• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Playstation Video Store Thread

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
bannerforpsvidstore.png

psvidstore5.png

The Playstation Video Store: available NOW in the US, and early 2009 for other unannounced markets.

WARNING: do not attempt to download content from the store if you do not live in the United States. Some of GAF in other countries has tried this and purchased the content, but are unable to download it. There's no way to get a refund for video content.

psvidstore3.png

psvidstore1.png

psvidstore2.png

What is the PS Video Store?
Available on the PS3, it allows you to choose over a variety of TV Shows and Movies to rent in either SD or High Definition. You can also purchase SD content to keep forever. Rentals last 14 days with a grace period of 24 hours once the content has started playing.

What systems can use it?
Available on the PS3, and also available to transfer directly to the PSP. You can also browse the store via PC for use on your PSP. Remote Play viewing is not available for downloaded content via Store purchases or rentals; the videos themselves simply don't appear when using Remote Play.

How much content is there?
As of July 15th, there is a bit less than 300 movies and over 1,200 pieces of TV show content. There is also exclusive content available from partners such as SCEI and SCEJ.

How much will it cost?
Prices will likely vary, but there seems to be some pricing guidelines in place.

psvidstore4.png

Rentals are $2.99-3.99 in SD and can be upscaled using the latest 2.41 firmware. HD rentals are $5.99. SD copies can be purchased for $9.99 to $14.99.

How long are the rentals?
Rentals last 14 days with a grace period of 24 hours once the content has started playing.

Can I copy the movies to other systems aside from the PSP?
No. The videos downloaded are encrypted differently and show a title icon instead of the icons made by the user. Users cannot use custom icons on the videos.

psvidstore6.png

Can I share videos like Game Sharing?
Unknown at this point.

Can videos on the PS3 be remotely viewed via PSP?
No, Remote Play does not show any videos purchased/rented via PS Video Store.

Where are all the preview options for movies?
They will be integrated with the store later this week, just like the launch of the game PS Store (even the movie Dewey Cox does not have the preview function shown at the E3 Sony conference).

Will videos be in my download history?
Videos seem to have their own separate download history icon. Rentals can only be downloaded once; after that you must repurchase to download again, unless the download was interrupted. Purchased content seems to be OK to download multiple times on the same system.

Will there be a PC store for the PSP?
Yes (thanks Wollan).

Will I be able to transfer things on and off the PS3 Store and the PC Store?
It doesn't look like it. All content bought on the PC Store seems to only be activated for use on the PSP. If you buy it on the PS3, you can watch it on the PS3 and transfer it from the PS3 to the PSP. You cannot view your download history on your PC and download a PS3 purchase to your PSP. Wow, that wasn't confusing at all! :p

Can I download to an external HDD?
No, it must be on the HDD itself.

When will the store be updated?
"Weekly" according to Sony, likely on the Thursday/Friday of the regular store update.

Here's the official PR:
PLAYSTATION(R)Network's Video Delivery Service to Offer Movies and TV Shows for Purchase and Rental Through PLAYSTATION(R)3 and PSP(R) (Playstation(R)Portable)

New service to expand entertainment offering of PLAYSTATION 3 and PSP giving consumers downloadable content when and where they want it

FOSTER CITY, Calif., July 15 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) today launches the company's new video delivery service on PLAYSTATION(R)Store for PLAYSTATION(R)3 (PS3(TM)) and PSP(R) (PlayStation(R)Portable) systems in the United States. Consumers will have the ability to download full-length movies, television shows, and original programming accessible through the PLAYSTATION Store on PLAYSTATION(R)Network. With nearly 300 full length movies and more than 1,200 TV episodes, many available in both standard-definition (SD) and high-definition (HD), PLAYSTATION Network's video delivery service makes PS3 the ultimate entertainment platform and enhances PSP's status as a portable entertainment marvel. PLAYSTATION Network's video delivery service will become available later this evening.

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) will initially make available to consumers content for video rental and electronic sell-through from top movie studios including: 20th Century Fox, Lionsgate Entertainment, MGM Studios, Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Warner Bros. Entertainment as well as titles for rent from The Walt Disney Studios and a wide-ranging menu of popular titles from a variety of television partners.

"PLAYSTATION Network's video delivery service capitalizes on the superior value and entertainment potential of PS3 and PSP -- not only for gaming enthusiasts, but also for the millions of consumers looking to buy the best, most versatile solution for their home entertainment system," said Jack Tretton, president and CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment America. "The collaboration of Sony's film, TV and entertainment business units, coupled with our hardware and content offerings, provide consumers with entertainment experiences unlike any on the market."

The video delivery service will have full integration in the PLAYSTATION Network, utilizing the same login, wallet management, and user interface of the newly revamped PLAYSTATION Store. Video will be categorized, for example, by top rating, alphabetical order, television shows, and movies and content is also fully searchable, for example, by title, producer, studio and cast. In addition, PS3's progressive downloading means users can view content shortly after the downloading process begins. Background downloading is also a feature of PS3, allowing users to access other platform features such as gaming and other XMB(TM) (XrossMediaBar) content while a video is downloading to their consoles.

20th Century Fox's "Jumper", Lionsgate's "3:10 to Yuma", MGM's "Rocky", Paramount Pictures' "Cloverfield", Sony Pictures' "Spider-Man", and Warner Bros. Entertainment's "10,000 B.C." are a few of the titles available for electronic sell-through on the video service at launch. Disney's "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" will also be available for rent. Additionally, SCEI will be introducing original exclusive content such as Xam'd: Lost Memories, an anime series developed by Sony Computer Entertainment Japan, delivered in SD and HD.

Consumers who rent a movie from the video delivery service have 14 days to watch the content. Once content playback is started, consumers have a full 24 hours to enjoy their rental. Pricing for rental movies at launch ranges from $2.99 to $5.99, and pricing for purchased movies ranges from $9.99 to $14.99. Sony has also adopted Marlin Digital Rights Management technology, an open industry standard for protecting and managing digital content, to provide consumers with flexible access to their content while ensuring digital rights are protected. Usage rules of the video download service will allow content for purchase to be shared on multiple activated devices including PS3 and PSP systems per PLAYSTATION Network account, depending on the type of content purchased by the user.

One of the biggest value propositions of PLAYSTATION Network's video delivery service is the ability to transfer digital content onto the PSP from the PS3. For the initial electronic sell-through or rental price, consumers can also transfer content onto multiple devices. The connectivity between PS3 and PSP platforms provides a seamless solution for those looking for entertainment experiences on their own terms -- on the go or in their living room -- all with a new-found freedom of not having to worry about TV schedules, movie listings or viewing on a desktop PC.

Unless there are some major releases or major news, I wont be updating the OP with weekly content; it'll just be a post in the thread.

Chris R

OldJadedGamer said:
Wonder why you can rent in HD but not buy in HD... weird.
Disc space I bet.

Also, kinda wishing the prices were just a bit cheaper. If they were this would be my primary way to get videos, but at these prices I might as well go to Blockbuster and save me some money.

kurahadol said:
Any ideas on the up time or is everyone just playing the waiting game?

I want to guess between 8pm-10pm CST. perfect time for those that got nothing to do tonight and want to watch a movie or something.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Not sure if they've confirmed a time yet..

Small note, but the e3 section of the store has a custom backdrop now too, ala the custom studio-specific backgrounds shown in the video store.

Elios83 said:
Is it officially confirmed that the video store launches in Europe this fall ?

In europe nothing is confirmed till you see it running on your own TV. Have you learned nothing?

Microsoft's IPTV anyone?

BeeDog

Anyone know if this will be installed as a separate app in the XMB, or as a link in the existing one? Curious, since if it's the first, I wonder what kind of problems could arise if Europeans do a fake US account and install it or something...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
DMPrince said:
everyone should buy Xam'd. It looks very pretty on an 1080p set [at least the trailer did]

DMPrince said:
everyone should buy Xam'd. It looks very pretty on an 1080p set [at least the trailer did]

DMPrince said:

DMPrince said:

DMPrince said:

Can't be quoted enough. ORIGINAL CONTENT, PEOPLE. Support it!

slider

gofreak said:

Chubigans, you may want to change that Fall '08 for Euro/Japan thing. Unless you have confirmation from somewhere? (Please say you do!)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gofreak said:

Small note, but the e3 section of the store has a custom backdrop now too, ala the custom studio-specific backgrounds shown in the video store.

Yeah, noticed that. Pretty cool.

calder

Any word at all on Canada? Please don't be gimped and shitty in Canada (or worse, not available at all). :(

I expect at least some level of lameness for Canadians if it's available at all. Those prices here at par would be downright logical, can't be having that shit!

Oh, and I checked the store just now to d/l some trailers, the Store amazed me by loading all the new E3 pages almost instantly. And having all the trailers ready now, and they aren't downloading at 10k/s... such an improvement over the not too distant past. :lol

Elios83

The Innocent X said:
In europe nothing is confirmed till you see it running on your own TV. Have you learned nothing?

Microsoft's IPTV anyone?

I don't know about Microsoft IPTV honestly but I know it will be a nightmare in Europe because different companies have the rights on different movies in different countries ...so the catalogue won't be uniform and I'm pretty sure that non UK countries will get a much less updated and content rich video store.

Kagari said:
Can't be quoted enough. ORIGINAL CONTENT, PEOPLE. Support it!

Buy, screencap it and paste it all over GAf. :lol

I definitely loved the trailer and the music when i saw it. so i can't wait for it!

I'll give them my money if they bring more of it. ;D

Elios83 said:
I don't know about Microsoft IPTV honestly but I know it will be a nightmare in Europe because different companies have the rights on different movies in different countries ...so the catalogue won't be uniform and I'm pretty sure that non UK countries will get a much less updated and content rich video store.

If it's like MS offering even the UK gets a heavily gimped service, although it has been getting better recently.

gofreak said:

about that E3 section....I went there, seems kinda bare

The PSN Store keeps going up and down so they must be updating it now with the videos...

I was really excited about the video store but reading the OP....

What? You can only download once then you have to pay again if you download it again?!

WTH?! What happens if I need to erase it for room on my HDD? What happens if my PS3 breaks?!

Sony can't be stupid enough to let that happen right?! :(

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
DMPrince said:
Buy, screencap it and paste it all over GAf. :lol

I definitely loved the trailer and the music when i saw it. so i can't wait for it!

I'll give them my money if they bring more of it. ;D

Bones is worth supporting ;D

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
WiiRevolution1 said:
The PSN Store keeps going up and down so they must be updating it now with the videos...

I was really excited about the video store but reading the OP....

What? You can only download once then you have to pay again if you download it again?!

WTH?! What happens if I need to erase it for room on my HDD? What happens if my PS3 breaks?!

Sony can't be stupid enough to let that happen right?! :(

You can redownload as much as u want. just like games.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
TTP said:
You can redownload as much as u want. just like games.

I think the terms say differently (i.e. only once).

Same as itunes, i think (it's that way for music anyway, not sure about video). And that is something I didn't want them to copy from apple..

Defcon

Banned
$6 to rent in HD? Wtf! I can go and rent the Bluray disc from BB for $5 and have all the extras and better audio.

With the new Geneon deal with Funimation, there could be some good content here. I've thought about renting shows on XBL before but always stop short, and they usually disappear before I check them out (Last Exile).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gofreak said:
I think the terms say differently (i.e. only once).

Same as itunes, i think (it's that way for music anyway, not sure about video). And that is something I didn't want them to copy from apple..

Oh the TOS.

drknite

Can't wait to eat some Kobe tubesteak
Dr. Zoidberg said:
Is there going to be a way to "preview" the shows and movies like on the XBL Video store?
Trailers at least for movies, not sure about TV shows yet.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Oh wait a second. Was reading the TOS. It says only purchased SD content can be copied to the PSP. What? So if I have an HD movie I have to buy the SD version in order to actually enjoy it on the PSP? This bullshit alone would make the PS3 to PSP trasnfer totally useless to me (as I'm never gonna purchase nor rent SD content to watch on my HDTV)

TTP said:
Oh wait a second. Was reading the TOS. It says only purchased SD content can be copied to the PSP. What? So if I have an HD movie I have to buy the SD version in order to actually enjoy it on the PSP?

HD version could come equip with SD version that can only be transferred to a psp.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
DMPrince said:
HD version could come equip with SD version that can only be transferred to a psp.

Does it come with coke and pop corn too? :p

I think that's unlikely. :(

TTP said:
Oh wait a second. Was reading the TOS. It says only purchased SD content can be copied to the PSP. What? So if I have an HD movie I have to buy the SD version in order to actually enjoy it on the PSP? This bullshit alone would make the PS3 to PSP trasnfer totally useless to me (as I'm never gonna purchase nor rent SD content to watch on my HDTV)

As far as I understand it, there is no HD purchase option. You can only rent in HD. But maybe the purchase of an HD item allows you to also download an SD version to your PSP?

'Course what do I care? This'll likely come out in Canada in 2009. :(

TTP said:
Does it come with coke and pop corn too? :p

I think that's unlikely. :(

who knows though. I mean it's not like they'll have it showing. it could "extract" a hidden sd file when you copy to psp.

IDK. i have a psp. and i have money to spend tonight. we'll find out :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
somuchwater said:
As far as I understand it, there is no HD purchase option. You can only rent in HD. But maybe the purchase of an HD item allows you to also download an SD version to your PSP?

'Course what do I care? This'll likely come out in Canada in 2009. :(

Well, you can't transfer rented HD content either.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
DMPrince said:
who knows though. I mean it's not like they'll have it showing. it could "extract" a hidden sd file when you copy to psp.

IDK. i have a psp. and i have money to spend tonight. we'll find out :lol

TOS clearly makes a distinction between SD and HD content. It says "Rental/Sold Content in standard definition format [...] may be transferred once [...] to the activaded PSP"

Doesn't repeat itself about HD content.

Top Bottom