• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MTV True Life: I'm a Fanboy (GAF Represent!)

Thought you guys might be interested as someone in MTV posted this on the ifanboy.com forums (which oddly enough are VERY civil). I actually like True Life quite a bit so don't just dismiss it because it's MTV. And if anyones curious while looking for jobs on Craigslist the other day I noticed True Life was hiring. So those in California (Bay Area) may have a better chance of being chosen.
Are you obsessed with comic books, anime, fantasy, or manga? Do you like to dress up as your favorite character and attend conventions with other fans? Have you ever waited in line overnight for a book, movie, or videogame release? Do you have tattoos depicting your favorite brand or characters? Have you ever missed work, school, or other important events to engage in role-playing or cosplay? Are you misunderstood by your family or significant other because of it? Have you ever been told to "grow up" by someone important to you? If you're an obsessed fanboy (or girl), MTV wants to hear from you.

If you appear to be between the ages of 16 and 28 and identify with any of the above, MTV wants to hear your story. Email us at MTV.TL.fanboy@gmail.com. Please be sure to include your name, location, phone number, and a recent photo.

Christopher

I mean it's all fun and games to just come on the internet, and tease here and there. However, to take it off of here is truly sad.

Are you obsessed with comic books, anime, fantasy, or manga?
Hmm..

Do you like to dress up as your favorite character and attend conventions with other fans?
No, and yes. Once.

Have you ever waited in line overnight for a book, movie, or videogame release?
No.

Do you have tattoos depicting your favorite brand or characters?
Nope.

Have you ever missed work, school, or other important events to engage in role-playing or cosplay?
LOL

Are you misunderstood by your family or significant other because of it?
Not really.

Have you ever been told to "grow up" by someone important to you?
In a way, yes.

If you're an obsessed fanboy (or girl), MTV wants to hear from you.
Oh, ok then. Goodbye.

Christopher said:
I mean it's all fun and games to just come on the internet, and tease here and there. However, to take it off of here is truly sad.
Well on the other hand it nets you cash and shows the world the other side. Not always a bad thing.

Christopher said:

its a lot more hilarious to have video to make fun of them from though.

border

Yeah, I'm sure that MTV uses Craigslist to find their stories.

I'm similarly sure that MTV uses Gmail.com as their corporate e-mail.

Have fun when your humiliating pictures show up on SomethingAwful or 4chan or whatever.

fernoca

Nah..would be boring..
What? To see someone with shelves of unopened/plastic wrapped games? Or how many copies of Ico, Shadow of the Colossus one has? Or a room full of japanese memorabilia, yet the only word he knows is "konichiwa"?? ..meh..6.7 Fair.

Still like True life. :p

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Christopher said:

It can get pretty sad on the internet, too.

border said:

Have fun when your humiliating pictures show up on SomethingAwful or 4chan or whatever.
Huh? The Craiglist thing was a job that I personally found. And the True Life team seems to be pretty removed from MTV so I wouldn't be surprised at gmail being their email.

Are you obsessed with comic books, anime, fantasy, or manga?
I read manga, but that's about it.

Do you like to dress up as your favorite character and attend conventions with other fans?
I have no sense in fashion so I'm always dressed like a bum. does that count?

Have you ever waited in line overnight for a book, movie, or videogame release?
No.

Do you have tattoos depicting your favorite brand or characters?
NO!!!

Have you ever missed work, school, or other important events to engage in role-playing or cosplay?
WTF?

Are you misunderstood by your family or significant other because of it?
Occasionally.

Have you ever been told to "grow up" by someone important to you?
Not that I remember.

If you're an obsessed fanboy (or girl), MTV wants to hear from you.
I'm morbidly obsessed if you compare me to Nichol Richie, a skeleton, and a string bean.

arne

cjelly said:
If you appear to be between the ages of 16 and 28

Wat?

target demographic.

you think MTV's 16-28 viewers want to see a 32 year old with zelda tattoos?
plus 32 year olds look busted and old. like me.

p01ar

GameTrailers
border said:

I don't work on True Life, but I do work at MTV.

We use craiglist for casting all the time.

And do you think we want to give our corporate emails out so everyone has them? Nope, it's way easier to have a gmail account.

shawnlreed

fernoca said:
Nah..would be boring..
What? To see someone with shelves of unopened/plastic wrapped games? Or how many copies of Ico, Shadow of the Colossus one has? Or a room full of japanese memorabilia, yet the only word he knows is "konichiwa"?? ..meh..6.7 Fair.

Hitting a little close to home on that one.....

3006350417_4c67683958.jpg

3007186682_a92688328d.jpg

border

p01ar said:
And do you think we want to give our corporate emails out so everyone has them? Nope, it's way easier to have a gmail account.
My assumption is that you'd just have the IT department set up a custom address (eg fanboys@mtv.com), so people know they are actually sending their personal information to a trusted source.

I certainly wouldn't send my name and address to someone at GMail claiming they were a major television network.

comrade

arne said:
target demographic.

I think it's the "appear" to be. Sounds like you can be 32 as long as you appear to be 28.

p01ar

GameTrailers
border said:
My assumption is that you'd just have the IT department set up a custom address (eg fanboys@mtv.com), so people know they are actually sending their personal information to a trusted source.

I certainly wouldn't send my name and address to someone at Gmail claiming they were a major television network.

Check craigslist, most major casting for studios and commercials is done using Gmail, unless it's through a casting agency.

Do you know how long it takes to get a new corporate email vs making a Gmail account?:lol

Plus multiple people can easily check one Gmail account.

p01ar

GameTrailers
comrade said:
I think it's the "appear" to be. Sounds like you can be 32 as long as you appear to be 28.

Yeah, alot of people are 16 but look 13. Or are 26 and look 36. It's not about being the same age as the demographic, it's about looking it.

pakkit

Banned
justchris said:
Plus the line, "Wanna come back to my place and see my Colossus?" has to work at least 90 to 95% of the time.
"But be warned, the last girl that followed me died."

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
That True Life gamer episode was awesome. Especially seeing those SSBM underground tournaments. We need more stuff like that

Nizz

arne said:
target demographic.

Hey, I'm a little older than you! It can't be that bad! Well, I still get proofed for cigarettes and sometimes even for playing lottery tickets so I guess it's all good...

comrade said:

That could work. ;)

Top Bottom