• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someguy named Reeves: “OH MIGHTY SALMON, PROTECT ME FROM BEAR, WHO WISHES TO HARM ME”

TheOddOne

http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/08/25/reeves-sometimes-its-an-advantage-to-be-last-i********/

Speaking to VG247 at Games Convention last week, SCEE president David Reeves said that Sony’s announcement-heavy presentation at the show on Wednesday was thanks to only moving on service and product confirmations in Europe when “everything’s ironed out” on a global level.

“Well, I think that was the point,” said the exec when asked of the significance of making global product announcements in Europe.

“People say, ‘Well, why do we always get things last? Why can’t we say things?’ Well, I’ve said this many times before: sometimes it’s an advantage to be last in Europe, you know, when everything’s ironed out.

“This time, we do have things to say in the European [market]. We have the music service, and we’re doing great things on SingStar and there’s more to come. These are global announcements.

“They recognize that the show’s in Europe, whether it’s in Leipzig, Cologne or London: we can do the announcements wherever. So they said to us in Tokyo, ‘Do you want to do it here?’ And we said, ‘Yeah, we’d love to do it here.’”

Reeves led a sparkling presentation at Games Convention, during which Sony announced a 160Gb PS3 SKU, the PSP-3000, made the first showing of playable footage of Quantic’s Heavy Rain, announced the next SingStar and more.

Wollan

Are we going to have a thread about this?

The logic itself is true.
We get stuff last so usually problem with earlier versions has been dealt with.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well said Reeves!

Oh wait.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Wollan said:
Are we going to have a thread about this?

Yepp.

Then again, I'd rather have a decent version early and update it after a while (assuming the issues with the game aren't that bad and mainly minor things).

Wollan

ItsInMyVeins said:
Yepp.

Then again, I'd rather have a decent version early and update it after a while if it's not game breaking problems we're talking about here.
Of course. But this is just a snippet of his commentary. He pointed out one positive in what is overall a problem. Cue thread.

Billen

Banned
Crap like this made me evade the PS3 in the first place. Everytime some Sony representative says stupid shit like this, there is a bunch of people buying a 360 instead of a PS3. :D

And oh, I do own a PS3 nowadays.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Wollan said:
Of course. But this is just a snippet of his commentary. He pointed out one positive in what is overall a problem. Cue thread.

Yeah, I know. It's not like he's saying "it's an advantage to be in Europe", he's just pointing out one good thing with getting games late or whatever.

hteng

Banned
are they implying that they are last place in sales in europe or releasing games late in europe? doesn't make sense to me at all

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
hteng said:
are they implying that they are last place in sales in europe or releasing games late in europe? doesn't make sense to me at all

That's the Reeves Effect™ in action.

Do you think if we all ignored Reeves, he might go away?
If you work in the industry and Sony PR phones you up to ask "Would you like an interview with David Reeves?", reply "Who?" and hang up. He might leave by himself if we stop paying attention to his moronic ramblings.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
poor Reeves , he just can't catch a break. Doesn't seem to be saying anything too outlandish, cops it from all corners.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I completely forgot we didn't had internet connections in europe. It's not like we can download patches "ironing out" games...

That's damage control for you I guess.

diss

Banned
Well, I’ve said this many times before: no it's not you stupid motherfucker.

Fire him! Fire him! ARrhghhghahrhrhhr. He's so lost it hurts my brain.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think he's said this before. We probably had a thread on it then too.

He's not a PR guy. He just says whatever he wants, whether you want to hear it or not. Still, I would love to know where the Mirror's Edge stuff came from, though (or if that was a Heise mis-interpretation).

alisdair

Wollan said:
Can you give any examples? Because I really can't think of any.

Take the PS3 for example: they ironed out that pesky PS2 backwards compatibility! Thanks, Sony!

DCharlie

i find it disturbing when GAFfers start calling for people to lose thier jobs over stuff like this. Seriously - what the hell is wrong with some of you?

As Wollan has already said, there's more than some truth to what he is saying.

This is what comes into my head everytime i read Reeves

z23hl.jpg

...It's Reevee!!!

diss

Banned
gofreak said:
I think he's said this before. We probably had a thread on it then too.

He's not a PR guy. He just says whatever he wants, whether you want to hear it or not. Still, I would love to know where the Mirror's Edge stuff came from, though (or if that was a Heise mis-interpretation).
That was Heise.de fucking up. Here is the thing:

The PS3 will be continuously supplied with exclusive games: “We are continuously, month after month publish new titles that bring something unique and different target groups. In a month, it is Gran Turismo, in the next SingStar, as well as Third-Party Title as mirrors Edge by Electronic Arts are part of this strategy. “ According to Reeves Mirrors Edge will initially exclusively for the PS3 this year. PC and Xbox 360 versions would follow much later.

Let's cut out the thing Reeves actually said:

“We are continuously, month after month publish new titles that bring something unique and different target groups. In a month, it is Gran Turismo, in the next SingStar, as well as Third-Party Title as mirrors Edge by Electronic Arts are part of this strategy.“

Completely innocuous statement, assuming the translation is somewhat accurate. He never actually says that it is a PS3 third party exclusive! What he actually said in those quotes is like Don Mattrick coming out and saying the next games in their pipeline are Gears 2, Fable 2 and Guitar Hero World Tour. So it's not his fault at all.

However this, what we have here in this thread, is prime evidence of why Reeves actually is a fucking idiot.

DCharlie

Vic_Reeves_Big_Night_Out_001_004_002_001.jpg

>> Did i ever tell you about how Mirror's Edge might be PS3 exclusive, except it's probably not?
> I heard that rumour!
>> I know , i started it !

> Do you know that all PS2 games will be backwards compatible through firmware by the end of the year?
>> You lying get!
> YOU lying get!

Xater

Please just fire this man Sony.

THis is the most stupid thing I heard lately besides the Mirror'S Edge exclusive deal which was also from him!

DCharlie

He who laughs last getz teh last laugh. In yurope especially

i think that applies universally....

He who laughs last laughs last?

I think Kittonwy might be in line for a Sony europe job....

Pein

Banned
alisdair said:
Can you give any examples? Because I really can't think of any.

Take the PS3 for example: they ironed out that pesky PS2 backwards compatibility! Thanks, Sony!
shadow of the colossus

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I love importing games for half the price due to late europe releases, thanks publishers and reeves of course.

See it's all good, and according to Reeves you can just download the PSP games off of Bittorrent, if you don't want to wait :lol .

Heise even asked DICE about it, who were quoted to not know anything about it yet.

Unless we get a transcript of the interview we'll never know who is at fault here, but judging by Reeves track record my money is on him.

Neo 007

This guy is a Fuckstick.

Downloaded the Leipzig Keynote he did and all I herd was basically
"We are constantly looking at creating ways to rip you,the poor basted consumer off"

I repeat....This guy is a Fuckstick.

DCharlie

Downloaded the Leipzig Keynote he did and all I herd was basically
"We are constantly looking at creating ways to rip you,the poor basted consumer off"

I repeat....This guy is a Fuckstick.

lol - but isn't this a strategic decission made by the company ?

if people are upset, why are you shooting the messenger if the actual MESSAGE is coming from the Mothership?

or is the belief that what he is saying is divorced from Sony strategy what with him being one of the global heads?

Top Bottom