• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

Tess3ract

Banned
star-trek-into-darkness-teaser-poster-revealed-122622-00-470-75.jpg

dark-n-edgy-trek? complete with long black cape
I have never groaned this hard nor been so full of sorrow.

Star Trek is dead :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
For some reason, I'm reminded of that Enterprise episode where they blow up Florida. lol

Look forward to what will probably be another generic action movie. Yippie.

Anyhow, anyone pick up TNG S2 today?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just watched the first episode TNG on Netflix and man they were one jumpy ass crew, which also had a hard time listening to the captain. Can't wait to get through season 1 and onto 2.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Going through the new Measure of a Man and 80s TV directing is just so quaint. So many close ups/reaction shots just to remind the dumb TV audience how each character is feeling at each moment.

Finishing the episode, I'm surprised that it didn't really feel that much longer than a standard episode. I haven't seen the original in years, so I can't remember what is new, but... a lot of the episodes were all fairly slow anyway.

For super nerds, there's also a commentary on the epsiode with the Okudas and Snodgrass and also a cut based on the original VHS copy that Snodgrass had that they used for reference in order to make the extended episode (which is very useful for the sake seeing exactly which scenes are new are not).

I do find it interesting that Snodgrass practically disappeared after TNG S3. I guess when Roddenberry was off the show, she left as well (ushering in the Pillar/Taylor/Moore/Braga era).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I honestly thought those were some kind of alien species or something until I looked them up, haha.
lol

I'm a nerd, so I still remember all those names. :(

Funny enough, other than Espensen, I have no idea who the "hot" science fiction television people are nowadays.

Does anyone of German GAF know if Enterprise is currently airing somewhere on TV? Tele 5 recently re-ran DS9 so I finally wanted to watch Enterprise in it's entirety too but I can't afford to spend 100€ on the DVDs right before Christmas :(

Zzoram

Just watched the first episode TNG on Netflix and man they were one jumpy ass crew, which also had a hard time listening to the captain. Can't wait to get through season 1 and onto 2.

Season 1 and 2 were both pretty weak with the exception of maybe 4 episodes per season. Season 3 onward is when TNG gets good.

TOS is the opposite, season 1 is the best and there are only a few episodes in season 2 and 3 that are good.

DS9 is pretty consistently good, although there are a few more bad episodes in season 1 and 2 than the rest of the seasons.

Voyager is very hit or miss. The two-part episodes were generally good though.

Enterprise season 4 is by far the best (just don't watch the last episode). The rest is pretty throwaway.

Season 1 and 2 were both pretty weak with the exception of maybe 4 episodes per season. Season 3 onward is when TNG gets good.

Season 2 is a bit better then that, I mean we have

A Matter of Honor
The Measure of a Man
Time Squared
______ Who
Peak Performance

As great episodes, with Measure and Who being candidates for best of the series.

Where Silence Has Lease
Contagion
The Icarus factor

Are also pretty good.

I personally also love "The Royale", though most people seem to hate it

tuffy

Cool!

Mine hasn't even shipped yet, but I'm guessing the response was far more then they expected

Is it swish?
My CD ripper will be very busy for the next few hours. My first impressions are that it's absolutely packed with liner notes. Not only does each of the three season sub-boxes have a big chunk of notes, but there's a whole other ~20 page set of notes between those and the outer box - which made it hard to get the discs out. They really did a lot of work on the set and it shows.

kharma45

Season 2 is a bit better then that, I mean we have

A Matter of Honor
The Measure of a Man
Time Squared
______ Who
Peak Performance

As great episodes, with Measure and Who being candidates for best of the series.

Where Silence Has Lease
Contagion
The Icarus factor

Are also pretty good.

I personally also love "The Royale", though most people seem to hate it

I quite liked The Royale too, you're not alone :p

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Watching the original series. Randomly the Klingons got black/brown skin in S3E7.

Cheerilee

Wasn't he still pretty well-known back then?

I only ever knew his name because the Simpsons referred to him and his failed post-SNL career a few times around season 3.

I was curious so I checked IMDB. He appeared in the aforementioned Johnny Dangerously with second-billing under Michael Keaton. Then he appeared in Wise Guys with second-billing under Danny DeVito.

Then in 1988 (the same year as the TNG episode) he appeared in Dead Heat, apparently a zombie/cop movie, with second billing under Treat Williams, a man who I've never heard of, but apparently he once had an uncredited role as a Stormtrooper in Empire Strikes Back. And guess who was also in this movie? Robert Picardo! Oh and, Vincent Price too. I have a strange desire to see this movie now.

maharg

idspispopd
I wonder how many second rate actors have an "uncredited role as a stormtrooper' in their portfolio. Try to disprove that one.

I'm really LTTP here...having never watched DS9, and only heard wonderful things about it...I started on DS9...season 1 episode 1 a few months ago.

I watched till the episode where the Ferengis were electing(?) a new head of commerce or something, and Quark found out that the coffers were empty. For some reason, I couldn't find myself to finish that episode. And months have passed, and I still haven't gotten the will to continue on my DS9 quest for completion.

Notes:

- Is Sisko always so wooden?
- Will he continue to be this wooden?
- Any scene with Garruk is awesome
- Haven't really found any character likeable yet, maybe Dax, Bashir and O'Brien

I grew up on TNG and Voyager

KarmaCow

Sisko sorta works like TNG and Riker. He gets better when he gets facial hair, though that might be because I grew to accept him rather than Avery Brooks actually getting better.

I'm really LTTP here...having never watched DS9, and only heard wonderful things about it...I started on DS9...season 1 episode 1 a few months ago.

I watched till the episode where the Ferengis were electing(?) a new head of commerce or something, and Quark found out that the coffers were empty. For some reason, I couldn't find myself to finish that episode. And months have passed, and I still haven't gotten the will to continue on my DS9 quest for completion.

Notes:

- Haven't really found any character likeable yet, maybe Dax, Bashir and O'Brien

Keep watching it. You'll appreciate it more when it's all over and you look back on it. At least that's how it was for me. I disliked it a fair bit at first as well and grew up on TNG and VOY also.

Sisko stays wooden though. I mean, yeah he'll show emotion and stuff, but Brooks is nowhere near the actor that Stewart is. Yes, I said it.

He also went batshit insane at some point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AECEnj6r6k8 (no show spoilers)

jb1234

Notes:

Early DS9 is uneven (although no more so than mid-TNG) but stick with it and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I think it's the best of the Star Trek series. Certainly the most ambitious.

Avery Brooks is an acquired taste. If you don't care for him now, you might never, although he loosens up a bit after season 3.

Top Bottom