• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge DLC

Endless

Guildford, UK. – Dec 4, 2008 – Leave the city behind! DICE, an Electronic Arts Inc. studio (NASDAQ: ERTS), today announced that the highly acclaimed first-person action adventure title, Mirror’s Edge™ will release downloadable content (DLC) for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system and the PC in late January. DICE also confirmed today that the PC version of the game will ship to retailers in North America on January 13th and worldwide on January 16th, 2009.

Players will be challenged to achieve the fastest times possible on nine races across seven all-new and totally redesigned Time Trial maps. No guns, no cops, and no city: this is true aesthetics, agility and flow that will challenge any runner. This special DLC pack will be available for $10 USD or 800 Microsoft points. As an added bonus, all PLAYSTATION 3 Mirror’s Edge fans will be able to download an additional map for free.

“The freedom of movement and control in first person has been the most popular aspect of Mirror’s Edge so we decided to distil these down to their purest form for this map pack,” says Owen O’Brien, Senior Producer, DICE. “We deliberately chose a more abstract aesthetic that is still within our distinctive art style and then focused on flow and gameplay to create an experience and challenge very different from the main game.” Time Trial is a popular mode in Mirror’s Edge that challenges players to find the fastest route across various maps. Players can upload their best time to the Mirror’s Edge leaderboards for their friends to download and compete against. Players can see their friend’s ‘ghost’ run as they race their way through the course to the top of the leaderboards.

Mirror’s Edge was awarded “Best Xbox 360 Game” at the recent GC Developers Conference in Leipzig, Germany. It also received the “Best Action Game” of Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) by IGN and the Game Critics Award for “Best Original Game” at E3 in July. Mirror’s Edge delivers players straight into the shoes of Faith, a modern day heroine who traverses the vertigo-inducing cityscape, engaging in intense combat, fast-paced chases and challenging puzzles. With a never-before-seen sense of movement and perspective, players are drawn into Faith’s dangerous world.

Video

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit at the screens! I can't wait.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Visually, it reminds of one of those god forsakenly awful (thanks to the controls, not the visual design) CS platforming maps that my friend made me play once. I think it was called Galaxy or something.

Is this DLC exclusive to any platform?

I miss time trials and mission modes being included on the disc...

Y'know, to add longevity to your 7 hour game.

EDIT: That sounded cycnical, but I just got done watching the Zero Punctuation review of Mirror's Edge and that would make anyone cynical.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Just wow at those. I haven't even played the main game yet, can't wait do so later this month.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Dead Man Typing said:

It's a good thing there were over 20 maps included on the disc as well as speed run options for the campaign mode. You know, the sort that added at least 5 hours to my play time.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Dead Man Typing said:

EDIT: That sounded cycnical, but I just got done watching the Zero Punctuation review of Mirror's Edge and that would make anyone cynical.

Hm?

There is both speed runs and time trials availible in the game, and the latter with a whole bunch of various maps?

zaidr

SolidSnakex said:
Wow, they actually managed to make the visual design of the DLC time trials even more impressive than the game.

Blasphemer! Be gone!

The visual style of the game is amazing...haven't seen the video yet, but not having a yellow and black room like in the game already means it doesn't live up to the original levels. I loved the interiors in that game. Also, texture work in some areas was the best I've seen this gen. Maybe not the most high def, but the most realistic looking I've seen yet. The simple fact that there are no textures here means it doesn't compare to the original game.

I like what these DLC maps look like, but lets not get carried away here...:D

so...PS3 only? :(

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Looks like a ton of fun, but it also looks like the sort of thing a solo modder makes in his free time because he doesn't have people with graphics talent at his whim. Solid color blocks and such. So my PC gamer insides growl at the $10 price, but that's a tired discussion point.

zaidr said:
Blasphemer! Be gone!

The visual style of the game is amazing...haven't seen the video yet, but not having a yellow and black room like in the game already means it doesn't live up to the original levels. I loved the interiors in that game. Also, texture work in some areas was the best I've seen this gen. Maybe not the most high def, but the most realistic looking I've seen yet. The simple fact that there are no textures here means it doesn't compare to the original game.

Eh? I'm not knocking the game, it's my favorite game of this generation. I just think the visual design here looks even more impressive than the visual design in the main game which is already impressive.

zaidr said:
so...PS3 only? :(

It's at least for the PS3 and 360. No word on when the PS3 exclusive DLC will come or what it'll be.

SolidSnakex said:
It's at least for the PS3 and 360. No word on when the PS3 exclusive DLC will come or what it'll be.

Srsly?!? WoooOOOooo.

If they make the DLC totally out there and race focused with no combat, man I think that would be a worthwhile package on its own, just as a platform for a Human Wipeout Pure Designer's Pack Eternal.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
EviLore said:
Looks like a ton of fun, but it also looks like the sort of thing a solo modder makes in his free time because he doesn't have people with graphics talent at his whim. Solid color blocks and such. So my PC gamer insides growl at the $10 price, but that's a tired discussion point.

I agree. I'm disappointed.

Not gonna pay 10 bucks for some solid colored blocks and bars.

zaidr

SolidSnakex said:

So this isn't the PS3 exclusive content?

I just hope EA make back enough from DLC and whatnot to think of Mirror's Edge as a fiscal success and make a sequel. (GAF tells me it didn't sell well?)

itsinmyveins

EviLore said:
Looks like a ton of fun, but it also looks like the sort of thing a solo modder makes in his free time because he doesn't have people with graphics talent at his whim. Solid color blocks and such.

You mean like a bunch of cool levels? I'm just thinking, what's the point of adding something to that, visually? If anything I'd say it'd make the levels look worse.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
ItsInMyVeins said:
I'm just thinking, what's the point of adding something to that, visually? If anything I'd say it'd make the levels look worse.

Wrong.

itsinmyveins

Osaka said:

Well, no, I just said you were wrong. We're talking about time trial here, in a first person platformer. Adding a lot of visual details -- highly detailed textures and etc -- would probably just make it more annoying to play.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
for some reason looking at this made me decide to buy the game.

Arcipello

This is sooo much more appealing to me than the full game! i would like it if they could release this as a standalone download game.

El-Suave

I don't know if I'll be able to deal with these maps. I think I like my levels a bit more grounded and less abstract. I want to support the game though. We'll see.

Arcipello

ItsInMyVeins said:
Well, no, I just said you were wrong. We're talking about time trial here, in a first person platformer. Adding a lot of visual details -- highly detailed textures and etc -- would probably just make it more annoying to play.

yeah lets cover those well defined pretty clean colours with dirt and detail maps so that it looks as good as all the other "new gen" games... the world is a dirty place so all games should be also!

catfish said:
for some reason looking at this made me decide to buy the game.
I didn't bought the game yet but was planning to buy it before the end of the year.
Now I don't know if i should wait for a "definitive version" with DLC included... I just don't want to pay more than 70€ for all this ! (game + DLC)

Edit : And for the design haters you should all buy some new eyes !!! Adding textures or more polygons would kill the spirit of the game.

Apo

The design remembers me a bit of some Quake 3 DeFRaG and trickjumping maps.
Most people probably don't know what that is. :(

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Arcipello said:
yeah lets cover those well defined pretty clean colours with dirt and detail maps so that it looks as good as all the other "new gen" games... the world is a dirty place so all games should be also!

Yeah because Mirror's Edge's environments are so goddamn dirt- wait, oh I get it, you're being sarcastic!

itsinmyveins

Osaka said:
Yeah because Mirror's Edge's environments are so goddamn dirt- wait, oh I get it, you're being sarcastic!

Wouldn't the whole look be kind of weird if they put building textures in such abstract environments and on blocks hanging in the air?

First thing I thought of was this counter strike map.
texture_1.jpg

ItsInMyVeins said:
Wouldn't the whole look be kind of weird if they put building textures in such abstract environments and on blocks hanging in the air?

Also, having none of us played it, it's quite possible that the levels were designed specifically for this style and that the routes would be unplayable in "typical" environs.

itsinmyveins

BenjaminBirdie said:
Also, having none of us played it, it's quite possible that the levels were designed specifically for this style and that the routes would be unplayable in "typical" environs.

Well, yeah, most likely. With an abstract level you can do more, because you don't have to bother with making it seem realistic or anything to the same extent. Instead of making each block a part of a building -- which takes up space -- they can just throw the blocks out in the air and let them hang there.

Rlan said:
I can hear the acapella Mario theme now :)
seriously...

this looks more fun than the real game (which I loved).

More games need to cut the fat and focus on their most important gameplay elements. This looks awesome.

sky

Looks really confusing... not sure if that's in a good or bad way.
Might try it out, though.

Top Bottom