• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Great Console Save Type and Save Memory Size List

The Great Console Save Types List

This is a guide listing what kind of saving system every console there is information for uses. This should be particularly useful for anyone unclear about which GBA, N64, Genesis, or other games or memory cards use batteries and which use flash memory chips. It is as comprehensive as I can make it.

I've done several lists like this before (example 1, example 2), but this one is longer, more complete, and has more information on it than any previous version. So, I mean "Great" as in "Large", not "amazing". This is a guide listing what kind of saving system every console there is information for uses. This should be particularly useful for anyone unclear about which GBA, N64, Genesis, or other games or memory cards use batteries and which use flash memory chips.

... And yes, I probably went a bit overboard, but I can’t stop until it’s “complete’... or as complete as possible anyway. I've spent a lot of time on this over the past several days... :)

Updates:
9/25, later in the day: added Meganet/TeleGenesis modem, just in case it had some kind of permanent save feature -- this and the Famicom Modem probably shouldn't be on the list, but because I can't find conclusive proof that they don't have a permanent save feature, they are on the list.

11/11: Added Famicom Data Recorder Famicom addon, the V.Smile, V.Flash, and V.Motion consoles for young children from V.Tech, regularized phrasing (so each type is referred to the same way each time it is listed), added "Types of Saving" category to the top of the article for clarity on my terms, and added a table of contents.

4/9/13: GC system clock added.

Changelog continues below:
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Major To Dos:
-Try to find information for the missing entries or parts of entries!

--
Table of Contents
--
Types of Saving
Save Type Descriptions
-Subcategories: Flash Memory Backup Types, Battery Backup Types, Magnetic Media, Online, Other
The List
-Subcategories: (list of manufacturerers in order)
-Console-Computer Hybrids
Specifics
-Subcategories: (TG-16, N64, GBA, Gamecube, GBC, DS, NES, Genesis)
-Sources/Links
Final Notes and Questions

--
Types Of Saving -- The basic categories.
--
On-Cart: For cartridge or card-based games only. The game saves its data onto some kind of chip in the game cartridge.

Ingame: Password: The game doesn't save any hard data, just information on what to load when a specific code is entered. To save a game, write down the displayed password; to load, enter the password and continue. This can be a hassle, but allows saving without expensive batteries or flash chips.

System Internal Save: The system in question has some kind of save memory (a hard drive, flash memory chip, battery-backed-RAM chip, or whatnot) inside the system itself that it uses to save some data and perhaps game saves. See description.

Memory Card: Games save to an external memory card of some kind that you plug directly into the system. These use some kind of chip-based saving, either battery backed or solid-state.

Magnetic Media: There are several types of magnetic media. In some forms, magnetic media drives (listed below) work like memory cards or external backup devices, simply storing data for games on cartridges. In others they act as an internal save, with the game on disk or tape saving any save data the game allows directly to the disk or tape itself. The "Magnetic Media" listing will be a subcategory under the main type this system has, whether external backup device, on-"cart" saving, or system internal save.

External Backup Devices: The system has addons that plug in to a port on the system (expansion port, controller port, or something like that) and contain some form of save memory. When attached these units usually function like internal saves or memory card saves, as long as games support them. See descriptions.

Modem/Internet: The system allows, or allowed, save file backup (or direct saving) via an internet connection to an external server of some sort. See description.

Add-Ons: Miscellaneous other addons. See description.

Save Type Descriptions -- Detailed descriptions of the specific hardwares and methods the above categories use to save their data.
--

Flash Memory Backup Types -- Perhaps the best form of backup. The main limitation is that there is limited number of writes until the chip cannot be written to anymore; this limit varies depending on chip type. Note that after some years of unuse, it is possible for some types of flash memory to lose their data (this will take 10-20 years at least), but until the max number of writes has been hit, you can still save to the chip, and if you just power up the game and refresh the data once every few years or decade or so (simply by saving again), you'll avoid that issue.
--
EEPROM (Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory) -- Supports a medium number of writes (100,000 is perhaps average, though depending on chip this can vary up or down by a factor of 10 or more). The basic flash memory type used by games.

Flash RAM (Flash Memory) -- actually a descendant of EEPROM, these have much larger sizes than EEPROMs, but they often have lower max write limits (that is, in many cases they won't last as long).

FRAM (Ferroelectric RAM) -- Uncommon, but allows far more writes than any other type of flash memory on this list -- Wikipedia lists FRAM (also called FeRAM) as having as much as 10^16 writes, while EEPROM and Flash RAM are listed at 10^6 and 10^5 -- or less. FRAM is technologically very similar to SRAM, so much so that the system can't tell the difference between Battery-Backed SRAM and FRAM or other kinds of non-battery-backed types of nvSRAM (see link at the bottom of the page for more).

Unknown Flash Memory Type

Battery Backup Types -- Great while the battery lasts, but once it dies, everything is gone -- and since these batteries are usually soldered in, replacing them is a real pain. These have at times been referred to as "Flash Memory" as well, so while they technically are their own category, the term "Flash Memory" is not specific enough to on its own say whether or not the memory uses a battery or is stand-alone. Additional information to supply that detail is required, such as using the term "SRAM", which always refers to battery-backed memory (though note that nvSRAM can be flash-based, such as with FRAM, but this is different from standard SRAM. In this guide SRAM always refers to battery-backed memory.).
--
Battery-Backed SRAM (sometimes in a packed-in 'NVRAM' that is actually battery-backed SRAM, such as in the CD-i)
... Backed by...
AA Batteries (these are always user-replaceable)
AAA Batteries (these are also always user-replaceable)
CR2450
CR2032 (the most common type used)
CR2025
CR2320
CR1616 (often used by handhelds)
CR2016
CR2016 Rechargeable (CR2016 holds half the energy of a CR2032 but sends out the same amount of power, so they have a shorter lifespan)
Unknown Rechargeable Battery Type
Unknown Battery Type

Magnetic Media -- Great while they last, and the whole disk can be written to, but don't get these near a powerful magnet! Also, the more you use it, the more likely it will degrade.
--
Hard Disk Drive
Floppy Disk
Cassette Tape

--
Modem/Internet, with the following notes to show services offered:
Dialup, Broadband, Wireless connection types with service types:
Single Service Only (XBand, for instance – can only connect to one provider with the system, limited services)
Direct-Dial (direct modem-to-modem connections, mostly just for gaming)
Limited Internet - Gaming Only (you can configure/connect to your own internet provider, but you can only actually connect to certain services, most likely the multiplayer gaming service, not an actual web browser)
Full Internet (you can configure/connect to your own internet provider, has a web browser)

Online modes are applicable here for any service which includes a download/upload component for files on your system – online services without some kind of permanent file download or file transfer capabilities shouldn’t be on this list.

Other
--
Capacitor-backed RAM -- Like rechargeable battery backed RAM, this requires power to keep a charge, so it needs to be regularly plugged in.

Unknown -- I don't know. Any help?

Format:

Console Name
--
Location of save type: Save Type (Battery Type) (Save Memory Size in KB or MB, if available and standard) ("Memory Card Name") (Notes)

The List
--
Notes: This list should be consoles-only, not computers, though console addons that turn them into computers should be mentioned, if the system is, at base, a console. For cartridge-based system games which save to cartridge, this only applies for games with on-cart saving, obviously. For clarity, this list will not say which game uses which type for systems that support multiple save types. If available, this information will be in future sections. Systems with games with password save are listed, but I'm not entirely sure that the password-options list is correct. All data here is, as far as I know, accurate, but if something is wrong, correct me and I will fix it. I am not including unlicenced backup accessories.

For systems that are not mentioned, either I do not know about whether they support saving, or they do not support saving.

--
All Pre-Crash Systems Not Otherwise Mentioned
--
No Saving (not even passwords, the NES introduced password saving as far as I know.)

--
Coleco
--

Colecovision with Adam addon
--
See "Console-Computer Hybrids" section

--
Nintendo
--

NES
--
Ingame: Password (certain titles)
On-Cart: SRAM (CR2032)
External Backup Devices: Magnetic Media (Cassette Tape): Famicom Data Recorder (Japan only) (saves to cassette tape) (see notes for compatible games) (this is an add-on for the Family Basic Keyboard Famicom add-on, listed below. It allows saving to cassette tape for specific supported games -- plug in one of these games instead of the Family Basic cartridge, with the keyboard attached and tape drive plugged into it, and the game will recognize the drive and allow custom level saving and loading.)

Famicom Basic Keyboard (NES add-on) (Japan only)
--

Famicom Disk System (FDS) (NES add-on) (Japan only)
--
Magnetic Media: 3" Floppy Disk Drive (proprietary format)

Modem/Internet: Single Service (Famicom Communication Adapter, aka the Famicom Modem or Famicom Network) (NES add-on) (Japan only)
--
Frustratingly, I just cannot find information on if this system can save data. There is a suggestion in the N-Sider article that the never-released US version was going to have floppy disk (US FDS?) support, but while the service definitely had downloads, I just can't find anything that says whether you could save them or not. Bah! There are several links about the service at the bottom... but they don't seem to answer this important question. Does anyone know the answer (maybe the page in Japanese says more than the Google Translator can figure out?)? Lacking any other info I have to assume that it couldn't save things.

SNES
--
On-Cart: SRAM (CR2032)

Broadcast Satellaview (BS-X) (SNES add-on) (Japan only)
--
System Internal Save: Unknown "Flash Memory" (unknown type, or whether it's battery-backed or battery-free flash memory -- I can't find anything that says it has a battery, but "flash memory" isn't enough for me to say for sure it is actually Flash RAM, not some kind of SRAM.) (256KB) (Japan only)

Memory Card: Unknown "Flash Memory" (same qualifications as the internal save) (1MB) (for saving download games)

N64
--
On-Cart: SRAM (CR2032) (32KB), Flash RAM (128KB), EEPROM (8 or 16 KB) (type depends on game; EEPROM is the most popular by far)

Memory Card: SRAM (CR2032) (256KB) ("Controller Pak") (yes, Controller Paks are battery-backed. But why, if they're twice as large as PSX or DC memory cards, do they not seem to actually hold any more save files than the cards on those systems?)

Magnetic Media: Nintendo 64 Disk Drive (64DD): Floppy Disk (proprietary format) (64MB)

Gamecube
--
Memory Card: Flash RAM (512KB, 2MB, and 8MB sizes) ("Nintendo Gamecube Memory Card"), Flash RAM (SD Card standard format, requires adapter, Japan only, only supported by one game)

System Internal Save (system clock): Battery (CR2032)

Game Boy
--
On-Cart: SRAM (CR1616)

Virtual Boy
--
On-Cart: SRAM (CR1616)

Game Boy Color
--
On-Cart: SRAM (CR1616 or 2025 (the latter perhaps for titles with real-time clocks only?)), EEPROM (EEPROM is used by only a few titles)

Modem/Internet: Cell Phone Connector (Mobile Adapter GB) (Japan only) (Works with KDDI Cellphones and Pokemon Crystal JP version only – allows monster trading, a few other things)

Game Boy Advance
--
On-Cart: SRAM (CR2016) (32KB), EEPROM (0.5KB, 8KB), Flash RAM (64KB, 128KB), FRAM (32KB) (Type depends on game)

E-Reader Games: No Saving

Nintendo DS
--
On-Cart: EEPROM (0.5KB, 8KB, 64KB), FRAM (32KB), Flash RAM (256KB, 512KB) (Type depends on game)

Wii
--
System Internal Save: Flash RAM (512MB)

Memory Card: Flash RAM (SD Card standard format, various sizes, supports up to 2GB sized cards)

Modem/Internet: Broadband, Wireless Semi-Full Internet (there’s a web browser, but you can only download (or play games online) from Nintendo’s proprietary service.)

--
Sega
--

Master System
--
On-Cart: SRAM (Unknown Battery Type, but likely CR2032)

A Floppy Disk Drive was planned, but not relelased.

Genesis
--
On-Cart: SRAM (CR2032), FRAM, EEPROM (Type depends on game, but FRAM and EEPROM are each used by only a small number of titles, most games with saving have SRAM.)

Modem/Internet: Single Service (Meganet Modem, "Mega Anser" service; the unreleased US version would have been called the TeleGenesis modem) (Japan only) (Like the Famicom Modem, I don't know if this could save data. The thing comes with a cartridge as well as the modem, but could you save games to that cartridge? None of the articles I found on it really say that clearly one way or the other, though one suggests likely not, so that will have to be my assumption -- though I'd love to know for sure. See links for more.

Game Gear
--
On-Cart: SRAM (Unknown Battery Type)

Sega CD (Genesis add-on)
--
System Internal Save: SRAM (CR2016 Rechargeable) (8KB) (when they die many people replace these with normal, non-rechargeable cell batteries, but it would be best to replace it with a rechargeable one, to maximize the battery's life)

Memory Card: SRAM (CR2450) (128KB) ("CD Back-Up RAM Cart") (see links for source of battery type)

Sega 32X (Genesis add-on)
--
On-Cart: SRAM (CR2032), EEPROM, FRAM (EEPROM only used in Acclaim titles with saving, FRAM by only one game. See list below for details.)

Saturn
--
System Internal Save: SRAM (CR2032) (user-replaceable) (32KB)

Memory Card: Unknown Flash Memory Type (likely EEPROM, maybe Flash RAM) (512KB) (There are two models of Japanese card, HSS-0111 and HSS-0138. There are one model each in the US and Europe, 80101 and MK-80300 respectively. Unclear on if the two Japanese models have any differences beyond their boxes. SRAM Saturn card on the link below -- fake, or real?) ("Sega Saturn Backup", models listed above)

Magnetic Media: Floppy Disk Drive (3.5" standard format) (only released in Japan) (only supported by a few titles)

Modem/Internet: Dialup Direct-Dial and Full Internet (NetLink Modem, US only), Dialup Single Service (Xband/SegaNet Saturn Modem, Japan only) (With the NetLink, you can access the internet and upload files to outside email addresses for backup, and play direct-dial online games. The Japanese SegaNet and Xband online gaming services required access to specific servers which have been long offline, but you may still be able to access the internet on one via a dialup ISP.)

Dreamcast
--
System Internal Save: SRAM (Unknown Rechargeable Battery Type) (for the clock), unknown Flash RAM (for system configuration settings and internet connection settings only)

Memory Card: Flash RAM (128KB) ("Visual Memory Unit", or VMU)

Modem/Internet: Dialup and Broadband Full Internet (PlanetWeb) (You can upload and download save files and downloadable content from the internet. Online gaming workarounds available for a few games.)

A Zip Disk (Floppy Disk format) drive was planned, but not released.

--
Sony
--

Playstation
--
Memory Card: Flash RAM (128KB) ("Memory Card")

Playstation 2
--
Memory Card: Flash RAM (8MB) ("Memory Card (8MB) (PlayStation2)")

Magnetic Media: Hard Disk Drive (~8GB) (Can backup memory cards to it, a few games allow HDD download for faster loading times, mods open more features, official Linux kit sort of turns it into a PC – though the package is rare and uncommon.

Modem/Internet: Dialup and Broadband Limited Internet (connection to that game’s server only, unless you’re using that Linux kit – which is the only place you’ll get any downloads, so for this the ‘computer’ aspect is the only part that matters.)

PlayStation Portable
--
Memory Card: Flash RAM (Memory Stick PRO standard format, various sizes)

Modem/Internet: Wireless Internet with downloadable content from official store

Playstation 3
--
System Internal Save (Magnetic Media): Hard Disk Drive (20GB, 40GB, 60GB, 80GB, and more sizes, user-switchable)

Memory Card: Flash RAM (8MB) (legacy PS2 card support, connects via adapter for file transfer to PS3 HDD only), Flash RAM (Memory Stick PRO, CompactFlash (CF), and SD standard formats, various sizes supported) (only in certain models)

Modem/Internet: Broadband, Wireless Internet with downloadable content from official store

--
Microsoft
--

Xbox
--
System Internal Save: Hard Disk Drive (8GB)

Memory Card: Flash RAM (8MB) ("Xbox Memory Unit")

Xbox 360
--
Memory Card: Flash RAM (64MB, 256MB, and 512MB sizes) ("Xbox 360 Memory Unit")

External Backup Devices (Magnetic Media): Hard Disk Drive (20GB, 60GB, 160GB sizes)

Modem/Internet: Broadband, Wireless Internet with downloadable content from official store

--
NEC
--

TurboGrafx-16
--
On-Cart: SRAM (CR2320) (only used in one Japan-only title and the memory card)

TurboBooster Plus (add-on with save memory and A/V hookups -- do not confuse this with the standard TurboBooster, which only adds the A/V hookups)
--
System Internal Save: Capacitor-backed RAM (2KB) (yes, really, it's backed by a capacitor... )

Turbo CD, Duo, Duo R, and Duo RX (Turbo CD is a TurboGrafx-16 add-on, the others are stand-alone units incorporating both)
--
System Internal Save: Capacitor-backed RAM (same size as TurboBooster Plus)

Memory Card: SRAM (CR2320) (8KB) ("Tennokoe Bank") (only released in Japan, looks like a normal HuCard except for the name)

External Backup Devices (all Japan only): 4xAA Batteries (unknown size) ("Memory Base 128") (Only supported by certain titles), 1xAA Battery (unknown size) ("Tennokoe 2"), AA Battery (unknown size) ("Back-Up Booster 1"), Rechargable built-in NiCd Battery (unknown size) ("Back-Up Booster 2"), unknown battery (unknown size) ("Back-Up Unit", for the ShuttleGrafx) (See link below for more information)

PC-FX
--
System Internal Save: SRAM (unknown size) (32KB) (see links at bottom for proof)

Memory Card: 2xAAA Batteries (128KB), plus small internal rechargeable battery (unknown type) ("FX-BMP" Memory Expansion Module) (see links at bottom for more on this hardware)

--
Atari (post-1983 systems)
--

--
Memory Card: SRAM (CR2032) (16K) ("7800 High Score Cartridge") (Originally designed for release with the original 1984 version of the system, but canceled and never released. Fans found the plans and made and sold some a few years ago so it does now exist, but only a few games, 9 of the initial games for the system, support it.) (See link below for more information)

Lynx
--
On-Cart: EEPROM (to the best of my knowledge, these are only used in some of the more recent, homebrew releases. The classic Lynx games all are password or no saving only.)

Jaguar
--
On-Cart: EEPROM (varying sizes depending on game)

Jaguar CD
--
Memory Card: EEPROM (128KB) ("Memory Track" cartridge)

--
SNK
--

Neo-Geo
--
Memory Card: SRAM (Unknown, but likely CR2032) (2KB) (uses 68-pin JEIDA ver.3 (SRAM) card format -- the original SNK cards are tiny 2KB cards, but the system accepts any card in that 68-pin JEIDA ver.3 (PCMCIA-like) format, including ones in much larger sizes.)

Neo-Geo CD
--
System Internal Save: SRAM (unknown rechargeable battery) (2KB) (yes, it doesn't support Neo-Geo memory cards, for some reason.) (link below)

Neo-Geo Pocket, Neo-Geo Pocket Color
--
System Internal Save: Unknown Battery (small watch battery type, saves system settings and keeps the clock)

On-Cart: Flash RAM (512KB to 2MB depending on game)

--
3DO
--

3DO
--
System Internal Save: SRAM (FZ1: CR2354; other models are likely the same - see links for source) (32KB)

External Backup Devices: SRAM () (256KB) (Japan release only, probably, hooks up via the add-on port.) ("Memory Unit", model FZ-EM256) (SRAM according to the box -- I don't know for sure that that's what's in it, but the box does say that. ) (See links below for more.)

--
Phillips
--

CD-i
--
System Internal Save: 'NVRAM' SRAM (packed-in save chip with battery inside NVRAM casing -- to replace, you must replace the whole NVRAM unit. The type of NVRAM unit and save memory size vary depending on CD-i model in question, but the most common ones are (M48T08) (8KB), though check your CD-i model, and the site linked below, for more info. Some models have larger save memories -- there is also reference to a model with a 32KB NVRAM size.)

--
Tapwave
--

Zodiac
--
System Internal Save: Flash RAM (32MB or 128MB, depending on model)

Memory Cards (standard formats): MultiMediaCards (MMC), SD Cards, SDIO

--
Pioneer
--

LaserActive (see links for more info)
--
LaserActive Mega LD games (requires Sega PAC add-on): See Sega CD section above for saving info (if any titles support it)

LaserActive LD-ROM2 games (requires NEC PAC add-on): See Turbo CD section above for saving info (if any titles support it)

Note – the LaserActive cannot play LaserActive games on its own; it requires an add-on to do that. In addition, the games for the two add-ons are mutually incompatible, so a LaserActive with just a Sega PAC cannot play LD-ROM2 games and vice versa. All games were made for just one format or the other, not both. And the system launched at $970 and the add-ons at $600 each.

(continued in next post)

--
Nokia
--

N-Gage (dedicated system, not the phone service)
--
System Internal Save: Flash RAM (4MB)

Memory Card: Flash RAM (MMC Card standard format) (32, 64, 128, 256, and 512MB sizes officially supported)

--
VM Labs
--

Nuon
--

There was going to be a memory card, but the system died before it could be released.

--
Tiger Electronics
--

R-Zone (if you call it a console)
--
No Saving

Game.com
--
System Internal Save: SRAM (unknown button-cell battery) (unknown size)

Some games with on-cart save batteries (to be able to save more, like for an RPG) were planned, but none of them were released.

--
Commodore
--

Amiga CDTV
--
(borderline system, often called a PC – I’ll leave it out for now -- but overall it's similar to the CD32 features-wise, with 1KB of internal Flash RAM)

Amiga CD32
--
System Internal Save: Flash RAM (1KB)

Add-Ons: The Serial Port and Expansion Module connectors can connect a Hard Drive, Floppy Drive, or other storage medium devices as well, to turn it into a mini Amiga computer.

--
Tiger Telematics
--

Gizmondo
--
On-Cart: Flash memory, very likely Flash RAM

Memory Cards: Flash RAM (SD, MMC standard formats, many sizes supported)

--
Game Park
--

GP32
--
Memory Card: Flash RAM (Smart Media standard format)

GP2X
--
Memory Card: Flash RAM (SD, SDHC standard formats)

--
Bandai
--

Playdia
--
Unknown, likely no saving

WonderSwan
--
System Internal Save: EEPROM (1KB) (for system settings/config data)

In Cart: SRAM (unknown battery type), EEPROM (type varies depending on game)

WonderSwan Color/Crystal
--
System Internal Save: EEPROM (1KB) (for system settings/config data)

In Cart: SRAM (unknown battery type), EEPROM (type varies depending on game)

--
Apple/Bandai
--

Pippin
--
System Internal Save: Flash RAM (128KB)

Add-ons: As the system is essentially a mini Macintosh in a box, it has a built-in modem and serial and network ports for connection to many Macintosh accessories and networks -- floppy disk drive, internet, etc, for use for data save/transfer.

--
Funtech
--

Super A'Can (Taiwan only system)
--
On-Cart: SRAM (unknown battery type, likely CR2032) (for more information, see links below)

--
Mattel
--

Intellivision
--

HyperScan
--
On the RFID Cards: Unknown, almost certainly Flash RAM or EEPROM (96 bytes of user memory + 8 bytes unique ID + 6 bytes of one time programmable memory) (see links for source/info)

--
APF
--

Imagination Machine computer with MP-1000 console attached (see links)
--

--
Tomy
--

Tomy Tutor with Data Recorder addon (addon required for saving) (see links)
--

--
Radofin and others (see links for complete list of systems)
--

1292 and clones with 16 or 3016 Hobby Module cartridge and a tape recorder (note that this is for homebrew programs only, not retail games, but those homebrew programs do support saving if it is programmed in)
--
Magnetic Media (Cassette Tape)

--
Fujitsu
--

FM Towns Marty (Japan only system)
--
Magnetic Media (Floppy Disk) (games are on CD, save to floppy -- it's a computer conversion)

--
Casio
--

Loopy ("My Seal Computer", Japan only release)
--
Unknown -- it's not clear to me if this system had saving, other than the attached printer. If there was any, it'd be on-cart. See links for more on the system.

--
Watara and others
--

SuperVision, Mega Duck/Cougar Boy, GameKing
--
Unknown, no saving? The various links available from Wikipedia don’t mention any saving in any of these handhelds, anyway, as far as I can tell.

--
V.Tech
--

V.Smile
--
On-Cart: Flash memory (unknown type) (see notes)

V.Flash
--
Memory Card: Flash memory (unknown type, likely Flash RAM) (see notes)

V.Smile V.Motion
--
On-Cart: Flash memory (unknown type) (see notes)
Memory Card: Flash memory (unknown type but almost certainly Flash RAM) ("V.Link") (used for copying saves to a Windows computer, where (once required software is installed) they are uploaded to the V.Tech online network and can be compared with other players' scores) (see notes for links)

--
Console-Computer Hybrids
--

These are systems which are in part definitely a console, but are also in part definitely a computer. Thus computer set-top boxes do not count as they are probably not definitely consoles as well as computers.

--
Nintendo
--

Famicom with Famicom Data Recorder addon
--
External Backup Device: Magnetic Media (Cassette Tape): Famicom Data Recorder (Japan only) (In addition to allowing saving for certain cart-based games as mentioned above, the data recorder's actual main purpose is to be the Family Basic Keyboard's save mechanism. The tapes save programs you made for later use, or load programs on tapes sold at retail. That is, it makes the Famicom into a simple computer.) (The Family Basic Keyboard's keyboard unit attaches via the Famicom's accessory port. Use the Family Basic cartridge to use the keyboard. As NESes do not have the Famicom's Adapter port, however, and instead use standard NES controller ports for accessories, the Famicom Data Recorder cannot be used with any Western NES model but requires a Japanese system.) (see links for more info)

Coleco
--
Colecovision with Coleco Adam addon
--
Magnetic Media (Cassette Tape, Floppy Disk)

Mattel
--
Intellivision with Entertainment Computer System (ECS) addon
--
--
APF
--

Imagination Machine computer with MP-1000 console attached (see links)
--
Magnetic Media (Cassette Tape) (Saving is only available for cassette-based computer programs, not for MP-1000 cartridges)

--
Tomy
--

Tomy Tutor with Data Recorder addon (addon required for saving) (see links)
--

Other systems
--
Unknown

--
Specifics: Lists or links to lists of which games use which save types on platforms with multiple save types, if that data is available.
--

NES
--
The games or products the Famicom Data Recorder works with: Family Basic Keyboard, Excitebike, Mach Rider, Wrecking Crew (see links for source)

Gamecube
--
The one game supporting the SD card adapter is Animal Crossing Plus.

Nintendo 64
--
On-Cart SRAM: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, 1080 Snowboarding, F-Zero X, The New Tetris, WCW vs. NWO Revenge, Mario Golf, Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber (also supports controller pak), Resident Evil 2, Super Smash Bros., WWF Wrestlemania 2000, Major League Baseball Starring Ken Griffey Jr., Harvest Moon 64, Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 (Japan), and perhaps some of the other Japan-only titles; the information I can find is complete for the US/EU titles only.

On-Cart Flash RAM: Command & Conquer, Jet Force Gemini Kiosk, Jet Force Gemini, Ken Griffey Jr's Slugfest, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Megaman 64, NBA Courtside 2 featuring Kobe Bryant, Paper Mario, Pokemon Puzzle League, Pokemon Snap, Pokemon Stadium, Pokemon Stadium 2, Starcraft 64, Tigger's Honey Hunt, WWF: No Mercy.

The rest of US-released games with on-cart save have EEPROMs, while all controller paks have SRAM. A complete list of all titles, separated by type, is available at the noted link below.

Game Boy / Game Boy Color
--
CR2025 instead of the standard CR1616: Pokemon Gold/Silver, probably more (Pokemon Platinum, almost certainly). (Note that Gold/Silver is dual-mode GB/GBC, but Platinum is GBC only. This is likely irrelevant for battery type, though.)

Virtual Boy
--
Games with battery save: Virtual Boy Wario Land, Galactic Pinball, Teleroboxer, SD Gundam Dimension War (Japan only title), Virtual Fishing (Japan only title) maybe 3-D Tetris

Game Boy Color
--
On-Cart EEPROM: Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble

I know of no other GBC games with EEPROM instead of SRAM. Is this wrong?

GBA
--
While save file sizes are all known, and Flash RAM games can be distinguished, because of how FRAM works, emulation cannot tell the difference between SRAM and FRAM. As a result, the only way to know which games are which is to open each cart in question and look at whether there is a battery inside or not. See the link below for a searchable database of all GBA games, but know that the "SRAM" listing also includes all FRAM titles. The "SRAM_F" type MAY be FRAM, but I have no proof that the "SRAM_F" games are all FRAM while the "SRAM_V" ones all have batteries.

DS
--
Search site linked below. Note -- no DS games have internal batteries, all are different types of flash memory. Thus, for most people, this information is far less important than the GBA info.

Genesis
--
On-Cart FRAM: Sonic the Hedgehog 3

On-Cart EEPROM: NBA Jam, NBA Jam T.E., Blockbuster World Video Game Championship II (NBA Jam T.E. portion), Charles Barkley's Shut Up and Jam! 2, College Slam, Unnecessary Roughness '95, NFL Quarterback Club, NFL Quarterback Club '95, Frank Thomas Big Hurt Baseball, Rings of Power, NHLPA Hockey '93, Wonder Boy in Monster World, Evander 'Real Deal' Holyfield's Boxing, Greatest Heavyweights of the Ring, Sports Talk Baseball, Mega Man: The Wily Wars (Genesis, JP/EU release only, only the second release ([alt] rom) of the Japanese version uses EEPROM; the original Japanese version uses SRAM. The European version uses EEPROM only.), (The following games were only released in PAL territories) Micro Machines 2, Micro Machines Turbo Tournament '96, Micro Machines Military, Brian Lara Cricket '96, Shane Warne Cricket.

All other US/EU-released games with on-cart saving have SRAM, as far as I know. I'd love to be proven wrong and have it shown that more titles used FRAM than just Sonic 3! As for Japan-only titles, I have no information that any of them use anything other than SRAM, so I will assume that that is what they all use, barring any information to the contrary.

Sega 32X
--
On-Cart EEPROM: NBA Jam T.E., NFL Quarterback Club

On-Cart FRAM: Knuckles Chaotix, Virtua Racing Deluxe (Japanese version only, US and European versions do not have any kind of saving)

All other games with saving have batteries as far as I know.

TurboGrafx-16
--
On-Cart SRAM: Populous (Japan only), Tennokoe Bank memory card

Memory Base 128-supporting titles: Emerald Dragon, Popful Mail, Brandish, Magicoal, Vasteel 2, etc.

Sources/Links
--

Nintendo 64 Boot/Save Type List: http://n64.icequake.net/mirror/www....ave_faq.html#s1

Game Boy line battery type info
http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15464
http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1568128

Game Boy Advance Release List Search -- To list SRAM games, choose the option you wish from the "Save Type" box and hit search. http://releases.pocketheaven.com/?section=advsearch

Nintendo DS Release List Search -- Works same as the GBA list. FRAM may not be properly listed here. http://releases.pocketheaven.com/?section=ndsearch

Sega Genesis/32X EEPROM Games List -- http://gxdev.wordpress.com/category/genesis-plus/
Direct link to the EEPROM guide: http://genplus-gx.googlecode.com/svn/gen_eeprom.pdf
Knuckles Chaotix Save Type Proof (Ramtron NVRAM chip): http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showpost.php?p=117099&postcount=23

Sega Genesis Meganet Modem -- The best article I've found is Sega-16's article on the unreleased US version, the TeleGenesis modem: http://www.sega-16.com/feature_page....enesis Modem

Sega CD Backup RAM Cart battery type info:
http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showpost.php?p=115118&postcount=24

Saturn backup cart information thread:
http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1497805

TG-16 Plug-in Backup Unit Information: http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/in...p?topic=1616.30

nvSRAM information, with handy Battery-Backed SRAM/NVSRAM/FRAM/MRAM chart: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NVSRAM

Neo-Geo CD Save Battery System: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187197

PC-FX Memory Card ("FX-BMP") info: http://pcenginefx.com/PC-FX/html/pc..._pc-fx_bmp.html
As well as this forum thread: http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=3284.0

Atari 7800 High Score Cartridge Information: http://www.atariage.com/software_pa...areLabelID=1015

3DO FZ-EM256 Memory Unit Box Scans: http://3do.classicgaming.gamespy.com/Accessories.html

Super A'Can: For more information on this system, see this thread: http://assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9289
Or Wikipedia (screenshots available at the link at the bottom): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_A'Can

FM Towns Marty saving-to-floppy confirmation: http://www.assemblergames.com/forum...read.php?t=6352

CD-i NVRAM replacement information and guide: http://www.icdia.co.uk/articles/nvram.html

LaserActive: Clear description of the system and its awful incompatibility issue, though note that it is wrong about the number of Mega LD games – there were 15 US-released Mega LD games, not three (though there were indeed just three LD-ROM2 games released in the US). http://www.allgame.com/cg/agg.dll?p=agg&sql=5:17669
Site with more info and many LaserActive box and manual scans: http://www.cyberroach.com/new_laser...ics/default.htm
Wikipedia has a nice chart with all of the games listed, most with region and platform: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laseractive

A History of Online Console Gaming in the United States, 1982 to the present: http://www.revrob.com/content/view/38/52

Famicom Communication Adapter (Modem) Information: http://translate.google.com/transla...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
thanks to: http://satellablog.blogspot.com/200...g-services.html
English article about it: http://www.n-sider.com/contentview.php?contentid=213

HyperScan storage amount info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperScan
HyperScan site+forum: http://www.geocities.com/hyperscansoftware/index.html

Casio Loopy info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casio_Loopy

V.Tech consoles info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V.Smile, http://www.vtechkids.com/_f/_pw/_man...20V.Motion.pdf (V.Motion manual), http://www.vtechkids.com/_f/_pw/_manual/V.Link.pdf (V.Link manual)

Famicom Data Recorder information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famicom_Data_Recorder
http://www.japan-games.com/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Consoles.HowToUseANintendoDataRecorder

3DO System Battery Type and proof that the memory unit has a battery in it
http://cdinteractive.co.uk/3do/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1069&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

APF Imagination Machine/MP-1000
http://www.nausicaa.net/~lgreenf/apfpage.htm

Tomy Tutor
http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/tomy/

Radofin, etc
http://www.dieterkoenig.at/ccc/it/s_it_cartlist.htm

PC-FX board shots:
http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=1305
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=7558.15

PC-FX BMP board shot:
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=7271.0
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=3284.0

Virtual Boy battery type confirmation:
http://www.planetvb.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4509&forum=1

Final Notes
--
Information for the main contents of the list come from many online sources -- GameFAQs guides (only in a couple of cases), Wikipedia system information details, box shots, PCB scans, list pages like the ones above, and others. I linked to some things here, but if there's anything else you want a source for, ask. If I continue to improve this list, a later version may put those links directly into the text, instead of them just being at the end.

Questions
--
-Do consoles like the Gamecube, Xbox, PS2, etc. have batteries in them to save clock and system info, or do they do that some other way? I assume they have batteries, but don't know what kind.
-Do any systems use what are essentially flash carts (that is, entirely rewritable flash memory), instead of flash memory chips on the cart? (very doubtful)
-Can anyone help fill in the blank parts, or add (reliable) info for a missing system? (this would be great!)
-Are there any errors in listing which consoles have games with password save options? Which consoles that I did not list as having it actually do?

ScythD

For the password part, the game would give you a code to enter that would tell it what level you are on, your number of lives, etc. Cheaper for the developer to do that instead of paying Nintendo extra for a cartridge with a save function. The on-cart portion is the type of memory used for some games and the battery.

Machado said:
what do you mean when you say this:

I define each of the types of saving in the opening part of the first post. Are the definitions unclear? Perhaps I should add something defining the categories more clearly as well as the saving types... I guess I assumed that "On-Cart", "Internal Save", and "Password" were self-explanatory. On-Cart is a save chip on a game cartridge or card, Internal Save is a save chip or drive inside a console (because CDs can't have internal save chips, they needed either to save to the system itself or to some sort of memory card; some consoles use one, some the other, and some both.), and a Password save feature is when instead of saving to memory, to continue your game you have to write down a password and then enter it into the "Password" section to continue.

As was said, this was often used to save money for games that needed saving systems, because no expensive save chip was required. Instead, they'd simply give you passwords to write down. It's a different kind of saving from any other kind on this list, and is frustrating and often more liming than the other types, but it does have one clear advantage...

No save chips of any kind that could die on you! Password save games will work perfectly for as long as the cartridge does. :)

This doesn't excuse those PSX/Saturn games that had password-only save, though... why in the world didn't games like WarHawk and Pandemonium (on PSX) support the memory card? At least N64 games that had password options, with only one exception (the super low budget Charlie Blast's Territory), all supported the memory card too, for people who had one.

(Examples of N64 games with both password and memory card save options -- Doom 64, Extreme-G 2, BattleTanx: Global Assault, and others)

CTLance said:
That's a lot of work. Holy moly. Very interesting, and appreciated.

Yeah, this is something that's interested me for three or four years now, and some of this data is stuff I found back then -- the N64, SNES, and GB stuff first (just the carts, not the various Japan-only addons and stuff), followed by the other stuff. Then I started making lists, as the older of the two links at the top shows (and some others on other forums). The older lists had some errors, though -- getting the Lynx and Jaguar information wrong (somehow, in one of those lists at one point I said the Lynx had no saving and at another point I said it had some kind... erm, yeah... and at one point Jaguar was just in "I have no idea" category...), saying that the Turbo CD, etc, had batteries instead of their unique capacitor-based save system, etc. It was partially to have a complete list that corrected those errors, now that i knew better, that I started making this list... and as it grew, I decided to make it complete and include information for every single console I could find anything on (it's fun looking around the internet for information on gaming-related stuff...). And this was the result. :)

I did a bunch of work over the past week or so gathering info for the various lesser-known systems on this list... finding that ASSEMbler Super A'Can thread again (I'd read it before, but not bookmarked it I think) and finding a reference to a game with an SRAM chip, etc.

... But even so, there are still gaps on this list. Just look at all the ones where I I have some version of 'unknown battery type' or 'unknown save type' on, like, for instance, the PC-FX's internal save, etc... it's a pretty good list as it is, but I'd love to find the information to fill in the gaps in the list sometime, for those lesser-known systems which there is simply less information out there for.

Alex Anderson said:
The first thing I checked was to see what you had listed for Atari Lynx. You have info for the homebrews, nice. :)

It's kind of odd that none of the 1989-1994 original Lynx games had any kind of battery/EEPROM saving, really... I would have assumed something would have had it, if there wasn't clear evidence from many people that none did. The Game Boy and Game Gear each had plenty of games with battery save, after all. Why didn't the Lynx? Because Atari only made simple, arcadish games for it and not the 'bigger' titles that would need batteries? It is true that the thing had a tiny game library, and nothing like an RPG or something that would really need saving... though I guess they could have done it awful 32-plus-character-password NES-RPG-with-password-save style...

Update... because of the added introductory sections, the main list now continues into the second post.

Update info
--
11/11: Added Famicom Data Recorder Famicom addon, the V.Smile, V.Flash, and V.Motion consoles for young children from V.Tech, regularized phrasing, added "Types of Saving" category to the top of the article for clarity on my terms, and added a table of contents.

The question(s) in the thread showed why the "Types of Saving" category was necessary; as I said before, I just hadn't thought of it.

The table of contents is another thing I hadn't thought of, but is of obvious use. Same goes for using the same term each time I refer to a save type or method... (hopefully they're always the same, I tried to check and make sure that they are...)

The added consoles are ones I just found out about recently online... it was learning about them that got me to start this edit of the guide, in fact. :)

There have been a bunch of updates to the list since that last version... here's the changelog.

11/19/08: Battery type of the Sega CD Backup RAM Cart added.

11/27/08: Knuckles Chaotix save type added to the list in the Genesis subcategory listing

1/19/09: Expanded Saturn memory card information, awaiting more info (see link)

1/21/09: Fixed a few spelling and grammar mistakes, regularized phrasing (the Famicom Communication Adapter is now referred to as a Modem/Internet type), in definitions section improved definition of term "Flash Memory" with regards to whether it includes battery-backed types, added FRAM to the 32X save-types list in the main list, because I forgot to when I added Knuckles Chaotix as a FRAM game in the list near the end, added CR2450 to battery types list in definitions.

1/25/09: Fixed incorrectly listed Sega Saturn internal backup size (it's 32KB, not 64KB)

2/9/09: Sega CD Backup RAM Carts are 128KB, not 64KB. Oops.

2/17/09: The Japanese version of Virtua Racing Deluxe has FRAM-based saving! Wow, that is amazing... I thought that Virtua Racing Deluxe was amazing except for its tragic lack of any high-score save feature, but here the Japanese version actually has it... why in the world couldn't we have had that too? Sad... :(

Finally got around to updating this version of the list. :)

4/3/09: Changed Dreamcast console listing to reflect that the internet settings are saved to a small internal flash memory, not to the same rechargeable battery that saves the clock -- when you leave the system off for too long and the clock dies, the internet settings are not affected.

4/4/09: Family Basic Keyboard added as a NES console add-on, which it really is, with the Famicom Data Recorder as its save mechanism. Still trying to avoid listing computers on this thing, but with how merged the two were in the '80s, maybe adding computer addons to consoles would be a good idea... but not stand-alone computers, just addons that make a console into a computer. That's for later though. For now, I just expanded the Famicom Data Recorder information in the NES listing, added it in the new Family Basic Keyboard section, and added a "Cassette Tape" save type for it in Magnetic Media, as there should have been already.

6/6/09: Changed Game Boy line battery type information, and added a few links for them, added CR1616 battery type, the type that most GB/GBC games actually use, not what was previously listed. Noted the one known exception, in addition to the previously noted EEPROM game.

6/28/09: Found information on 3DO internal system battery type, and proof that the 3DO memory unit uses an internal battery. See 3DO listing and links for more.

7/8/09: Added Console-Computer Hybrids section, APF Imagination Master, Tomy Tutor, Coleco Adam, Mattel ECS, Radofin 1292 and clones

8/24/09: Fixed one mention of the Tennokoe Bank battery type to reflect its correct battery type, a CR2320.

2/27/10: Added PC-FX save type information, because I found it on the web. It's SRAM.

9/24/10: Added PC-FX BMP internal battery -- I did not know the PC-FX's BMP memory card had another small battery inside it, in addition to the two user-replaceable AAAs, but it does. Hmm, so now there are two unknown batteries in the PC-FX, one in the system and another on the memory card...

7/9/12: Added Virtual Boy info. It's basically the same as the Game Boy/GB Color.

Varth

My question is: how the fuck did save files get so big over time? I mean, take Mafia II: what in hell does it have to save? Checkpoint, weapons, playboy and wanted posters left... +/-50 MB.
50MB?!?

Probably junk data. For example, Golden Sun actually has five slots in its save data despite there being only three save files. 2/3rds of the data in each slot is completely meaningless. Well, maybe except to devs.

Top Bottom