• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trauma Center: Under The Knife 2 Official Thread of "Wait, this is out?!!"

Costanza

Banned
51SqV1IUoxL._SS400_.jpg

GUILT is no more. Dr. Derek Stiles and Nurse Angie Thompson faced humanity’s greatest threat and triumphed. Now, in the aftermath, they find themselves in unknown territory, forced to deal with the disastrous consequences of the killer virus. Join them as they scramble to address questions left unanswered and put an end to the mystery behind the disease.

Game Features

* True sequel to the award-winning original Trauma Center: Under the Knife game
* Scrub back in to your DS and experience the tactile stylus-based experience that made the original a hit.
* Confront the aftermath of the devastating GUILT epidemic in a brand new story.
* New "easy play" mode, improved tool utility, and clearer directions.

Screens
:

trauma-center-under-the-knife-2-20080702105930070_640w.jpg

trauma-center-under-the-knife-2-20080702105931851_640w.jpg

trauma-center-under-the-knife-2-20080702105933632_640w.jpg

Reviews:

IGN - 8.4

1UP - B
Gamespot - 8.5
Gamespy - 4.5/5
Nintendo Power - 8.5
----------------------

So yeah, this really released out of nowhere. Anyone get it today?

I really want it, especially to show my support for this series. I just can't afford it right now.

If it were on Wii I would have found the money and made it day one. But I didnt enjoy the last DS one as much. Maybe Atlus will do a Wii port, but I doubt it after what happened to poor New Blood.

Darkpen

Banned
I thought about getting it, but I'll collect this along with FFIV that's coming out at the end of the month :)

Hurrah for DS revival :D

Costanza

Banned
Takeda Kenshi said:
Part of me says 'BUY THIS NOW,' and another part of me says 'Wait for the potential Wii port.'

So damn hard to decide. :(
I don't think they'll port this, but they'll probably release another new installment for the Wii this winter.

JEKKI

off topic, how is TC New Blood for the Wii??

I got that game in a deal last year but still have it sealed, and it's that backlog that is preventing me from getting Under the Knife 2 at the moment...

loved the first one btw, I lent it to a friend and never got it back tho -_-

Doytch

Someone tell me if it has a stupid sci-fi story. I finished the first one, but it was getting really irritating near the end.

JEKKI

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Awesome

Better than SO in just about every way. A somewhat weaker story/ending but thats about it.
SO = Second Opinion??

isnt that game the exact same as the first DS game tho???

or did they add anything to it?

C.T.

JEKKI said:
SO = Second Opinion??

You asked about New blood though, right? (Yes, SO, the first Wii TC is a port with some new chapters.)

I have no idea how this slipped under the radar so bad. I bet 95% of GAF has no idea this even came out.

Picking it up later today.

Part of me says 'BUY THIS NOW,' and another part of me says 'Wait for the potential Wii port.'

So damn hard to decide. :(

Buy it now. Don't forget New Blood sold poorly, so we may not see the franchise again on Wii.

If this game sells badly, then it might be the last we see of the series altogether.

JEKKI said:
SO = Second Opinion??

yes, SO = Second Opinion

Second Opinion was a total remake of the first DS game with an awesome additional chapter on the end.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Is it ok to get this if I didnt get part 1 or the wii versions? Seems like a cool game....or is 1 pretty good too because I'm sure it's cheap used.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Grah, I love Trauma Center, I can't believe I didn't realize it was coming out. :'(

I still need to beat New Blood too, god dammit.

EazyB

Banned
Gunna pick it up for my girlfriend today. She loved the Wii version even though it was she found it pretty hard. Is this one just as challenging?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Lost interest when I saw that it was DS only.

I never really got into the first game on the DS. I really wanted to like it, but something about the controls irked me. Didn't stop me from getting Second Opinion on the Wii, which I thought was GLORIOUS and was glued to all the way through the ending.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
_Alkaline_ said:
I have no idea how this slipped under the radar so bad. I bet 95% of GAF has no idea this even came out.

Picking it up later today.

Buy it now. Don't forget New Blood sold poorly, so we may not see the franchise again on Wii.

If this game sells badly, then it might be the last we see of the series altogether.

Do we know it sold poorly? Did Atlus release a statement saying sales were bad and unsatsifactory?

EazyB said:
Gunna pick it up for my girlfriend today. She loved the Wii version even though it was she found it pretty hard. Is this one just as challenging?
According to 1up FM, there's some form of new Easy mode.

Haunted

I literally said "Wait, this is out?!!" when reading the first half of the thread title.

Considering importing, but I dunno if I want to go back to the DS after the excellent Wii Traume Centre title.

Cuu

Monroeski said:
Lost interest when I saw that it was DS only.

I never really got into the first game on the DS. I really wanted to like it, but something about the controls irked me. Didn't stop me from getting Second Opinion on the Wii, which I thought was GLORIOUS and was glued to all the way through the ending.

I'm kind of the same way. I enjoyed both, but I enjoyed New Blood much more. Co-op play is amazing. Me and my friend had a blast playing through the campaign.

DS multiplayer wouldn't work as well because there isn't a constant marker that could be sent as to what your friend is doing, or is close to doing because you have to pick the stylus up. It'd have to split what you two do, but one of the best parts about the Wii version is talking between yourselves and choosing who does what.

Llyranor

I loved the first game. The unforgiving difficulty was a huge appeal, and dual-wielding styli was pretty fun. I'm in.

HK-47 said:
Do we know it sold poorly? Did Atlus release a statement saying sales were bad and unsatsifactory?

It sold horribly in Japan. Very low numbers. It sold around 30K in its first month in the US, so all in all i would say it hasn't got near 100K, unlike Second Opinion which I believe managed over 300K WW.

Costanza

Banned
I got it.

So far I've just been skipping the story, which is filled with ridiculously long scenes and is mostly uninteresting (much like the previous games), but the few operations I've done have been pretty awesome.

Firestorm

HK-47 said:
I remember seeing low numbers.
I also remember it launching a week after Mario Galaxy.

Caelestis

Eccocid said:
Why Kazuma Kaneko is making caharcter design for this game but not for Persona? :(
The design is not made by Kaneko, but by Soejima. He is the same guy who is doing character design for Persona now...

Does anyone know if the general difficulty is the same as the first game? I'm hoping the "Easy play" mode is just an option for newbies and the game isn't dumbed down all-around.

Played a few episodes

This game is definitely more talky than Under the Knife, about in line with New Blood, but without Atlus' surprisingly good voice acting. The presentation is understandably a step down, but they do the best with what they have.

I like that the surgeries have adopted the Wii's style and make you realize that the first DS game is a bit of a mess in comparison. I do, as of right now, prefer the first DS game's tool selection, though. I can't put my finger on it, but it feels more awkward now. I'll probably get used to it, though, and it might just be shaking off the cobwebs of the DS control.

Story is...eh, so far. I really liked New Blood's, this seems kind of Second Verse, Same as the First. Gameplay, at least so far, is just as good as it has ever been.

Warning to Trauma Center vets: Tutorials are still annoying, Angie is twice as annoying. She doesn't speak everything, just key parts, but there are decidedly more "key parts".

Angie: Use the drain.
Angie: Use the scalpel.
Angie: Use the forceps.
Angie: Use the forceps.
Angie: Use the gel.
Angie: Use the ultrasound.

It can get a bit maddening, but she doesn't do that more than once an operation.

So far, I'd say it's a good sequel to the DS game but it's hard to shake the step down it is from New Blood in presentation and tool selection.

Costanza

Banned
Little Green Yoda said:
Does anyone know if the general difficulty is the same as the first game? I'm hoping the "Easy play" mode is just an option for newbies and the game isn't dumbed down all-around.
Easy, Normal and Hard options

Eccocid

Sash said:
The design is not made by Kaneko, but by Soejima. He is the same guy who is doing character design for Persona now...

But i remember reading his name on some websites that he had made the designs.

Anyway why he is not making designs for Persona games anymore?
I love Soejima's art very much actually the portrait arts in P2 were great( infact better than the character art drawings of Kaneko)
But i love his designs more. :( what he is up to lately?

This is the only series I'm pumped to play. I had no idea there was a DS sequel in development. Gonna pick it up while I'm out tonight.

So awesome.

Caelestis

Eccocid said:
But i remember reading his name on some websites that he had made the designs.

Anyway why he is not making designs for Persona games anymore?
I love Soejima's art very much actually the portrait arts in P2 were great( infact better than the character art drawings of Kaneko)
But i love his designs more. :( what he is up to lately?
Perhaps the site was wrong. If you look at the screens for this game and at the in game portraits of characters in P3 the style is the same. As for Kaneko, I believe he said the direction that Persona was heading to wasn't in his style. I guess he is working on SMT4, but who knows.

Amazon still hasn't shipped my TC:UtK2 pre-order. I bet it will take a while for me to get it. =\

NichM

Banned
Sash said:

It's actually neither of them, but Masayuki Doi. He's handled character designs for the TC series since Second Opinion.

I played it by other means and I definitely plan to buy it or receive it as a gift. The first one was too hard for me so I gave up quickly but this one I played for over an hour and thought "gee that was fun"

Everyone buy it =D

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Mr. Spinnington said:
THOSE WHO DO NOT BUY, DO NOT DESERVE TO HAVE A DS

why because we like playing GAMES on the DS not these education titles?

I hate these and the Ace Attorney type games WAYYYYYYY to much reading for a game. If I wanted a book I would pick one up.. Not knocking your choice I just miss you know games...

Volcynika

Dorfdad said:

I hate these and the Ace Attorney type games WAYYYYYYY to much reading for a game. If I wanted a book I would pick one up.. Not knocking your choice I just miss you know games...

You're calling Trauma Center an education title,, which kinda doesn't make sense. Besides, you could just skip the reading and go to the many operations in the game.

Dorfdad said:

Yeah, after playing this game everybody could extract a tumor....

What the fuck has this game of educational?...

Do you think what you see in this game has any resemblance with real medicine?

This game (series) has to be with precision and mental agility, is more a puzzle/ability game than any other of those educational game....

And your PW hate dusgust me, sell your DS right now....,if you have one...

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Maybe Educationware is a bad word... It's just not my type of games. You guys can dig them but to say because we do not like a set game type that we should sell off the DS is crazy!

I mean there are people here who HATE Metal Gear and Final Fantasy should they sell there consoles?!?

Just not my type of game...Plus my A.D.D kicks in I get little time for gaming and hate having to read long dialogs in games..

Top Bottom