• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: E3 is no longer for showing core games

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25710005/

I think that there’s probably one other element to it, and that’s that our view of how we use E3 has changed. For a very long time, E3 was an event where — and certainly Nintendo included — catered specifically to the core gamer. Now we look at more … an opportunity for us to introduce new concepts and new types of play that we intend to bring to the broader audience, particularly because of the media that gathers at E3 now.

So while attending an E3 event like this, they might be given the impression that Nintendo is no longer focusing on the games that appeal to the core gamer, in fact we’re still working on many of those titles, but it’s just not the type of event where we’ll be showcasing that anymore.

Well that explains everything.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Nice Shiggy-San :)

So i`m waitin on Nintendo Japan Fall Conference where they show and announce hardcore Games ( last year MH3 - this year kh3 ? ) :)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Like it or not, I'm glad he came out and said it.

That's understandable but still torturous(if that is even a word) to Nintendo fans. Looks like we just gotta wait longer to get our 'E3' fill.

Dolphin

Banned
Then showcase them online, I don't give a shit, that's where all the veteran gamers are anyway. Just give me something to work with.

Door2Dawn

Banned
God's Beard said:
oh, so they don't care about game journalists any more.
unbenannt3ks3.gif

Jirotrom

I thought this shit was clear and obvious but apparently not due to the gaf meltdowns, its like Anihawk stating he has leaned to expect this.

Amneisac

I didn't see a whole lot of retirement home buses parked outside of E3 this year. I don't know who the hell they think they were showing the games to.

farnham

Banned
God's Beard said:
oh, so they don't care about game journalists any more.
they stopped caring since forever

i mean almost every game journalist wished that nintendo goes third party after all

Stocka said:
They better be at TGS then.

no chance

they will probably have a conference near TGS though

Aeris130

Maybe he should've said that Nintendo no longer uses E3 to show core games. It's not like the gaming media has shunned it completely. (Or did MS and Sony miss the que completely?)

Aeris130 said:
Maybe he should've said that Nintendo no longer uses E3 to show core games. It's not like the gaming media has shunned it completely. (Or did MS and Sony miss the que completely?)
"[...] but it’s just not the type of event where we’ll be showcasing that anymore."

What the hell is the difference between a casual and core gamer anyway? Where do GTA, Guitar Hero, Rock Band and Halo all sit in that absolutely ridiculous dichotomy?

Pojo

Banned
Yes. This is what I've been saying.

How do you explain how we keep getting the core games at a faster rate than ever before? It doesn't take a genius to see how many games we have so early in the Wii's lifecycle.

Bulla564

Banned
WRONG

Miyamoto: Nintendo is no longer for showing core games

Fixed. It's not the image they care about portraying anymore.

goompapa

Of course, because they like to show their games during the rest of the year.

Anyone remember how many in house wii-core games they have revealed from last E3 till this E3.

TheHeretic said:
What the hell is the difference between a casual and core gamer anyway? Where do GTA, Guitar Hero, Rock Band and Halo all sit in that absolutely ridiculous dichotomy?

It's more "Stuff we think New York Times and MSNBC will like to do a report on".

Threi

notag
Bulla564 said:
WRONG

Miyamoto: Nintendo is no longer for showing core games

You just made me really sad as a Capcom fan.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Bulla564 said:
WRONG

Miyamoto: Nintendo is no longer for showing core games at e3.

Fixed ;-)

onipex

I remember Nintendo saying the same thing last year. Explains why they showed more 3rd party games than 1st party games. Well only if they are mainly working on core games.

Feep said:
Technically, casual gamers are Nintendo's new "core" gamer. "Hardcore" is more appropriate, or "veteran", or "people who appreciate games that don't fucking suck".

No, just no.

Core gamers in Nintendo's eyes like playing Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and ect.That's why they mention those game when they bring up core gamers.

I can't remember Nintendo actually saying hardcore gamers. I never thought of core and hardcore as the same type of gamer.

Markster

The real media shows up to E3.
E3 is the only chance for the big three to get an article in the A section of a national newspaper.
They need to use that time wisely to attract new customers.

Us core gamers on the other hand, watch the companies year round for every possible announcement. We F5 their homepages into submission! It doesn't matter how they announce core games, because we will find out about them anyway!

Feep

Banned
Technically, casual gamers are Nintendo's new "core" gamer. "Hardcore" is more appropriate, or "veteran", or "people who appreciate games that don't fucking suck".

Fantastical said:
At least he said it. That gives me some encouragement, but I really don't see how E3 is not for the core gamer.
Let's be honest. E3 is a shell of its former self and is rapidly becoming an irrelevant event in the gaming world.

TheGreatDave said:
It's more "Stuff we think New York Times and MSNBC will like to do a report on".

THousands of news outlets, traditional and new, visit E3. MOST of them are news outlets focused on games. Nintendo is catering to the smaller population of traditional news outlets (which have a much larger readership) at E3 now.

It makes sense, but what makes no sense is completely abandoning the audience of "core gamers". This isn't an all or nothing proposition. You can focus your entire presser on non-games if you want, but it would be smart to at least have a few REAL games on the show floor for the people at E3 that aren't working for USA Today or the New York Times.

Edit: Man, the fanboy damage control in this thread is hilarious. Just wild conjecture that Nintendo must have something else coming when all the indicators point to more non-games.

Somnid

Fantastical said:
At least he said it. That gives me some encouragement, but I really don't see how E3 is not for the core gamer.

Because outlets like Reuteurs aren't going to cover Nintendo Media Summits, whereas the game media will be all over them and liveblogging to release the news as fast as possible for the core gamers.

Top Bottom