• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Suikoden DS info. Hint: Bail out. HIMURO DO NOT ENTER

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
from the recent Nintendo Power...

* Its design is comparable to previous Suikoden titles.
* Battle System controlled by d-pad or stylus.
* Co-op attacks still exist.
* Short, medium, and long-ranged attacks.
* Game progression mission based.
* Potch gained from completed missions, not dropped from enemies.
* Weapons bought instead of upgraded.
* No True Runes
* No one-on-one duels
* No strategic battles
* No re-occurring characters confirmed yet.
* Set in parallel world. ???

Konami :(

So basically the game is not set within the Suikoden world the previous games took place in, and there aren't even army battles. Wtf is the point then? They basically took out everything that makes Suikoden... well a Suikoden game. GG Konami.

I don't if this is old or what, but even so I think it deserves its own thread.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ho, ho, ho.

[casts level 5 cheer on Himuro]

Ok mission based is not bad, nor is the money coming from said missions, but WHAT THE HELL at those other. No True Runes?! No Tir?! No nothing from Suikoden?!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I'd wait on some of those points. A few are speculative information from someone very bitter about the game. :lol

But yeah, if you were expecting traditional Suikoden from when it was announced and especially after we saw those videos I think you'll be disappointed. This is the next Masayuki Saruta Suikoden, at least they aren't numbering it.

haven't kept up with information(didn't know a DS version existed) but I hope it isn't S6 and just some offspin title because I don't want this.

They seems to be rumors, rather then facts... that "no re-occurring character confirmed yet" seems to prove it.
Anyway, no true runes and no 1 VS 1 duels is definitely its weakest point :(

Teknoman

I wouldnt say bail out just yet. Being a spinoff and all, thats just like saying bail out at Final Fantasy Tactics...or Dragon Quest Monsters.

-Kh-

Banned
I'm playing Suikoden V right now and it is my first Suikoden game, so I'm not really into the Suikoden world, but if the impressions of the game are anything good when it comes out, I'll get it.

If the game ends up being good, there is not reason not to get it, at least for non-Suikoden purists.

tokkun

No true runes and set in a parallel world? The only thing that gets me to keep playing Suikoden these days is my attachment to the world. It sure isn't the story or gameplay.

This is not a good turn. Pretty much everything that made Suikoden, Suikoden has been taken out. I'll probably have to pass on this one. Don't play many handheld games as it is. don't have much time for RPGs anymore, I could've worked a Suikoden in there, but this I don't know...

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
This is like VP DS all over again. Will these games be any good? Stay tuned!

Basch

This game is still a must buy. Not bailing out. I stay for the story and characters. The mission based gameplay is something new, I guess. But that doesn't make it bad. Maybe it will turn out to be something special. Wait for release, and then post judgment.

I am glad I didn't get excited about this, because if I had this would have killed all of it.

Suikoden V was great. I don't care if you make it for PS2 Konami, make a new one and make it like I/II/V.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I found the scans, this game is about a universe of parallel worlds and people are crossing through them by gateways. Does nobody remember the Gate Rune???? Suikoden??? Hello?

Overreaction total, did nobody here play Suikoden Tactics either? :lol

Error said:
Seriously, that's the only real question here.

Pellham

Banned
Error said:

So basically the game is not set within the Suikoden world the previous games took place in, and there aren't even army battles. Wtf is the point then? They basically took out everything that makes Suikoden... well a Suikoden game. GG Konami.

:lol the game sounds like shit.

though to be honest, i don't give a shit about losing the lame 1-on-1 duels or crappy sim battles. they were among the least important aspects of suikoden.

i may still get it because i still think the premise is pretty cool even if the actual story ends up sucking.

Xabora

Error said:

Sounds like their testing the waters to see how this does before they dedicate themselves to going full on Suikoden?

Teknoman

jj984jj said:
I found the scans, this game is about a universe of parallel worlds and people are crossing through them by gateways. Does nobody remember the Gate Rune???? Suikoden??? Hello?

Overreaction total, did nobody here play Suikoden Tactics either? :lol

Backlogged :lol Will get around to it eventually.

I fail to see where this is going to be a bad game.

As long as it's good, I will buy it.

Wilsongt said:
*Grabs his bags and jumps off the hype train at the next stop*
*Yanks him mid-air*

Where the Hell do you think you're going?

Nose Master

So... it's basically a random RPG with the Suikoden name slapped on? Why even get our hopes up and call it suikoden then?

Durante

Xabora said:
Sounds like their testing the waters to see how this does before they dedicate themselves to going full on Suikoden?
So they're testing the waters for Suikoden by making a game that is trying its hardest not to be Suikoden. It makes perfect sense!

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Nintendo Power said:
* Battle System controlled by d-pad or stylus.
* Co-op attacks still exist.
* Short, medium, and long-ranged attacks.
* Game progression mission based.
* Potch gained from completed missions, not dropped from enemies.
* Weapons bought instead of upgraded.
* No True Runes
* No one-on-one duels
* No strategic battles
* No re-occurring characters confirmed yet.
* Set in parallel world. ???

Nintendo Power said:

Oh is it now?

Aw man, it's not even in the same world?

Fuck this.

U K Narayan said:
I fail to see where this is going to be a bad game.

As long as it's good, I will buy it.

Wilsongt said:
*Grabs his bags and jumps off the hype train at the next stop*

*Yanks him mid-air*

Where the Hell do you think you're going?

INITIATE BAIL-OUT BOTTLE.

SPREAD YOUR WINGS AND FLY, GOD BE WITH YOU!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Spin off, folks. I propose waiting until the game hits before leveraging hasty judgments.

This game doesn't look remotely like a Suikoden game. Is it any surprise that the gameplay is nothing like one either?
Just don't buy it; show companies that you aren't a sucker for something just because they slap a familiar label on it.

Teknoman

ace harding: private eye said:
This game doesn't look remotely like a Suikoden game. Is it any surprise that the gameplay is nothing like one either?
Just don't buy it; show companies that you aren't a sucker for something just because they slap a familiar label on it.

Umm then we wouldnt have Final Fantasy Tactics, Metroid Prime, World of Warcraft or Mario Kart.

Sure most of these take place in the same universe, but all have gameplay that is nothing close to the series they originated from.

Wired

Teknoman said:
Umm then we wouldnt have Final Fantasy Tactics, Metroid Prime, World of Warcraft or Mario Kart.

Yeah, exactly. How much better would the world have been without shit- wha... wait a moment I love those games. You sneaky bastard.

Except WoW, which I've never tried.

Teknoman

Wired said:
Yeah, exactly. How much better would the world have been without shit- wha... wait a moment I love those games. You sneaky bastard.

Except WoW, which I've never tried.

Then my work here is done.

Druz

Teknoman said:

Final Fantasy is different every time. This is the OPPOSITE of what Suikoden stood for, which often was re-occurring shit. We're starved for these games too, they haven't made a great one since 2.

People want the next great Suikoden not the next spin off.

CTLance

So it's a Suikoden Gaiden? I'm not affected by this either way since my knowledge of Suikoden can be summed up as "ah-yup, heard the name somewhere". I'll wait and see, maybe it's a decent game. Maybe not. Only time will tell.

Red Scarlet

Error said:

You just trolled Himuro better than MegaTen ever could.

Bebpo

Banned
Error said:

DS rpgs...:lol

I consider myself an rpg fan who plays most rpgs but I don't care about 90% of the rpgs on DS. Occasionally there will be one really worth playing like FF4r or DQIX or the eventually DQVIr, but otherwise I expect the worst from every ds rpg and if it's actually great I'll give it a shot later after great reviews. Everyone seems to put their mediocre C-teams on the DS rpgs and reserve their good staff for console rpgs.

Tabris

Told you it was like a side game before I was banned. May seem like an actual Suikoden but I think it sounds closer to Suikoden Tactics. Well I guess that's an overstatement but still, mission based gameplay? come on!

Top Bottom