• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Wii UBISoft Quality UBISoft Wii Game From UBISoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

AceBandage said:
Looks like the horrible Farcry port.

Damn...I knew it was bad from seeing the review screens on IGN...but good lord. Thats just... I cant even think of a word to describe how horrible that looked.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Death_Born said:
OF COURSE! Why didn't I realize that earlier?

It's obvious why Ubisoft continues to make such crappy games. They haven't unlocked the second Gamecube!
agrajag said:
Well, we can assume it is at least twice as powerful as Gamecube, since it is two Gamecubes taped together. rolleyes.gif

edit: beaten, damn

I'm not sure how either of these are appropriate responses to my post. My criticism was to Ubisoft's lack of effort, not the Wii itself

Teknoman said:
Damn...I knew it was bad from seeing the review screens on IGN...but good lord. Thats just... I cant even think of a word to describe how horrible that looked.

Give it a rent. I assure you that 5 minutes in, you'll want to gouge your eyes out with a fork.

Pachael

Sharp said:
Metroid Prime 3 and Mario Galaxy were both 60fps, so that's not really a great argument.

And yet, posters expect 60fps for all games, or they won't even consider them. And on the flip side, give praise to terrible games that maintain 60fps.

Well, I do the latter sometimes ;p

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Whatever, that looks like a GCN shooter if not a little better. Taking into account he Wii has no shaders, then thats what you should expect from it.

Adumaha said:
358o391.gif

:lol

This port has been delayed for almost a year now. Good to see the extra time was well spent!

Are the Xbox BiA games backwards compatible with the 360 yet? =\

Edit - PSP port that came out two years ago;

brothers-in-arms-psp-20060830032326229_640w.jpg

godhandiscen said:
Whatever, that looks like a GCN shooter if not a little better. Taking into account he Wii has no shaders, then thats what you should expect from it.

Umm, what?
The Wii can do shadders...
It just can't do it using DirectX...

godhandiscen said:
If your definition of a shader is reliant on Direct X... then you're wrong.

A pixel shader, is a color combiner. The Wii has what is called TEV (texture environment), a pixel shader. Fixed function, therefore not nearly as programmable, but to say there is no pixel shader is a lie.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
It looks ridiculous.

Look, all I'm asking is that devs TRY. Do you see Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime, Mario Galaxy, and RE4?

Wii games need to look like THAT instead of like a World War II version of freaking GOLDENEYE. You'd think these guys would realize that even though the Wii is less powerful than the 360 and PS3, their games should not look worse than their last gen Gamecube efforts.

But what ACTUALLY happens is that Ubisoft and other moronic developers/publishers treat the Wii like it's the PSP's graphically retarded little brother.

If your game looks worse than a last-gen launch title, you fail. Period.

Htown said:
But what ACTUALLY happens is that Ubisoft and other moronic developers/publishers treat the Wii like it's the PSP's graphically retarded little brother.

Don't worry, it's all part of the plan. Blue Ocean shall reign supreme!

Either that or we get flooded.....with crap.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
The funny part is that they actually DID try in the beginning. :(

red-steel-20060928055014103_640w.jpg

red-steel-20060928055015400_640w.jpg

red-steel-20060914092819829_640w.jpg

Red Steel - A rushed, flawed launch game that was still quite enjoyable and looked great at many times during the game. And yet, to this day, looks mind-blowingly better than anything else the company has put out on the console. I wouldn't be suprised if the development costs of Red Steel (reported 12.5 million, they had to port the Unreal 2.5 engine to Wii themselves) cost more than all of the rest of Ubisoft's wii game development costs combined. :(

Flaws included, I found Red Steel enjoyable, and could actually imagine what this little white box could do to the FPS genre (which I consider stale as hell).

vanguardian1

Btw, from my understanding, the Wii's 2 TEV units have and older "fixed" pixel shader model, whereas the xbox had a "programmable" pixel shader. I do know that the TEV's can be adjusted themselves to mimic those functions, but not natively.

grandjedi6 said:
No those were still bullshots

What do I have to do, get out my old digital camera and take a pic on my 27" sdtv? sheesh.

EDarkness

grandjedi6 said:
No those were still bullshots

I thought the game looked great in motion and pretty close to those screens. Even friends of mine who played it (and they like 360 and PS3 graphics) thought it looked great in certain spots. I'm really looking forward to the next game as I think they can take it to the next level.

vanguardian1

I'm not really a fan of conspiracy theories, but I do have to wonder if Microsoft and/or Sony have some influential leeway with Ubisoft and their levels of support for the Wii.

Dante

vanguardian1 said:
I'm not really a fan of conspiracy theories, but I do have to wonder if Microsoft and/or Sony have some leeway with Ubisoft and their levels of support.

oh god.....

vanguardian1 said:
I'm not really a fan of conspiracy theories, but I do have to wonder if Microsoft and/or Sony have some influential leeway with Ubisoft and their levels of support for the Wii.

Not at all.

My theory is that Ubisoft likes money, so they make shotty quick cash in games for the system. That is why Raving Rabbits has its now 3rd in the series so soon.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Uh, the issue of shaders is really irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that the best Wii/GC games look MILES ahead of this garbage, even if it's not a powerhouse like the other 2.

vanguardian1

Linkzg said:
Not at all.

My theory is that Ubisoft likes money, so they make shotty quick cash in games for the system. That is why Raving Rabbits has its now 3rd in the series so soon.

If they wanted money, they would be supporting all of their success stories, not just 1 of them.

Oblivion said:
Uh, the issue of shaders is really irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that the best Wii/GC games look MILES ahead of this garbage, even if it's not a powerhouse like the other 2.
Why is everyone comparing games made by tech-focused, Nintendo-exclusive teams like Factor 5 and Retro with games made by mid-level multiplatform teams?

Granted, Wii games can (and do) look much better than this, but the teams capable of pushing the hardware are generally in direct partnership with the people who designed the hardware, and are intimately familiar with how to maximize it.

Some of you guys are expecting Rogue Squadron or RE4 out of every average game that comes along, when in reality the average GC/Xbox/PS2 game didn't even approach those levels... you're just going to wind up disappointed every time.

farnham

Banned
1. this actually doesnt look half bad
2. gearbox is one of the few devs that actually care about wii (see their other game samba de amigo)

ivysaur12

Banned
farnham said:
1. this actually doesnt look half bad
2. gearbox is one of the few devs that actually care about wii (see their other game samba de amigo)

Is Gearbox really making this piece of shit? :-\

szaromir

Banned
I don't get the hate. BiA is a quality game and as far as I remember BiA on Xbox didn't look better than those screens.

bdouble

Lightning said:
I love it when Wii fans complain about graphic quality. The Wii system is all about it's unique control system, I couldn't give a crap about the graphics when playing Wii games.

I don't care about graphics in general but with the Wii it's more laughable.

You complain because its not even an honest effort. Games should be on par with RE4 and MP3. Those were on the GC basically and we are now in the 2nd year of the Wii's lifecycle and they can't even reach those standards.

There is a point where graphics don't matter and at the bare minimum I expect something to be clear, no 64 fog, crisp looking, a lot more detailed gun models (come on) and all games these days have some decent lighting this game doesn't even have circle shadows.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
szaromir said:
I don't get the hate. BiA is a quality game and as far as I remember BiA on Xbox didn't look better than those screens.

My question is... WHY THE FUCK ARE THEY PORTING A 3(?) YEAR OLD GAME.

Tremis

This man does his research.
25ivos5.gif

excellent work. :lol Ubi threads are quickly catching up to Nibris threads for hilarious gifs.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
rohlfinator said:
Some of you guys are expecting Rogue Squadron or RE4 out of every average game that comes along, when in reality the average GC/Xbox/PS2 game didn't even approach those levels... you're just going to wind up disappointed every time.

Er, there were a metric TON of PS2 games made by B and even C teams that didn't look this bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom