• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The official Rhythm Tengoku Gold thread - KAAAAAAAAAMO NE

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Okay well the game hit some stores today, and I picked it up, and it is in a word, awesome. Played through the initial 6 remixes and all but one are completely new games. The one that is left over is a funky new version of one the classic Rhythm Tengoku stages, I don't wanna spoil it, but it's one of my favorites.

Things I noticed while playing:

• Production values shot through the roof
  • Music is much better, a lot more vocal tracks
  • The stages have graduated from being extended Wario Ware stages into mini animated bundles of fun
  • The labratory stage is one of the best stages eeeeeeever
  • Difficulty seems about the same, some stages are helluva tough though (ura omote! damn you!)
  • KAAAAAAAAAAAMO NE
  • There is no remix that seems to stand out from the rest (though i haven't done the 6-9 ones) They are all really cool with the stage art being redone especially for the remix in all remixes instead of just a couple like in the original

The instruction booklet has really nice paper and the sticker on the DS cart is kind of a gold foil, it's what the Zelda Phantom Hourglass cart shoulda been!

Anyway, the game is amazing, and surprisingly being ignored by most of GAF. Nintendo fans are probably too busy whining about E3 to notice some serious genius just came out.

sprsk

KTallguy said:
I will buy this.
The GBA one was amazing.

Is the touch screen harder than the buttons to use?

I hear it takes a little getting used to for some.

SumGamer

I'm hanging for Rhythm Heaven(NA version of the game). By the time its out, I should have DS Lite since my DS touch screen has a big scratch on it (I blame Ouendan).

Watching the demo really makes me want to play it though.

Tiefooz

From what I played at E3, the toughest bit to get used to is the touch-flick motion -- some of the songs hinge on this almost entirely. Otherwise, the touch screen functions as a basic replacement for the A button. Not bad, but my thumb's quicker than my whole hand.

Desperately awaiting my import copy.

d+pad

I was going to wait until this is released in NA, but I don't think I can do it. Plus I want Band Brothers DX. Damn you, Nintendo - and your little DS, too!

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
john tv said:
The first RT is the best GBA game ever made IMO. This will be a 10am purchase tomorrow for sure. :)
Agreed on the first statement. I'm just sad the second statement can't also be true for me. :(

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Absolutely, the first RT was the best GBA game ever.

I've been playing the DS one since I got it in the mail this morning. I've beaten the first 45 (out of 50) stages, with Medals on all of them but 3.

So far, I love it. It's hard to say whether or not it's better than the original, but it's certainly a close call. A lot of people complain about the difficulty on this one... I disagree. I think it's about the same as the first.

All of the games are simplistic, but take a bit to master. And of course, they're all insanely imaginative.

I've played all of the mini games, too (there seems to be maybe about 10 of them... or so) and most of them are good, albeit they're mostly those "infinite" type of games that you stop playing when you get bored.

So far there's no free-play drum set like the original, and it doesn't seem like there will be. :( There's these new guitar lessons, but I haven't unlocked the very last option... Maybe it's a free-play guitar? (Psh, who cares about that... I have Band Bros DX. =/)

All things considered, it's a fantastic game. I'll be buying the Americanized copy as well.

~Dac

CassSept

It's out already? Damn
English version will probably have localized songs, right?
Well, import time!

kaaaaamo ne? this rap minigame is back? damn, i really hated it:lol

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
KTallguy said:
Is the GBA version still available in stores? Or is it insanely rare?

I don't think so. I work for an import store and we never see any new or used copies come in, and I'm pretty sure my boss said it's tough to find. Of course, finding it on the internet is a different situation.

Anyway, for anyone who's beaten all fifty stages... What's that new thing you unlock on the right? I clicked it, but it won't let me get past the two buttons afterwards... I'm confused.

~Dac

Mdk7

i am a HUGE fan of the original, which is probably one of the 10 best games ever created IMHO...
An important question before buying... how import friendly is this one?
Is it easy to navigate thru menus and so on just like the GBA one?
Thanks!!

sprsk

Mdk7 said:
i am a HUGE fan of the original, which is probably one of the 10 best games ever created IMHO...
An important question before buying... how import friendly is this one?
Is it easy to navigate thru menus and so on just like the GBA one?
Thanks!!

It's probably more import friendly than the first. There's no quiz game.

KTallguy said:
I will buy this.
The GBA one was amazing.

Is the touch screen harder than the buttons to use?
Some games just require you to get used to the controls' nuances.

Others, like the Easter Island Heads stage, are pretty much bullshit.

Gressmon

Banned
I've ordered it two days ago on play-asia, still waiting to receive it.

DAMN I want the first game now, can't find it anywhere ! Gaf to the rescue ?

Dacvak

I'm not sure if I speak for everyone who's played so far, but I'm really into the touch screen controls. (This is coming from someone who already beat the game, got almost all the medals, and perfected everything in the first game.)

They're really solid, and once you find your own comfortable way to "flick," everything flows nicely.

I figured out what the final unlockable is, too.
It's just like the "Guitar Practice," only now you're on a stage. Kind of like the Drum Girls Live from the first game. Also, no drums in this game at all. =(

Awesome game.

~Dac

Electrii

I love the touchscreen controls. the whole system where you don't need to look at the touchscreen is brilliant. and hell, flicking is just fun.

Also, I can't get the music out of my head.

....and STOP!...
.....Scratcho! :D

Haunted

I'm waiting for the US version, and this thread is not helping! :mad:

ShockingAlberto said:
Some games just require you to get used to the controls' nuances.

Others, like the Easter Island Heads stage, are pretty much bullshit.
What do you mean by that?

sprsk

My top 10 favorite stages are:

1. Love Labratory
2. Karateka
3. Lifting
4. Box Show
5. Idol (2)
6. Short Live
7. Kerokero Dance
8. DJ School
9. Syncro
10. Shugyou

ziran

I was trying to wait for the English version, but, I can't anymore...

The GBA game is one of my favourites and this looks and sounds just as incredible, I have to get the Japanese! Can't wait until it arrives :D

iddqd

first off: I WANT TO LIKE IT
but:
i dont know, i´ve only played a bit (until table tennis).. but i really think its more difficult and less fun than the gba version.

i don't feel the tunes, the rhythm is beyond me.
the gba version was very much playable without looking at the screen and easy to do so.
hell, i still hum the matsuri song or the karateka one from version 1.

so far i´m disappointed.
but i have to play allot more and like i said, the original one was my let-me-show-you-how-cool-games-are showpiece for my friends and therefore special.

(korg ds 10 is also stealing more of my time than i thought)

I've been meaning to play the original on gba, but is this a ds remake with extras? I plan on waiting for the NA version and getting this on day 1, but am wondering if I should play the gba version first

Amir0x

Banned
I am SO HAPPY this is coming to the US finally and even more jealous of every who plays moon language version today :(

Gryphter said:
I've been meaning to play the original on gba, but is this a ds remake with extras? I plan on waiting for the NA version and getting this on day 1, but am wondering if I should play the gba version first
Yeah you REALLY should get the GBA version too. I mean REALLY. Everybody should. It's also my favorite GBA game.
The DS Version is a sequel with completely new games and different controls.

sprsk

Gryphter said:

Totally new game.

^ gotcha. cool, thanks. looks like I will be interjecting the original into my backlog now. currently at 12 games including this

Alpha_eX

Mine is in the post, can't wait to get it, loved the GBA version.

Not going to read any details about it, don't want any nice surprises ruined.

Electrii

I love all the tiny details I keep noticing while playing.
I bet none of you noticed that when playing a perfect challenge, the little P in the corner has tiny eyes that move around as if it's checking out your performance :)

I love this game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
RT was one of my most favorite GBA games. Can't wait to pick this up tomorrow. Unfortunately, I'm still playing DQV, so I dunno when I'm going to get to it. :(

sprsk

Jacobi said:
Shut the fuck up seriously. I don't want a DS dammit

People who don't own DS's belong in the camp people who didn't own PS2's last gen are being fried in.

jesusraz

I can't even get past the third stage where you fill the robots up with paint (or oil??)...I'm finding it much harder than the GBA game so far!

TimeKillr

Electrii said:
I love the touchscreen controls. the whole system where you don't need to look at the touchscreen is brilliant. and hell, flicking is just fun.

Also, I can't get the music out of my head.

....and STOP!...
.....Scratcho! :D

I don't get how to play this one...

I always get the DJ looking at me with X eyes.

Electrii

That whole 7th set is evil. good luck with the remix. :lol

TimeKillr said:
I don't get how to play this one...

I always get the DJ looking at me with X eyes.

Well.. i'm not sure how to explain rhythm over the internet. didn't the tutorial help?

There's a little "easter egg" in this game - if you're on beat, you can really scratch with the stylus in rhythm to the music and release exactly on time. (1-2, 1-2, 1...flick!)
it's kinda hard to explain what I mean.
Of course, you don't actually need to scratch while holding the vinyl, but it fits so nicely I can't help but do it.

sprsk

STOP COME ON OOOO
SUKURACHO HEY

On the OO you hold, on the HEY you scratch.

Remix 8 was so fun. Hard, but fun. Probably my favorite remix as of now.

mutsu

Awesome to hear such positive impressions. Can't wait for my copy to arrive.

The game is only US$35.99 at YesAsia, so no real need to wait for the game to be localized. Japanese vocals sound better anyway!

Vinci

Danish
Amir0x said:
I am SO HAPPY this is coming to the US finally

^ This. Will be buying it day one. Or before that. Likely before that. Preorder, import, something - I just want this game.

Jacobi said:
Shut the fuck up seriously. I don't want a DS dammit

Seriously: Why? I don't know how anyone could survive this generation without a DS and a PC.

Top Bottom