• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 Arcade games that are worth your time

This took awhile to finish up but here we are, a list of 50 arcade games everyone should totally check out if they ever get the chance.

First some notes:
-Fighting games, Competitive puzzlers, and other such games are not included in this list.
-This is not a top 50. All 50 of these games are of equal worth in my book and cater to a variety of gamers.
-These games were picked because they feature the best combination of game design, polish, challenge, and entertainment value. Some games may have more replay value than others but that's just how it goes.
-This list is not final so I am open to suggestions on what should/should not be on the list.
-I probably should dress this thread up with some videos and pictures but eh I'll get around to that later as this is still a WIP.
-My reasons for each game getting on this list will follow in due time. Interestingly enough you'll notice that many of the games are classics and you'll see little reason to argue their inclusion. I'm not one of those guys whose best games of all time list consists of a bunch of $300 Japan only doujin games that got a print run of two copies.
-I figure it's safe to do a list like this because to be honest the arcade scene is a shadow of its' former self. There are still some great games being released but they're mostly fighters, shooters by CAVE(which 95% of this forum will never play), and random games that let you use 500 yen cards to save your progress.

Anyway here's the list:

Game (Best console version to get)
1.Crazy Taxi (Dreamcast)
2.Black Tiger (Capcom Classics on PS2 or Xbox)
3.Battle Garegga (Saturn)
4.Dodonpachi (PSX)
5.Cadillac's & Dinosaurs (Oops...though I think there's an SNES version..probably not worth it though)
6.Magic Sword (Capcom Classics on PS2 or Xbox)
7.Bemani..y'know like DDR, Beatmania, etc (Various PS2 releases)
8.Daytona USA (Saturn....yeah I know that version is ugly as hell but it's the closest gameplay-wise.)
9.Outrun 2: ST (Xbox though the PS2/PSP editions aren't half bad)
10.Smash TV (XBLA or Midway Collection on PS2/Xbox)
11.Mars Matrix (Dreamcast)
12.Space Harrier (Probably the Space Harrier Sega Ages on PS2, though the SH available on Shenmue is spiffy as well)
13.House of the Dead 2 (Dreamcast or Wii)
14.Time Crisis 2 (PS2 of course)
15.Sega Bass Fishing or Sega Marine Fishing (Dreamcast for SMF, haven't played the PS2 Bass fishing so dunno on that)
16.Dig Dug (Various though I went with XBLA)
17.Ghost Squad (Wii)
18.Rastan (Taito Legends 1 on PS2/Xbox)
19.Shinobi (Ouch tough one. Probably the PC-Engine version)
20.Bubble Symphony or Bubble Memories (Saturn or Taito Legends 2 Xbox which is PAL only. For BM you need the Taito Memories release..forget which one that is exactly)
21.Metal Slug 3 (The Japanese PS2 version)
22.Cameltry (Taito Legends 2 or the first Taito Memories)
23.Galactic Attack/Gunlock/Ray Force (Taito Legends 2 Xbox or one of the Taito Memories sets, the Saturn version is also excellent and less than $10 on ebay)
24.Cleopatra Fortune (Taito Legends 2 or Memories)
25.Ms. Pacman (Various)
26.Raiden Fighters 1 or 2 or Jet (360. Shame it's import only...for now?)
27.Dragon Blaze (PS2)
28.Caliber 50 (Genesis port is really weak but it's the only one)
29.Guardians / Denjin Makai II (Oops)
30.Sexy Parodius (Saturn or PSX is fine)
31.XEXEX (PSP)
32.Sunset Riders (SNES version has all the levels, Genesis version doesn't)
33.Defender (Many many releases)
34.Gauntlet (Ditto, though I'm partial to the XBLA version)
35.ESP Galuda (PS2)
36.TRON (XBLA...lousy port though)
37.Robocop (Oops)
38.Battle Circuit (Oops...though maybe Capcom will see fit to put it on XBLA/PSN?)
39.Elevator Action Returns (Taito Legends 2/Memories)
40.Point Blank (PSX is fine though you can snag all three games easy for import PS2)
41.Mr Driller (Various)
42.Samba De Amigo (Dreamcast and soon Wii)
43.Sega Rally 2 (Dreamcast...shame it's a weak port)
44.Soukyugurentai (Saturn...PSX version ain't so hot)
45.Snow Brothers (Genesis)
46.Strider (Capcom Classics release)
47.The Typing of the Dead (Dreamcast got the only US version though PC is an option too)
48.Batsugun (Saturn)
49.Blazing Star (Um...Neogeo? Oh that's no help)
50.Cadash (Taito Memories or Taito Legends 2 Xbox. Genesis version has only two characters and the Turbografx rev is just poor all around)

Possible contenders:
Ikaruga
NAM 1975
Time Crisis 3
Sengoku 3
Pyros
Rolling Thunder
Gunforce
Food Fight
Ms. Pacman
Time Pilots
Bonanza Brothers
Sega Rally 1

Possibly getting dropped:
Cadash
Samba De Amigo
Robocop
XEXEX
Caliber 50
G. Darius
Mars Matrix
Batsugun
Sega Rally 2

So let me know what you think.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Anyway here's the list:

Game (Best console version to get)
1.Crazy Taxi (Dreamcast)
8.Daytona USA (Saturn....yeah I know that version is ugly as hell but it's the closest gameplay-wise.)
13.House of the Dead 2 (Dreamcast or Wii)
14.Time Crisis 2 (PS2 of course)
32.Sunset Riders (SNES version has all the levels, Genesis version doesn't)
41.Mr Driller (Various)
47.The Typing of the Dead (Dreamcast got the only US version though PC is an option too)

Great list. These are some of my personal favorites from it. I always loved Sunset Riders and Time Crisis, wasted a lot of tokens on them.

To start off here's a swell video from Dig Dug.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJROk4Q08Tw

Also this site: http://www.super-play.co.uk/ hosts a large number of superplays(no way!) from games on my list. Although I'd highly recommend that you donate and/or try to download as few files as possible.

GhostSeed said:
Snow Bros. was released on the Mega Drive in Japan but it's crazy expensive last I looked.

Geh that's what I figured. Maybe I should look into something a bit easier on the wallet but damn Snow Brothers is such a quality game. Along with the Bubble Bobbles Taito did a dozen or so platformer puzzle games but most all of them pale in comparison to Snow Brothers..shame.

Speevy

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
10.Smash TV (XBLA/PSN or Midway Collection on PS2/Xbox)
21.Metal Slug 3 (The Japanese PS2 version)
42.Samba De Amigo (Dreamcast and soon Wii)
50.Cadash (Taito Memories or Taito Legends 2 Xbox)

Played these, great list.

No

588779_40452_front.jpg

= fail

Guybrush Threepwood said:
No

Turtles in Time

= fail

I tried to pick games that have some amount of depth to them. I'm as big a fan of Konami's arcade TMNT games as the next guy but eh..they're pretty shallow overall. Really they don't hold a candle to Capcom's stuff.

Pretty good variety on that list. Black Tiger can't get enough love.

Rolling Thunder (Forgot which Namco collection it's on but pretty much all of 'em and a good replacement for Robocop, IMO)

Pyros/Wardner (Genesis version of this rather underrated game is nearly perfect)

Gunforce (awesome...awesome...more awesome..but I can't think of a particularly good home version)

Ashhong

why are fighting games not included? marvel vs capcom, or at least xmen vs street fighter should be in every arcade game list.

MightyHedgehog said:
Pretty good variety on that list. Black Tiger can't get enough love.

Rolling Thunder (Forgot which Namco collection it's on but pretty much all of 'em and a good replacement for Robocop, IMO)

Pyros/Wardner (Genesis version of this rather underrated game is nearly perfect)

Gunforce (awesome...awesome...more awesome..but I can't think of a particularly good home version)

Hmm good picks. I initially passed on Rolling Thunder because of its similarities to Shinobi but I see no reason to not put it in the contending list.

I played through Wardner quite a few times on the Genesis, never got very far on the arcade rev. Regardless I'll toss it in contending as well.

Gunforce is indeed really well done and I think it got a SNES release. Gunforce 2 is also pretty sweet too.

Ashhong said:
why are fighting games not included? marvel vs capcom, or at least xmen vs street fighter should be in every arcade game list.

#1- If I listed fighters I'd also have to list competitive-based falling block puzzlers like Baku Baku Animal, Magical Drop 3, and Puzzle Fighter(not to mention stuff like Twinkle Star Sprites). By the time the dust settles about 1/3 of my list would be devoted to them..which really just screws everything up.
#2- Even if I did list fighters why would I list those two?

Guybrush Threepwood said:
What? The only beat-em-up with any real amount of depth I've seen is God Hand. What is "depth" in your eyes?

The simplest reason why Capcom's beatemups have depth is twofold. For one you score points in them and for two when you grab health items at full health you get bonus points. It's a very simple idea but it really pushes people to do their best to not get hit at all(let alone killed). The TMNT games really don't reward players for doing exceptionally well so eh..

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I tried to pick games that have some amount of depth to them. I'm as big a fan of Konami's arcade TMNT games as the next guy but eh..they're pretty shallow overall. Really they don't hold a candle to Capcom's stuff.

What? The only beat-em-up with any real amount of depth I've seen is God Hand. What is "depth" in your eyes?

Turtles in Time is one of those games that you can play over and over again and it will never get boring. I'll never forget the first time I tossed a baddie into the screen, etc.

PseudoKirby said:
list fails because of no Power Stone

No fighting games. I've already gone over this.

BobTheFork said:
Ctrl + F

"Food Fight"

! Phrase not Found

total failure

Why should I consider putting Food Fight on the list?

Ashhong said:
because they fucking rock..MvsC2 especially. what would you pick??
Sigh whatever: MvC2, SF3:3s, VS, KoF98, KoFXI, SSF2T, MoTW, LB2, SS2, T5 : DR, TTT, VF4:evo or VF5 depending on the weather. RBFF2, and a couple others I can't think of right now.

Yagharek

PepsimanVsJoe said:
-This is not a top 50. All 50 of these games are of equal worth in my book and cater to a variety of gamers.

Thats what the fuck I want to hear when I see a list being made. Good job.

I disagree with the exclusion of fighting games, as a number of them have defined Arcades as much as the classic racers like Outrun and Daytona have. The fact Outrun 2 is in the list though is a good thing.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
No fighting games. I've already gone over this.

Why should I consider putting Food Fight on the list?
not sure what to say, you should give it a try. It was my favorite old classic game. A really simple premise I don't think I've seen done the same way since. Classic score grind; a really underrated game (saw VERY few of them over the years). The food splat is always great. ADDICTIVE

Good list BTW, lots of great stuff.

RandomVince said:
I disagree with the exclusion of fighting games, as a number of them have defined Arcades as much as the classic racers like Outrun and Daytona have.

This is true. Especially considering a number of great beatemups have used mechanics taken from fighting games yet I haven't listed any fighters. I am a bit of a dick though so one has to take that into consideration.

Personally though I think a list of the best fighting games ever would serve better than attempting to shoehorn everything together. My main focus with this particular list is to play up important titles that don't fall into the typical arcade genres of fighter and shooter.

Unfortunately looking at all of the shooters on this list so far it looks like I've done a sucky job. Meh...more work to do I'm afraid.

BobTheFork said:
not sure what to say, you should give it a try. It was my favorite old classic game. A really simple premise I don't think I've seen done the same way since. Classic score grind; a really underrated game (saw VERY few of them over the years). The food splat is always great. ADDICTIVE

Good list BTW, lots of great stuff.

Alright I'll give it a shot next chance I get. Seeing as how the only games that truly interest me these days are arcade releases it's just as well.

Game-Biz

Arcade experts:

Help me.

I played a game like 10-12 years ago...it was a 2D platformer co-op and I think a Yo-Yo was a weapon...Not for sure...

What game was this? Damn I would give a left nut....

Game-Biz said:
Arcade experts:

Help me.

I played a game like 10-12 years ago...it was a 2D platformer co-op and I think a Yo-Yo was a weapon...Not for sure...

What game was this? Damn I would give a left nut....

Spinmaster for the NeoGeo by Data East.

Fun fact: The two main characters of Spinmaster had a game on the Genesis called "Dashin' Desperadoes". It was a rather interesting platformer where you raced your rival to the finish line to win the girl. Spinmaster on the other hand is far more traditional(and you're no longer competing with your bud).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Definitely Crazy Taxi, but House of the Dead 4 should be somewhere on the list. My favorite arcade game personally. <3

GhostSeed

PepsimanVsJoe said:

Fun fact: The two main characters of Spinmaster had a game on the Genesis called "Dashin' Desperadoes". It was a rather interesting platformer where you raced your rival to the finish line to win the girl. Spinmaster on the other hand is far more traditional(and you're no longer competing with your bud).

I was going to say Dashin' Desperadoes until I saw the screen shots that google pulled up. :lol

Cal. 50 should just not be on that list since there hasn't ever been a good home version produced that I'm aware of...the Gen version is just so rough compared even losing (IIRC) the vital two-player co-op option of the arcade. For the vertical spin-stick shooter, I always preferred the arcade version of Guerrilla War(fare) or the good ol' original Ikari Warriors. (On a sidenote, did anyone play and somehow love Avengers by Capcom, a vertical spin-stick kung-fu beat 'em up?) And while I'm talking about two-player co-op arcade games, Jackal/Top Gunner was always preferred over Contra for my brother/friends/cousins and I. Sacrilege, I know. It's just a flatout better, deeper game than its more popular Konami sibling. Yeah, I know I'm trailing off into the distance here...arcade games are definitely a great nostalgia trip.

Game-Biz

PepsimanVsJoe said:

Wow.

That's it.:D

Here's my left nut. Enjoy.

Tain

It kinda seems like, with the whole "no fighting games" thing, the list is taking on a "stuff you might not know about" angle. So I'll try to do that, and since I'm lazy, I'm only going to mention:

Raimais, by Taito, 1988. Ports available in MAME form via Taito Legends 2. It's a top-down maze game that involves avoiding enemies and eating all the pellets on a specific board, so a crude way of describing it would be Pac-Man with weapons in a sci fi setting and more enemy variety.

The stages themselves can be pretty clever, using quirky enemy/item placement and oddball stuff like pellets you need to run over twice, not to mention the occasional time-changing walls.

Great soundtrack and theme, too.

1. Crazy Taxi is a pretty obvious pick for best arcade game because not only does it have a simple premise(pick people up, drive them to their destination, repeat until you run out of time) but the execution is perfect.

One of the major things to consider is that you have a limited number of people available in the city of Crazy Taxi. That means during prolonged games you'll find that nearby customers start to become more rare, forcing you to consider different routes in your next game to maximize your earning potential. And even though all that point A point B crap sounds fine on paper you have to keep in mind the constant unforgiving traffic. Getting the most crazy money also requires chaining skills like the crazy through(driving close to cars without smacking them), crazy air(hitting a ramp and catching lots of air), and crazy drift(crazy drifting..whoo). All of these factors are involved in just one trip. Then when you have to consider getting your customer to their destination ASAP and making sure you get enough time to reach your next customer...well it's a lot to absorb.

Which is why design and execution is paramount to making a great arcade game. Seriously folks without design and execution everything falls apart. I have a very low opinion of the rest of the Crazy Taxi series because I think execution falls short on them and some of the new ideas(picking up multiple passengers, jumping) really don't work as well as they could. Maybe the ideas would have worked out better if the stage design was as good as the original CT's city. Granted the city is pretty basic in design but that's part of the appeal. It's easy to memorize and destinations are simple to keep track of, allowing you more time to focus on your driving. Some of the later cities in the CT series are just outright confusing and it's hard to get anywhere.

So as a gamer your goal is to shoot for a "CRAZY" rating in Crazy Taxi. Hell I don't even mind if you set the timer options all the way for your benefit. I used to do around $35k but these days I'd be lucky to claim half that.

Andrex said:
Definitely Crazy Taxi, but House of the Dead 4 should be somewhere on the list. My favorite arcade game personally. <3

I think it should be noted that House of the Dead 2 was so good that HoTD3 and 4 are clearly very different games when you get down to it. I guess Sega realized that the whole "bigger and better" spiel wouldn't really work out for a sequel to HoTD2 so they went with trying out some new weapons and going from there.

HotD4 is fantastic btw, though IMO most of the appeal comes from the Uzi. I really can't imagine playing a home port without that thing(sort of like playing Ghost Squad without that crazy Special Forces setup in the arcade)

ghibli99

PepsimanVsJoe said:
4.Dodonpachi (PSX)
7.Bemani..y'know like DDR, Beatmania, etc (Various PS2 releases)
12.Space Harrier (Probably the Space Harrier Sega Ages on PS2, though the SH available on Shenmue is spiffy as well)
19.Shinobi (Ouch tough one. Probably the PC-Engine version)
23.Galactic Attack/Gunlock/Ray Force (Taito Legends 2 Xbox or one of the Taito Memories sets, the Saturn version is also excellent and less than $10 on ebay)
35.ESP Galuda (PS2)
36.TRON (XBLA)
39.Elevator Action Returns (Taito Legends 2/Memories)
40.Point Blank (PSX is fine though you can snag all three games easy for import PS2)

Some of my all-time favorites! Regarding OR2, I tend to play the OG Out Run more than the updated versions, although those are great fun and were some of my favorite games on the Xbox. Nice work on the list.

ghibli99 said:
Some of my all-time favorites! Regarding OR2, I tend to play the OG Out Run more than the updated versions, although those are great fun and were some of my favorite games on the Xbox. Nice work on the list.

I'd kill for an arcade perfect port of Outrunners(the Genesis port BLOWS!)
Hell a Outrun 2 SP style remake of Outrunners would be quite nice as well. Seeing the underwater stage on Lindbergh hardware would be drool.

Tain

Also, I like where this thread is going.

It's easy enough to get people to see that fighting games have some sort of complexity to them, but other arcade genres are often disregarded in that weird "yeah, these are awesome because of their simplicity" stance.

It's like everybody has this weird surface level liking of arcade games without actually playing them or understanding them.

"Yeah, arcade games are awesome!"

"...For ten bucks on XBLA!"

I'd recommend the PC version of Sega Rally 2 over the DC port, even though I could never get the damned thing to play its soundtrack from the CD. It also came with a "multiplayer disc" to give to a friend, heh.

Edit: Disregard that. I only just now saw "(best console version to get)" at the top of the list.

Dave Long

Banned
Konami's Road Fighter should be on that list. It's one of the greatest racing games and has a very unique appeal.

Also, Gunblade NY... nothing like it (except the pseudo sequel, L.A. Machinegunners).

Yagharek

PepsimanVsJoe said:
This is true. Especially considering a number of great beatemups have used mechanics taken from fighting games yet I haven't listed any fighters. I am a bit of a dick though so one has to take that into consideration.

Personally though I think a list of the best fighting games ever would serve better than attempting to shoehorn everything together. My main focus with this particular list is to play up important titles that don't fall into the typical arcade genres of fighter and shooter.

Your thread, your perogative. Im not telling you what to include. I reckon we all know what sort of arcade fighting games are worth playing in any case. If you are going to evangelise some lesser known (but still good) titles then you will hear no complaints from me :)

Red Scarlet

I liked Wizards and Warriors, and played an arcade game that reminded me of it quite a bit. It's probably total crap now, but did anyone else play (or finish) Legend of Makai? I thought it was cool, but I was like 5.

2. Black Tiger is a simple game to figure out. You're this guy with a flail, you wear armor, and you go through eight stages flailing things, buying stuff, rescuing old men, and so on. Once again folks it's all about design and execution.

Capcom knows D&E better than most developers so let's consider what works. Your main character wears armor and can take maybe two or three hits from most encounters(certain enemies/objects can kill you outright though). Fans of action-platformers will be familiar with staples like spike-pits, falling rocks, and buying powerups. The challenge here is not only to survive but to also score lots of points(because nobody plays an arcade game for the shitty one-screen ending). Scoring lots of points is simple as all you have to do is kill things. Stopping you from doing so however is the things that can kill you and the clock. The clock by the way isn't exactly generous as if you screw around for even a little bit you can find yourself in dire straits.

After repeated playthroughs you'll be familiar with which old men are shopkeepers. They sell weapon upgrades(which are very important), keys(medium importance), armor(extremely important), and antidote(somewhat important). Thus you may want to consider what you need over what you want. Scoring does help your survival rate though as after a certain number of points your vitality increases(hey just like a levelup!) Hidden items help round out the exploration aspects, giving you reason to flail walls with impunity.

Either way it's simple enough and hey any game can do this right? Well without Capcom's mastery of design & execution they'd have a bit of trouble I bet. Black Tiger succeeds because the controls are solid and the gameplay is easy to get into. Aspects such as the previously mentioned hidden items and a greater grasp and memorization of the level allows players to kill more stuff and thus get higher scores(and getting those vitality boosts that'll make later stages easier).

My challenge to you gamers out there is to see if you can get to stage 4 without continuing. Black Tiger is an incredibly fair game and you'll find that your deaths are all due to your error and a lot of the design elements are to your benefit(like getting smacked by an enemy won't send you flying into a pit). My current best is getting to stage 6 without continuing.

Eric Hall said:
OP: Cadillac's & Dinosaurs was released on the Sega CD
The Sega CD version isn't the arcade version. It's an entirely different game.

Attack You said:
Edit: Disregard that. I only just now saw "(best console version to get)" at the top of the list.

I worded that incorrectly. I should say "best home version to get"(hell I think I mentioned the PC port of Typing of the Dead to be worth a look) so there you go.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Too many shooters. I'm a shooter fan, but you missed a lot of potential arcade greats because this list is shooter heavy.

Where's Double Dragon, WWF Superstars, Mat Mania, Track & Field, Ms. Pacman, Ikari Warriors, the Dungeons & Dragons trivia game, Donkey Kong, Dragon's Lair, Tecmobowl, Time Soldiers, Super Sprint, Twin Cobra, etc.

I give you credit for including Typing of the Dead, Black Tiger, Samba de Amigo, and Shinobi.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Smash T.V. never came out on the PSN, the only Midway title to actually get released across both services was Joust.

Shard said:
Smash T.V. never came out on the PSN, the only Midway title to actually get released across both services was Joust.

Oops fixed.

Eggo said:
Too many shooters. I'm a shooter fan, but you missed a lot of potential arcade greats because this list is shooter heavy.

Where's Double Dragon, WWF Superstars, Mat Mania, Track & Field, Ms. Pacman, Ikari Warriors, the Dungeons & Dragons trivia game, Donkey Kong, Dragon's Lair, Tecmobowl, Time Soldiers, Super Sprint, Twin Cobra, etc.

Like I said earlier I'm trying to cut back on shooters but most of your suggestions aren't really working for me. Quiz & Dragons(the D&D trivia game) is fun and the character-specific abilities are neat but it's still a Quiz game and it only truly benefits fans of useless knowledge. Dragon's Lair is an arcade classic sure but it's about as shallow as a game can get and doesn't really fit in with the list I've put together(same with Double Dragon though DD also happens to suck). Time Soldiers I'll give a look but Twin Cobra? Sorry but that game bores me to tears(way too long and way too little action).

The rest I'm not sure about.

neight said:
Why do you say the Saturn version of Daytona is the closest to the arcade gameplay wise? I love that game on my Saturn and have been meaning to get the Dreamcast version.

Well when you look past the fact that the Saturn version runs at about 15 FPS(compared to the arcade version's 60) is loaded with all kinds of nasty looking effects and overall poor graphics you'll find that it plays just about as well as the arcade version.
The Dreamcast version on the other hand was handled by Genki and it shows. The handling is slippery at best and even after tuning it to almost-sort-of-but-not-quite-arcade-perfect you'll find that the other aspects(AI cars in particular) just don't work as well. Couple that with the disappointing graphics(they got the framerate right but the colors look wrong and completely idiotic things like Sonic Mountain facing the wrong way are just aggravating) and completely worthless online mode and...ah forget it. Everytime I talk about Dreamcast Daytona I get this bitter rage thing going and then black out.

neight

Banned
Why do you say the Saturn version of Daytona USA is the closest to the arcade gameplay wise? I love that game on my Saturn and have been meaning to get the Dreamcast version.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
My current list would look something like:
Zero Gunner 2
2Spicy
Virtua Cop 3
Mocap Boxing
Alien vs Predator
The Punisher
Soul Calibur 2
Tekken 6
Street Fighter IV