• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does the Xbox 360 not have an internal clock?

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
The Xbox 360 is a nightmare to play offline.

All your savegames are dated November 22nd 2005 (the release date of the 360), so basically it will load up the save that was made latest into the day.

I keep losing data in Far Cry 2 and I nearly lost some in Tomb Raider Underworld. I can't wait to get my 360 back online, but seriously, why is there no clock?

This is some grade A bullshit!

Banned
I'm pretty sure the 360 uses a capacitor to hold a charge for the internal clock (at least the original Xbox did) so if you have it unplugged for too long it's going to reset.

p3tran

Banned
"too long" as in ten seconds!!

I remember back in the first days of oblivion, when I moved the console to another room and then I thought my saves where corrupted/lost.
iirc someone here in gaf told me to check the dates of the saves and saved my xbox from a flight from the 7th floor :D

painey

when i was in america i had a 1/3lb mcbacon and cheese burger, oh my lord it was so much better than any mcdonalds burger ive had in england. also, i hate how it doesnt store the time, i have a console thats not in my room and therefore internet-less and it resets every time I unplug to switch over the PS3

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
painey said:
when i was in america i had a 1/3lb mcbacon and cheese burger, oh my lord it was so much better than any mcdonalds burger ive had in england. also, i hate how it doesnt store the time, i have a console thats not in my room and therefore internet-less and it resets every time I unplug to switch over the PS3

Yeah but, you can buy beer at McDonalds in the UK, can't you? IMO, that's advantage UK McDonalds.

Having the clock reset when unplugged and off line is a pain in the arse, mostly because taking my console to uni would mean I was off line half the year.

tirant

McBacon said:
The Xbox 360 is a nightmare to play offline.

All your savegames are dated November 22nd 2005 (the release date of the 360), so basically it will load up the save that was made latest into the day.

I keep losing data in Far Cry 2 and I nearly lost some in Tomb Raider Underworld. I can't wait to get my 360 back online, but seriously, why is there no clock?

This is some grade A bullshit!

Why do you ask if you already knew it?

kaleii

tirant said:

I think he was hoping for an answer like "Microsoft have promised to fix this in the next update, so just hang in there" or something like that.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Is it as bad as the Dreamcast?

drakesfortune said:
Yeah but, you can buy beer at McDonalds in the UK, can't you? IMO, that's advantage UK McDonalds.

You can't.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
tirant said:

Maybe someone had a fix or something. So its because I turn the Xbox off at the mains before bed, it resets? Thats a pain, I can't really circumvent that...

No, thats other places in Europe I'm afraid.

when i was in america i had a 1/3lb mcbacon and cheese burger, oh my lord it was so much better than any mcdonalds burger ive had in england.

I've never had one - my nickname predates the McDonalds meal (I think...), but I guess I owe it to myself to try it one day.

I have the same problem with my save games. I don't use my Xbox online and all the saved games are always dated Nov 22, 2005. Annoying.

industrian said:
Is it as bad as the Dreamcast?
The DC wasn't so bad. As long as the system was turned on periodically the internal battery would actually recharge. Though when it died you had to fucking desolder the battery it came with if you wanted to replace it.

Now the VMUs? Ho boy, that sucked.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
_dementia said:
Now the VMUs? Ho boy, that sucked.

My VMUs batteries have run out - bare in mind that they still work as Memory Cards, but I can't play them like a pint-sized gameboy when they're not plugged in.

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP Every fucking time I turn my Dreamcast on.

8bit

Knows the Score
McBacon said:
My VMUs batteries have run out - bare in mind that they still work as Memory Cards, but I can't play them like a pint-sized gameboy when they're not plugged in.

Cut the speaker wire.

painey

2557605857_6413ac131b_b.jpg

I found my pic of it! Tasty!

Ledsen

McBacon said:
Maybe someone had a fix or something. So its because I turn the Xbox off at the mains before bed, it resets? Thats a pain, I can't really circumvent that...

No it's not, I turn off the electricity to my Xbox every night and I've never had this problem.

McBacon said:

It's not a true Dreamcast without those beeps, if I turn a DC on and don't hear that pitch I always think something is broken :lol

AVclub

Given how much electricity that 360 brick uses, even when the console is not on, I have mine plugged into a power strip which gets turned off when not in use. Whenever I decide to play with the 360, I always have to go and set the clock again. Setting the clock of a game console is not conducive to 'jumping in' nor is it very "next gen" of them.

LiK

i also think it's weird that achievements don't have a date stamped on it unless you're logged into Live.

industrian

McBacon said:

Followed by what sounds like two dot matrix printers having rough sex.

I AM JOHN! said:
Someone needs to post that thread in which that GAFfer stated that he eats bacon with every meal.

That sounds awesome.

I did an all-chicken diet last year for a few months, but I've yet to do an all-bacon one.

FirewalkR

industrian said:
Followed by what sounds like two dot matrix printers having rough sex.

I always tried to find an apt description for the sound of a zx spectrum loading cassette games, and that might just be it!

industrian said:
That sounds awesome.

I did an all-chicken diet last year for a few months, but I've yet to do an all-bacon one.
It was in the Bacon-stuffed Cinnabon thread in OT a couple months back. He was going crazy and saying how delicious it was. :lol

andthebeatgoeson

I ran into this problem with GTA4. Realized I kept loading up a previous mission because I keep all my consoles in the closet. Wii retains the date, no matter how long. I have to reset the time and date each time I plug the 360 in. Just another annoyance about a console so expensive.

morningbus said:
Don't VMUs just use a standard sized wristwatch battery?
A little fatter and very wide ones, I use to have to buy them from a chemist since they supplied tons of odd sized button batteries back then.

industrian

I AM JOHN! said:
It was in the Bacon-stuffed Cinnabon thread in OT a couple months back. He was going crazy and saying how delicious it was. :lol

The smell of bacon cooking must be the greatest smell on earth. I could be doing with something to eat right now.

Brandson

My 360 clock resets daily, I guess because I turn off the power going to all my electronics when not in use to save electricity. It doesn't look like Microsoft is going to start building well-made products any time soon so we'll just have to put up with it. I bought my 360 to play Fable 2, and since I thoroughly enjoyed that (as did my GF), we picked up Fable 1 also which has extended my 360's life in my entertainment centre. My GF was pretty confused by all her Fable 1 savegames having a 2005 date. Also, because our console's date resets to the same day every time, that's caused some minor annoyances in Fable 2 which does some things when you're not playing based on the console's date. And both Fable 1 and 2 like to lock up on us periodically, forcing us to save constantly. I don't know if MS or Lionhead is to blame for that but I've never had a console game lock up for me before on any other platform.

Once we're done with Fable, I have a feeling the 360 is going to get packed away until Lionhead's next game. It was totally worth buying just for Fable 2 (which is easily my GOTY), but I really hope Microsoft doesn't cut as many corners in their next system.

Top Bottom