• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (Wii) Discussion Thread of "I'm back, bitches!"

3361401309_8fcd61b931_o.png

Name: Klonoa: Door to Phantomile.

Platfrom: Wii. Originally on the PS1.

Players: 1-4. The PS1 version only supported 1 Player.

Release Date (JP): December 4th.

Release Date (NA): Spring 2009

Release Date (PAL): TBC

Price (JP): 4800 Yen.

Price (NA): $39.99

Price (PAL): Also unknown. I don't live in the PAL territories, so I don't know what the price could be.

Website (JP): http://kloweb.namco-ch.net/

About This Game (From IGN):

Why is that people cannot remember their dreams? It is because the energy from dreams is collected in the Moon Kingdom where it is given substance. This rule was broken when Klonoa, a cat-like creature with wings on his ears, dreams that an airship crashes violently into a hill and a mysterious shadow hangs over the wreckage. When the dream comes true, Klonoa and his friend Huepow go to investigate. You take control of Klonoa as he travels through a dozen levels of action. As luck would have it, Klonoa will encounter a number of enemies who want to stop him. Fortunately, Klonoa can grab enemies and use them as weapons to destroy other bad guys, or throw them to the ground and propel himself upward. Besides grabbing enemies, Klonoa can also pump up larger enemies and make them explode.

Remade for the Wii with enhanced graphics and other improvements, now is your chance to help discover the reason for the dream in Klonoa: Door to Phantomile.

Wii Controls: This game has the player holding the Wiimote NES style. Basically the 1 Button is for actions, and the 2 Button is for jumping. Simplicity, and that's damn fine by me! :D

Screenshots from Watch Impress:

wiiss50.jpg

wiiss51.jpg

wiiss52.jpg

Screenshots from Famitsu (thanks Stormbringer!):

kuronoa01.jpg

kuronoa02.jpg

kuronoa04.jpg

kuronoa05.jpg

Comparison:

kuronoa06.jpg

kuronoa07.jpg

And there we go! :D

I hope making this two months in advance is fine. :)

It's about time Klonoa finally made his way to the Wii. His last game was Klonoa Heroes (without the super-duper-power of teamwork *cough*) was released on December 13th, 2002 for the GBA, and that was a Japanese exclusive!

For some reason, Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament for the GBA, which was released in Japan before Heroes, was brought over much later in 2005! What's up with that?

The Wii is Klonoa's Nintendo home console debut! I've read that Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil was actually planned for the GameCube but got canceled, is this true?

Well, discuss about the game and Klonoa's triumphant return! :D

Azar

I'm writing a column this weekend on how Klonoa 2 should be rereleased for the Wii. I picked it TWO DAYS before this announcement. At first I was like WTF Namco, but the more I thought about it, the more I figured it'd just get people hyped for the concept.

Can't wait to play this one, it looks great. :D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Can't wait! Hopefully they add some new levels/ideas to the original, though. I love the game, but I could go for some NEW content. I'm thrilled that Namco is bringing it back!

I only just now noticed that the style is pretty different from Klonoa 2, though. Look at the models. Very similar, yet different.

klonoa2_screen011.jpg

wiiss52.jpg

Hero of legend said:
Price (NA): Judging by past price conversions, this may be $39.99 if it comes over. But I'm speculating here.

Same price PS1 version runs for on ebay last time I checked. I knew holding out would pay off in some way WAH-HOO!

I'm so stoked: Klonoa was my absolute favourite platformer for the PSX. This definitely deserves a wider audience, and maybe its reputation as a cult classic will encourage people to check it out.

i haven't turned on my wii since NiGHTS and now i'll have an even better reason for turning it on again when this hits the states. can't wait!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
huh, my feeling was that it looks too much like klonoa 2 -- klonoa's design in particular doesn't really have the sharp-toothed cat-eyed scrawny look that it had in the first game. i'm actually one of the few people who prefers klonoa 2 to the original, but i dislike the sonicization of his character design. nice water effects, though. looks like they're putting in some effort

One of my all-time favorites, would prefer a Klonoa 3, but i'm glad they picked the better Klonoa to port (Klonoa 1 >>>>> Klonoa 2, in art-style, story and gameplay). I'd buy for 29.99 or so.

Hell Yes! I was so close to re-buying this on the PS1 the other day. Now I can just import!

Now back to dreaming about a Tail Concerto remake.
Which will never happen. :(

Rufus

I was trying to find a cheap copy for PSone for a while now. Guess I will just wait until this comes out (and I have a Wii). :lol

Porridge

Man, this game looks just as magical as the first PlayStation version.

Nintendo really did make some good announcements last night.

MMaRsu

Banned
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat now I have to get a Wii again :O :O :O :O

Fucking LOVE klonoa

GrayFoxPL

Wow Namco really doesn't give a fuck about PS3 this gen. Talk about whore loyality, goes by the smell of money.

Don't get me wrong. Wii owners are super lucky and should be orgasmic happy as it's an awesome platformer. Good for them.

Wish there was a psn version too.

Rufus

nincompoop said:
Would it kill them to give us a new one instead? Oh well, good for the people who didn't play it on PS1 I guess.
Maybe after the sequel has been ported as well. :D

dark10x

jarosh said:
cool!

i only played the gba klonoa games. will be my first time playing this.
You're in for a treat then! The GBA games were decent romps, but I thought they were pretty awful in comparison to the incredible console games.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
GrayFoxPL said:
Wow Namco really doesn't give a fuck about PS3 this gen. Talk about whore loyality, goes by the smell of money.

Don't get me wrong. Wii owners are super lucky and should be orgasmic happy as it's an awesome platformer. Good for them.

Namco does seem to be giving Wii a lot of love

dark10x

I don't think Klonoa is a good fit for 360 or PS3 this gen. I mean, I would have much preferred them there myself, but considering that this is just a remake (and one that looks very similar to Klonoa 2 in terms of visual complexity) I doubt Namco is putting a huge budget behind it. The Wii makes a lot of sense in this case. Furthermore, Klonoa 2 was already a beautiful game and still holds up nicely. This should still be an attractive game on the Wii.

I don't think Namco has completely ignored the PS3, though. I mean, XBOX360 is actually getting the majority of their attention, but most of the best 360 games are also on PS3 (outside of Vesperia). Katamari was crap and Ace Combat 6 was more of the same, really (though still a good game). It is odd to see the PS3 lacking any Namco exclusives, but when you look at the installed base, it's easy to see why.

I never played any of the Klonoa games, but I always thought that the character was cool. Why makes the games so good?
The core mechanics are great fun, the level designs are all very creative, the puzzles are interesting and tied very well to the gameplay, the music and presentation are incredible, and the stories were memorable (especially the original game). So, yeah, it was basically a joy to play and its presentation left an impression on most people.

Saw this on the Wii 2009 montage.

The only thing that went through my mind:

"FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!"

Kard8p3 said:
I've never played a klonoa game before but I love platformers. Is this worth getting excited about?
Klonoa 2 is the greatest platforming game ever created.

So, uh -- yeah.

Chemo

dark10x said:
I don't think Namco has completely ignored the PS3, though. I mean, XBOX360 is actually getting the majority of their attention, but most of the best 360 games are also on PS3 (outside of Vesperia). Katamari was crap and Ace Combat 6 was more of the same, really (though still a good game). It is odd to see the PS3 lacking any Namco exclusives, but when you look at the installed base, it's easy to see why.
Agreed on all points -- I do think that Tekken 6 is a PS3 exclusive, though, and that's major. If I remember correctly, Tekken 6 runs on PS3 hardware or some variation of it...

My PSX disc is all messed up so I was looking forward to the PSN re-release that was supposed to happen a few months back; but I'm very happy this remake came to light.

Wa-mother-effing-hoo! I was honestly a little perturbed by the announcement yesterday. Why remake Klonoa so soon? Then I remembered that it had actually been ten years since Door to Phantomile's release. How the time flies, eh?

The real hope is that Klonoa Wii takes off, 2 gets a port, and Klonoa Team can finally make a proper Klonoa 3. If that happens though, it's absolutely essential that they bring back Shuichi Sakurazaki.

Little known fact: Sakurazaki wrote the scripts and stories for Door to Phantomile and Klonoa 2 but was not involved in the rest of the series. Y'all might be a little more familiar with Sakurazaki's more famous directorial work, Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 on NES. Blew my mind when I found out he wrote Klonoa.

I wonder why they decided to make him taller for this remake. He was adorable in the original. Don't mind but the small innocent Klonoa is what made the ending
so sad and heartbreaking. :(
Regardless I can't wait and hope this is a sign of more Klonoa to come.

I'm having a hell of a time trying to play the first game (rendered sprites on full polygonal stages makes me =( ) so this looks like a must-buy.

Cowie

i rented this on psx, and played pretty much nonstop during my 3 day love affair with it

never got around to buying it, so this rerelease is kind of like it showed up on my doorstep with a kid, but I'm totally ready now and willing to accept it into my life.

ymmv

Banned
Finally a Wii game worth buying. I already have the PS1 original but I'm still going to buy this. Hopefully Namco gets the hint and goes to work on Klonoa 3
for the PS3

Is it significantly better than Lunatea's Veil? I thought it was very bland, and the 2D/3D mismash was not to my liking.
I really liked the 2nd GBA one, though.

Allan Holdsworth said:
Is it significantly better than Lunatea's Veil? I thought it was very bland, and the 2D/3D mismash was not to my liking.
I really liked the 2nd GBA one, though.

I doubt you'll like this if you didn't like Lunatea's Veil.

JDSN

Banned
I never got to play the Playstation games, but if they are better than the GBA one like people say they are, then ill be buying this.

mr_nexus

Banned
The news of this remake makes me want to play Klonoa 2 (don't own Klonoa 1) as soon as I get home from home. :D

I hope it gets released in NA!

Top Bottom