600, 8800

Intel(R) Extreme Graphics

* GMA 950, GMA X3000, GMA X3100

Burger

Zzoram said:
This is the most significant thing I could find on the newly updated official website:

You forgot:

OS - Mac OS X 10.5.3 Leopard or higher
Processor - Intel Core Duo Processor
Memory - 1024 MB RAM
Hard Drive - At least 345 MB of hard drive space for installation, plus additional space for created creatures. (260 MB for the Trial Edition)
Video Card - ATI X1600 or NVidia 7300 GT with 128 MB of Video RAM, or Intel Integrated GMA X3100

This game will not run on PowerPC (G3/G4/G5) based Mac systems (PowerMac).

* Intel Integrated Chipset GMA X3100
* Dual 2.0GHz CPUs, or 1.7GHz Core 2 Duo, or equivalent

Supported Video Cards

ATI Radeon(TM) series
X1600, X1900, HD 2400, HD 2600

NVIDIA GeForce series
7300, 7600, 8600, 8800

GMA X3100
This game will not run on the GMA 950 class of integrated video cards.

Zzoram

Burger said:
You forgot:

OS - Mac OS X 10.5.3 Leopard or higher
Processor - Intel Core Duo Processor
Memory - 1024 MB RAM
Hard Drive - At least 345 MB of hard drive space for installation, plus additional space for created creatures. (260 MB for the Trial Edition)
Video Card - ATI X1600 or NVidia 7300 GT with 128 MB of Video RAM, or Intel Integrated GMA X3100

This game will not run on PowerPC (G3/G4/G5) based Mac systems (PowerMac).

* Intel Integrated Chipset GMA X3100
* Dual 2.0GHz CPUs, or 1.7GHz Core 2 Duo, or equivalent

Supported Video Cards

ATI Radeon(TM) series
X1600, X1900, HD 2400, HD 2600

NVIDIA GeForce series
7300, 7600, 8600, 8800

GMA X3100
This game will not run on the GMA 950 class of integrated video cards.

Fixed.

Apparently system requirements are higher for Intel Macs than a PC.

Alex

I'm seeing a "Spore Creature Creator" on EBGames. What is that, exactly? Is it something that wont be in the main release?

Sharp

Alex said:
I'm seeing a "Spore Creature Creator" on EBGames. What is that, exactly? Is it something that wont be in the main release?
No, EA is greedy and is trying to sell the creature creator separately, even though it will be in the main game (I think you get a rebate on the main game if you buy the creature creator though). There is also a free demo with only 25% of the content, which is what anyone sensible will get, since you won't be missing out on anything when you get the main game anyway.

Sporepedia said:
How do you see one of these Creatures in your Spore Creature Creator? Right Click on the thumbnail image of the creature. Save the image to your desktop. Drag the saved image from your desktop into the Spore Creature Creator. Voila! The Creature is in your game.

That shit is HOT.

Sharp

The space phase has always looked like an actual game. More relevantly, Civ mode is looking really good now that Soren Johnson has worked on it for awhile. At this point, having watched the videos, I'd say even tribal is up there; the only mode that still looks tech demo-ish is creature, and I'll probably be having too much fun exploring to care.

Flynn

Fragamemnon said:
Wow that last screenshot actually looks like an actual game, and not a glorfied tech demo meeting the old Cootie! board game. Hope springs eternal!

I detect butt-hurt.

Anyway, this little tip on the Sporepedia sounds nifty.

How do you see one of these Creatures in your Spore Creature Creator? Right Click on the thumbnail image of the creature. Save the image to your desktop. Drag the saved image from your desktop into the Spore Creature Creator. Voila! The Creature is in your game.

Sharp

legend166 said:
People need to start getting hyped up for this game again. Going to be so awesome.
Given that every time you create a video the "upload to Youtube" option is given, people aren't going to be able to avoid it for much longer. Pretty clever strategy on EA's part.

Teknoman

legend166 said:
People need to start getting hyped up for this game again. Going to be so awesome.

I've been hyped since its announcement and havent come down since.

Btw are we all going to section off and make a GAF universe? Or are most going to just go open space?

Sharp

If I understand correctly, we can just tag all our content with "NeoGAF" and we can populate our universe with it if we so choose.

Teknoman

Sharp said:
If I understand correctly, we can just tag all our content with "NeoGAF" and we can populate our universe with it if we so choose.

Works for me. Now I just have to figure out what my race of creatures will be called/ planet/ vehicle names.

Flynn said:
I detect butt-hurt.

Even since he left Firaxis I've wondering if Soren can save us from Wil Wright's "simulation without game" problem he has. Not a big fan of Wright's latest works, to say the very least.

Of course I'm in the huge minority in that regard. Everyone else seems to think that making virtual people die in their own filth is gaming.

Sharp

Fragamemnon said:
Even since he left Firaxis I've wondering if Soren can save us from Wil Wright's "simulation without game" problem he has. Not a big fan of Wright's latest works, to say the very least.

Of course I'm in the huge minority in that regard. Everyone else seems to think that making virtual people die in their own filth is gaming.
The Sims was pretty revolutionary, whether or not you liked it, but I don't think Will Wright actually had a hand in The Sims 2 or any of the myriad expansions except possibly the first. For the last five or six years, he's been working on Spore. Anyway, the latest Spore civilization phase videos show just how strong Soren's influence was--this Spore overview video and "the science of Spore" both have nice footage of it. Obviously it's not as deep as Civilization IV or anything, but it's clearly much more of a game than The Sims ever was, and I say that as someone who really enjoyed The Sims.

it runs on intels integrated graphics!? That would be awesome, so I can create some creatures at university on my notebook.

Those creatures are so awesome...I'm really looking forward to this

Zzoram

Why did Soren leave Firaxis? Civilization IV is a spectacular game, and his influence will be missed by Civ fans.

On the bright side, it makes me more positive about the Civ stage of Spore.

Zzoram

Caesar III said:
it runs on intels integrated graphics!? That would be awesome, so I can create some creatures at university on my notebook.

Those creatures are so awesome...I'm really looking forward to this

It'll run on the newer Intel Integrated, but I'm sure that's at low settings, low resolution, with the fancy stuff all off. Still, if it runs reasonably well, it'll help them sell a bajillion more copies. The latest X3000 and X3100 integrated graphics packaged with most Core 2 Duo systems are actually decent enough to play Half-Life 2 at 800x600 on low to medium settings >30fps I believe.

Zzoram said:
It'll run on the newer Intel Integrated, but I'm sure that's at low settings, low resolution, with the fancy stuff all off. Still, if it runs reasonably well, it'll help them sell a bajillion more copies. The latest X3000 and X3100 integrated graphics packaged with most Core 2 Duo systems are actually decent enough to play Half-Life 2 at 800x600 on low to medium settings >30fps I believe.
I've got a Thinkpad X61T with X3100, so this would be real great, like I said. Sure thing I can not use high settings, therefore I've got a powerfull desktop PC ;)

Wait, WHAT? they generate the creatures out of those tiny PNG graphics?

Sharp

Caesar III said:
I've got a Thinkpad X61T with X3100, so this would be real great, like I said. Sure thing I can not use high settings, therefore I've got a powerfull desktop PC ;)

Wait, WHAT? they generate the creatures out of those tiny PNG graphics?
Gotta love demoscene programmers.

Sharp

Farnack said:
Great. Where's the game?
If you're actually asking when it's coming out and not just trying to be overly cute, September, with the creature creator coming out on June 17th.

Zzoram

Sharp said:
If you're actually asking when it's coming out and not just trying to be overly cute, September, with the creature creator coming out on June 17th.

It's also been content complete since April, with only tweaks to the interface, online community, and giving it more objectives to make it more "gamey" being done since then.

They also decided to allow you to start playing in any of the "phases" so you can skip ones you don't like.

Sharp

Zzoram said:
It's also been content complete since April, with only tweaks to the interface, online community, and giving it more objectives to make it more "gamey" being done since then.

They also decided to allow you to start playing in any of the "phases" so you can skip ones you don't like.
That's not quite true. If you look at videos from February or so, and then at videos now, the game is distinctly more polished (lots of clipping in the NASA video, for example), so there was and still is clearly a lot of Q&A going on behind the scenes. And the "every mode" decision was made a long time ago. But yeah, it is very nearly ready, which is pretty exciting for me since it's pretty much the game I've wanted since I was about eight.

Top Bottom