• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Center CX localized as "Retro Game Challenge"--it's a parody of your childhood.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The Premise:
A Japanese comedian sends you back in time and you must complete ridiculous parodies of 1980s video games. Along with the games, you have a stack of faux 1980s video game magazines with hints, tips, and cheat codes.

This is the localization (by XSeed Games) of the Japanese game Game Center CX: Arino's Challenge, based on the TV show Game Center CX, which is to be released on DVD later this year domestically. The original game was made by Bandai-Namco.

Kohler's impressions of the Japanese release
Kohler said:
It doesn't matter whether you've seen the Japanese reality show on which Game Center CX: Arino's Challenge is based. This new Nintendo DS game will deliver a dose of humorous and all-too-true retro game nostalgia to anyone who remembers the 80's.

Hey, remember the 80's? Remember poring over game magazines for cheat codes to help you get past the impossible sections of the short, difficult NES games of the era?

Remember sitting around with your friends on lazy summer days trying to be the first one to get past that tricky part? So do the people who designed Game Center CX, an homage to 1985's game culture.

The premise is simple: Arino, the comedian who stars in the popular TV show, gets fed up with his constant diet of retro games and turns into an evil wizard, who curses you to go back in time and live as a child of the 80's again -- unless you complete his challenges on a series of retro games that look and feel like, but are not, the real thing.

The game opens up with you and your pal in the family room (your pal is the child-version of Arino, who can't believe that he grows up to be an evil old man), with little to entertain you but a Famicom and a copy of Cosmic Gate, a Galaga-inspired shooter. If you want, you can pop the game in the system and just start playing, but Arino starts assigning you challenge after challenge. Clear Stage 5. Use the "warp gates" twice. Blow up a giant asteroid. Get 200,000 points.

Cosmic Gate itself is quite fun, a nifty little throwback shooter with surprisingly intense action. You'll hear Arino's gasps and interjections as you play ("Look, a 1up!" "Oh no!" Etc.), but for the most part it's a straightforward retro-styled game.

Eventually, you realize that you're not quite sure how to pull off some of these objectives. For example, to make a Warp Gate appear, you have to make sure that the flashing enemy in a certain wave is the first one you kill. This information is in the game's instruction booklet, which you can flip through by pausing the game and going back to the main menu on the lower screen.

And each game, of course, has secrets. You can enter in secret codes for powerups, or find Super Warp Gates on certain levels. To find these, you'll have to flip through back issues of Game Fan Magazine (no, not that Game Fan), which also contain previews of upcoming games, fictional Top Ten lists, and editorials from the fictional staff.

Once you get through four Cosmic Gate challenges, you'll move onto the next game: Karakuri Ninja Huggleman, which looks and plays a little like Ninja Jajamaru-kun, only not terrible.

I find this all quite clever. I didn't know from the TGS demo that there'd be all this paging through old magazines to find hidden tips, and I think it's a very interesting idea that amps up the gameplay value while making the nostalgic premise of the game work all the better.

Of course, with this comes a caveat: the language barrier is pretty steep. In fact, if you can't read what's going on, you likely won't be able to pass the second challenge without a ridiculous amount of trial, error, and frustration.

That said, I see absolutely no reason why this shouldn't be brought to the US. As I said before, you need not be at all familiar with the source material to understand the premise: we all grew up with games like this, and from what I've seen thus far the gameplay would work well no matter what the country.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
AWESOME

i wanted to import this, but figured a lot of the charm would be lost since i can't, you know, read japanese.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Fuck.

First Summon Night Twin Age and now this.

This is the SECOND DS game I imported that was announced for a US released in less than a week after I got it.

I am officially done importing DS games.

(Unless I should buy Tales of Innocence to guarantee a US release for everyone).

Princess Skittles said:
Fuck.

First Summon Night Twin Age and now this.

This is the SECOND DS game I imported that was announced for a US released in less than a week after I got it.

I am officially done importing DS games.

(Unless I should buy Tales of Innocence to guarantee a US release for everyone).

Thankfully they didn't wait until a week after Rhythm Tengoku Gold is released in Japan to announce the US release of that. :lol

radjago

Ah, XSeed. I owe you one.

Hope they localise the magazine content.

Edit: From the PR.

"Seek help from in-game magazines, filled with cheat codes to warp you to later
levels, receive unlimited continues, and even become invincible!"

So at least they will be in part.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
After seeing the 1Up show segment on this, I tracked down some of the show. I am so damned happy this is getting localized. This is a fantastic E3 my friends. :D

Yaweee

This is fantastic news! I didn't think this would get localized due to the odd structure of it all(aren't the magazines images with a bunch of Japanese text?), but I'll definitely be getting this.

Now, while I'm drunk on nostalgia, how about some news on a the nameless game localization? Anyone? Damn.

BreakyBoy said:
After seeing the 1Up show segment on this, I tracked down some of the show. I am so damned happy this is getting localized. This is a fantastic E3 my friends. :D

As long as you aren't focusing on the big press conferences.

eXistor

Oh wow, this looks hot. I'm embarassed to say I didn't know the game existed until now. I'm totally getting this day one!

Tain

I don't know what I think about the concept of this.

If the games aren't challenging enough/if there's too much hand holding, all the 8-bit presentation in the world isn't gonna help at all.

And aside from that, will they have sufficient meat on their bones despite being part of a bigger whole?

import peeps: detailed impressions please

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
So, there are actually parody 80's magazines, with parody articles and hints and tips and everything? That's awesome. I really can't wait for this game, like I said in an earlier post about this, I'm hoping that eventually the Game Center CX tv series will be subtitled and released in the US market. They showed a few subbed Game Center CX episodes at the NY Asian Film Festival, so who knows?

This is a fantastic concept for a game, hope to see some sequels come eventually!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Link1110 said:
Is that a parody of Dragon Warrior 2 on the PDF? :D

Yeah, I think the game's penultimate challenge is a 10 or so hour RPG similar to the 8 bit classics.

I'm still :lol how one of the games is named "Cosmic Gate", the name of a tech-trance group from a few years back.

I am *SO* fuckin excited about this. I imported the japanese version and used FAQs to get pretty far, but couldn't play the RPG because I don't understand a lick of japanese. WOOOOOOHOOOOO!!!!! GO GO CAME CENTER CX!!!!

This game is AWESOME!

Enk

makes good threads.
Oh crap, this is actually getting localized!?!? This game looked really good on the 1up Show last year and I never expected it to ever come over seas.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I shall purchase this to support xSEED's great efforts! And shit, I live in Japan!:lol

Jiggy

I didn't dare hope that it would actually be localized, but now that it's come true, can't wait! Even if it was nothing but its Dragon Quest-like game, or even if it was everything except that, I'd probably still want to have bought it; doing both takes it to another level.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Retro Game Challenge is the worst fucking name ever.

Why not just call it "Translated Japanese Video Game."

Lee N

Membre
Love the japanese version.. will buy this again just to support XSEED which is my new favorite publisher.

Lee N

Membre
sp0rsk said:
Retro Game Challenge is the worst fucking name ever.

Why not just call it "Translated Japanese Video Game."
I'm guessing it's a shortened down form of "Retro Game Master" (which seems to be the western name for Game Center CX) and "Arino's Challenge.

But yeah.. I don't like it either. They should've just kept the Game Center CX name.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
kazuo said:
Demand source and more info, please.
The last I heard about them, they were seeking a distributor for the dvds. I assume they found one, otherwise why the go ahead and localize/release the game?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Retro Game Master?

What is wrong with these people, do they even watch the show? Arino sucks at games.

Top Bottom