• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

this week news japanese gaming mag are out already...?

Tenbatsu

Hero of Legend said:
The magazine showed up on the interwebs on Oct 1st, and the game was 33% complete.

Yeah, only 7% in two and a half months?! :/
Dont forget SFIV!! Its was like 40 or 50% done and 2/3 months later, its in the arcade already!

Dam the scanners are having a holidays?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wii beat PSP. :eek:

Was wondering if that was gonna happen anytime soon. They've been so close for a while.

Tell me more about this 2D PS2 game. Please don't tell me it's that date sim link in the OP. Please tell me it's of the action, platform and/or shooter genre.

Tidbits from a Gemaga interview with a few big developers ->

Inafune (Capcom) :
-Regarding Resident Evil 5, he says that their experience with Mega Man 9 in parallel turned out to be useful when it came to tackle the online aspect and more particularly to come to grips with the online services/infrastructures.
- He would never, ever make a casual game such as Brain Training.
- He was right about which hardware would win the systems war, but he never thought the DS would be selling that much. " Sorry (for doubting you), Mr. Nintendo" :lol

Kawazu (Square-Enix) :

- There might be a SaGa related surprise for the 20th anniversary of the series next year.

Yoshizumi (Namco):

- The Tales of Wii battle system has innovations that will, apparently, greatly impress people. "Please look forward to it"

Terada (Super Robot War's producer):

- They might "reposition their development" on the second half of 2009...

Hino (Level 5):

-DQIX is truly entering final preparation stage. About the multiplayer aspect, he mentions that they are making it such as its mechanisms give a unique flavor compared to every Online RPG before.
-'Ni no Kuni' is still on track for 2009.

Sugiyama (Koei) :

- Hopes the Wii user will like Sengoku Musou 3
- Was really impressed by Smash Bros Brawl

Source : 2ch

Rpgmonkey

Stormbringer said:
Kawazu (Square-Enix) :

- There might be a SaGa related surprise for the 20th anniversary of the series next year.

Yoshizumi (Namco):

- The Tales of Wii battle system has innovations that will, apparently, greatly impress people. "Please look forward to it"

Hino (Level 5):

-DQIX is truly entering final preparation stage. About the multiplayer aspect, he mentions that they are making it such as its mechanism give a unique flavor compared to every Online RPG before.

Cool.

Weird to see DQIX is finally almost done. Gonna be just as strange, if not stranger when FFXIII is nearing its release. :lol

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
DQ9 is online ?

btw. Yeah it seems like 09 most J-Devs will announce/release their bigger games on Wii.

Stormbringer said:
Terada (Super Robot War's producer):

- They might "reposition their development" on the second half of 2009...

Oh God.

I REALLY want an SRW game developed from the ground up on an HD console. Don't make me sad...

cw_sasuke said:
btw. Yeah it seems like 09 most J-Devs will announce/release their bigger games on Wii.
Well, it's worth noting that this report is actually biased in some way, as the guy who posted it specifically said that he would only point out the Nintendo related bits (or what he believes could hint at some Nintendo related stuff). I would think that there is in fact, a bit more to these interviews that the Nintendo/Wii related stuff (such as, for example, the Toshihiro Nagoshi interview, which he simply and entirely neglected on the pretext that there was "Nothing in particular", meaning probably : "Nothing Nintendo related" :p ) .

Mr.Wuggles

Neo Member
Stormbringer said:
- He was right about which hardware would win the systems war, but he never thought the DS would be selling that much. " Sorry (for doubting you), Mr. Nintendo" :lol

so why has it gotten such mediocre support from Capcom? :(

Kawazu (Square-Enix) :

:eek: woot. i doubt it's just a VC/PSN re-release, because I beleive Saga Frontier 1 (and i think 2) are already on PSN. hoping for a new game.

Deku

Banned
Rpgmonkey said:
Cool.

Weird to see DQIX is finally almost done. Gonna be just as strange, if not stranger when FFXIII is nearing its release. :lol
Whats so strange? VII,VIII both took 3+ years from announcement to release, both came out at the end of the console's lifespan. IX is actually ahead of schedule.

zoku88

Deku said:
Whats so strange? VII,VIII both took 3+ years from announcement to release, both came out at the end of the console's lifespan. IX is actually ahead of schedule.
I think that's what he means is weird. He's used to seeing it not almost done.

Or something like that.

I could be wrong though.

EDIT: Crap, I hate being wrong.

Rpgmonkey

Deku said:

For the most part I don't watch most games from their announcement up to their release, especially SE games.

IX is actually the first time I kinda kept an eye on a DQ game since it got announced, so this wait is new for me.

TreIII

Sugiyama said:
- Hopes the Wii user will like Sengoku Musou 3

I hope so too.

distantmantra said:
Oh God.

I REALLY want an SRW game developed from the ground up on an HD console. Don't make me sad...

...Yeah, right. :lol

They may actually have the desire to do so, but money talks, and they probably don't have the resources to do such a thing.

At "best", they may push the series to the Wii at long last (like pretty every other JP developer is doing). At "worst", it'll be probably another type of PS2 release.

lupinko

TreIII said:
I hope so too.

They may actually have the desire to do so, but money talks, and they probably don't have the resources to do such a thing.

At "best", they may push the series to the Wii at long last (like pretty every other JP developer is doing). At "worst", it'll be probably another type of PS2 release.

Oh you know they'll just report SRWGC/XO to wii with wiimote pointer ability.

More tidbits from the same devs + a few new names :

Kawazu :

- They made the Last Remnant characters with the Western audience in mind
- They want to make more turn-based RPGs in the future.
- Given the superior technological strength of the West, they wanted to show, with Last Remnant, that they could "do it" too.
- " It's a time when you game-lovers must feel concerned"

Nagoshi :

- Before, you wouldn't make software for hardware which wouldn't sell. Things are now different. It's now a matter of fighting so the resources dedicated to the HD consoles wouldn't decrease.
- Making titles that actively justify the existence of the high-end consoles is a personal mission
- The 'multiplatformization' of the game software has little meaning. Digging further into each platform's characteristics and nature is what is interesting.
- He wants to make a new game using his experience with Yakuza/Ryu Ga Gotoku. He is also considering worldwide development, though he is worried about the stance that consists of appealing to the Western audience before the Japanese audience.

Marvelous Entertainment:

- Starting with Little King's Story, they plan to fully support the Wii with a line-up of top-class games. That's their ambition.

Yoshizumi :

- Tales of isn't selling well in the West in comparison to Japan. He wishes American and European would play it more.
- For his next project on an HD system, he would want to make it very detailed, with a painting-like style to it.

Terada :

- "Whichever hardware you choose to put your game on, you have to save the results of this choice".
-"You really have to support multiplatform gaming and portable gaming, don't you ?"

Yamauchi (Polyphony Digital) :

- With the exception of 17 overseas business trips, and 3 months during which the workplace was empty, the studio was pretty much confined
- They would have wanted to get GT5 out in 2009
- As they are exclusively in charge of car games, they want to make a distinctive new title. [not sure if this means a new Racing game IP, or a new IP entirely]

Sugiyama (Koei)

- He believes they put out too many big titles for the PS3 and X360 in 2008, and the market got a bit crowded. For next year, they will limit themselves to 3-4 titles.
- More DS titles such as Saihai no Yukue, as these seem fairly popular with DS users.
- Sengoku Musou 3 is on Wii because he thought the Wii audience would like it
- The PSP Musou Orochi was developed by an oversea studio.
- They will continue to cater to the audience that is interested in titles such as Oryori Navi : Marugoto Teikoku Hotel DS, as this audience matches the console.
- The first half of 2008 has been record high for the management.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Stormbringer said:
Kawazu (Square-Enix) :

:rock :rock :rock

I wouldn't mind seeing an FFL2 remake or a Romancing SaGa 2 remake, myself.

jesusraz

Stormbringer said:
Yoshizumi :

- Tales of isn't selling well in the West in comparison to Japan. He wishes American and European would play it more.
Well, perhaps if more of the game's actually made it to Europe then sales would be higher. And don't just rely on Third Parties to do the work for you. There's a dedicated Bandai Namco European office now, so make full use of it and bring games like Tales of Innocence / Hearts to the fanbase that wants it. You can't sell what you don't release and the Tales franchise just hasn't been given anywhere near enough of a chance over here.

RurouniZel said:
Seriously, I did a double take on that. I never knew there were people who made it their personal mission to lose money.

I doubt Sega would give him as much freedom as he has if his games were losing money for them.

Johann

SolidSnakex said:
I doubt Sega would give him as much freedom as he has if his games were losing money for them.

This is Sega we are talking about. They want to lose as much money as possible in the most efficient way possible.

:Glares at Valkyria's US release:

Stormbringer said:
- Given the superior technological strength of the West, they wanted to show, with Last Remnant, that they could "do it" too.

I really want to say something with this but I'm not sure if I should say it.

TreIII said:
I hope so too.

I could definitely see them being able to do 2D computerized sprites or hand-drawn sprites but sprites with "pixel art"? A bit out of their league. Yeah if they're moving to another platform it will most likely be the Wii.

Eteric Rice

By using Western technology? Make your own engine, sir.

- Making titles that actively justify the existence of the high-end consoles is a personal mission

That is in some strange way, sad.

Dascu

Eteric Rice said:
That is in some strange way, sad...
Well, to be honest, I'd say Yakuza 3 looks like one of the most impressive Japanese PS3 games right now.
Stealth edit?

Eteric Rice

Dascu said:
Well, to be honest, I'd say Yakuza 3 looks like one of the most impressive Japanese PS3 games right now.
Stealth edit?

Yeah, I took away the ellipsis.

What I find strange about it is that he's trying to justify it. Makes you wonder who he's trying to justify it for? Is Sega pushing for less HD games?

That's what I'm wondering.

duckroll

Eteric Rice said:
Yeah, I took away the ellipsis.

What I find strange about it is that he's trying to justify it. Makes you wonder who he's trying to justify it for? Is Sega pushing for less HD games?

That's what I'm wondering.

Maybe he wants to justify it because he WANTS to produce more high definition games? Why did Dark Knight film scenes in IMAX even though the actual audience for IMAX cinemas is much smaller? Because it's cool to use advanced technology to make stuff that looks way better than before. Is it something you simply cannot appreciate? If you can make something that looks awesome, and keep it profitable and hence keep doing it, why is that a bad thing?

Yoshizumi :

- For his next project on an HD system, he would want to make it very detailed, with a painting-like style to it.
The hell, Namco? We only got Symphonia GC, Eternia PSP and Phantasia GBA. And they all sold well (well, the only one we don't know for sure is Phantasia GBA, but hey, it's the smallest game of the three).
So don't blame on us your poor sales: blame yourselves for not bringing Legendia, Abyss, Innocence, Vesperia, Rebirth PSP, and Symphonia 2 (yet...)

Edit: I forgot ToW:RM for PSP... but Ubi said it sold quite well, if I'm not mistaken.

Eteric Rice

duckroll said:
Maybe he wants to justify it because he WANTS to produce more high definition games? Why did Dark Knight film scenes in IMAX even though the actual audience for IMAX cinemas is much smaller? Because it's cool to use advanced technology to make stuff that looks way better than before. Is it something you simply cannot appreciate? If you can make something that looks awesome, and keep it profitable and hence keep doing it, why is that a bad thing?

I don't care if he wants to produce HD games, what I'm wondering is why he felt the need to say that. I'm wondering about the company internally.

And get the hell off of my ass, sir. I've noticed you've been doing shit like this to people for the last few weeks, don't start with me.

duckroll

Nibelung Valesti said:
The hell, Namco? We only got Symphonia GC, Eternia PSP and Phantasia GBA. And they all sold well (well, the only one we don't know for sure is Phantasia GBA, but hey, it's the smallest game of the three).
So don't blame on us your poor sales: blame yourselves for not bringing Legendia, Abyss, Innocence, Vesperia, Rebirth PSP, and Symphonia 2 (yet...)

Yeah, I find it really odd that he would wish that more people in Europe would play Tales games, when ToV isn't slated for a Euro release until mid 2009. That's just hilarious nonsense.

Eteric Rice said:
I don't care if he wants to produce HD games, what I'm wondering is why he felt the need to say that. I'm wondering about the company internally.

And get the hell off of my ass, sir. I've noticed you've been doing shit like this to people for the last few weeks, don't start with me.

So he's not allowed to speak his mind when doing a casual year end interview with Famitsu about his thoughts on the industry, his outlook for the next year and his development philosophy? Because that's what the article was about. It was a year end outlook prospectus discussion with various producers and designers from the major companies.

Get off your ass for what? Stop whining like some child and be a man. People call you out on shit, you respond and have a proper conversation. Don't pretend to be a victim like some losers.

Eteric Rice said:

you always write stuff like this...to be honest you are probably just bitter he doesn't really want to work on the wii...most of these things can be boiled down to 'personal agenda'

I only care about the HD consoles so his thinking is fine by me

Eteric Rice

duckroll said:
Yeah, I find it really odd that he would wish that more people in Europe would play Tales games, when ToV isn't slated for a Euro release until mid 2009. That's just hilarious nonsense.

So he's not allowed to speak his mind when doing a casual year end interview with Famitsu about his thoughts on the industry, his outlook for the next year and his development philosophy? Because that's what the article was about. It was a year end outlook prospectus discussion with various producers and designers from the major companies.

Get off your ass for what? Stop whining like some child and be a man. People call you out on shit, you respond and have a proper conversation. Don't pretend to be a victim like some losers.

I didn't say anything about him speaking his mind, I'm wondering why he feels he has to justify development of HD games in Japan. I don't care if we wants to develop HD games, that's all fine and dandy. What I'm wondering about is the state of HD development in Japan, and if it's actually getting harder to develop HD games there.

Jesus Christ, you jump on me about some "omg what if he wants to develop for HD can't you respect that?" As I said I don't care, I'm thinking state of the industry, you don't have to defend HD development. Goddam.

And did you just tell someone to be a man on the internet? :lol

nelsonroyale said:
you always write stuff like this...to be honest you are probably just bitter he doesn't really want to work on the wii...most of these things can be boiled down to 'personal agenda'

I only care about the HD consoles so his thinking is fine by me

Didn't mean to come off that way. Sorry. :)

I'm a little cranky. I haven't slept (been farming gold on WoW for an epic flying skill).

duckroll

Eteric Rice said:
I didn't say anything about him speaking his mind, I'm wondering why he feels he has to justify development of HD games in Japan. I don't care if we wants to develop HD games, that's all fine and dandy. What I'm wondering about is the state of HD development in Japan, and if it's actually getting harder to develop HD games there.

Jesus Christ, you jump on me about some "omg what if he wants to develop for HD can't you respect that?" As I said I don't care, I'm thinking state of the industry, you don't have to fucking defend HD development. Goddam.

And did you just tell someone to be a man on the internet? :lol

He already stated that previously he developed mostly for the system that has the largest userbase, and then he goes on to explain why it's different for him this time. It's co-related. It's not like... a different point. He's just elaborating on the SAME point. Maybe it's hard to tell when it's broken down into point form, but in the actual article it's just a paragraph of text for each person.

I don't see how by answering your question I am automatically "defending" HD development. It seems that you have a security issue here. People are just trying to hold a conversation with you, and you're all defensive. What's wrong? Tell Doctor Duckroll. It's okay, I won't let the HD Gremlins bite you in your sleep anymore. Tell my how you really feel. :D

Eteric Rice

duckroll said:
He already stated that previously he developed mostly for the system that has the largest userbase, and then he goes on to explain why it's different for him this time. It's co-related. It's not like... a different point. He's just elaborating on the SAME point. Maybe it's hard to tell when it's broken down into point form, but in the actual article it's just a paragraph of text for each person.

I don't see how by answering your question I am automatically "defending" HD development. It seems that you have a security issue here. People are just trying to hold a conversation with you, and you're all defensive. What's wrong? Tell Doctor Duckroll. It's okay, I won't let the HD Gremlins bite you in your sleep anymore. Tell my how you really feel. :D

Not HD that's biting me, like I said, lack of sleep from farming the last of the 5000 gold I needed in WoW. :p

Anyway, I didn't see all of that.

But did he say why it's different? I might have missed that part (i'm sleepy) :(

Sorry if I'm a bit bitchy. Lol :p

griffon.jpg

Dascu

Question: Is there a Famitsu this week, due to New Year's and all? And if so, will it come out at the regular time or will it be delayed like certain manga chapters right now.

European Tales Releases
Big bang - 2003 = 0 Tales released
2004 = 1 Tales released
2005 = 0 Tales released
2006 = 2 Tales released
2007 = 1 Tales released
2008 = 0 Tales released

But he wishes Europeans would play it more. Amusing to say the least.

duckroll

Eteric Rice said:
Not HD that's biting me, like I said, lack of sleep from farming the last of the 5000 gold I needed in WoW. :p

Anyway, I didn't see all of that.

But did he say why it's different? I might have missed that part (i'm sleepy) :(

Sorry if I'm a bit bitchy. Lol :p

He basically wants to push technology to make strong Japanese HD level games. It's a lot like how Kojima felt about MGS4. With RgG Kenzan, Nagoshi has already had a go at HD and he liked it. The game sold okay too, so he's simply hoping that with RgG3 he can get even better sales and justify probably to -himself- that it's possible to do big budget games like this and still make a profit to keep doing it. That's all.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
European Tales Releases
Big bang - 2003 = 0 Tales released
2004 = 1 Tales released
2005 = 0 Tales released
2006 = 2 Tales released
2007 = 1 Tales released
2008 = 0 Tales released

But he wishes Europeans would play it more. Amusing to say the least.

Yeah he's being really silly, but to be fair, at least he's ADMITTING that the Tales series is going down the shitter in terms of sales. Realization is the first step! :lol

Kyoufu

The million dollar question: Why the long ass delay for ToV PAL?

Not that I care about 3D Tales games a great deal but it seems that its one of the better JRPGs this gen so far, so why the fuck isn't it out here yet?

Eteric Rice

duckroll said:
He basically wants to push technology to make strong Japanese HD level games. It's a lot like how Kojima felt about MGS4. With RgG Kenzan, Nagoshi has already had a go at HD and he liked it. The game sold okay too, so he's simply hoping that with RgG3 he can get even better sales and justify probably to -himself- that it's possible to do big budget games like this and still make a profit to keep doing it. That's all.

I see.

You should have said that in the first place. Or maybe I missed it? I probably did. I think I'm going to get some sleep now.

ElFly

Neo C. said:
Will MHG Wii be a (relative) flop? Doesn't CC mandatory mean that a large part of Wii owners won't be able to play the game or will lose interest because they first have to buy the CC?

Well, I guess it will still bring the invested money back at least.

Maybe Nintendo will create a bundle with the CC?

Top Bottom