• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oh look, PS3 footage (off camera) of Far Cry 2...

Nizz

Finally, a decent look at some PS3 footage of Far Cry 2: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/40852.html Looks like it's running well. I've been meaning to pre-order this but the lack of PS3 footage had me worried. I already knew the PC and 360 versions looked tight, but I always wondered about the PS3 version. I think it's safe to say I can pull the trigger on this game...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Thisis exactly what I need to see! Thanks. This is becoming a difficult decision between this, Dead Space and Socom.

Guled

LiquidMetal14 said:
Thisis exactly what I need to see! Thanks. This is becoming a difficult decision between this, Dead Space and Socom.
let me make you life easier, Dead Space

Trevelyan

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
Oh God, tell me about it. I think for my it's mostly between SOCOM and Dead Space. But I do love me some Far Cry.

lynux3

Looks to be running pretty damn good. Glad to see this game running very well on PS3 from Ubisoft. :D

JB1981 said:
Wow! Framerate looks excellent.
Looks better than most 1st party titles .......

Um, no. Killzone 2 still looks better.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
lynux3 said:

:lol
I was about to post my impressions but then I realized how much spoiled I am by Killzone 2. Come February, videos like this will generate waterfalls of "WTF is this shit?".

h3ro

TTP said:
I was about to post my impressions but then I realized how much spoiled I am by Killzone 2. Come February, videos like this will generate waterfalls of "WTF is this shit?".

Thanks for reminding me why I hate you so much...

<3

Loudninja

TTP said:

Damn you!

Raistlin

JB1981 said:
Wow! Framerate looks excellent.
Looks better than most 1st party titles .......

Yeah, I'm surprised/impressed how smooth it runs.

When I think Ubi Soft, I think shitty Playstation port. I guess Ubi Montreal is one of their A-teams?

I figured once Crytek was confirmed to be out, this thing would end up a steaming pile. Glad things worked out.

FirewalkR

TTP said:

That good huh? :D

Tr4nce

Can't get enough FarCry 2 media/info's. Where the hell is the GAF hype for this? Where's the official thread? I want this game so freaking bad.

StuBurns

Banned
K2 might look better, but I think review wise, FC2 will crush it.
And it's open world, it's like comparing GTA4s visuals to the London track on GT5P.

okrim

Banned
fps fanatic said:
Finally, a decent look at some PS3 footage of Far Cry 2: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/40852.html Looks like it's running well. I've been meaning to pre-order this but the lack of PS3 footage had me worried. I already knew the PC and 360 versions looked tight, but I always wondered about the PS3 version. I think it's safe to say I can pull the trigger on this game...
? How do you mean? I don't see any great differences with 360, really, although of poor ps3 video footage.

StuBurns

Banned
okrim said:
? How do you mean? I don't see any great differences with 360, really...
Yeah, but how did you know that before you saw the footage of the PS3 version?

To be fair, this isn't the first PS3 footage of the game, but if the OP thought it was, I could see it being a relief.

okrim

Banned
stuburns said:
Yeah, but how did you know that before you saw the footage of the PS3 version?

To be fair, this isn't the first PS3 footage of the game, but if the OP thought it was, I could see it being a relief.
To do this porting far cry 2 ubisoft has employed 23 programmers for ps3 version, 3 for 360 version; if there are terrible differences in favour of 360 I'm really worried for ubisoft programmers...

StuBurns

Banned
okrim said:
To do this porting far cry 2 ubisoft has employed 23 programmers for ps3 version, 3 for 360 version; if there are terrible differences in favour of 360 I'm really worried for ubisoft programmers...
Yeah but I can see why someone would still worry, Ubisoft's PS3 output so far has been embarrassing.

Tycho_b

okrim said:

It would be good if they've done their first homework right; design their engine subsystems around SPUs. Not barely put the engine on a platform and then tailor, tailor, tailor. The number of programmers needed for PS3 versions would decrease significantly, it would still be more than for X360 but not 7-fold.

StuBurns

Banned
okrim said:
Don't exaggerate, Ubisoft lately is improve.
I'm not even borderline exaggerating, of every game they've released on PS3, BIA:HH is the only one that doesn't make Ubisoft look incompetent with the hardware. That's only because they didn't make it, every game they developed has been shameful, and even HH is shit, just equally shit across both platforms.

Darkangus

I have seen the PS3 version live and can say that it looks just fine. I think the console versions will be on par so all will get a good deal out of this game.

...hhaaa... and it looks fantastic by the way... :D

Dizzan

MINI Member
I thought the framerate was great but the graphics were average. PC version blows it away and I even think 360 version looks better (mainly the lighting). Although I would have to compare the direct feed vids to be sure.

I hope it's on par with the 360 version. We know the triple is more than capable.

okrim

Banned
Dizzan said:
I thought the framerate was great but the graphics were average. PC version blows it away and I even think 360 version looks better (mainly the lighting). Although I would have to compare the direct feed vids to be sure.

I hope it's on par with the 360 version. We know the triple is more than capable.
The only thing who look better 360 is the anti aliasing, probably the final build will be, but no more (maybe more slight texture definition).

lynux3 said:
Looks to be running pretty damn good. Glad to see this game running very well on PS3 from Ubisoft. :D

"most", not "all"

naming one game that you think looks better doesn't require an "Um, no"

DrXym

okrim said:

Porting code to a disparate system can be depressing drudgery and the results really depend on the quality of the team involved. Ubisoft have produced AWFUL ports and some which are passable.

The issue of course is they shouldn't have put themselves in the situation of needing to port code in the first place. Proper abstraction and parallel platform development would make the resulting product far better quality.

DrXym

fps fanatic said:

What worries me is I didn't see any physics at all in that clip. Grenades were thrown and blew up but I saw nothing showing it having any effect on the scenery.

stuburns said:
K2 might look better, but I think review wise, FC2 will crush it.
And it's open world, it's like comparing GTA4s visuals to the London track on GT5P.

gta 4's liberty city looks better than gt5 prologue's london track.

okrim

Banned
DrXym said:
Porting code to a disparate system can be depressing drudgery and the results really depend on the quality of the team involved. Ubisoft have produced AWFUL ports and some which are passable.

The issue of course is they shouldn't have put themselves in the situation of needing to port code in the first place. Proper abstraction and parallel platform development would make the resulting product far better quality.
Assassin's creed isn't so terrible far from it; the real problem is the absurd tearing, everywhere, neither fps how said the most of people. The tearing appear everytime, also when happen nothing; but the texture almost the same to 360 version how the other parts.

No45

I can't believe this has turned into a comparison thread on the strength of that footage. It's an awful video - the ONLY thing you can say from it is that the framerate seems stable.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
fps fanatic said:
Looks like it's running well. I've been meaning to pre-order this but the lack of PS3 footage had me worried. .

Yeah,im on the same boat, they always showed PC and 360 footage, so i was a little worried.

DrXym

okrim said:
Assassin's creed isn't so terrible far from it; the real problem is the absurd tearing, everywhere, neither fps how said the most of people. The tearing appear everytime, also when happen nothing; but the texture almost the same to 360 version how the other parts.

That's what I'm saying AC wasn't *ported*. The two platforms were developed in parallel with (I assume) a lot of common code and a lot of abstraction to hide the platform specifics. Yes the PS3 port had some issues but generally the platforms were at parity. With a little more emphasis on the PS3 such as making it lead platform or mixing up the developers to spread the love around would have eliminated even those issues. Look at successful multi-platform games like Burnout Paradise or COD4 to see how its possible. Even EA Sports has more or less managed it now their middleware is up to snuff on the PS3.

Now consider what porting is like. You're handed 200,000 lines of DirectX spaghetti crap which is architected for the PC and 360. Making it work on the PS3 is going to be a horrible task. If you have the luxury of time, money and the team skills you might be able to gut the code and write an engine that plays to the strengths of the PS3. You might be able to rewrite all those threads as SPU tasks and get decent performance. If you haven't the time and money, you farm the port off to some poor bastards in Shanghai or whereever and instruct them to do a line for line translation and then you start jettisoning features or compromising the graphics to make it run acceptably.

Invariably the result is something inferior to the original version. Ports suck.

Top Bottom