• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've made a breaththrough - Classic Mega Man

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I felt the same way, I don't think I could never go back to the old playing style of the MM games since I played the X series, especially when playing the games with ZERO. Its like x5 harder then MMX.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Himuro said:
After learning how to play them the correct way I found MM1 to be fucking easy.

MM2, can be difficult at times. Heatman's stage had some of the best platforming I've ever seen in the series.

Well the whole MM series and MMX series was all about paper/rock/scissors, I just think MMX series made the game a bit harder then using the same formula even though it did use it.

stuminus3

The rock / paper / scissors gameplay of the original Mega Man games are both their blessing, and their curse.

They aren't pick up 'n' play titles like Contra or something, I think that's why some people have such difficulty with them. Some people get a kick out of the experimentation that comes with trial and error. Some people don't.

ToxicAdam

I still don't understand how people got past that mini-boss on MM1. The robot that comes in pieces and reassembles?

I was damn good at NES games (could beat GnG, Blaster Master, Battletoads etc.) and could not get past that part. In fact, I only had one friend to do it (and he couldn't replicate it every time).

linkboy

Ranger X

ToxicAdam said:
I still don't understand how people got past that mini-boss on MM1. The robot that comes in pieces and reassembles?

I was damn good at NES games (could beat GnG, Blaster Master, Battletoads etc.) and could not get past that part. In fact, I only had one friend to do it (and he couldn't replicate it every time).

The only place i might die in Megaman. I can beat it without being hit though.

Teppic

ToxicAdam said:

I played that part recently and thought it was much easier than I remebered. Pretty hard, but harder than Ghost n Goblins? No way. I could barley get past the second stage in that game and never completed it. Although not completing it had more to do with the amount of time it took me because of all the dying, not because it was impossible.

MoxManiac

ToxicAdam said:

It's not that hard. He reassembles in the exact same pattern every time, so just learn the jump pattern and he's easy.

Enk

makes good threads.
Congrats Mr. Himu for learning to appreciate what made the classics so fun. Now imagine playing those games without any prior knowledge of Mega Man X or Zero beforehand.

Next thing you should try after you finish the series is the one life runthroughs. Give yourself a couple of quick warmups and try to see how far you can get on one life until you meet your fatal end. Energy tanks and weapon weakness are fair game but in the later games there's no item shop usages (forcing you to collect the E-Tanks when you find them). Doing this recently has given me a new way to appreciate (and hate) the attention to the level designs in the game and it makes you use your special items more in fear of sudden death.

Here's my order of the games I found most difficult in the one life runthroughs:

Mega Man 3 (fuck Spark Man's platforming and Snake Man's life draining stage)
Mega Man 7 NES (up yours Turbo Man and your well crafted, multilayered stage)
Mega Man 6 (fuck lack of item drops and reliance of spikes)
Mega Man 2
Mega Man 1
Mega Man 5
Mega Man 4

Can't wait to do this with the first five MMX games.

The Hermit

The moment I saw the thread it remided me about your Shemnue thread. :lol

But you are very right, I could beat most of the robots in the X and Zero series using the charged Mega Buster and that´s it.
Then, when I first played MM the first master robot I picked up was Elecman... :lol

Also, MM became SO much more enjoyable after you realize that you CAN use your weapons outside the boss fight!

So welcome to the welcome party of MM9! :D

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Mega Man Network Transmission. I was trying to play it like the GBA games, and got destroyed countless time. When it finally snapped that this is classic mega man re-coated with a fragment of the touches in battle network, everything fell into place. The first time I tried this I beat gutsman and quit because it is so damned similar to the original games, and they aren't my favorite. Since I beat mega man 1 last week and played through most of 2, I find that the game is a hell of a lot easier now if I play it like those.

Mega Man still fails for no wall climb or dash. :/ The game is a little less hardcore when you upgrade the attack of the mega buster. The enemies actually die from it and I can manage to S rank the viruses with a charge shot and a few regular blasts.

The battle network games are still leagues better though. This doesn't suck as much as I thought it did.

Himuro said:
There's nothing to "get" in GTAIV.

Agreed. That's a different topic though.

Also, quickman's stage with no time stopper, ftl.

Himuro said:
After learning how to play them the correct way I found MM1 to be fucking easy.

MM2, can be difficult at times. Heatman's stage had some of the best platforming I've ever seen in the series.

No it doesn't. Just use the special item and fly past that part.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I actually understand this.... but in reverse. I used to play Megaman X like classic megaman games... but I realize now that the X titles give you the ability to be incredibly agile with the boost, wall grip, and things like the lightsabers, and you can play it almost like a street fighter... fast and furious.

The Hermit

After beating MM 1 and getting into Wily´s Forstress in 2 and 3, I´ve decided to play MM8 and I was surprised at how SLOW the game was compared to the NES games.

I´ve beated the FrostMan with little effort, all moves were telegraphed and even his jump was slow as hell... the music is awesome though.

Tain

I've been pretty interested in messing with the original series, lately. Lots on my plate at the moment (MSX Metal Gear, Trauma Center 2), but I'll get around to it sooner or later.

Always nice to see threads like this.

Mamesj

Banned
Awesome impressions Himuro.

I'm not nearly as into the Mega Man series (haven't played anything past Mega Man 3 besides the arcade game) but I picked up Mega Man Anniversary for the PS2 yesterday. I haven't played these games since i was about 8 or so-- they haven't aged a day! Still incredibly fun and the design is perfect. I remember being blown away by screens of Bubble Man's stage in Nintendo Power...well, the sprite work in MM2 remains some of the best on the NES.

I dove right into Mega Man 2:
-I got tons of 1UP drops in Leaf Man and Metal Man's stages. I remember that happening once in a blue moon before (and it would always fall into a pit lol)

-the stages are shorter than I remember

-I can't believe I could handily destroy MM1-3 when I was younger...the game is kicking my ass (but it hurts so good.)

-can't wait to play more...I may have to temporarily own a Wii to play Mega Man 9.

after reading your thoughts from the MM9 thread and now onto your renaissance playthroughs of nes MM, I'm really interested to hear your thoughts on MM3.

Enk

makes good threads.
RockmanWhore said:
Charge Man?

There is no Charge Man in MM2, there is one in MM5 and the level kicks ass :mad:

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=nOI6DoTlXfs

While I agree that the effect of a moving train is nice, the stage is possibly the easiest in all of the classic Mega Mans (next to Drill Man and Skull Man's). Take away the locomotion effect and all it is is just running foward, climb a ladder or two, and defeating a few easy enemy types. No platforming or puzzles involved. At least Charge Man was one of the more difficult of Mega Man V's simple boss lineup.

lyre

zyxwvu4321 said:
Crash/Clash man.
010508.png

Himuro said:
What is that guys name in MM2! His name starts with C! I forgot his name because he's such an easy boss. I get his name mixed up with Charge Man from Mm5.

Crash man.

Dude, 2 is fun. 3 is so easy I just beat it without a gameover screen. 4, there is a HEAVY difficulty increase, I thought. Maybe it's because I haven't played 4 as much, so I don't know what to do.

Enk

makes good threads.
vas_a_morir said:
Crash man.

Dude, 2 is fun. 3 is so easy I just beat it without a gameover screen. 4, there is a HEAVY difficulty increase, I thought. Maybe it's because I haven't played 4 as much, so I don't know what to do.

Really? I thought the exact opposite. MM3 I thought was the most difficult in my one life runthroughs due to some tricky platforming, and MM4 was the easiest of the Mega Mans because most of the stages are just gimmes.

The Leaf Shield is a defensive tool.

For exemple, in the rail-platform section of Crash Man's level, you can just stay on the platform and activate it. The enemy will come to you but will get busted by the Leaf Shield.

It's also useful against those egg enemies too, the little birds will come to you, activate the shield before they touch you and stop for a second, you'll get tons of bonuses.

But I prefer the Star and Skull Shield of MM4 and 5, they just around you until it kills something. In MM2 you have to stay immobile which kinda sucks. The shield in MM7 is pretty cool too, as you kill enemies, it degrades itself, giving you less protection as you go.

Also even Capcom fucks up with Crash/Clash :

Japanese version :
svtlxl.jpg

American Version :
vx251y.jpg

MoxManiac said:
I can't play Crash Man's stage now without this popping into my head :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdzjVnH9YoY

This is amazing. Thank you!

I'm so glad to see all the megaman 8-bit love up in this forum nowadays. Seriously, those games are perfect, except for one thing: PLEASE REFILL MY WEAPONS WHEN I DIE. It doesn't add challenge, it adds annoyance. In Megaman 8 at least (I played it in my mega collection yesterday) they recharge your weapons.

EDIT: what the fuck:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuIB4jshjO0&feature=related

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Himuro said:
Magnet Man. Fucking MAGNET MAN. OOMGGGG :D :D :D
This is like someone just discovering Darth Vader :lol :lol congrats though.

ag-my001

^^^First stage I always play when I pick up MM3. Great music, great boss, great platforming with the blocks, and a perfect introduction to ProtoMan.

ToxicAdam said:

Back when I played Mega Man 1 on Nes, I was in my notch mode, which was to beat a game by hook or crook. But after watching some of the videos on Youtube...wow, that is a hard boss.

I think the older games just have a slightly different play style and require you to utilize the weapons earned from boss battles, whereas in the X games you could sort of just still finish the game still using nothing but the default weapon.

It's sort of like playing through original Zelda with the wooden sword. Now imagine if the only way to beat or damage Gannon was with the Magic Sword or Silver arrows...you'd have no choice.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
MoxManiac said:
I can't play Crash Man's stage now without this popping into my head :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdzjVnH9YoY

O_O

What...what the heck IS that?

I will never look at Crash Man the same way again.

RockmanWhore said:
But I prefer the Star and Skull Shield of MM4 and 5, they just around you until it kills something.

My favourite shield weapon in the series is the Star Crash. Unlike the other shields, which either disappear or are thrown when you move, you can run around and jump while still maintaining the Star Crash. It's a life-saver in Crystal Man's stage, I'll say that.

Himuro said:
Magnet Man. Fucking MAGNET MAN. OOMGGGG :D:D:D

One of the best Mega Man tunes, by far. :D The only one in Mega Man 3 I like more is Snake Man.

Aeana

Himuro said:
I don't think the music in MM3 is as good as MM1 or 2's =/

I was talking about the level and boss itself. it was fun.

I've taken out Magnet and Spark Man. Both with the P shot. Wonder what next.

You... really like MM1's music more than MM3's? Well, all right then.

MoxManiac

I think either 4 or 5 has my favorite music.

4 was consistently good, imo. Skull man, dive man, bright man, dust man all had great music.

EDIT: and 5 has my favorite stage select music

Snaku said:
But they're robots! They don't have a sexual preference. Or at least they didn't. :(

Crashman makes it clear that he is different from other robots in the beginning of his music video.

8-bit Megaman is like the Tampa Rays: It cannot lose.

Top Bottom